Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2006, 06:25 PM
MST Manager

Formula One Discussion Thread

Start here.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:38 AM
Master Fan

Heeey there guys!

What a pity, we lost our thread, but we got new one.

San Marino is coming. And well, what do you think, where will Kimi and Schumi drive in 2007? I know there's a lot of rumours and speculations, but I'd like to know what YOU think.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:19 AM
Supreme Fan

apparently Ferrari are making an announcement this weekend which is expected to be about drivers...

ETA: and have you heard the rumour about Renault wanting Schumi?
Old 04-18-2006, 07:05 AM
Supreme Fan

Renault want Schumacher as Alonso successor
Renault boss Flavio Briatore wants Germany's seven-time Formula One champion Michael Schumacher to drive for his team next season, according to Schumacher's agent Willi Webber.

With Spain's reigning world champion Fernando Alonso leaving Renault for Mclaren-Mercedes at the end of the season Briatore has a vacancy and wants Ferrari driver Schumacher to fill it.

"We have known each other a long time and Flavio has been in touch to say that we should talk with him before signing a deal at Ferrari," Webber said in Bild daily.

"We will speak with Ferrari first and I made it clear to Flavio that we would not talk to him until Michael decides whether he wants to carry on driving or not."

The 37-year-old Schumacher worked under Briatore at Benetton early in his career and won successive world titles in 1994 and 1995.

But whether Briatore can now match Schumacher's estimated 40 million euro (48.3 million dollar) annual salary is open to debate.

Schumacher is contracted at Ferrari until the end of the season and has given no indication as to whether he will carry on racing or not.

The German lies fourth in the world championship standings 17 points behind reigning champion Alonso.

(http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060413...e_060413142936)
Old 04-18-2006, 07:29 AM
Master Fan

Yeah, I've heard, and all this things are making me a bit confused, because I always thought that if Schumi stays in 2007, he stays in Ferrari. But it seems unlikely - Schumi with Flavio again? After all these years in Ferrari?

So if he stays in Ferrari, what's going to happen with Kimi? It's impossible to see him and Schumi in Ferrari. I don't think that Kimi would like to stay in McLaren with Alonso... So I read once that Flavio would like to see Kimi in Renault. Well, I would really like to see it too.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Supreme Fan

I don't know.. I mean the rumour I heard was Ferrari are going to announce Kimi as Schumi teammate for 2007, which was actually a shock to me. And then i thought about it... the general opinion at the moment is that Kimi & Fernando are better than Schumi, so to Kimi it would be no big deal being Schumi's teammate. And if he could beat him in the same team then maybe he feels people will think more of him. But then Massa beat Schumi in Malaysia, granted he was on a different stratergy.

I think Kimi has probably had enough of McLaren and the reliability problems, and if he leaves it's because of that and not because he's afraid of being Fernando's teammate. I believe Kimi would have enough belief in himself to feel he's better than Fernando and be willing to stay in the same team and show everyone that he's faster, but I think McLaren's reliability last season has probably cost us that

As for Schumi... well, I can't imagine he'd want Kimi as a teammate, unless he wants to show everyone that he hasn't lost it yet and beating Kimi in the same team would do that. But then he risks being blown away by Kimi and surely it's better to just retire on a high rather than carrying on for too long like Hill did?

It's widely thought that JPM is going to leave McLaren whether Kimi leaves or not so then would do drive with Fernando if Kimi goes? I've read somewhere that maybe Ron would try and wrestle Rosberg away from Williams, or maybe he'd put in a rookie he feels has a big future in the sport.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Master Fan

Well, it's all very complicated.

As for Schumi IF he'll drive with Raikkonen, he risks a lot, I think he can lose more, than he can gain in such situation.

I can't imagine Kimi and Fernando driving in one team not because Kimi is afraid that he would be beaten by Alonso, just because they both are born number-ones and this would lead only to conflicts, I think.

As far as I know JPM is looking for at least 3-year-contract, and obviously McLaren wouldn't give it to JPM. I think that McLaren is fed up with JPM a bit...

I guess, we'll never be sure what's going to happen until the teams and drivers announce it.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:33 AM
Supreme Fan

Kimi and Fernando in the same team would be interesting for the viewers.. Kimi would be expected to have the early advantage while Fernando gets used to the car and the team and then it would be interesting to see if Fernando could close the gap in performance.

