Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2017, 11:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

The Crown 2x05 "Marionettes" Episode Discussion

Marionettes

After Elizabeth makes a tone-deaf speech at a Jaguar factory, she and the monarchy come under public attack by an outspoken lord.

Last edited by JoJoF92; 12-28-2017 at 11:19 AM
Old 12-08-2017, 11:26 PM
Moderator Manager

This ep was rather slow for me. It's mainly about a really unfeeling speech given by Queen Elizabeth which her Private Secretary did. Martin called it out but of course with the Queen's private secretary and Tommy teaming up, Martin was outnumbered.

Lord Altrincham is an interesting character though. I had no idea that he was the one that inspired changes to some of the way things are handled at Buckingham, including the Queen televising her Christmas messages.

At the end of the ep, I do feel like in a way we ask too much of the Royal family. While I agree with a lot of what Lord Altrincham suggested to the Queen, I also felt sympathy for the Royal family wanting tradition to remain. It has always been convenient for them but in the changing times, they need to adapt/adjust to it. While this wasn't my favorite ep, it also helped me see the Royal family again in a new light. That end shot of the Queen Mother & Queen Elizabeth shaking hands and greeting commoners because it is what the people want was a sight to see. I got the realization that there are lots of instances that they didn't want to do these things but you have to do what you can for the British people and this is a step in the right direction. The Royal family and everyone else wins.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

the beginning fo the ep was funny when that journalist guy was shaming the Queen, and that other guy got up, went to his place and punched him, and when Elizabeth was told about this, how glad she was

the episode was a little slow, I agree, but it did bring up interesting perspectives. I liked that Martin was of course right about the speech he always should've been Elizabeth's advisor. he's more open, not as narrow-minded and old-fashioned as those older guys like Michael and Tommy. he was able to see why the speech was completely wrong. but of course nobody ever listens to him

E&P's convo about her new hairstyle I thought it made her look really old too. she's always had a similar style but I didn't blame Philip for not liking it very much.

I liked Altrincham's ideas and that he wasn't against the Queen, but her secretaries and advisors. I usually have a lot against them, too. in a way the crown needs to open up a little and be more approachable. plus they barely ever tell her the whole truth. she needs people around her she can actually trust.
it was nice how he was surprised by her when he was supposed to meet Tommy I bet he was totally caught off guard.

Philip and Margaret's little chat was nice near the end I always loved their encounters we haven't really gotten so much of.

the Queen Mother isn't very fond of commoners I take it what I think is that it's nice to still have a royal family, even though in this society it shouldn't really be acceptable for them to have those priviliges just because of their family ties. so they shouldn't still think that they're above us all sure we're not as delicate but we're people just like them.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:59 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoF92 (View Post)
the episode was a little slow, I agree, but it did bring up interesting perspectives. I liked that Martin was of course right about the speech he always should've been Elizabeth's advisor. he's more open, not as narrow-minded and old-fashioned as those older guys like Michael and Tommy. he was able to see why the speech was completely wrong. but of course nobody ever listens to him
IKR? They only stuck with Michael Adeane (and Tommy before him) because of seniority.

Quote:
E&P's convo about her new hairstyle I thought it made her look really old too. she's always had a similar style but I didn't blame Philip for not liking it very much.
I didn't like it too but that hairstyle actually looked like the late 50's/early 60's Elizabeth. It was so accurate.

Quote:
it was nice how he was surprised by her when he was supposed to meet Tommy I bet he was totally caught off guard.
I think this is an additional added scene for drama (but I'm always okay with on the show). I can't honestly fathom the idea that the Queen would want to meet a commoner in an employee's office.

Quote:
Philip and Margaret's little chat was nice near the end I always loved their encounters we haven't really gotten so much of.
I love their relationship! They seem to get each other in this weird way right?

Quote:
the Queen Mother isn't very fond of commoners I take it what I think is that it's nice to still have a royal family, even though in this society it shouldn't really be acceptable for them to have those priviliges just because of their family ties. so they shouldn't still think that they're above us all sure we're not as delicate but we're people just like them.
True. I think they do think they are above everyone just cause they are the Royal family. They're also built on old-fashioned traditions and we can clearly see it though the way the Queen Mother, Philip and at times Elizabeth handles situations or reacts to them. I think that wall the family has built upon themselves was really only broken down when Charles met Diana. So excited for that season already.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
This ep was rather slow for me. It's mainly about a really unfeeling speech given by Queen Elizabeth which her Private Secretary did. Martin called it out but of course with the Queen's private secretary and Tommy teaming up, Martin was outnumbered.
I felt sad for Martin, already loved him last season and now he was right and they didn't even properly listen to him.

