Scottish_Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:31 PM
Master Fan

I guess that's all we can do.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Yes, we can agree to disagree. I just want to make it clear that I am not on anyone's "side." I support both characters - and I love Mary, no matter what. They have both made mistakes, and horrible timing and miscommunication have led them to where they are now. It's tragic. I think they could have made AMAZING partners.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:05 PM
Master Fan

I'm not taking sides exactly either. But Darnley isn't the horrible person Mary has painted him as. Treating him the way she is is actually what is pushing him to be that way. Mary's biggest problem has always been that she is so self righteous. No one else is allowed to make a mistake and she doesn't own up to her mistakes. She only sees the bad stuff people do and none of the good. Like with James at the beginning of the season. When he didn't fall at her feet immediately, she decided she couldn't trust him. The only reason he was given another chance was that he's her brother. Or when she yelled at Catberine for hurting Francis at the end of season 2 as if she hadn't been hurting him the entire season. She's mad at Darnley for cheating...but has she even owned up to the fact that it's her fault Keira is dead. Did she even attempt to appologize for that? No. Did she admit sge was wrong even a little? No. She did not admit to her part in anything ever. Nit with Francis ir Catherine and not now with Darnley. I like Mary and I'm not making excuses for Darnley's jackassery. But I believe if it weren't for Mary doing this, he would be capable of change. All he needa is a little give on her end. Just a little.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

I completely agree. I adore Mary, but she does have a tendency to be self-righteous and judgmental. And she is not good at admitting when she's wrong and owning her mistakes. (Oh, LORD her hypocrisy sometimes. )

Not that it excuses Darnley's behavior at all, but I do think it is a direct reaction to how Mary is treating him. I truly believe he is capable of changing and being a better man. She only needs to give him a little encouragement and hope.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:41 AM
Part-Time Fan

I'll always take Mary's side, and Catherine's. They are my girls. Hurt them, and you are toast to me other characters

They are the two that even when they make mistakes I can always understand their motivations and why they do the things they do. I don't always agree but I get why and that's always what has drawn me to characters like them.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:18 PM
Master Fan

Oh. I love them both very much and I will always be in their side, but I can admit their faults. No one can love Catherine more than me, but I know when she's gone too far. Just because I think Mary has pushed him to it, that doesn't mean I care any less. But what has started out as protecting her heart, has turned into a disaster of epic proportions.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Exactly. Of course I love Mary and Catherine, too. I will always be on their side and root for them and for their happiness. But I can recognize their flaws and shortcomings. They are not perfect and they are not always right. In fact, their faults are what make them human and that makes me love them even more. I do understand Mary's motivations when it comes to Darnley, and I sympathize with her struggle to trust him and her desire to protect her heart. However, that doesn't mean I can't be frustrated when I see how her behavior towards Darnley is affecting him and the future of their relationship. It doesn't mean I love her or care for her any less.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

WHAT A TRAIN WRECK.

Honestly, I couldn't help but cheer on Mary in this scene - even if in the end it made Darnley more angry and desperate and made the situation worse.

X

And we will finally be equals.

X

He actually threatened to use their own child against her.

All I have to do is say that that child isn’t mine. And you and your heir will both pay the price. You would condemn your own child?

X
Old 05-06-2017, 08:46 PM
Master Fan

It was awesome....but a really bad idea.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:52 AM
Part-Time Fan

Loved the crown matrimonial scene...it took guts but if she's going to do that she might want more back up than Greer. Darnley was being pretty scary at that point...takes a 'special' kind of something to threaten to have the mother of your child beheaded WHILE she's pregnant. Nice.

However, I just love Will Kemp. His portrayal of Darnley is so great no matter how horrible Darnley is being.This marriage is now of course straight up awful but always fascinating to watch.

Curious if Darnley's erratic basically bipolar behaviour will be explained(kind of like when King Henry went mad) or if it's just going to be "Darnley being Darnley." I think historically he was rumored to have had syphilis, not sure Reign would give him that but maybe some kind of ailment to explain his extreme behaviour.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Tearing up the crown matrimonial like that did take guts and it was SUPER satisfying to watch - but it was pretty rash and tactless. With no hope, Darnley has nothing to lose and is even more dangerous.

Even if their marriage is awful, they are still fascinating to watch together. They have great chemistry even when they are fighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish_Queen (View Post)
Curious if Darnley's erratic basically bipolar behaviour will be explained(kind of like when King Henry went mad) or if it's just going to be "Darnley being Darnley." I think historically he was rumored to have had syphilis, not sure Reign would give him that but maybe some kind of ailment to explain his extreme behaviour.
That would be really interesting. I think I would like that more than him being simply an ambitious, manipulative jerk.

ETA: A few more gif sets of their dysfunction...

X

X

X

Last edited by kerbear28; 05-07-2017 at 02:37 PM
kerbear28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

ing to share this last gift set of these two in the last episode. It will be interesting to see what happens when Darnley comes back to court in the next episode. He didn't stay away long...

X

Last edited by kerbear28; 05-10-2017 at 11:08 PM
kerbear28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:24 PM
Master Fan

I think there was a bit of a time jump.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

That could be. I doubt that Darnley will even attempt to get back in Mary's good graces after everything that's happened. Will he just continue his whole blackmail/extortion angle? I assume so, considering the title of the next episode...