The teams say they have no number 1 and number 2 drivers. But everyone knows Renault is built around Fernando, and it's been very much regarded as his team. And Montoya has never really achieved much with McLaren, although as we saw in Australia he was allowed to have an on track fight with Kimi. In fact ITV thought that Kimi and JPM were having an argument on the first lap in Malaysia and that was ultimately what caused Christian Klien to crash into Kimi.

If Kimi doesn't/hasn't signed for Ferrari it'll be a huge shock to many people because the belief seems to be that he signed ages ago.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:13 AM
Supreme Fan

New Ferrari deal 'likely' - Schumacher
''I am so happy here''

Ferrari's Michael Schumacher has refused to categorically deny that he might switch teams next year.

The German, out of contract at the end of 2006, is - despite raging speculation about possible retirement or a sensational move to Renault - delaying any final decision about his future.

But Schumacher has now told Britain's Times newspaper that a new deal at the Maranello based team, Ferrari, is 'very likely'.

He said: ''There are obviously other options but at this stage, I won't consider them. Why should I? I am so happy here. I would have to have a very good reason to move to another team.''

Michael, who has previously mused about a '99 per cent likelihood of staying put, conceded that one such good reason might just be the 'c' word -- competitiveness.

After winning only the six-car Grand Prix at Indianapolis last year, 2006 has kicked off with another run of three races without a win.

But there's always the next race. And, ominously for Ferrari's rivals, the next race is at Imola -- a hotbed of Italian 'Tifosi' and usually suitable for the Bridgestone-clad team.

Schumacher told his website: ''We want to win at Imola, and we want to play a more active part in the world championship fight.

''I do not think that it is too late, and I do not think that the (points) gap is too big to close.''

Alonso would settle for second
Predicting a Ferrari resurgence

Fernando Alonso has indicated that he might be happy to settle for second place in Sunday's Imola race.

Similar to last year, the reigning World Champion has amassed a commanding twenty eight points from the first three GPs of 2006, giving him a comfortable lead over rivals including Kimi Raikkonen, Jenson Button and Michael Schumacher.

"I would be happy to be in the top two," Alonso told the Italian La Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper.

Alonso attracted criticism last year for settling for podium places in order to protect his championship lead. He indicated that he would do it again to secure back-to-back drivers' triumph.

He told the 'paper: "The most important thing is to avoid making mistakes, and to be consistently on the podium, knowing that you can't always have ten points from each race."

His conservatism going into the San Marino Grand Prix is probably inspired by Ferrari's predicted return to form on home ground. In 2005, Alonso managed to resist Michael Schumacher's strong challenge to take the win.

"We are the reference at the moment," Alonso admitted, "but other teams are all good enough to win races. I think Ferrari will be back. Their (Bridgestone) tyres work well at this circuit, so I expect them to be extremely competitive."

F1 set for chilly Imola
Changeable conditions predicted

Imola can expect a chilly and changeable weekend of weather for the circuit's 26th Grand Prix.

Although rain was forecast for the town in the Bologna (Italy) province on Wednesday, it should ease to a morning shower by Friday.

More showers, however, could fall on qualifying Saturday, but the race itself is heading for a cloudy top of about fourteen C degrees Celsius.

“We could face cold conditions,” said Toyota's Ralf Schumacher, “but you never know what the weather will bring there.”
Old 04-19-2006, 04:35 AM
Supreme Fan

(the first post rescued and updated from the other thread)

Welcome to The Formula One Thread

On this thread we discuss the wonderful sport of F1. We post up to date news and the general info about the sport. We also talk about the drivers and the teams and what we like or dislike about them.

Our previous threads are:
Formula One is GO GO GO
Formula One #2 - To Finish First, First You Must Finish
Formula One #3 - Can Anyone Truely beat Michael Schumacher?
Formula One #4 - The Iceman Cometh
Formula One #5 - IF is F1 backwards
Formula One #6 - This Season Will Ferrari still be the team to beat?
Formula One #7 - Now it's unpredictable!
Formula One #8: It's no longer the Ferrari show!
Formula One #9 The f2003 GA... as sexy as an F1 car's gonna be
Formula One #10 ~ Kimi a world champion in the making
Formula One #11 ~ With every race Alonso's star is getting brighter
Formula One #12 ~ Watch Out When Juan is About!
Formula One #13 ~ We are Running Out of Races and the Championship is wide open!
Formula One #14 ~ It's Ferrari vs Everyone Else in the Tyre War of 2003
Formula One #15 ~ It Ain't Over Until It's Over
Formula One #16 - Michael still thinks that JV is a threat
Formula One #17 - Bring on more seasons like the one we've just had
Formula One #18 - A New Year Brings a New Season
Formula One #19 ~ A new season brings new rivalries
Formula One #20 ~ The cars just keep getting faster and faster!!!
Formula One #21 ~ Schumi is showing why he is a six times world champion!
Formula 1 #22 - Speed and Dangerous Situations
Formula One #23 - Still waiting for a McLaren win this season
Formula One #24 ~ The Year of the Renault Boys

