Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2015, 12:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Heroes

Well it was my main complaint seeing as how she's my fave character and I was excited about hearing about her backstory and seeing bruce/nat, but for me it felt flat in both regards. For god sake if they won't give us a movie, at least give us some more of the back story they keep dropping hints about
Old 06-14-2015, 06:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Black Widow is mentioned a bit in this article about female superheroes.

Quote:
Hollywood Sets Up Its Lady Superheroes to Fail

FEMALE SUPERHEROES IN lead roles just don’t work.

Isn’t that what we’ve been told? Leaked emails from the CEOs of Marvel and Sony have called female-led superhero films disasters.

Why is that? According to a exit polls, 40 percent of the Avengers: Age of Ultron audience was female, and similar stats have been published for other super-powered films. This proves (to those who didn’t already know) that there are women superhero fans. So why do we not get leads of our own gender?

It’s understandable that studios and networks want to back money-making franchises, but let’s face it: female superheroes have not been given much of a chance. I analyzed superhero films going back to 2000 and found that of the Marvel and DC films that were released theatrically since then, only 4 percent had female leads (i.e. the titular character or the top-billed actor in ensemble casts).

This was a depressing sample size of two: Catwoman and Elektra. Of these, Catwoman was the only true box office bomb; Elektra brought in more at the box office than it cost to produce. There are certainly financial failures in the 96 percent of male-led superhero films (Jonah Hex, anyone?), and yet these box-office flops have not prevented additional male-led films from being green-lit.

Female-led films are set up to fail. Let’s use the Razzie-winning Catwoman as a case study. Catwoman had a production budget that was two-thirds that of Batman Begins, which came out the next year. Unlike the well-known directors who spearheaded male-led films, Catwoman had a director unknown and untested in the American market. Catwoman’s costume, clearly made for sex appeal, was criticized by fans and media alike. The male-written script may be the largest culprit. The main plot begins with Halle Berry’s character being killed over…face cream. Is it any wonder Catwoman wasn’t a success?

Some may point out that despite the lack of lone superheroine leads, there are women in ensemble casts: Storm. Emma Frost. Black Widow. Such characters have been a saving grace to female fans.

Yet it hardly seems fair that only a quarter of both the Avengers and the X-Men are women. When they do appear, these characters function largely as love interests for the male leads. Black Widow’s highly-criticized role in the recent Avengers film is a prominent example.

The disadvantages suffered by female superheroes go even further than the films themselves. Off-screen, superheroines don’t get the same merchandising support as their male counterparts do. Mark Ruffalo (yes, the Hulk himself) tweeted about the lack of Black Widow merchandise. Of the 60 items initially released for the latest Avengers film, Black Widow featured on just three. This under-representation not only gives superheroines a disadvantage in terms of branding, but it supports the idea that they are less important to the industry.

Television has been more willing to give female superheroes a chance. Of the DC and Marvel live-action series that aired in the past 15 years, 27 percent had female leads. ABC does deserve kudos for picking up Agent Carter for a second season. This spin-off of Captain America proves that there is an audience for female-led shows in which the main plot is not a romance. In adult 18-49 same-day Nielsen ratings, Agent Carter is on par with the male-led The Flash, Arrow and Gotham.

If only future shows would learn something from Agent Carter. Yes, Supergirl, I’m talking about you.

The trailer for Supergirl markets the show as a rom-com about a ditzy blonde who goes from dorky to bombshell, falls in love, battles indecision on clothing choices, and somehow still manages to save the day in her brand-new miniskirt. So it’s basically The Devil Wears Prada…with superpowers.

It’s patronizing to market to female viewers as if we are only interested in fashion and romance. Do we not face the same major struggles that men face? The Supergirl trailer is shockingly similar to Scarlett Johansson’s spoof of the Black Widow movie that-sadly-will-never-be on SNL. Perhaps the Supergirl trailer is misrepresentative of the actual show. With female writers on staff and a sizeable budget from CBS, hopefully this is true. However, if the show really is as harebrained as the trailer makes it out to be, Supergirl will inevitably be cancelled. When that happens, Hollywood will have one more example of how female superhero leads just don’t work.

It’s patronizing to market to female viewers as if we are only interested in fashion and romance. Do we not face the same major struggles that men face? That’s our double standard. Poorly penned scripts. Rom-com female superheroes. A lack of female writers. A lack of understanding female audiences. Unknown directors. Significantly lower budgets. Little, if any, merchandising.

So, to all of you naysayers out there who say that female superhero leads just don’t work…well, of course they don’t. How can they be expected to succeed when they are doomed to fail from the beginning?

Audiences certainly have a desire for action films and series with strong female leads: The Hunger Games, Alias, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the most recent Mad Max. Why can’t the superhero genre get on board?

