Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2023, 12:43 PM
Graphics Team Manager
Moderator Support Team

Board Customization

Hi everyone ,

The Fan Forum Graphics Team is in the process of (re)customising message boards and now it's your turn!

If you have any picture or colour suggestions please post them in this thread. Don't post (hotlink) the pictures, links to them are fine. Make sure that the pictures are of as high quality as possible and that the top of the head of the person in the picture isn't cropped off. We also like to use photoshoot images when possible, preferably individual pictures of each cast member. When suggesting colours please keep in mind that some colours will work better than others. The Team usually tries to avoid really vibrant and dark colours because we have found in the past that they are hard to look at for long periods of time. If you would like some help coming up with colour combinations we recommend checking out the Color Palettes or Coolors websites. As we want every board to have their own unique look it is preferable that you do not link to the customisations of other boards as suggested colour schemes.

Everyone is encouraged to voice their opinions for this as you are the ones who will be posting on the board and we hope to make as many people happy with the finished result as possible. It does not matter if you are a board moderator, regular poster, or casual poster here. If you have a suggestion, please share it here with us .

Your suggestions for possible pictures and colours will be taken into serious consideration, but in the interest of seeing every board receive the best customised look possible the final decision concerning how this board will be customised will be made by the members of the Graphics Team. This is because we want to make sure that the selected graphic and colours fit into the overall design scheme that we've established for Fan Forum.

For a full explanation of the message board customisation process, see this thread. If you have any questions, please feel free to send Mel, Chelle, or Kate a PM or ask the Team on the message board customisation thread.

Please leave this topped until a week or so after the board has been (re)customised.

Note: It usually takes approximately two weeks for us to finish making the new banner and the sooner we know what you want, the more we can work on it (though it can take a few months or so to set it up with the new colours on the board), so please let us know your suggestions as soon as possible.

When the Team have finished making the graphic I will close this thread until the graphic and colours get put up. It will then be re-opened so that you can share your thoughts about it.

Mel, Chelle, and Kate
KATE. | icon
me and the sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 01:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks! I look forward to getting a spiffy new look!

Since the show is no longer on the air, I don't think that we really need to change the graphic. All the principles are there, and the MENTALIST logo does a nice job of bringing it all together. But a change of color scheme would be nice.

In particular, I think it would be nice to include the light turquoise blue of Jane's teacup. I've posted some pictures below so you can see the color I'm talking about.

~Heidi
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 01:33 PM
Graphics Team Manager

A new graphic will be made to match the new colour scheme. We can however keep the same characters (& use the same pictures if they are still available).
shinebrighterxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 02:19 AM
Graphics Team Manager

I had a little look back in the previous customisation thread & it looks like a few of the pictures from this post still work. I'm not sure that those are the pictures we did end up going with for the current graphic though. Or if there are now other pictures available? I did find these from season 2 but that isn't many characters.

I did a quick look around & found these:
Patrick Jane
Teresa Lisbon
Grace Van Pelt
Wayne Rigsby
Kimball Cho
Dennis Abbott
Kim Fischer
Jason Wylie
Michelle Vega
Misc. Collection (may be duplicates to pictures in above links)

Is that all the correct characters?

For your colour scheme are you thinking any other colours other than the colours from the cup? I did quickly put together this based on the colours from the first picture & this from the second picture

Last edited by shinebrighterxx; 05-26-2023 at 08:03 PM Reason: Fixed broken link
Old 05-26-2023, 02:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for diving into the old thread - you saved me the trouble.

I'm terrible with colors, so I purposefully didn't suggest any others. The teacup is iconic,. but I trust the graphics team to come up with combinations that work with it. That said, I think I like this group better - https://coolors.co/223e49-83afb9-c0dddf-a2a089-a18f67

Since the show has been off the air for some time, I doubt there ane any newer pics to find. A couple of suggests - don't use a pic where Cho is smiling. His character is famous for never smiling. And I would not include Kim Fischer. She was never really a regular.

I would like to see the romantic couples positioned together - so Jane and Lisbon in the middle, maybe Grace and Rigsby on one side and Wylie and Vega on the other with Abbott and Cho on opposite sides on the extreme outside.

~Heidi
Old 05-26-2023, 08:07 PM
Graphics Team Manager

No problem, I had some time. It helps you had it linked in the board guide so it was easy to find

For colours, did you want to go with those colours or try to come up with some others? As we can help you with that. For example what sort of colours do you like? What other colours remind you of the show? We can use those things to help shape a colour scheme for you, or we can go with this one if you're happy with it.

Does it matter which sides those characters go on? Should anyone be bigger/smaller than anyone else? I presume Jane biggest, followed by Lisbon the next size? Would you want Grace, Rigsby, Wylie, & Vega to all be the same size but smaller than Lisbon? Then Abbott & Cho the smallest? Or just have everyone gradually getting smaller as they move further away from the lead? Or is there no preference on that?

Did you want the Red John face incorporated somehow if we can?
Old 05-27-2023, 10:12 AM
Master Fan

The colours for Jane's cup are gorgeous on the show and thought this one showed the colour best.

I recently binged the series and think your selection is perfect for who should be on the banner.