2006 Calender
Date GP
12 March Bahrain, Sakhir
19 March Malaysia, Sepang
02 April Australia, Melbourne
23 April San Marino, Imola
07 May Europe, Nürburgring
14 May Spain, Barcelona
28 May Monaco, Monte Carlo
11 June Great Britain, Silverstone
25 June Canada, Montreal
02 July USA, Indianapolis
16 July France, Magny-Cours
30 July Germany, Hockenheim
06 August Hungary, Hungaroring
27 August Turkey, Istanbul
10 September Italy, Monza
01 October China, Shanghai
08 October Japan, Suzuka
22 October Brazil, Interlagos

Driver Line Up For the 2006 Season

SUMMARY OF RACE WINNERS
Bahrain, Sakhir - Fernando Alonso, Renault
Sepang, Malaysia - Giancarlo Fisichella, Renault
Melbourne, Australia - Fernando Alonso, Renault
San Marino, Imola - Michael Schumacher, Ferrari
Europe, Nürburgring - Michael Schumacher, Ferrari
Spain, Barcelona - Fernando Alonso, Renault
Monaco, Monte Carlo - Fernando Alonso, Renault
Great Britain, Silverstone - Fernando Alonso, Renault

RACE RESULT for British GP
Grand Prix of Great Britain - 11 June 2006 - Race
Pos. Driver Team Tires Time
1 F. Alonso Renault 1:25:51.927
2 M. Schumacher Ferrari + 13.951
3 K. Räikkönen McLaren + 18.672
4 G. Fisichella Renault + 19.976
5 F. Massa Ferrari + 31.559
6 JP. Montoya McLaren + 1:04.769
7 N. Heidfeld BMW + 1:11.594
8 J. Villeneuve BMW + 1:18.299
9 N. Rosberg Williams + 1:19.008
10 R. Barrichello Honda + 1 laps
11 J. Trulli Toyota + 1 laps
12 D. Coulthard Red Bull + 1 laps
13 V. Liuzzi Scuderia Toro Rosso + 1 laps
14 C. Klien Red Bull + 1 laps
15 C. Albers Midland F1 + 1 laps
16 T. Monteiro Midland F1 + 2 laps
17 T. Sato Super Aguri + 3 laps
18 F. Montagny Super Aguri + 3 laps
Did not finish
19 J. Button Honda + 51 laps
20 S. Speed Scuderia Toro Rosso + 59 laps
21 R. Schumacher Toyota + 60 laps
22 M. Webber Williams + 60 laps

CHAMPIONSHIP STANDINGS
Pos. Driver Team Tires Points
1 F. Alonso Renault Michelin 74
2 M. Schumacher Ferrari Bridgestone 51
3 K. Räikkönen McLaren Michelin 33
4 G. Fisichella Renault Michelin 32
5 JP. Montoya McLaren Michelin 26
6 F. Massa Ferrari Bridgestone 24
7 J. Button Honda Michelin 16
8 R. Barrichello Honda Michelin 13
9 N. Heidfeld BMW Michelin 10
10 R. Schumacher Toyota Bridgestone 8
11 D. Coulthard Red Bull Michelin 7
12 J. Villeneuve BMW Michelin 7
13 M. Webber Williams Bridgestone 6
14 N. Rosberg Williams Bridgestone 4
15 C. Klien Red Bull Michelin 1
16 J. Trulli Toyota Bridgestone 0
17 S. Speed Scuderia Toro Rosso Michelin 0
18 V. Liuzzi Scuderia Toro Rosso Michelin 0
19 C. Albers Midland F1 Bridgestone 0
20 T. Monteiro Midland F1 Bridgestone 0
21 T. Sato Super Aguri Bridgestone 0
22 Y. Ide Super Aguri Bridgestone 0
23 F. Montagny Super Aguri Bridgestone 0

F1 CONSTRUCTORS' CHAMPIONSHIP
Pos. Team Tires Points
1 Renault Michelin 106
2 Ferrari Bridgestone 75
3 McLaren Michelin 59
4 Honda Michelin 29
5 BMW Michelin 17
6 Williams Bridgestone 10
7 Toyota Bridgestone 8
= Red Bull Michelin 8
- Scuderia Toro Rosso Michelin 0
- Midland F1 Bridgestone 0
- Super Aguri Bridgestone 0

Last edited by *MH*; 06-15-2006 at 04:45 AM
Old 04-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Master Fan

MH you're really gorgeous for having rescued our first post!

