Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2022, 06:42 AM
Moderator Support Team

VA TV Series - General Season 1 Discussion

In a world of privilege and glamour, two young women's friendship transcends their strikingly different classes as they prepare to complete their education and enter royal vampire society.

this is for general discussions of season 1 here.
please keep all major spoilers under a tag for the first week to give time for people to watch.
thank you.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:37 AM
Fan Forum Legend

thanks Jenn.... great idea to do a general discussion thread....
Old 10-02-2022, 08:44 AM
Moderator Support Team

yeah I thought so too
Old 10-02-2022, 09:48 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Thanks for this & the episode discussion threads
Old 10-03-2022, 06:58 AM
Fan Forum Legend

so how far is everyone in the season so far...

finished epp 3 yesterday
Old 10-03-2022, 09:25 AM
Moderator Support Team

you're welcome

im caught up on all the eps so far
Old 10-03-2022, 10:40 AM
Fan Forum Legend

oh...great to hear
Old 10-03-2022, 11:14 AM
Moderator Support Team

yeah
Old 10-04-2022, 10:25 AM
Fan Forum Legend

episode 7 in a few days now
Old 10-04-2022, 11:13 AM
Moderator Support Team

I cant wait to watch
Old 10-08-2022, 01:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I will not bash. But I would like to draw a comparison here.
To each their own, but I really didn't like the movie. I was really disappointed at Richelle Mead saying that the way the movie had turned out, was exactly the vision she had in her mind when she wrote the book. Because to me, the books always were mature. The first one is teenage-y, but after that, we really get into gritty young adult material.
And I felt the movie just.. devalued that (I guess that's the word). The movie tried to make it all about laughs, they didn't take themselves and the mythology seriously. And while that worked for the Rose character, to me, it didn't work for the rest of the movie.

Now, after saying that, in comparison... I LOVE that the tv show is serious. It's taking the story and it's mythology seriously. It's dark(er than the movie). It's mature. It's really bringing the characters of the books to life for me.

I never expected Julie Plec to stick to the original storyline of the books completely. I've read the first few books of the Vampire Diaries and she just totally did her own thing with the tv show. In the end, the only thing similar to the books were the names of the characters I think
So I had prepared myself for differences. And there are quite some differences. But to me, it feels like it captures the relationships and the energy of the books very well so far. I'm personally not at all bothered by the altered stuff.

Overall, I'm really very much enjoying this first season and I hope there will be plenty more seasons to come!
Old 10-08-2022, 03:23 PM
Fan Forum Legend

thanks Paula...it's been so long since I've watched the movie as well....it was 2013 when I listened to the books...
thanks for your insightful thoughts too
Old 10-08-2022, 06:22 PM
Moderator Support Team

I totally agree with you on that
Old 10-08-2022, 07:40 PM
Graphics Team Manager

I think the movie followed the first book more? But then completely agree with you it missed the level of darkness & maturity of the books. It made it more into the comedy & leaned more into that side than the darker or mythological side. In saying that there's only so much you can do in a movie. The show allows far deeper exploration, & they are definitely doing that.

I expect changes. Books are completely different mediums to television. I know I've seen things (not about VA) where people say shows should do one book per season, one episode per chapter... but that simply doesn't work. There isn't always enough in a chapter to translate into one episode. There isn't the drama necessary to keep viewers tuned in for each episode. It'd be hard in some cases to really build a world & translate things even with one book per season. Plus then you're left with a 6 season plan - where to next? Change up characters & focus more on Bloodlines? The way they're doing it is mixing & matching things which is allowing them to explore stories in their own time & in their own way. They could bring in Bloodlines characters now & it'd fit. They could have what happens in Bloodlines running alongside the storylines that they want from VA.

There's some changes where I've gone nope I don't like this. I don't see where you're taking this. But in saying that - would it be better watching something which was following the exact plot of the book(s)? You'd sit there knowing exactly what is going to happen so where is the interest in that? Where's the magic to keep you guessing & wanting to see more?
Old 10-08-2022, 10:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm curious to know on what stuff you went 'nope' Chelle?

I agree that to me, the fact that they change stuff up keeps things interesting for book-readers too. Knowing everything in advance would turn out to be boring after the initial rush of seeing 'your' beloved story on screen.