Is this the order preference:

Abbott, Rigsby, Van Pelt, Jane, Lisbon, Cho, Wylie, Vega, .....???

Cho was more of a main so would he be better placed after Lisbon, then Wylie, Vega?

Or would it be better:

Abbott, Rigsby, Van Pelt, Jane, Lisbon, Wylie, Vega, Cho

The different text sizes are to reflect the question from Chelle about who should be bigger/smaller than others.
B ē tt ⓨ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 02:35 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Thanks for the clearer cup colouring image Betty.

The rest of your post is the same as what I was asking, however I wasn't making presumptions with order or size examples since there are endless possibilities. Everyone could be all the same size, or a whole group the same size with one or two smaller for example. Are you a poster here making a suggestion?
Old 05-27-2023, 02:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes! That's a much better representation of the cup's true color. Thank you.

I like this order preference:

Abbott, Rigsby, Van Pelt, Jane, Lisbon, Cho, Wylie, Vega, .....???

It keeps the original team more prominent.

Other than including the teacup color, I don't have any preferences. Of course red is definitely a signature color for the series. I'm just not sure if you can include the teacup turquoise and Red John red in a color scheme that will be pleasing. But as I said, I'm a terrible judge of colors so I'll be happy with most anything as long as the turquoise is in there.

I'm a little torn on including the smiley face. Frankly, it invokes a lot more creepies and no warm fuzzies. Including it might cast a pall on the board.

~Heidi
Old 05-27-2023, 03:01 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Did you want Jane & Lisbon the same size or keep Jane bigger?

Red can also be a harsh colour to use, but the right shades might work with the teacup colouring. I will have a little play around to see what may or may not work later today. But I think the Red John Red may be too harsh.

Understandable. I just saw it was mentioned last time so was curious if it was something wanted. Makes sense to leave it off.
Old 05-27-2023, 03:27 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinebrighterxx (View Post)
Thanks for the clearer cup colouring image Betty.

The rest of your post is the same as what I was asking, however I wasn't making presumptions with order or size examples since there are endless possibilities. Everyone could be all the same size, or a whole group the same size with one or two smaller for example. Are you a poster here making a suggestion?
I didn’t know the board existed until it came up for GT. But I recently binged the entire series and know the characters well.
Old 05-27-2023, 08:22 PM
Graphics Team Manager

I'm sure Heidi would love to have you posting here then now you've discovered the board if you can Betty

Heidi if the teacup colouring is all that you are thinking, perhaps we keep it simple & just go with a colour scheme made from those colours, such as this:

Editable Colour Scheme

If you wanted some variation/contrast (I know some aren't fans of single coloured boards too), perhaps we include the shades from the other colour scheme in highlight areas (links, buttons):

Editable Colour Scheme

We could also simply add some contrast with including a tan shade for the background colour, then the rest can be the teacup shades:

Editable Colour Scheme

If you wanted to include red, a colour such as this shade might work:

We could keep it only in the graphic, not in the customisation itself. So you get hints of the red, but then don't get the harshness or the inclusion of the face.

ETA: Looking at your comments for placement - Did you want Cho to be on the outer edge like you originally said (but larger than Whilie/Vega)?

So:

Dennis Abbott / Wayne Rigsby / Grace Van Pelt / Patrick Jane / Teresa Lisbon / Jason Wylie / Michelle Vega / Kimball Cho

Or with Patrick Jane bigger than everyone:

Dennis Abbott / Wayne Rigsby / Grace Van Pelt / Patrick Jane / Teresa Lisbon / Jason Wylie / Michelle Vega / Kimball Cho
Old 05-28-2023, 10:10 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinebrighterxx (View Post)
I'm sure Heidi would love to have you posting here then now you've discovered the board if you can Betty
Now that I know it's here I'll definitely try to pop in more!
Old 05-28-2023, 01:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Jane and Lisbon same size. A lot of fans appreciate the strength of Lisbon's character and I would not want to imply that she is in any way subordinate to Jane.

When I saw Betty's suggestion to have Cho next to Jane/Lisbon, I liked that idea. He is one of the original team, so should have placement/size similar to Rigsby/Grace. Then Wylie/Vega smaller and on the outer edge and Abbitt same size as Wylie/Vega and on the opposite side.

Abbott, Rigsby, Van Pelt, Jane, Lisbon, Cho, Wylie, Vega

A little pop of red in the graphic would be perfect. For example. a lot of people do the MENTALIST banner in red. If you keep the banner in the graphic, you could that.

I do think an all blue board might be a little boring. I'm also not sure that a turquoise background would be the best for ease of reading. Although now that I look at it, the Fringe board is almost all blue. I think of your suggestions, I like the 3rd one best: including a tan shade for the background colour, then the rest can be the teacup shades

~Heidi
Old 05-28-2023, 07:17 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Are you happy to leave where the pop of red is included in the graphic up to the GT as they make their graphic or would you prefer it used in the logo/text?

When I say background I mean the colour behind where the graphic is. There isn't a lot of text over that colour to read, but as it is always a pale shade & text a dark shade it is intended to be always readable. If there are any issues once the customisation is put up though please let us know
Reply   Post New Thread