And thanks for the news.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:57 AM
Banned

Always bet on RED.

Kimi has at least 3 possible CHAMPIONSHIPS squandered as a reason to leave McLaren. While I would love to see Kimi put on the red fire suit. Kimi going to Renault would be absolutely mind blowing. Since reliability with Kimi's uncanny ability to find speed when other's cannot. Would make Renault a viable contender for years. I guess tomorrow will be the determining factour in all of this. As long as Kimi goes to a team where the reliability does not fail him. Then he should at least have ONE CHAMPIONSHIP (fingers crossed) in the future. The future driver line-ups aside, nice to have F1 back this weekend. San Marino always a good race and the V8s might make it even more interesting. MH thanks for saving the first post. Good job.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:29 AM
Supreme Fan

Renault certainly don't have the reliability issues of McLaren. I think McLaren push everything to the edge whereas Renault only tend to race something if it's done the required mileage successfully (that's certainly what they were doing last season when they had the big lead)
Old 04-20-2006, 04:31 AM
Supreme Fan

I'm going to the Nurburgring...

Schumacher heads for Nurburgring announcement
A new two-year deal with Ferrari?

Formula One’s latest whisper suggests that Ferrari will officially announce a new contract for Michael Schumacher at the Nurburgring race in May.

Germany's sid news agency said the German driver has now finally decided to stick around in 2007, after speculation raged that he might either retire or switch to another formula one team.

Schumacher has also consistently insisted that any decision would not be forthcoming until closer to mid-season.

But sid reported that the seven time World Champion has put pen to paper on a new two-year deal, allegedly with a small pay increase, to take his $50m a-year career to the end of 2008.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:49 AM
Supreme Fan

decoration time

Fernando in Imola

and Renault have a blog and this is their latest entry

San Marino GP 2006: Thursday in the paddock
By RF1 Paddock Pass, Thursday 20 April 2006 12:58

Motorhome fever in the Imola paddock - and the results from last night's football...

Well, here we are in Imola - and that, like always, means teams have new motorhomes to show off! BMW have a big new creation that looks a little like a car showroom (to my partial eyes at least), fortress Midland has landed, Honda have further adapted their unit with an upstairs terrace, Red Bull/Toro Rosso have an incredible double-size facility, McLaren's space centre looks positively restrained alongside - and Renault has continued with the same units, in the sam configuration, as last year. They are a discreet way of saying our focus is on the track rather than the paddock life...!

There are some funny details this year in Imola. The race poster features a scene from last year's race, with Fernando and Michael Schumacher fighting hard. Except we are in Italy, barely 40 miles from Maranello, so there is one key difference... the Ferrari is in front of the Renault! The mind plays funny tricks sometimes, doesn't it...?! A mischievous team members suggested maybe Fernando was lapping the Ferrari and they just missed off the blue flag! But in any case, it's a creative interpretation of history... :-)

Last night was football night as well. In the pizzerias of Imola, many F1 folk crowded around a wood-fired margeherita and a television, to follow the match between Arsenal and Villareal. But there was another match going on in central Bologna, as the F1 drivers took on a local team. The result? 4-3 for the drivers - with one Mr Giancarlo Fisichella scoring two goals. Let's hope it's a sign of good things to come!

In terms of the paddock atmosphere, the sun is shining, everybody is glad to be back in Europe and ready for an exciting weekend. The GP2 season holds its second race here, which will mean plenty of entertainment as we watch the young drivers' progress. Fisi is pumped up and ready to unleash the new B spec engine in qualifying. Both cars have updated aero parts for a little more performance. The circuit has been modified, with a much tighter and slower version of the Variante Alta chicane, so that challenge has gone...

And the drivers will meet the media later this afternoon. It's going to be a weekend full of speculation and rumour, as it always is after a three-week break. And most importantly, there will be quite a fight out on track. Heikki said the car felt very good in Barcelona last week, so the Renault team is confident. Keep the questions coming in and we will answer all we can - and I'll be back to update you later on, after the teams have held the paddock Scalextric competition down at Red Bull this evening. Every team has entered, and they can modify the cars any way they want... It should be fun!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread