Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-25-2004, 10:49 PM
Master Fan

Signs of complete and utter YA-obsession

1. You go on a mad department-store hunt for Barely Pink nail polish.
2. You buy an entire Blur album just for Tender.
3. You can't help but mime rowing when you hear David Gray's Sail Away.
4. You start wearing 'boy' clothes and contemplate getting your hair cut short.
5. You name your daughter Jake. She'll just have to live with it.
6. You think of Charlie's garage every time you drink a Coke.
7. You wish you had school with no parents all year 'round.
8. You're singing "Six Pacs" every other minute of the day.
9. You start photographing random things in a desperate attempt to channel Hamilton.
10. You have an inane desire to buy a Harley.
11. At a restaurant, you think the word "fin" automatically means the knowledge-dispensing teacher from Rawley.
12. You gravitate towards cotillions.
13. Ju-Ju Bees are a part of your daily diet.
14. You go on random road trips asking different people if they're your real father.
15. You've feng-shui'd your room.
16. You like sleeping in abandoned wood cabins.
17. You wish your parents ran a prep school like Rawley just so you could attend for free.
18. You want to experiment with different methods of gas-pumping.
19. You read the word "gray" and start humming "This Year's Love".
20. You mouth all the lines along with the characters whenever you rewatch the eps.
21. You gravitate towards drive-ins.
22. You start calling your friends "townies" and "rich Rawley snobs" for no apparent reason.
23. You contemplate and envision daily the perfect way to mame and annihilate each and every CEO at the WB for cancelling YA.
24. Your first thoughts upon hearing any of the characters' names elsewhere go straight to the show.
25. Beer makes you think of The Getaway People.
26. Reading the title "Green Eggs 'N Ham" makes you want Hamilton with a side of green eggs.
27. Seeing words that resemble the names of people in this fan community send you into a YA daydream for hours.
28. Always wishing you would meet someone as bad and as charming as Ryder.
29. You quote the show at weird and inopportune times.
30. You know all the words to "Fernando" and make anyone who's in the car at the time sing it with you or you kick them out.
31. You read "To Kill A Mockingbird" and think of Scout Calhoun.
32. You like to watch baby deer for no reason.
33. As you walk towards your next class with a library book that's due in one hand, you mutter under your breath 'I have to pee and return a book'.
34. You rent a movie just because it's got a YA actor in.
35. You buy a wine you never tasted before just because that it's named Hamilton.
36. Everytime you see the moon you wonder if it's full tonight. Or if it's going to turn pink.
37. Whenever you hear Magic Carpet Ride in any movie, you tend to jump just a tiny bit.
38. You still have an old, wrinkled picture of Jake and Hamilton in your Binder.
39. You force a friend of yours who happens to be a steward to search half the US just to bring you the ROA-DVD before the movie even hits cinemas where you live...
40. You corner a friend who's a film critic the day after the preview of T3 and snap "So, you gave a good write-up on Mark F, didn't you? I mean, he was good."
Friend goes (a) "Huh?" and (b) "Who?"
41. You actually have a mashed and blackened fingernail painted barely pink.
42. All your composition books have Hamilton Fleming - Rawley Academy on the covers, and all your buddies know who the books really belong too and return them to you when you lose them.
43. Your morning routine before leaving for work includes watching Will and Scout ride off in the bus, and you vowing never to let it end either.
44. When the first sign of spring is you taking your white dinner jacket to the cleaners to be ready for any cotillions.
45. You go out and buy yourself a nice black satin bra.
46. When visiting Havre de Grace, you sit for a long time on Scout's bench, waiting for a bus to the airport that never comes.
47. Still in Havre de Grace, you walk off down Congress Street in a blue tank top, just like Hamilton in his final scene.
48. Your mission is to find the rooftop in Atlanta where the Hamilton whizzing and Jake kissing scene was filmed.
49. When building model railroads, you name a passenger car Hamilton Fleming and a coach Jake Pratt. The cars named for Jake and Hamilton will, of course, be coupled together.
50. When someone says something you don't agree with or don't understand, you respond with, "Wait, back up like 500 feet!"
51. When someone yells "JAKE!!!" in the hallway, you're dissapointed when you don't see Hamilton streaking past wearing only a towel.
52. You send a mail to your local community board suggesting to change the name of your town to New Rawley II.
53. You buy a bag with "Obsessed" written on it, and immediately think of printing out a picture of the cast and taping it to said bag.
54. You have an undeniable urge to smile if you ever see a bunch of Boy Scouts.
55. Whenever you see a copy of True Romance the similar YA music comes to your head.
56. The words 'hack' and 'database' instantly refer you back to Jake's computer systeming
You think of Jake when:
57. You see a strappy pink dress
58. Tub of Gel
59. Someone stutters meaningly
You think of Ham when:
60. You see rosy red cheeks lol!
61. If one of your friends mutters the words "bike" and "I'm going to get my", you instantly want to jump on them.
62. You're thinking of cutting waist length hair (which you just rebonded last month).
