Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2016, 04:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Gossip Girl #6 - "Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness didn't know where to shop."

Welcome to the Gossip Girl thread

Because even though the show is over, we're still here.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Main Cast

|Blair Waldorf/Leighton Meester
|Chuck Bass/Ed Westwick
|Dan Humphrey/Penn Badgley
|Eric Van der Woodsen/Connor Paolo
|Dorota Kishlovsky/Zuzanna Szadkowski
|Ivy Dickens/Kaylee Defer
|Jenny Humphrey/Taylor Momsen
|Lily Van der Woodsen/Kelly Rutherford
|Nate Archibald/Chace Crawford
|Serena Van der Woodsen/Blake Lively
|Rufus Humphrey/Matthew Settle
|Vanessa Abrams/Jessica Szohr

Guest Stars

|Anne Archibald/Francie Swift
|Bart Bass/Robert John Burke
|Ben Donovan/David Call
|Carter Baizen/Sebastian Stan
|Ceci Rhodes/Caroline Lagerfelt
|Charlie Rhodes/Ella Rae Peck
|Cyrus Rose/Wallace Shawn
|Damien Daalgard/Kevin Zegers
|Dianna Payne/Elizabeth Hurley
|Georgina Sparks/Michelle Trachtenberg
|Hazel Williams/Dreama Walker
|Howie "the captain" Archibald/Sam Robards
|Isabelle Coates/Nicole Fiscella
|Jack Bass/Desmond Harrington
|Jessica Leitenberg/Alice Callahan
|Juliet Sharp/Katie Cassidy
|Kati Farkas/Nan Zhang
|Nelly Yuki/Yin Chang
|Louis Grimaldi/Hugo Becker
|Olivia Burke/Hilary Duff
|Penelope Shafai/Amanda Setton
|Raina Thort/Tika Sumpter
|Tripp Van der Bilt/Aaron Tveit
|William Van der Bilt/James Naughton
|William Van der Woodsen/William Baldwin
|Vanya/Aaron Schwartz
With friends like these who needs armies?

x

Fans

|tell me a lie
|Kiss of Death
|lessismore
|socialfirefighter
|ds44

Gossip Girl Alphabet

x

Last edited by lessismore; 09-15-2016 at 04:34 PM
Old 09-15-2016, 05:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the new thread Cece!

Just a reminder guys, there is no problem showing support and appreciation for couples of the show in the thread but if you are a bit more of a hard core shipper there is also the Couples Board!
Old 09-15-2016, 10:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Xo, Kitty

I'm sorry but there was literally 1 person that said something nice about DB? and Cece has been raving in all the threads with another poster about CB countless times and that was apparently fine, I don't see the issue.

Quote:
I so wish the writers didn't just go back to what they were expected to go to.
i truly felt like the writers felt they were stuck in a corner with the CB fanbase. it was just so large and i think they didnt want to get the wrath of that if they didnt end them together.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

There is no issue Alexa, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

I was just sharing a friendly reminder for those who want to talk more on the couples they ship.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:50 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
At first thinking that Serena ended up with her love of her life and her long lost father being a part of her family again made me happy for her. If you think about it like that I am happy for her. But when I think about Dan's reverse progress as a character and not seeing on screen that he actually deserved her after all he screwed up, and her not being the character they "foreshadowed" really upsets me. I can actually pass beyond her marrying GG but she ended up as an It Girl again and that really bothers me

I agree with this completely. I think they dropped the ball on Serena's character a lot, and I think instead of seeing her how they presented her in season one (strong, beautiful, bubbly, compassionate and always kind) they started to see her as Sabrina - shallow, vapid and flighty. Which I think did such a disservice to her. Because yes her abandonment issues from her dad did have an effect on her, but it wasn't all of who she was!! Tje people closest to her (that line of BLAirs in season 6 made me laugh, because the people closest to you don't treat you like crap and not even care. But then again season 5 Blair was like a completely different person) were the ones who stopped appreciating her, and that made me so sad for her . That one episode in particular after Nate fired her, her grandmother had died and she had to deal with DB, I just wanted to give her a hug

