Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2020, 01:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

The Crown 4x02 Episode Discussion

Season 4 Episode 2 "The Balmoral Test"

Previous episode | Next episode

Margaret Thatcher visits Balmoral but has trouble fitting in with the royal family, while Charles finds himself torn between his heart and family duty.

Last edited by JoJoF92; 11-25-2020 at 03:07 AM
Old 11-15-2020, 08:52 PM
Moderator Manager

This is my favorite ep so far.

Thatcher and her husband are invited to Balmoral and it was awkward all around. I LOVE the scenes with Thatcher and Margaret (HBC slaying this role as always) and towards the end with QE & Thatcher. I was laughing again at the dialogue on this one. Philip & Anne arguing about the stag and then Thatcher & her husband convo upon arriving at Balmoral:

Thatcher: Are we allowed to sleep in one bed?
Denis: I shall go and check with the protocol sheet.

LMAO!!!!!!

The rest of the family meet Diana too and unlike Thatcher, she passed with flying colors. The family loves her.

I also want to point out that one thing I hate about the royal family is their passion for trophy or game hunting. I'm not gonna go into a tirade about it on this thread but I don't support this and I personally want it banned all over the world.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Also when the Thatchers left early, Margaret claiming she'd been very nice to them was hilarious.

The family are seen as really quite manipulative with regard to Diana and Charles. No consideration whether they actually suit each other, or to get them to spend plenty of time together to get to know one another.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:03 AM
Moderator Manager

Yes and that too. I was laughing and Gillian's delivery was on point.

Indeed. Even Charles was like what's the rush? They barely knew each other and they were already engaged so quickly. If only they had spent more time getting to know each other.

Old 11-16-2020, 05:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)

I also want to point out that one thing I hate about the royal family is their passion for trophy or game hunting. I'm not gonna go into a tirade about it on this thread but I don't support this and I personally want it banned all over the world.
I don't really know the length of it but to me it seems that they're not doing it senselessly just for the sake of it. Unfortunately in some parts of Europe the wildlife has to be contained because they cause lots of problems (damaging gardens, causing loads of car accidents by crossing roads). It's like that in my country too, and while I don't support it at all unfortunately it is necessary They won't go extinct this way or anything and we have seasons for it so it's only legal in certain periods of the year

Old 11-16-2020, 08:16 PM
Moderator Manager

Thanks for explaining but it still doesn't make me feel okay about it. I know it's legal in some countries and necessary but I just can't wrap my brain around why it's necessary and that some people enjoy doing it.

Old 11-19-2020, 04:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

I kinda liked the scene where the Queen took Thatcher for hunting but then send her back again because her wardrobe was too flashy and she'd rather see her in something more neutral to blend in with the environment
the scene with Margaret and the chair Thatcher sat in was pretty cool too!

I don't like the hunting either but it seems a very royal thing to do.. all I could think of was poor Deer!

I did like the scenes with Diana and Philip (in the last ep of the season they have another great scene)
Is it a known fact that these two actually got along pretty well?

x

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]

Last edited by heartღaflutter; 11-19-2020 at 04:35 AM
Old 11-19-2020, 08:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think Philip did sympathise with Diana. He wrote her supportive letters.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:51 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartღaflutter (View Post)
the scene with Margaret and the chair Thatcher sat in was pretty cool too!
Margaret reminds me of one of my aunts who I try to avoid at the family parties.

Quote:
Is it a known fact that these two actually got along pretty well?
It looks like it and I had no idea until this season.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Good episode. I did find thatcher and her husband hilarious trying to fit in. I do think the queen did try with Thatcher though although she should have mentioned about her clothes. I would have failed balmoral to but I did enjoy the drinking game. I am not a hunting person but I am okay as long as it's not a endangered species. Yeah the family should not have rushed Charles and Diana. I did like Philip and dianna though it was sweet.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Thanks for explaining but it still doesn't make me feel okay about it. I know it's legal in some countries and necessary but I just can't wrap my brain around why it's necessary and that some people enjoy doing it.
yeah I hate it too regardless

Old 11-23-2020, 04:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Thatcher: Are we allowed to sleep in one bed?
Denis: I shall go and check with the protocol sheet.
And she didn't want the maid unpacking for him. Her relationship with her husband seems to be the only genuine thing about her.

I'm definitely not a fan of the hunting even though I eat meat so I guess that makes me a hypocrite especially because I've eaten deer before.

You would think I hated Gillian with how annoyed I get every time Thatcher comes on my screen. I don't even feel like I'm watching Gillian, it's so bizarre. Yes, I think it's great that Thatcher was the first female PM but it also just shows how misogynistic all of it is. She complains about being patronized and lectured but I'm sure that's the exact way she would treat other women who worked for her. Her and her husband not being used to royal customs was funny or maybe I just like to see her struggle. I cringe every time she does that damn exaggerated curtsy in front of the Queen.

I'm really not surprised that she's socially inept. Watching her play that game was so painful omg.

"She was rather hopeless."

And then the way she dressed to go hunting, yikes! I felt kinda bad for her when the Queen didn't disagree with her going back to change lol. I liked the exchange between her and Princess Margaret because I feel like she can challenge Thatcher.

They already want to get rid of Thatcher. I don't know how I feel about her scene with the Queen at the end but I definitely didn't feel bad that people don't like her or her policies. Especially because she is so comfortable with having enemies. Or perhaps it's all a façade. I'm so conflicted because I want to root for a woman but not this one. However, Gillian is executing her scenes brilliantly!

Charles is so toxic, damn! The way he gets a kick out of making Camilla jealous. And the fact that she's so willing to be a part of this mess. Charles doesn't even think highly of Diana, he thinks she's immature and unworthy. Part of me wishes him and Diana would have never happened except we wouldn't have William and Harry. Otherwise I want to scream for Diana to save herself.

"Is this a friend friend or a girlfriend." The way they're waiting for her to fail. The body shaming from Princess Anne was gross. I liked the scenes with Diana and Philip, at least he's being kind to her.
a meaningful, sane existence
Old 11-23-2020, 07:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I eat meat and chicken too. Its maybe I am not so outraged. I enjoy Thatcher. I kind of detach myself from politics when I watch her and just enjoy Gillian portrayal
Old 11-23-2020, 08:22 PM
Moderator Manager

I thought the show did a good job of portraying Thatcher which means Gillian nailed it as well.

Quote:
"Is this a friend friend or a girlfriend." The way they're waiting for her to fail.
Anne: She's in the balance.

Which is loosely translated to "she's here because we're gonna test her". QE was asking that because they'd adjust accordingly if she was a gf or if she was just a friend.