Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2016, 05:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I had high hopes for him because I liked Scott Porter in Hart of Dixie. He played a jock there, too, but one with more facets to his character.

~Heidi
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Isn't it the worst when you like an actor but the character is just so bland?

It reminds me in a different way of Josie Loren on Make It Or Break It. I did love the character and she certainly had depth, but I couldn't relate to Kaylee at all. At least not the boy crazy one track mind part of her character which was a big part.

WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I was re-watching Da Bomb yesterday and I really hope we get to see more of Linda. She's just such real character - full of uncertainties and self doubt but at the same time, she's very strong. It unusual for characters - especially guest characters - to be that multi-dimensional and also that real.

~Heidi
Old 09-11-2016, 05:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I would say I hope so too but I feel like everyone already knows that.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:20 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I'm willing to give a character some time to develop, but it has it's limits. If Tim continues to be this bland, uninteresting stock "jock" character past the first or second episode of S3, I'm going to probably write him off as worthless. The thing with that is though, having gone so long without providing any interest to the character, it's going to be much harder for him to do anything that makes him interesting - because it will be almost OOC for him to change that much. It's like by this time he's type-cast as "boring jock guy
I agree. The other thing I don't like about Tim is how he makes Paige act. In the Fort Knox episode, I really disliked Paige when she and Tim stood there smirking about how easy it was to manipulate the rest of the team. And in the tornado episode, Tim gives a sanctimonious speech to Paige about how to deal with emotions. She tells him (right in front of Walter!) that he is completely right and that she has been trying to teach everyone that. It was a really low EQ moment for her.

There's no such thing as luck only good science and math.

Last edited by ILoveScience; 09-12-2016 at 06:34 AM
ILoveScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveScience (View Post)
I agree. The other thing I don't like about Tim is how he makes Paige act. In the Fort Knox episode, I really disliked Paige when she and Tim stood there smirking about how easy it was to manipulate the rest of the team. And in the tornado episode, Tim gives a sanctimonious speech to Paige about how to deal with emotions. She tells him (right in front of Walter!) that he is completely right and that she has been trying to teach everyone that. It was a really low EQ moment for her.
I forgot about the Twist and Shout moment, but the Hard Knox one bothers me A LOT. Especially since Tim didn't start the manipulation until the money was mentioned. And for someone who doesn't like when they unnecesarily risk their lives, the fact that they said no because it was too dangerous, then they mentioned the money, then Tim manipulated then, and Paige thought that was great? That's one of my least favorite things about the entire series tbqh

Old 09-12-2016, 07:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That Hard Knox moment made me cringe and it still does. Not only is it manipulative, but it takes advantage of the weaknesses that the team has - many of which are related to their socialization issues. As the mother of a genius, this is the exact sort of thing that Paige should abhor and instead she champions it. It's just wrong - for both the character and the show. It should have made her dislike Tim. I have to wonder - if Tim had used similar tactics to talk Ralph into something, how would Paige feel about that?

~Heidi
Old 09-12-2016, 09:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
That Hard Knox moment made me cringe and it still does. Not only is it manipulative, but it takes advantage of the weaknesses that the team has - many of which are related to their socialization issues. As the mother of a genius, this is the exact sort of thing that Paige should abhor and instead she champions it. It's just wrong - for both the character and the show. It should have made her dislike Tim. I have to wonder - if Tim had used similar tactics to talk Ralph into something, how would Paige feel about that?
THIS oh my god this. This needs to come up more especially when people just use "good guy" as a way of describing him. No one denies that we know so few things about the guy but one of them is that he will do this. If a one - off character from the FBI/CIA/Homeland/etc had been the one in that scene instead, everyone watching would have been at the very least suspicious of their motives (and you know from a writing standpoint, they would not have put Paige on that person's side.)

Old 09-12-2016, 12:54 PM
Part-Time Fan

I have to say that I don't really remember these specific moments (guess that shows where my priorities with the show lie ), but what you all are saying does make sense.
sheisagenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheisagenius (View Post)
I have to say that I don't really remember these specific moments (guess that shows where my priorities with the show lie ), but what you all are saying does make sense.
I honestly don't really remember the Twist and Shout one. But the Hard Knox one was when they rejected the job because it was too dangerous, then the guy mentioned the money. They still said no, then Tim launched in with the "yeah well you'd have to have good tools to make it work anyway...I don't think our computer skills could do it...something about having to read people well..." and the team got defensive and took the job. And Paige was just smirking while Tim was doing it, then went up to him and was basically like "damn look at you figuring them all out!" Like she was proud or something.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:23 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think the Twist and Shout scene took place when Paige mentioned that Pandova seemed to be moving on after meeting the man who fought against his father. Tim said they have to learn how to do that in the military because it's necessary to understand your emotions, blah, blah, blah. Then Paige said that's what she was trying to teach the team. Walter gave her a really annoyed look.

Sorry if I'm ranting about Tim. It's been building up all summer, and now that we've seen the promo, I seem to be getting somewhat obsessed about it.

There's no such thing as luck only good science and math.
ILoveScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Part of me tries to believe that moments like that are just Paige trying to make Tim feel more comfortable - although even in that, it's a stretch. Mostly it seems out of character for her. I know, technically, if it's on the show it can't be out of character, but even real people sometimes do things that go against their nature. Beyond the trying to make Time feel comfortable, I cannot think of a motivation for Paige to do this. The thought that she might be trying to impress Tim, or align with him just makes me shudder.

~Heidi
Old 09-12-2016, 10:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Part of me tries to believe that moments like that are just Paige trying to make Tim feel more comfortable - although even in that, it's a stretch. Mostly it seems out of character for her. I know, technically, if it's on the show it can't be out of character, but even real people sometimes do things that go against their nature. Beyond the trying to make Time feel comfortable, I cannot think of a motivation for Paige to do this. The thought that she might be trying to impress Tim, or align with him just makes me shudder.
For real.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

From a realistic perspective, I think those moments are just the writers' efforts to align Paige and Tim together - to make their pairing believable. I think they could have done that in ways that didn't malign Paige's character or make her seem almost like a bully. They could have have fleshed out Tim's character and given him some interest in common with Paige, or a background with common elements - that would give them something to bond over, in a friendly way, without making it the "us against them" thing that is so distasteful for both characters to be involved in.

~Heidi
Old 09-13-2016, 04:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
From a realistic perspective, I think those moments are just the writers' efforts to align Paige and Tim together - to make their pairing believable. I think they could have done that in ways that didn't malign Paige's character or make her seem almost like a bully. They could have have fleshed out Tim's character and given him some interest in common with Paige, or a background with common elements - that would give them something to bond over, in a friendly way, without making it the "us against them" thing that is so distasteful for both characters to be involved in.
Agreed. A common interest would have been really easy to do. But the way they did it, it certainly doesn't endear me to Tim and it just makes me kinda disappointed in Paige - and by kinda I mean to an extent that it makes me uncomfortable.

Reply   Post New Thread