Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2019, 10:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Aw I'm sad West End is closing, but yay for the tour!

Old 11-21-2019, 05:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's awesome you'll get to see it again, Tiff.

~Heidi
Old 11-22-2019, 06:23 AM
Absolute Fan

I'm really excited! I've been considering seeing it in London again, but it's so expensive it's difficult to justify the cost when I've already seen it once.

It's a shame it didn't get a longer run in the West End, but hopefully the tour will attract new fans.

I don't know if I'd have paid Waitress any attention if it hadn't been for Kat's involvement, but now it's one of my favourite musicals.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I watched the movie back before I knew it was a musical, and I liked it, but I think the knowledge it had become a musical was in a very "back room" place in my head until Kat was cast. I watched their Tonys performance, thought "oh neat, they made it a musical!" and then forgot about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone139 (View Post)
I've been considering seeing it in London again, but it's so expensive it's difficult to justify the cost when I've already seen it once.
Me and my nine times in four states and two countries feel so called out right now.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:24 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
I watched the movie back before I knew it was a musical, and I liked it, but I think the knowledge it had become a musical was in a very "back room" place in my head until Kat was cast. I watched their Tonys performance, thought "oh neat, they made it a musical!" and then forgot about it.

Me and my nine times in four states and two countries feel so called out right now.
It probably still cost you less than it would cost me to go to the same West End show twice! (OK, perhaps not, but it's probably close! )
Old 11-22-2019, 03:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
This reminds me of my 19 times seeing Star Wars in the theater. I've had people ask "Why didn't you make it a nice, round 20?"

~Heidi
Old 11-22-2019, 06:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
This reminds me of my 19 times seeing Star Wars in the theater. I've had people ask "Why didn't you make it a nice, round 20?"
Yeah I wish mine had been ten. It would have been if it hadn't gotten cancelled in Louisville due to the fire.

EDIT: If so, Tiff, West End is considerably more expensive than NYC.

Last edited by WeBuiltThePyramids; 11-22-2019 at 07:24 PM
Old 11-23-2019, 02:08 PM
Absolute Fan

I was probably exaggerating! It's not so much the cost of the theatre tickets (unless we're talking about Hamilton! ), it's all the related expenses that make a trip to see a West End show such a rare treat, particularly the cost of travelling such a short distance. I only live 55 miles from the Adelphi theatre, but I'd never dream of driving into central London so we always travel in by train. Add a meal and all the extras and you can see where the money goes!

For the last few years, I've taken my daughter to see one show in London every summer and we also used to go to more touring productions locally until she went to uni - now she's never here when the ones we'd like to see are on. However, I've already told her that I'm seeing Waitress when it comes here on tour whether she comes with me, or I go on my own! (She went to see 'Joseph' on her own this year - because I've seen it before and I really didn't enjoy it - so I don't feel so guilty! )
Old 11-23-2019, 02:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It was much the same for me going to see shows in New York when I lived in DC. The tickets themselves can be rather pricey. The websites say they start at $50 or $60, which isn't too bad. But those tickets are in the dead back of the theater and they sell out fast, so in reality you're looking at $150 to $200 per ticket. I could take the train round trip for about $100 - if I book way in advance with no refunds. It *is* possible to take the train up in the morning, go to the matinee show and then come back in the evening. That's a VERY long day. If you do that, you can have lunch and dinner on the train, which is not too expensive, but then you've got the cab fares on both ends to deal with. When it's all said and done it's at least $300 to $400 per person. And I'm too darn old for that kind of whirlwind trip anymore. I'd want to stay overnight, enjoy some nice New York restaurants and maybe a bit of shopping. That puts the cost at about double.

~Heidi
Old 11-23-2019, 06:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Hamilton is SO damn expensive. I've only gotten to see it three times because it's been in Chicago - though that is closing in January. But even then, each trip has been a $500 trip. Though considering tickets alone can be double that in NYC, I've considered it worth it - and once was for a bachelorette party, and once was something I did almost on a whim when I was going to be in Chicago anyway for Kat's taping.

Old 11-24-2019, 01:31 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Hamilton is SO damn expensive. I've only gotten to see it three times because it's been in Chicago - though that is closing in January. But even then, each trip has been a $500 trip. Though considering tickets alone can be double that in NYC, I've considered it worth it - and once was for a bachelorette party, and once was something I did almost on a whim when I was going to be in Chicago anyway for Kat's taping.
Only three times! (You're definitely way more dedicated than me. )

My daughter would love to see Hamilton one day. I'm not desperate enough to spend the money though! If it ever tours the UK I'd go, but I suspect the London production will be running for a while yet, though.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Tickets for Hamilton when it came to DC were ridiculous. They started at over $600.

~Heidi
Old 11-24-2019, 06:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Haha well the first time was the bachelorette party, the second time was my spur of the moment decision since I was already in Chicago, and then the last time was for my sister's birthday this past summer - she worked in a theater in undergrad (the university we went to has one) but graduated (and therefore lost that job) months before the U.S. tour came to that venue. She's seen a ton of shows and since that one is "the one" to see in this day and age, I wanted her to see it.

Old 11-25-2019, 01:50 PM
Absolute Fan

Kat's first show back as Jenna is tonight. I wonder how much rehearsal time she needed this time? She can probably play this role in her sleep now!
Old 11-25-2019, 04:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm sure she needed a little rehearsal, if only to work things out with any new cast members. But I'm sure she knows the lines and lyrics backwards and forwards.

~Heidi
Closed Thread   Post New Thread