I always think that the back half of season 5 is like a badly written fan fiction, Blair in particular seemed to slide into the role of Clair Carlisle because it was easier than facing her feelings of loss and heartbreak. But the issue is that Dan treated Serena SO poorly, I agree with you, she did not deserve that at all. I just spent countless episodes feeling so sorry for Her and Chuck, they got pounded by the writers episode after episode. I was so happy by the time 5x22 came!!!
Old 09-16-2016, 01:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Xo, Kitty

it just was not a good message to show this "strong" woman blair take back chuck after all the crap he did to her. super disappointing for her as a character.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I only know the first season so I can't really comment but I loved Penn/Dan and Blake/Serena so when at the end of season one...things didn't pan out...I read ahead and didn't like the hooking up etc...
Old 09-16-2016, 02:05 AM
Dedicated Fan

I always forget how much I loved Dan/Serena in season 1 until I'm rewatching it and remember how cute they were!! Serena made Dan so happy and vice versa, it really is so sweet to watch! And I loved Dan in season 1, he was judgemental but he at least acknowledged it, and they all had flaws which is what made them such great characters. Such a shame they couldn't retain the quality of the writing all the way though.

And Personally I don't view Blair as strong in season 5, she had no direction or drive and was in an incredibly vulnerable state, after so much loss (the baby, Chuck) which Dan enabled. But I also don't think it's weak to finally decide to follow your heart and accept the love she felt for Chuck (who went though serious character development in season 5 actually), I think that was her finding herself again. But we'll probably never agree on that
Old 09-16-2016, 06:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Season 1 Dan got Serena to stop drinking. He got her to obey curfew.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:53 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
it just was not a good message to show this "strong" woman blair take back chuck after all the crap he did to her. super disappointing for her as a character.
Agreed I think it sends a horrible message to women, especially young women, that it's ok to take back your boyfriend/husband/whomever even after they sold you for a hotel (literally treated you as property) or used physical violence with you and your friends (Serena, Jenny). I really didn't like the way he would speak to her and speak to her as if he owned her. That's simply not a good message to send viewers. And I will never not think the writers made a mistake with this But to each their own.

And thanks Alex -- I can never come into this thread, even though I enjoy talking about the show and it's moments and relationships, because DB are bashed constantly. And it seems most DB fans even admit to really loving CB in the beginning, but were disappointed in the writing...but people go off on DB and Dan ALL the time. It's not really a fair environment.

Quote:
i truly felt like the writers felt they were stuck in a corner with the CB fanbase. it was just so large and i think they didnt want to get the wrath of that if they didnt end them together.
Definitely And it's a real shame because like we were saying in the last thread -- they clearly cared about DB because they were building them up for seasons.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysjolex (View Post)
I agree with this completely. I think they dropped the ball on Serena's character a lot, and I think instead of seeing her how they presented her in season one (strong, beautiful, bubbly, compassionate and always kind) they started to see her as Sabrina - shallow, vapid and flighty. Which I think did such a disservice to her. Because yes her abandonment issues from her dad did have an effect on her, but it wasn't all of who she was!! Tje people closest to her (that line of BLAirs in season 6 made me laugh, because the people closest to you don't treat you like crap and not even care. But then again season 5 Blair was like a completely different person) were the ones who stopped appreciating her, and that made me so sad for her . That one episode in particular after Nate fired her, her grandmother had died and she had to deal with DB, I just wanted to give her a hug

I always think that the back half of season 5 is like a badly written fan fiction, Blair in particular seemed to slide into the role of Clair Carlisle because it was easier than facing her feelings of loss and heartbreak. But the issue is that Dan treated Serena SO poorly, I agree with you, she did not deserve that at all. I just spent countless episodes feeling so sorry for Her and Chuck, they got pounded by the writers episode after episode. I was so happy by the time 5x22 came!!!
If you think about it, it really was AU of AU actually. Maybe on paper it made sense but as usual execution was a disaster.

