Old 07-08-2021, 07:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

Actually season 6 was pretty great tbh.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:09 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongIceFire (View Post)

Also, didn't all her handmaidens, her husband, her horse, AND her favorite bodyguard die at the end of season 1 and beginning of season 2? She's been thru this, fallen down, and got back up again.

I also think they knew each of their ideas for "why" were crap, and so they left it purposefully ambigious, with a dash of "the MADNESS HAS TAKEN HER"
And Rhaego her unborn son was killed too in S1. She lost Ser Barristan early in S5 too, and Viserion in S7 without going suddenly bezerk.

Also only a handful of Targaryens were actually considered "mad", most of them were a mix of good and bad just like every other house. So all this ThE cOiN fLiPs is contrived as hell. Even the ones who were mad, like her father, it didn't suddenly come out of nowhere. Aerys started going strange after he was traumatised from being held hostage in a dungeon during a war. Maegor the Cruel showed signs of cruelty all along without a sudden turn. What they did with Dany was the good old fashioned hysterical woman trope https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...ystericalWoman, an old sexist stereotype that D&D are pretending is fresh and genius writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis (View Post)
Actually season 6 was pretty great tbh.
I thought Robo-assasin Arya was pretty ridiculous, they didn't need to have her stabbed several times in the vitals then thrown into sewage water with huge open wounds and then be able to have an epic rooftop fight with the Waif the next day. Mostly the same plot could have been done without that.

But "The Door", "The battle of the Bastards", and the "Winds of Winter" were amazing.

Last edited by Kinky-Cousin; 07-08-2021 at 09:18 AM
Old 07-09-2021, 02:18 AM
Master Fan

How she got there in the last season was ridiculous, way too quick a turn. The problem is not what happened (though if they always wanted her tO gO mAd then they should have done a better set up early on) but it's how it happened, which can be attributed to most of season 8. Just rushed.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I hated how they took all she had built up. They reduced Tyrion's intelligence so Dany can lose everything when in reality it has to be win win , Dany gets intelligent advisor and Tyrion gets revenge on Cersei and people of KL. I hate the fact that Dany was in no win situation , she was judged the most for the things she wasn't directly involved, she did listen to Tyrion and she lost so she stupid , she didn't listen to him and it's actually worked with very little harm to anybody still she is mad and tyrannical. She is so complex that's why I love her and support. The Only True Empress!
Old 07-09-2021, 02:23 AM
Master Fan

I feel you. I

Season 8 is like a terrific song, but compressed in 25 seconds.

Daenerys killed thousands of innocents for no valid reason, she became evil in less than three episodes... after years of growth of the character. It's completely no sense.

The authors never make us feel why she decide to do that, why she would have done that.

It's like "Oh, this is the ending, she got mad, just accept it"

Just few episodes after she fought the Great War against the dead? She lost a dragon for this reason, she went to the North to fight for the living, she understood Jon Snow because she's a legit ruler... and then she killed people for no reason... in one and a half episode....
Old 07-09-2021, 06:40 AM
Extreme Fan

I agree, if the character had been written to properly show concerning signs that increased as the series progressed, if Emilia knew so she could include this in how she acts as Dany, it could have worked.

Tyrion's weird brain condition or whatever caused him to become a moron when he left King's Landing was extremely frustrating. He made stupid mistake after stupid mistake, he suddenly became pretty much a pacifist even though this is the same man who burned an army alive with wildfire, and he used to be such a good character.

I actually am disappointed that GRRM says the characters ends are the same but how they get there is different, Tyrion ending up as hand makes no sense. If anything he should break just like Dany, in the books especially he is extremely hateful and morally disturbed after he leaves King's Landing. He, like Dany, was originally a good person who got broken down by hate and trauma, especially regarding events at King's Landing, the evil Dragon Queen and her "impish" sidekick sounds like a pair of fairy-tale villains but this time they have a backstory explaining why they became this way. It also would combat the "everyone gets a Disney ending except Dany" thing that was stupid and didn't fit the show that originally wasn't afraid to kill popular characters. Tyrion ending up fully pardoned and handed such a high up position makes no sense.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I honestly feel like HBO could just rehire all the actors, do a 2 season show called "Totally not Game of Thrones" and remake the entire final 2 seasons properly with a massive budget and most people would be completely okay with it

EC | ADC

Old 07-09-2021, 02:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Even if season 8 was season 7 quality, the show's reputation would have been preserved. Most people didn't care about the plot holes of 7 all that much. They were just happy to see the action high production values.

Season 8 could have been the same. They could have kept the casual fans happy, and let them think we're being overly pedantic about flying a raven across a continent in an afternoon. Even if we didn't like it, we'd probably not find is so bad as to render the rest of the series unrewatchable. But even season 7's quality was too high a bar for those two.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:15 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Hm honestly I cared about the plot holes. I was just willing to overlook them because I had faith the rest of the series was going to be great. I thought the plot holes were aberrations, a few messy bumps in the road on the way to a masterful ending. I didn't realize the plot holes were actually a sign that the writing had gone to ****.

EC | ADC

Old 07-10-2021, 03:49 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Old 07-10-2021, 04:22 AM
Fan Forum Legend

That's what they did. Backstabbed us all.

EC | ADC

Old 07-10-2021, 06:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movies (View Post)
I honestly feel like HBO could just rehire all the actors, do a 2 season show called "Totally not Game of Thrones" and remake the entire final 2 seasons properly with a massive budget and most people would be completely okay with it
I think that would work out fine, I mean over a million people petitioned for that, so the viewers would be there.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:43 AM
Fan Forum Star

That pic is exactly how I felt
Old 07-12-2021, 12:03 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, cinematically it was great and the music as always was excellent, but the storytelling aspect of it was awful and that’s what people want most of all when a major series is ending - we want it to end in a way which fits how good the show was, and GoT just didn’t do that…
Old 07-12-2021, 12:05 AM
Master Fan

From what I could see season 8 looked cool for sure, but from a narrative standpoint nothing made any sense. Dothraki out front with useless weapons (before Melissandre showed up), people hiding out in the crypts for "safety", characters on the verge of being killed magically survive unscathed, Arya suddenly becoming a shadow ninja proficient in daggers... just bad/lazy writing trying to get by on style, like trying to shine a turd.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread