Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

The Crown 2x09 "Paterfamilias" Episode Discussion

Paterfamilias

Philip insist that Prince Charles attend his alma mater in Scotland and reminisces about the life-changing difficulties he experienced there.

Last edited by JoJoF92; 12-28-2017 at 11:26 AM
Old 12-09-2017, 04:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

I really liked that this episode focused on Charles because we haven't really seen the kids get into spotlight on the show yet of course they're older now and they have their own life that's just beginning.

I gotta say, he's one member of the royal family who I don't really like, because of what's happened to Diana but of course I couldn't help but feel sorry for him as a kid. maybe those experiences played a part in those events, who knows..

it must've been really hard to grow up with such an ambitious and strong father, when Charles himself was so different and Philip was expecting so much from him. it must've been awful too, to not live up to those expectations because you feel like a disappointment

it was great to see Philip's childhood in comparison to Charles', of course very sad too. he had a real difficult life early on but he was a different character. he had to live through such horrible things, and the death of his favorite sister he was so close with probably never left him and his father even blamed him for that...that's just a terrible thing to live with.

when Charles was taking that challenge at college and then he got back very late after they found him was such a heartbreaking scene. I was sobbing hard at it because you could feel he was so sad to let his father down like that. and then on the way back home on the plane, I thought Philip was being too hard on him he was too sensitive for him I'm not sure it was right of him to snap at Charles.. that surely didn't help.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:42 AM
Moderator Manager

I like this episode too. How good was the casting of this young Charles? Those ears were the dead giveaway.

Ditto. I didn't like him only because of what happened between him & Diana. But to actually have this ep and learn about how hard it was for him in school just made me sympathize with him. And that is what this show is doing to me, I'm more sympathetic to the Royal family now compared to before where I don't give a fig about them.

Philip's early life is indeed sad and tragic. The actor who played the young Philip was soooooo good. As do the actor who played the young Charles. Speaking of young Charles, I got a bit teary-eyed at all his scenes with Lord Mountabatten. They are close and I think, without spoiling anyone, this relationship will develop more in S3.

I didn't like that Philip was hell bent on making Charles go to school at Gordnstoun, it's horrible there. He got the support of his fellow classmates there because of the tragedy that happened to him. And the boys there are just bulling young Philip and now young Charles. So now we know why Charles let William go to Eton instead.

But yeah, poor Charles. He didn't want to disappoint his father. Philip did explain to him that he doesn't care if he won and what matters was he is able to fend for himself. But then he snapped at him because he can't seem to toughen up. He's right about not "baby-ing" Charles but having him go through those stuff in school and suffer being bullied by his classmates isn't the way to go about it. Also, he's the heir so only the best for Charles.

I'm actually also glad for the focus on Charles. I think we will definitely get more focus on him in future seasons along with Prince Andrew. I don't know much about Princess Ann & Prince Edward so I actually want some focus on them but the two kids of Philip & Elizabeth that were in the news a lot back then as far as I can recall (I was still a kid so I can't really remember much) are Charles & Andrew.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
I like this episode too. How good was the casting of this young Charles? Those ears were the dead giveaway.
I knoow he was great
Quote:
I'm actually also glad for the focus on Charles. I think we will definitely get more focus on him in future seasons along with Prince Andrew. I don't know much about Princess Ann & Prince Edward so I actually want some focus on them but the two kids of Philip & Elizabeth that were in the news a lot back then as far as I can recall (I was still a kid so I can't really remember much) are Charles & Andrew.
tbh I only learnt about the existence of Edward on the show so when Elizabeth was expecting again, I was scared that she might lose the baby because I hadn't known about a fourth child

Old 12-11-2017, 01:46 AM
Moderator Manager

LMAO! Prince Edward is like the forgotten E/P child, I swear. Before watching this show, I didn't know E/P had 4 children. I only knew Charles & Andrew. It goes to show how very little we know about the Royal family before this show.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

well, I used to know as much as was on tv, so if some of the heirs aren't very public then I won't know about them but one reason I watch these shows is definitely because I want to know more, what you can't see on the news otherwise

Old 12-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

When Philip and Elizabeth were fighting about the school and Philip said that they had agreed that their marriage would at least have some resemblance of equality, I felt he wasn't fair in that. Deciding on your own what school your child goes too, is not equality with your partner, I get that he didn't get a say in many other things, but it was just so wrong.

Both young actors were magnificent!
I loved young Charles, he was cute and sweet. And poor boy, so sensitive.
But I was blown away by the performance from young Philip. That boy can act
However, it didn't do anything to soften me up towards Philip
As the season progressed, I have grown to dislike him more and more and this episode absolutely left me feeling bitter about him. I would even go so far to call it abusive, sending his kid to that school and having him endure that. The ending where the text said that Charles attended that school for a few years after and that he described it as a prison sentence and hell on earth. Seriously. That hurt.

I think the acting was great, the two young boys really did a great job. But I just don't do well with episodes like these. Even knowing it's fake played out on screen, it was real life for Charles. And knowing he had to endure that, knowing that stuff like this happened, is just not good for me. This is the episode I probably won't ever rewatch.

Last edited by girl under the floor; 12-13-2017 at 12:15 AM
Old 12-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm sure Philip meant well he wanted Charles to toughen up there and the school did the exact same thing for Philip when he was Charles' age but it just probably scarred him instead parenting is real hard. who knows which choice you make is right? however, I didn't agree with Philip either, and it totally should've been the decision of both parents but they were both stubborn about one ting and wouldn't have agreed anyway..

I'll have to gather a lot of strength in me to rewatch this too it was very upsetting at times.

Last edited by JoJoF92; 12-14-2017 at 02:18 PM
Old 12-14-2017, 08:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

oh this one made me cry! It was so sad! I felt so sorry for poor Charles!

I will have to respond on everyone else's thoughts later on!

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
Old 12-14-2017, 02:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

it was really traumatic for sure

Old 12-15-2017, 01:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I was sobbing after watching this episode last night. Did not expect that! It was so moving and disappointing that Charles was made to endure that school.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

yeah, both him and his father had a very tough childhood

Old 12-16-2017, 02:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I knew they did, but it surprised me that I should be so affected by this episode. But then bad things happening to children does tend to get to me.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

same here. it's the worst when innocent kids get hurt

Old 12-19-2017, 09:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

yeah I think that's what made me cry as well, that the poor kid had no say plus that Phillip didn't really care that much for what he wanted and only thought of what that school made him in the end.
But he knows Charles is not like Phillip at all. He already said so in the 1st season that Charles is a softer kid.

x

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]

Last edited by heartღaflutter; 12-19-2017 at 09:47 AM