In second half of S5 everyone took their roles in Dan's book. Chuck said to Louis don't let someone fiction to be your reality and in Season 5 Blair chose a safenet to avoid the messiness of a real life with her true love. How I love that scene between Serena and Blair in 5x13

Blair took the role Claire Carlyle, especially in 5x16, who was also a mixture of Serena and Vanessa. You can actually see her wearing Serena's coat in 5x18. As a character the most damage is done to Blair in Season 5 imo. she was unblairable. She became a wannabe Princess. Till the end she was the weakest of herself, where we actually see her finding her inspiration back in 5x22. Before that she even let the steering wheel to Dan, or of all people to Georgina. Could you imagine Blair like this before? She was fierce and strong and she became pod!Blair.

Serena became as you said shallow. A golden shell of herself.
Nate was struggling to become his own man.
Chuck was maybe not dead but he was out of the picture.

Oh and Dan, he didn't change that much because Dylan is actually him as he said he was the worst

See if you watch the first half of S5 again and second half (if you can stomach lol) you can see how they were paralelling first half with two. After CB's crush GG is gone and the show becomes an AU of AU (Dan's book). The idea is really intreguing but on screen it sucked.

Quote:
I always forget how much I loved Dan/Serena in season 1 until I'm rewatching it and remember how cute they were!! Serena made Dan so happy and vice versa, it really is so sweet to watch! And I loved Dan in season 1, he was judgemental but he at least acknowledged it, and they all had flaws which is what made them such great characters. Such a shame they couldn't retain the quality of the writing all the way though.

And Personally I don't view Blair as strong in season 5, she had no direction or drive and was in an incredibly vulnerable state, after so much loss (the baby, Chuck) which Dan enabled. But I also don't think it's weak to finally decide to follow your heart and accept the love she felt for Chuck (who went though serious character development in season 5 actually), I think that was her finding herself again. But we'll probably never agree on that
I absolutely agree with this too.

Last edited by lessismore; 09-16-2016 at 12:04 PM
Old 09-16-2016, 05:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandiexjeyton (View Post)
Season 1 Dan got Serena to stop drinking. He got her to obey curfew.
I watched for them but knowing that they go separate ways ....
Old 09-17-2016, 04:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneybangelcakes (View Post)
Agreed I think it sends a horrible message to women, especially young women, that it's ok to take back your boyfriend/husband/whomever even after they sold you for a hotel (literally treated you as property) or used physical violence with you and your friends (Serena, Jenny). I really didn't like the way he would speak to her and speak to her as if he owned her. That's simply not a good message to send viewers. And I will never not think the writers made a mistake with this But to each their own.

And thanks Alex -- I can never come into this thread, even though I enjoy talking about the show and it's moments and relationships, because DB are bashed constantly. And it seems most DB fans even admit to really loving CB in the beginning, but were disappointed in the writing...but people go off on DB and Dan ALL the time. It's not really a fair environment.

Definitely And it's a real shame because like we were saying in the last thread -- they clearly cared about DB because they were building them up for seasons.
It's why I don't come here every I don't feel comfortable. Yeah the hotel thing was to much I might have been able to get past it but then C went to another relationship that he treated Eva well and then he declares war on B and then moves on with Raina and then is possessive when she tries to move with Louis so s4 was the point of no return for me

I also didn't like him trying to find out who Blair kissed as Blair says we broke up you kiss lots of people

Last edited by fox24; 09-17-2016 at 04:49 AM
Old 09-17-2016, 02:22 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
If you think about it, it really was AU of AU actually. Maybe on paper it made sense but as usual execution was a disaster.

In second half of S5 everyone took their roles in Dan's book. Chuck said to Louis don't let someone fiction to be your reality and in Season 5 Blair chose a safenet to avoid the messiness of a real life with her true love. How I love that scene between Serena and Blair in 5x13

Blair took the role Claire Carlyle, especially in 5x16, who was also a mixture of Serena and Vanessa. You can actually see her wearing Serena's coat in 5x18. As a character the most damage is done to Blair in Season 5 imo. she was unblairable. She became a wannabe Princess. Till the end she was the weakest of herself, where we actually see her finding her inspiration back in 5x22. Before that she even let the steering wheel to Dan, or of all people to Georgina. Could you imagine Blair like this before? She was fierce and strong and she became pod!Blair.

Serena became as you said shallow. A golden shell of herself.
Nate was struggling to become his own man.
Chuck was maybe not dead but he was out of the picture.

