Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

The Crown 2x08 "Dear Mrs. Kennedy" Episode Discussion

Dear Mrs. Kennedy

Inspired by Jackie Kennedy and against her government's wishes, Elizabeth takes an unconventional approach to resolving an issue in Ghana.

Last edited by JoJoF92; 12-28-2017 at 11:24 AM
Old 12-09-2017, 04:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

poor Elizabeth felt so overshadowed by Jackie Kennedy the whole time even Philip was totally in awe of her , which was probably the worst of it all for her. I thought he really shouldn't have been so crazy about her as a married man either I understand she was a phenomenon but still.

when Elizabeth and Jackie had some time together, it was nice to see that they actually had some things in common. their sisters were both more fit for queen/ first lady than they were, and there were things about their husbands they weren't very okay with. the scene with the puppies was adorable

I guess in a way it was nice about that misunderstanding that it inspired Elizabeth to take some action into her own hands, which she wasn't really encouraged to do before.
good thing that Jackie had the chance to explain herself though. women shouldn't be competing against each other, especially such lader personalities. they gotta stick together.
I've seen lots of documentaries about what was going on with JFK before the assassination, with his medical problems and all, but it was still hard to see how he'd treated Jackie, and how he only saw an opportunity in Elizabeth trying to compete with his wife because of the comments she'd made..

it was hard to see them watch the news about the assassination Elizabeth was so concerned about Jackie. and the comments about how she'd say how unhappy she was in her marriage but of course this was worse than anything, and it probably made Elizabeth think about her own, and probably made her more grateful for what they had..

Old 12-09-2017, 08:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I didn't love this episode as much as the others ... I thought the Kennedys were very poorly miscasted ...

It just seemed much more unbelievable than the other episodes
Old 12-10-2017, 01:23 AM
Moderator Manager

I like this ep. Although I agree that the Kennedys are miscast. I was hoping we'd get them in more scenes but they were really just background. On the side, I don't know much about them so I had no idea about the troubles in their marriage that time and that they were both taking drugs, under doctor's orders.

I laughed at everyone being smitten by Jackie O. I guess she really was someone like that back in the day. "It's mass hysteria. What extraordinary behavior." Philip insisting to sit beside Jackie O was annoying. And him wanting to be the one to tour her around the palace. I'm glad Elizabeth was blunt about it. She knows her husband is smitten with her but I guess it's just Philip having this "crush". Oh and the corgis!!!!!!!

I like all the scenes at Ghana. Good thing the result of that visit was met positively as everyone was against her going there. I was laughing when Queen Elizabeth started dancing with Nkrumah and Martin was on the phone with the P.M. and everyone thought that the Queen was going to do something drastic but she didn't.

I think I like this ep because of Queen Elizabeth and Jackie O's conversation in the end. Elizabeth was a bit envious of the attention Jackie was getting (heck even her husband likes her) and she channeled that with her visit to Ghana. Which ended up being successful thanks really to Jackie and her jealousy. Jackie ended up apologizing and the Queen "won".

That ending caught me off guard and I got goosebumps. Which is weird. We all know Kennedy died but I didn't get it until I saw everyone at the Palace looking at the telly and then I knew. I think it was nice that she let the bells at Buckingham toll for Kennedy but we all know that she will still be under fire for not showing emotion when Diana died.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

I didn't like the casting much either, but mostly of JFK's he made him look like a real unsympathetic person. I know he wasn't perfect but I can't imagine he was so cold..imo he was one of the greatest US presidents, so he couldn't have been so cruel and indifferent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
That ending caught me off guard and I got goosebumps. Which is weird. We all know Kennedy died but I didn't get it until I saw everyone at the Palace looking at the telly and then I knew. I think it was nice that she let the bells at Buckingham toll for Kennedy but we all know that she will still be under fire for not showing emotion when Diana died.
that's true. it was a nice gesture, but she's only known Jackie for a little while and already felt more for her than for Lady D

Old 12-11-2017, 01:43 AM
Moderator Manager

I was actually excited when they cast Michael C. Hall but I wasn't really thrilled with how little we got of JFK and his portrayal. I don't know the actress that played Jackie but she had more screentime than JFK did so perhaps they could've cast a well-known actress instead? I dunno. I still liked the ep though.

Right? And Diana was her son's wife. And I know the people back then just wanted her to react, anything! They were all cooped up inside the palace that time and weren't even saying anything. It was pretty frustrating.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think so many great actresses have played Jackie that this one just fell flat. And the way they portrayed their marriage wasn't really like any way I've seen. They made JFK look like a monster ...

The stuff in Ghana was great tho, I really liked how Elizabeth proved herself.

I'm very interested to see how they handle all the Diana events that are upcoming.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Lynn (View Post)
I think so many great actresses have played Jackie that this one just fell flat. And the way they portrayed their marriage wasn't really like any way I've seen. They made JFK look like a monster ...
oh yeah, for real! that really bothered me..I mean, their marriage was far from perfect and he wasn't entirely faithful either but it all just felt like an exaggeration in this ep..
I didn't mind the portrayal of Jackie as much, she did great with the accent at least, but it wasn't a breathtaking performance

Old 12-14-2017, 08:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

I loved this ep!
I was looking forward to Michael C Hall though his 'on screen wife' was fabulous in her role!

it was fun to see that Elizabeth doesn't want to share the spotlight with anyone

I loved that it made her go take that trip and make sure that she could do things as well for her own country!
I hated that it was secretly something Kennedy wanted her to do.

x

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
Old 12-14-2017, 02:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm not sure if that part is true about Kennedy's ulterior motives, at least I don't wanna believe that but it was great that Elizabeth had the opportunity to do something so important for her country

Old 12-16-2017, 12:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

THE CROWN NETWORK

Old 12-17-2017, 01:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

x

Old 12-19-2017, 09:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoF92 (View Post)
I'm not sure if that part is true about Kennedy's ulterior motives, at least I don't wanna believe that but it was great that Elizabeth had the opportunity to do something so important for her country
haha I don't know much about JFK apart from him being shot

Yeah it was great that she was able to shine as a Queen and do something legit for her country!

I love the gifs with Elisabeth hugging the small puppies

x

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]

Last edited by heartღaflutter; 12-19-2017 at 09:48 AM
Old 12-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

the pups were adorable

Old 12-22-2017, 02:47 PM
Fan Forum Star