63. You're having a little tiff with your b/f for being an hour late for your date -- just because you were rereading fanfiction, you lost track of time again.
64. You're still meeting your deadlines and doing your work, but other stuff took a back seat in favor of YA Stuff (fan fiction and fan forum).
65. You keep turning off your cell so no one can disturb you with your computer.
66. You managed to work YA into an English Lit. essay on a random book.
67. You always read YA fanfic in your free periods.
68. You are banned from all coffee shops in your area, because you're the crazy girl who exclaims "MY KINGDOM FOR A COFFEE!!!" every time you entered the building. There is now a restraining order against you.
69. You name your plants Jake.
70. You run towards random bodies of water in your underwear yelling and cheering, singing "Six Pacs"...
71. You've had many sticky situations by asking the guy behind the (fastfood restaurant) counter for a "quickie".
72. Wearing your mother's wedding dress to a dance sounds appealing to you even if it does reeks of mothballs and have poofy sleeves. If Bella pulled it off, why not you too?
73. You (girl) dress up as a boy, run up and kiss your boyfriend and say 'I'm messing with your head, dude' and run away before he gets a chance to punch you.
74. You stole a red Corvette and drove around New Rawley in the hope to pick up a hitch-hiking "YA" character. Any one. Hell. Even Frank would do.
75. You put in contact lenses - 2 different colours to look like Bella. You ended up with a mean eye infection, but you got the desired effect.
76. You get your dad to tell your boyfriend that he's actually your brother, just to see the look on his face.
77. When "whoever" asks you what you're watching and you reply "Young Americans", their reaction is "*groan* Oh god, not THAT again!".
78. You've dyed Barbie's hair black, cut it short, and for some reason...Ken can't find his leather jacket.
If you dyed your hair black, your new hair-do would resemble Jake's.
79. "Fernando" is always playing in your car, and you're always trying to coax your unsuspecting passengers to join your sing-along.
80. You cheat in a very important entrance exam and try to forge a father-son/daughter bond with the teacher that busts you to experience what Will went through.
81. You rip the return address off random parcels and go to the addresses in the hope you'll find Bella's mum.
82. You only drink full fat coke, never from a can, only from a bottle!
83. Watching and discussing "YA" makes you speechless!
84. In whatever competetive game/sport you play, you call one team 'Rawley dumb rich snobs' and the other 'Rawley smart poor townies'.
85. You re-read already re-read YA (most Jahammer) fanfics over and over again.
86. You almost ran over a deer once, and had to be tranquilized for wanting to do it again-with "Fernando" playing on the background.
87. Knowing that he's miserable without Barbie and his leather jacket, you send Ken to the therapist, who teaches him to move on and throw caution to the wind. He now refuses to wear anything but a familiar pink polka dotted dress.
88. When watching crew teams on TV, you try to see if the coxwain or any of the rowers is really a girl pretending to be a guy, no matter how muscular he may be.
89. You now have a restraining order asking you to stop trying to 'throw caution to the wind' and barging in every females' and males' shower room you can find.
90. You've sent a bomb threat to the WB and asked them not to make the same mistake they did on YA again. Said bomb exploded after 5 seconds when they asked you what "YA" meant.
91. You've called YA 'soothing','a lifeline', and 'therapeutic'. Words that you hardly attribute to any of your friends, family, or your shrink.
92. You feel the need to strip down to your underwear/s everytime Tender comes on.
93. You tell your mom that you've decided to try out cross-dressing for a year over at the boys' school and then you ask her not to notice you...at least not until you've found your very own version of Hamilton.
94. You have the urge to hurt the character that's causing all the angst on the fanfic you've been reading. (Doesn't matter if he/ she's fictional, it'll all seem real once you're done with him/ her. )
95. For your college entrance essay, you used the line "throw caution to the wind". A lot.
96. Ducks and docks puts you on a nostalgic mood, in more ways than one.
97. You're planning to camp out of the WB studios and chant: "DVD, DVD, DVD..."
98. Best indication that you'll keep a friend's secret: you wiggle your eyebrows and declare that you're like a Swiss vault.
99. You're always ready to lecture anyone who tries to pull the chair out for you.
100. Someone once called you 'foxy'. He now knows the 101 Ways to Not Win Your Heart...by heart.
101. You know where real passion comes from. And you've got the balls to prove it.
102. You have a panic attack when Vertigo's site is unavailable.
103. You're obsessed when you make Jahammer scenes your message alert tone.
104. You will watch From Within only because the movie was filmed in Havre de Grace.
105. You try and find YA connections to all the other shows you ever watched, currently watch and plan on watching in the future.
106. You realize you spent more than a quarter of your life obsessed with YA already.
107. You remember the date YA first aired, but can't remember the birthdays of close family members.
108. You try to re-start watching CSI:Miami cause you consider it the YA reunion show

