Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Elite Fan

The mention of the guy eating 98 jalepenos in 15 minutes really did me in.

Fluff-tastic: Power Couples: Athletes and Celebs

And because it can never be said enough: Eww, Matt Leinart. Eww.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:30 AM
MST Manager

That's just ridiculously disgusting.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Elite Fan

Ever wonder what's in an ESPY's gift bag?
Old 07-14-2006, 09:48 PM
MST Manager

Things that make you go hmm.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:11 PM
Elite Fan

Since there are no threads for any of these sports and each had a big day:

American Floyd Landis won the Tour de France.

Tiger Woods won the British Open.

Canada beat the US, 15-10, in the final of the World Lacrosse Championships.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:53 PM
MST Manager

Thanks for sharing that here.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:00 AM
Elite Fan

Danica Patrick is staying in the IRL, signing a deal to drive for Andretti Green Racing next year.

USATODAY.com - Patrick moving to Andretti Green for '07 IRL season
Old 07-26-2006, 09:57 AM
MST Manager

Interesting. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2006, 08:05 AM
Elite Fan

LONDON (AP) -- Tour de France champion Floyd Landis tested positive for high levels of testosterone during the race, his Phonak team said Thursday on its Web site.

More here: Team says Landis tested positive for high levels of testosterone - Cycling - Yahoo! Sports
Old 07-27-2006, 06:18 PM
MST Manager

Whoa.

That's a shame.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:17 PM
Elite Fan

If he tested positive during the race, why didn't they do something about it then?

This going to be an even bigger fiasco now...
Old 07-28-2006, 03:27 AM
Elite Fan

I think it takes a while to actually process and test the sample.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:20 PM
Elite Fan

From how it's been reported on ESPN (which is all I've admittedly followed on this subject -- I'm not a major fan of cycling by almost any standard), it sounds like they knew the results of the first test by the morning of the final stage.

If that's true, it should have been brought up publically right away. Although even then, I'm not really sure, when I think about it, that would have helped anything... It's just a big unfortunate mess either way.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:43 PM
Extreme Fan

World record holder Gatlin reveals failing test in April
July 29, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

Reigning Olympic and world 100-meter champion Justin Gatlin said on Saturday he was informed he tested positive for testosterone or its precursors, the same substances which have thrown Floyd Landis' victory at the Tour de France into question.

Gatlin, who positioned himself as a leader in trying to prove athletics was a clean sport, said in a statement released through his publicist that the United States Anti-Doping Agency informed him of the test taken after a relay race in Kansas in April.

"I cannot account for these results, because I have never knowingly used any banned substance or authorized anyone else to administer such a substance to me," Gatlin said. "In the course of my entire professional career, I have been tested more than 100 times. ... All of the tests this season, including the out-of-competition and in-competition tests conducted just before and after the race in Kansas, were negative."

Gatlin, the co-world record-holder with Jamaica's Asafa Powell in the 100, is coached by Trevor Graham, whose former pupils include Tim Montgomery and Marion Jones, both of whom have both been prominently mentioned in the BALCO steroids investigation. Several athletes coached by Graham have been suspended or banned for doping.

Gatlin's revelation came just days after Landis tested positive for a testosterone imbalance after his stirring comeback victory at the Tour de France. Landis claims his body's natural metabolism caused the result.

One of the loudest voices in the quest to clean up his sport, Gatlin he was "particularly sensitive to this issue" because he tested positive in college for a banned substance contained in Adderall, which he took to calm attention deficit disorder. He served a two-year ban in international competition after that infraction, meaning another positive test could result in a lifetime ban.

"That experience made me even more vigilant to make certain that I not come into contact with any banned substance for any reason whatsoever, because any additional anti-doping rule offense could mean a lifetime ban from the sport that I love," Gatlin said.

Asked about Gatlin's statement, USADA spokesman Carla O'Connell did not confirm knowledge of the test.

Later, USADA CEO Terry Madden released a statement that made no mention of Gatlin.

"USADA will not comment on the facts of any active case since the rules we follow allow for a full and fair process prior to the details of any case being made public," Madden said. "Anyone accused of a doping violation has a right to have his or her case determined on the evidence through the established process and not on any other basis."

USA Track and Field, however, acknowledged Gatlin's statement.

"USA Track & Field is gravely concerned that Justin Gatlin has tested positive for banned substances," USATF executive director Craig Masback said in a statement on the federation's Web site. "Justin has been one of the most visible spokespersons for winning with integrity in the sport of track and field, and throughout his career he has made clear his willingness to take responsibility for his actions."

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
Old 07-29-2006, 09:57 PM
MST Manager

Thanks for bringing that over, nasman.