Of the announced 10 DC and nine Marvel films that will be released over the next several years, each publisher had just one female-led film each. Should we be happy that they each had one? Is that 11 percent of upcoming female films so much better than the 4 percent we had before? Still, with Captain Marvel and Wonder Women in the works, perhaps there is hope for female superheroes. More likely than not, these films will suffer in the same way that their predecessors did.

With studios and networks putting no faith in their superheroine content, there is little hope that female superheroes will be given the chance they deserve.

Networks and studios should invest in female-led films and series. They should hire female writers, and take the time to understand female audiences, and focus on the strength and intelligence of their female leads (as opposed to their ability to win men). If they do all this, then we stand a real chance.

You’ll see: Female superheroes will just work.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Heroes

Well I mean that's true. The super girl trailer is the freaking parody black widow one from snl for god sake. And I can't see gal gadot as Wonder Woman
Old 06-16-2015, 06:17 AM
Obsessed Fan

Nice article about female superheroes.

I still want a Black Widow movie that can explore her past more in depth.

Even though I liked her role in AOU less than in the first film and in TWS, Natasha remains one of my favorite Avengers.

~Kat
Old 06-16-2015, 12:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's the thing, female superheroes are still majorly in the minority.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Heroes

That's why I'm excited for ghost in the shell
Old 06-18-2015, 04:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Do we know when that is supposed to start filming?
Old 06-19-2015, 11:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Heroes

Early next year I think
Old 06-20-2015, 03:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't even know how Kim K. came in second. Her ass is gross lol and makes her body proportions look weird to me.

Quote:
Scarlett Johansson has the world's most perfect body

What makes a perfect woman's body?

The measurements of Scarlett Johansson, according to a British lingerie company, Bluebella, who rated celebrity female forms using an ancient Greek equation of what is considered truly beautiful, and applied it to women's curves.

The Golden Ratio has been used by the Greeks for years as a way of determining the ultimate proportions, and Scar-Jo scored a super high 96.4 when it came to measuring bust to waist to thigh measurements.

The holy trinity, naturally.After a year of not so amazing news, isn't this exactly what we needed?

Forget about how to build a plane that never crashes or curing auto-immune diseases, finally one of the world's most thought-provoking problems has been solved. We now have a mathematical equation for what is a truly beautiful body.

Phew. I'm glad that's been done.

"We were running a computer simulation on celebrity women and in doing so we inadvertently discovered that Scarlett Johansson's figure is pretty much as close as you can get to the perfect Golden Ratio," said brand founder Emily Bendell to the UK's Sunday Telegraph. "It was alarmingly close to the Golden Ratio."

Because you know, spending an afternoon popping human measurements into the computer is exactly what you do to fill a rainy day, right? Measure women against each other?

And Scar-Jo should consider herself lucky, because she was only one tenth of a percentage point in front of the one and only Kim Kardashian, who scraped into a close second with 96.3 (clearly, Kanye wasn't allowed anywhere near the Golden Ratio equation – perhaps maths, like reading, is not his favourite way to while away an afternoon).Jokes aside, despite the objectifying nature of the survey, it's not all bad because it really is pointing out that "beautiful" is actually different shaped bodies.

Helen Mirren swooped into third place with 95.3, followed by Kelly Brook, Cameron Diaz, Elle Macpherson and Salma Hayek. All ladies with spectacularly different bodies, yet all are considered true beauty. Quelle surprise.

"We were pleased to see that the women's figures who faired best were all very different, which shows that you do not have to be have a skinny model-like physique in order to be beautiful," said Bendell.And that in itself is most reassuring. Because as much as we all like to say that we are all beautiful, the ones who consistently get ranked on top are the amazonian models whose proportions I, at 163 centimetres, could never hope to reach.

But Scarlett? She's shorter than me! She has hips! She has breasts! She even has that same soft thigh flesh that is particular to girls around my height!

And as much as I can't stand these people telling us what is beautiful and what isn't (because isn't beauty in the eye of the beholder?) on a very shallow, superficial level I'm ashamed to admit is still there, I appreciate this.

Because if it turned out that it was Gisele Bundchen or Heidi Klum or one of the Victoria's Secret models who had the world's most ideal body, I would have cluck clucked and tut tutted about the ridiculous unfairness of it all, and gone back to my warming bowl of porridge.

Oh hang on. I'm doing that anyway.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Kim is just gross end of story lol I know scarlett has one of the most desirable bodies, as we often hear
Old 06-20-2015, 03:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

At least you don't have to hear or see Kim/Kanye 24/7. Lucky!
Old 06-21-2015, 01:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Hardly see her around here unless you watch her show
Old 06-21-2015, 05:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

She's on all the entertainment news shows, entertainment websites, etc... BLECH. I wish Scarlett was talked about more, but since she's not a controversial figure, she doesn't make the news that often.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Heroes

Scarlett has a beautiful figure. Kim is fake fake fake. And I'm glad scarlett isn't all up in the tabloids, the only thing she used to be in for was her dating life lol.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

And we know how private she is with her relationships. I didn't even know she and Ryan were dating until they got married.