Oh and Dan, he didn't change that much because Dylan is actually him as he said he was the worst

See if you watch the first half of S5 again and second half (if you can stomach lol) you can see how they were paralelling first half with two. After CB's crush GG is gone and the show becomes an AU of AU (Dan's book). The idea is really intreguing but on screen it sucked.

This is really interesting I hadn't thought of it as intentional! But perhaps it was! Executed poorly of course, it was Safran after all but that is a really interesting way to look at it!
How they acted was definitely s reaction to dans book at least - Chuck got so much development and progression as a result of the realisation that he didn't want to 'die alone in a closet'. Serena was so shell shocked by her degradation (as she should be!!!) that she became even more lost as a result. She tries to find herself at the Spectator and Nate fires her. She's so isolated by Dan and Blair that she is pushed to turn to bloody gossip girl as a therapeutic release, which was never going to end well. I always think- it's just so weird that Dan tore her to shreds so badly.. Are we supposed to forget how much he loves her?? It's a Shame that in order to place Dan and Blair together they had to completely ruin Derena, by creating so much indifference in Dan, that I never bought as organic. Blair - well Blair was a complete mess after the accident, and you're right about Dan, he just doesn't possess an ounce of self-awareness, which to me is so unappealing as a character trait, since he judges everyone else. I didn't care in season 1 because he loved Serena so much, he genuinely wanted the best for her as well, so his judginess was just a vice, that all characters had. The rest of them all had flaws, of course they do, but He seemed to think he was morally superior and that was hard to stomach. But you're right, if they had handled this differently, it could have been been a lot better than it was anyway!

Was anyone happy about lily ending up with William by the way?? I don't like how he treated his daughters and he got away with so much!! That always bothered me
Old 09-17-2016, 02:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

CB and Rufly are in this cute list I love them!
29 TV Couples Whose Romances We're More into Than Our Own | The Stir

It's also Matt's b-day today!! How cute!!

Quote:
This is really interesting I hadn't thought of it as intentional! But perhaps it was! Executed poorly of course, it was Safran after all but that is a really interesting way to look at it!
How they acted was definitely s reaction to dans book at least - Chuck got so much development and progression as a result of the realisation that he didn't want to 'die alone in a closet'. Serena was so shell shocked by her degradation (as she should be!!!) that she became even more lost as a result. She tries to find herself at the Spectator and Nate fires her. She's so isolated by Dan and Blair that she is pushed to turn to bloody gossip girl as a therapeutic release, which was never going to end well. I always think- it's just so weird that Dan tore her to shreds so badly.. Are we supposed to forget how much he loves her?? It's a Shame that in order to place Dan and Blair together they had to completely ruin Derena, by creating so much indifference in Dan, that I never bought as organic. Blair - well Blair was a complete mess after the accident, and you're right about Dan, he just doesn't possess an ounce of self-awareness, which to me is so unappealing as a character trait, since he judges everyone else. I didn't care in season 1 because he loved Serena so much, he genuinely wanted the best for her as well, so his judginess was just a vice, that all characters had. The rest of them all had flaws, of course they do, but He seemed to think he was morally superior and that was hard to stomach. But you're right, if they had handled this differently, it could have been been a lot better than it was anyway!

Was anyone happy about lily ending up with William by the way?? I don't like how he treated his daughters and he got away with so much!! That always bothered me
Agreed agreed!
Oh Safy He was fired and we got a 10 episodes of finale season thanks to him. It's like a bad joke still today! I don't exaggerate when I say I still have PTSD over S5. Thank god for Chuck and Monkey tho And you know what I also hate? How they ruined CD too because actually I really found their dynamic way more interesting than DB. At least they had chemistry too I love CD scenes and they ruined them in second half too. Then again it was really AU of AU GG. And even then DB didn't work

I don't remember anyone liking Lily ending up with William. I'd prefer Lily alone or with Rufus but they turned Rufus into a doufus especially in Season 5 too and with Season 6 with Ivy just yuck tbh. And of course they were gonna choose DS over RL too. Then again it kinda felt like an open ending for Rufly to me, they were still very close and a family

Last edited by lessismore; 09-17-2016 at 03:05 PM
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top