Quote:
Lord Altrincham is an interesting character though. I had no idea that he was the one that inspired changes to some of the way things are handled at Buckingham, including the Queen televising her Christmas messages.
Me neither!
The best was though when he expected Martin and the queen showed up to talk to him

Quote:
At the end of the ep, I do feel like in a way we ask too much of the Royal family. While I agree with a lot of what Lord Altrincham suggested to the Queen, I also felt sympathy for the Royal family wanting tradition to remain. It has always been convenient for them but in the changing times, they need to adapt/adjust to it. While this wasn't my favorite ep, it also helped me see the Royal family again in a new light. That end shot of the Queen Mother & Queen Elizabeth shaking hands and greeting commoners because it is what the people want was a sight to see. I got the realization that there are lots of instances that they didn't want to do these things but you have to do what you can for the British people and this is a step in the right direction. The Royal family and everyone else wins.
i am glad the Queen was open to change and I do think it's the best for the Royal Family too!

In a way I was kind of disappointed that Elizabeth trusted her advisor so much that she didn't even read the speeches or that she wasn't even shocked by what she was saying when at that event.. It was a bad speech!

Quote:
yeah not digging it either but it was fun to see Phillip humoring it so much

Quote:
I think this is an additional added scene for drama (but I'm always okay with on the show). I can't honestly fathom the idea that the Queen would want to meet a commoner in an employee's office.
Yeah I'm not sure if it was real either but I did like the scene!

Loved the little scene with Phillip and Margaret as welll!

I can't wait for when princess Diana makes her entry on the show.. I have heard that it's probably due in S4?

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
Old 12-10-2017, 01:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
that's possible although she likes making surprises so I could imagine it'd happened too
Quote:
I love their relationship! They seem to get each other in this weird way right?
yes, cause they're both the rebellious kind in a way and they're both tied and not allowed lots of things because of their position

I'm really curios about the time when Diana will come to the picture I hadn't known these figures very well before the show, at least not these early years of their life and I still got so drawn to them they always made me emotional, while I'd seen a lot of Diana in my lifetime so I'm gonna be a mess

Old 12-11-2017, 01:22 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartღaflutter (View Post)
I felt sad for Martin, already loved him last season and now he was right and they didn't even properly listen to him.
Yeah Martin should be out there helping the queen instead of Michael. Or maybe even Philip's private secretary.

Quote:
In a way I was kind of disappointed that Elizabeth trusted her advisor so much that she didn't even read the speeches or that she wasn't even shocked by what she was saying when at that event.. It was a bad speech!
Yeah, she should be proof reading it. I was cringing the whole time.

Quote:
I can't wait for when princess Diana makes her entry on the show.. I have heard that it's probably due in S4?
OMG OMG OMG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoF92 (View Post)
I'm really curios about the time when Diana will come to the picture I hadn't known these figures very well before the show, at least not these early years of their life and I still got so drawn to them they always made me emotional, while I'd seen a lot of Diana in my lifetime so I'm gonna be a mess
Same. With Diana I'm more familiar. I was one of those people who watched her funeral. That will probably be my most anticipated season. And just thinking about who will play her is making me excited.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)

Same. With Diana I'm more familiar. I was one of those people who watched her funeral. That will probably be my most anticipated season. And just thinking about who will play her is making me excited.
yeah, me too it's sad that the previous portrayals of her weren't so much appreciated by the critics, so it's gonna be a real challenge for someone to finally impress the audience

Old 12-13-2017, 05:16 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Yeah Martin should be out there helping the queen instead of Michael. Or maybe even Philip's private secretary.
he should be involved more, he's done so much for them! Plus in S1 Elizabeth already said that she connects to him more because of their past

Quote:
Yeah, she should be proof reading it. I was cringing the whole time.
Yeah me too but not 1 cringe from Elizabeth in that scene.
it was not a well written speech.. It was written in a way that made her far more superior than all the other people who worked at that factory! Not good!

in general the future casting of the show is really making me curious

x

Love this scene

Old 12-13-2017, 12:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

that was hilarious the new hairdo didn't make her more attractive, that's for sure. it was fine but I can understand Philip not liking it much either

Old 12-14-2017, 08:13 AM
Fan Forum Star

it made her look so much older!

Old 12-14-2017, 02:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

it did she didn't wanna look fresher though, but sometimes there's need for a change like that

Old 12-18-2017, 11:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I am actually not looking forward to lady Di cause I know to much about her where as I like learning about Elizabeth early years and Margaret cause I didn't know much about them.
I am glad Elizabeth was able to adapt and change even though she didn't want to. It showed she was willing to compromise

Last edited by fox24; 12-20-2017 at 10:58 AM
Old 12-19-2017, 09:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Well to me it will be interesting to find out how they'll approach the Diana/Elisabeth storyline

She has to compromise as well.. She made a pretty bad mistake in this one... I hope she learned her lesson by at least reading speeches beforehand.

x

Old 12-20-2017, 12:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

we could find out new things about Diana who knows. as time flies, more things are revealed

Last edited by JoJoF92; 12-21-2017 at 12:18 PM