Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2024, 02:34 PM
MST Manager

End of an era.

Thanks for bringing over the news, Matt.
Old 01-12-2024, 04:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Wish him well.

Congressman demands the NFL stop putting playoff games on streaming services like NBC's Peacock: Fans don't deserve 'to be squeezed even further by greedy corporations'

Rep. Pat Ryan, a New York Democrat, is fed up with the NFL and NBC Sports over the decision to nationally air one of the league's six first-round playoff games exclusively on NBC's streaming platform Peacock.

"It is absolutely ridiculous that my constituents, who already pay for NBC, have to pay even more to watch this game," Ryan wrote in a letter to top NFL and NBC officials. "How much more profit do Roger Goodell and NBC need to make at the expense of hard working Americans before they are satisfied? I'm demanding the NFL and NBC stop the BS and offer fans the service they already pay for, or we're coming for your antitrust exemption."

Ryan, who has been outspoken about the issue in the past, wrote to the NFL's commissioner, Roger Goodell, and NBC Sports' president, Rick Cordella, to express his displeasure.

"Fans already face exorbitant prices to watch every game during the regular season; they don't deserve to be squeezed even further by greedy corporations," Ryan added. "This bait-and-switch is particularly egregious for consumers who already pay for NBC as part of their cable package."
An apparent start of a shift in how games are aired that irks viewers

NBC's decision is historic as it marks the first time that the nation's most popular professional sports league is set to essentially paywall a playoff game.

The Saturday matchup between the Kansas City Chiefs, the defending Super Bowl champs, and the Miami Dolphins is also set to feature one of the NFL's most valuable stars in the Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes, who's looking for a third title. The Dolphins wide receiver Tyreek Hill, who started his career in Kansas City, is set to return to Kansas City as one of the league's most electric offenses seeks the franchise's first playoff victory since 2000.

In response to Ryan, the NFL pointed out that the game would be available over the air on NBC affiliates in Kansas City and Miami.

The league added that all the remaining playoff games would be available over the air nationwide, as well as on other platforms. But the league defended the decision for this weekend, saying it's "consistent" with the NFL's long policy of creating "as many ways as possible to meet our fans where they spend their time."

"We understand that in the first few years of moving some games exclusively to digital platforms our viewership will likely not reach broadcast levels, but just as the NFL on ESPN grew into a huge platform following its debut in 1987 when cable was relatively young, we are confident these moves will be a tremendous success," Alex Riethmiller, the NFL's vice president of communications, said in a statement to Business Insider.

https://www.businessinsider.com/hous...peacock-2024-1
canflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 12:50 AM
New Fan

The NFL Draft is Next Month

That's right! The NFL Draft is just around the corner, kicking off on Thursday, April 25th, 2024 and bringing three days of excitement to football fans everywhere. Buckle up, because we're in for a whirlwind of speculation, mock drafts, and potential game-changers entering the league.

What's hot in the draft this year?

Quarterback Carousel: The QB class is stacked, with exciting prospects like Bryce Young, CJ Stroud, and Will Levis all vying for the coveted top spot. Will a team take a swing on a future franchise face, or prioritize other needs?
Defensive Dominance: Edge rushers and cornerbacks are also generating major buzz. Watch out for names like Aidan Hutchinson, Kayvon Thibodeaux, and Derek Stingley Jr., who could become immediate impact players on the defensive side of the ball.
Surprise Packages: The draft's full of hidden gems waiting to be discovered. Which under-the-radar players will emerge as steals in the later rounds? Will there be any trades that shake up the draft order and leave everyone scrambling?
Ready to join the draft day frenzy?

Mock Draft Mania: Dive into the endless world of mock drafts! See who your favorite team might target, analyze potential trades, and discover sleeper picks with serious upside.
Stay Informed: Tune into sports channels, follow draft experts on social media, and bookmark your favorite NFL draft websites. Every nugget of information could impact your predictions!