Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2021, 11:01 AM
Fan Forum Legend

M.O.M.: Mother of Madness [Emilia's comic book] #1: Because for 2 years she secretly worked on her own superheroine comic book #comicsrule #21st July

Instagram: @mayamotherofmadness

Quote:
"It started almost as a joke, Emilia Clarke recalls: "About three years ago, I was in a car with a bunch of friends and was like, 'Hey, guys, wouldn't it be really funny if…' And then I woke up the next day and was like, 'That would be funny. That would be f---ing cool. Why not?'"

And thus M.O.M.: Mother of Madness was born. The three-issue Image Comics miniseries, written by Clarke (along with writer Marguerite Bennett, who she calls her "comic guru"), follows a single mom named Maya who discovers she possesses freakish superpowers, and uses them to take on a secret cabal of human traffickers.

Clarke describes the comic as a Deadpool-esque blend of "a lot of silliness" and tongue-in-cheek humor, combined with a very current feminist sensibility "explored in an extreme genre-bending atmosphere."

"We're always calling mothers superheroes, and I'm like, what if they were? What if they legitimately were superheroes?" the Game of Thrones star tells EW. "Maya has had a very hard life, and she finds herself in a place where everything that makes her unique, she hates and is ashamed about. It's only in the discovery of her powers that she finds her true acceptance of who she is."
Emilia Clarke wrote a comic book! Preview her superhero story M.O.M.: Mother of Madness

title suggestions:

"Are there any women out there that are superpowered, but aren't in a skintight costume? Not that I can see."
"The biggest reason why I wanted to make this comic is because I wanted young girls to look at a woman that was fallible."
"What if mothers legitimately were superheroes?"
Because Maya's mask is similar to the signature balaclavas of Pussy Riot

Last edited by Heda_Khaleesi; 04-21-2021 at 12:52 PM
Old 04-21-2021, 11:03 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

Thx for the lovely thread.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:04 AM
Fan Forum Legend

you're welcome
Old 04-21-2021, 11:04 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Tftnt

OMG Emilia really is a comic nerd Yesterday and today feel so unreal!

EC | ADC

Old 04-21-2021, 11:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Emilia naming her comic book about a single mother with superpowers who takes on human traffickers "mother of madness"? Iconic already!
Old 04-21-2021, 11:09 AM
Fan Forum Legend

also guys i really find these facts important

Quote:
It started almost as a joke, Emilia Clarke recalls: "About three years ago, I was in a car with a bunch of friends and was like, 'Hey, guys, wouldn't it be really funny if…' And then I woke up the next day and was like, 'That would be funny. That would be f---ing cool. Why not?'"
Quote:
"We're always calling mothers superheroes, and I'm like, what if they were? What if they legitimately were superheroes?" the Game of Thrones star tells EW. "Maya has had a very hard life, and she finds herself in a place where everything that makes her unique, she hates and is ashamed about. It's only in the discovery of her powers that she finds her true acceptance of who she is."
Quote:
My brother was a comic nerd [growing up], and I wasn't allowed in the shops!" the actress recalls. "I wasn't allowed to go in with him, because I was the loser little sister. And the moments that I was allowed in, there weren't a lot of women on the covers, and there weren't a lot of women in the shops. So I didn't feel safe to explore it at that age."

Years later, though, the landscape hadn't changed much. "Cut to me at Comic-Con, and I'm there going, 'I'm still not seeing a lot of women. I'm still not seeing women that aren't in Lycra reflected back at me,'" Clarke continues. "'Are there any women out there that are superpowered, but aren't in a skintight costume? Not that I can see.' That's what led me to the 'Wouldn't it be funny if…' conversation."
Old 04-21-2021, 11:12 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Can we add these titles please?

"Are there any women out there that are superpowered, but aren't in a skintight costume? Not that I can see."
"The biggest reason why I wanted to make this comic is because I wanted young girls to look at a woman that was fallible."
"What if mothers legitimately were superheroes?"

EC | ADC

Old 04-21-2021, 11:12 AM
Fan Forum Legend

sure done
Old 04-21-2021, 11:14 AM
Master Fan

I can't express how happy I am right now, Emilia deserves everything good in this world and I can't wait to read her comic book!
Old 04-21-2021, 11:17 AM
Fan Forum Legend

same

and not to forget the fact that the cover is similar to the signature balaclavas of Russian protest punk group Pussy Riot. i mean, what a statement!
Old 04-21-2021, 11:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heda_Khaleesi (View Post)
same

and not to forget the fact that the cover is similar to the signature balaclavas of Russian protest punk group Pussy Riot. i mean, what a statement!
What are balaclavas lol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfully (View Post)
Emilia naming her comic book about a single mother with superpowers who takes on human traffickers "mother of madness"? Iconic already!
She's a special bean.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:27 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis (View Post)
What are balaclavas lol?

it's this clothing.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

Oh yes i know these, where did you read they are called balaclavas though? Never heared the term. I only know them as "Sturmmaske".
Old 04-21-2021, 11:34 AM
Fan Forum Legend

it's the english word for it and i got it from the EW article.

Old 04-21-2021, 11:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

Oh ok, i have not yet read the article I admit.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread