Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2016, 04:19 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

thanks for all the pics and infos on the comics Like Lari I never read comics so it's great to get a mini crash course
Old 02-02-2016, 06:46 AM
Moderator Manager

Thanks for all the info! Like some of you, I haven't read a lot of comics. I wish I did though.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:45 PM
Addicted Fan

Yeah, it's one of those things where I feel like I could just start with a few comics here and there, but then remember all the other books, movies, tv shows, games, etc I want to get to at some point and I feel extremely discouraged.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:51 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

Yeah I don't know why I never got into them as a kid. I wouldn't mind starting to read them, but I just don't have the time right now. Maybe in a few years.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Thanks for explaining girls. I'm not familiar with the character. Any connection to the Danvers on Supergirl?
I haven't read the new series so I'm not sure if the writers added a connection, but in the original series - no.

indigo sunrise: Heard about the Captain Marvel movie plus the WW film soonish, so it seems female superheroes are finally being produced and accepted. The fact the JJ was hugely successful, both commercially and critically, pushes back against the long held narrative that an audience won't watch a series centered on a female superhero.

Last edited by CityGal; 02-02-2016 at 11:04 PM
Old 02-03-2016, 06:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^ yeah I am incredibly thrilled that it's finally happening. Should've happened years ago... But still, better late than never!

Quote:
Yeah, it's one of those things where I feel like I could just start with a few comics here and there, but then remember all the other books, movies, tv shows, games, etc I want to get to at some point and I feel extremely discouraged.
This is absolutely me I started getting into comics around 5 years ago because of Buffy being continued in comics format, then slowly got into Marvel around two years ago but it's soooo daunting. There are so many different runs and I didn't know where to start, so I finally just took the plunge and randomly started somewhere. Then once you start reading, more and more characters are introduced cause Marvel does a lot of crossovers, and then you want to read their runs, and then in their runs they mention other comics and... It's endless but it is awesome I'll never be bored again in my life!
Old 02-03-2016, 08:26 AM
Addicted Fan

Gah, can't wait for more awesome female superheroes! I almost cried watching Star Wars because of Rey
Spoiler:

Val: Nice that you took the plunge, it is very intimidating! Another big problem is I have a bit of an OCD and am a completionist, so comics would probably send me down a crazy rabbithole of seeking out EVERYTHING on a particular series.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

It is cool to see female superheroes We could always use more
Old 02-03-2016, 11:23 PM
Moderator Manager

Thanks Christine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyღ (View Post)
Yeah I don't know why I never got into them as a kid. I wouldn't mind starting to read them, but I just don't have the time right now. Maybe in a few years.
As a kid, I thought comics were for boys so I never really got into them.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:13 PM
Addicted Fan

Ugh this "for boys" thing was the bane of my childhood... How many christmas gifts, and cartoons my mom complained that were "for boys"

I'm glad to hear some toy stores no longer have different boy/girl sections
Old 02-04-2016, 08:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyღ (View Post)
It is cool to see female superheroes We could always use more
There are a lot of them in comics. It's whether or not producers believe they are commercially viable as a story to tell.

Hopefully with the success of JJ more of Hollywood will have courage.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:50 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGal (View Post)
Hopefully with the success of JJ more of Hollywood will have courage.
I hope so and movies should also follow suit. Granted there are a lot out there already but there should be more.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes for sure I'm hoping these movies that are coming out will do incredibly well so we'll only see more and more female lead movies and TV shows in the future!

I was always a bit of a tomboy so the 'for boys' stigma didn't bother me much as a kid, but comics weren't really something that I would've had access to I did read like Lucky Luke and Asterix and Obelix comics and other stuff like that cause my dad had a bunch of those lying around, but nothing with superheroes. Too bad cause I think I would've liked them! But oh well, I got into them eventually so better late than never
Old 02-05-2016, 03:22 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

that's a good reason Lindsay

Actually my brother didn't read them either and I didn't have any friends that were into them. Maybe I just grew up in a comic free zone
Old 02-06-2016, 01:40 AM
Moderator Manager

TV shows tend to have more male actors than female actors too. And most of them have male leads. Shonda shows are cray cray but she is paving the way for female leads (and most importantly female POC) in TV shows.