fics | vids | stupid little life

Last edited by wolkenfuehlen; 07-29-2008 at 07:14 AM
Old 03-26-2004, 02:28 AM
Obsessed Fan

I did #1 and #4. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

5. You name your daughter Jake. She just have to live with it.

I used to be schizo but now we're fine.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:36 AM
Ultimate Fan

I [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] your idea Nicky love -- in fact, let me add (one more thing before I slumber [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]):

5. You think of Charlie's garage every time you drink a Coke
6. You wish you had school with no parents all year 'round
7. You're singing "Six Pacs" every other minute of the day
8. You start photographing random things in a desperate attempt to channel Hamilton
9. You have an inane desire to buy a Harley
10. At a restaurant, you think the word "fin" automatically means the knowledge-dispensing teacher from Rawley
11. You gravitate towards cotillions
12. Ju-Ju Bees are a part of your daily diet
13. You go on random road trips asking different people if they're your real father
14. You've feng-shui'd your room
15. You like sleeping in abandoned wood cabins
16. You wish your parents ran a prep school like Rawley just so you could attend for free
17. You want to experiment with different methods of gas-pumping
18. You read the word "gray" and start humming "This Year's Love"
19. You mouth all the lines along with the characters whenever you rewatch the eps
20. You gravitate towards drive-ins
21. You start calling your friends "townies" and "rich Rawley snobs" for no apparent reason
22. You contemplate and envision daily the perfect way to mame and annihilate each and every CEO at the WB for cancelling YA
23. Your first thoughts upon hearing any of the characters' names elsewhere go straight to the show
24. Beer makes you think of The Getaway People
25. Reading the title "Green Eggs 'N Ham" makes you want Hamilton with a side of green eggs

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Be kind...I know I suck... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

**ETA**: Sorry about the #5 discrepancy. My list took a while to populate, and at the time Peetch hadn't posted. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-26-2004: Message edited .:NiennaValandil:. ]

Janine || [ @FF.net ] [ @AO3.org ] [ @WP.com ]
Old 03-26-2004, 03:42 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by .:NiennaValandil:.:
<STRONG>I [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] your idea Nicky love -- in fact, let me add (one more thing before I slumber [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])</STRONG>
One more thing? [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Peach - you really named your daughter Jake? Wow, that's dedication to YA! *bows down to Queen of YA-dedication*

Should I edit the opening post to include all the reasons, or is it more fun to scroll down and read everybody's comments? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

[ 03-26-2004: Message edited Silversun ]

Old 03-26-2004, 03:48 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>13. You go on random road trips asking different people if they're your real father</STRONG>
[img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img] That had me in stitches! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Peetch Mlba:
<STRONG>5. You name your daughter Jake. She just have to live with it.</STRONG>
hey! that's my job! lol i feel kinda sorry for her, especially now she's growing and people are wondering why "Jake" is in pink dresses and bootees! lol

26. Seeing words that resemble the names of people in this fan community send you into a YA daydream for hours.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Fan

Nicky: I'm glad you liked! The sad thing is that I did do a lot of them. And as far as the extensiveness is concerned, yeah, I couldn't help myself -- I was in the middle of watching my eps and I was on a roll. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] They just kept tumbling out...

But even as it is more fun to scroll [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img], I think it might be a good idea to add them to the opener -- y'know, just for everyone to see when they arrive at the thread and all that.

Good one TORIAxXx [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img].

Old 03-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Silversun:
<STRONG>
3. You can't help but mime rowing when you hear David Gray's Sail Away. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
</STRONG>
OMG! [img]smilies/love.gif[/img]

Quote:
18. You read the word "gray" and start humming "This Year's Love"
and OMG again! [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] that is soo me!

And I always wish I would meet someone as bad and as charming as Ryder... am I the only one? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Life as Mia
Old 03-26-2004, 02:19 PM
Master Fan

Nicky, I think Peach was just posting another comment for the YA-obsession [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]. She's still pretty young, but who knows? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] maybe in the future she named her daughters Jake Hey Therese, how are you doing?

Actually I think Toria named one of her twins Jake (middle name).

Quote:
<STRONG>Peach - you really named your daughter Jake? Wow, that's dedication to YA! *bows down to Queen of YA-dedication*
[ 03-26-2004: Message edited Silversun ]</STRONG>
[ 03-26-2004: Message edited talliann ]
Old 03-26-2004, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Fan

Not at all Mia -- Charlie is a sex bucket. [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img]

Got a few more:

27. You quote the show at weird and inopportune times
28. You know all the words to "Fernando" and make anyone who's in the car at the time sing it with you or you kick them out
29. You read "To Kill A Mockingbird" and think of Scout Calhoun
30. You like to watch baby deer for no reason

Old 03-26-2004, 03:25 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>30. You like to watch baby deer for no reason</STRONG>
[img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img] Janine you're on a roll!

Ah, sorry about the whose-baby-is-who thing. I knew somebody's baby was called Jake but I got confused! [img]smilies/embarrassment.gif[/img]

I went back and edited everything so far into the opening post. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-27-2004, 05:20 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
<STRONG> Ah, sorry about the whose-baby-is-who thing. I knew somebody's baby was called Jake but I got confused! [img]smilies/embarrassment.gif[/img]
</STRONG>
does that make me the Queen of Ya-dedication? SCORE!!! lol sadly she is called Jake. she'll probably hate me wnen she's older. bless her. but by then YA will be out on DVD **fingers crossed** so she'll watch the episodes and understand why she's called Jake.

[ 03-27-2004: Message edited TORIAxXx ]

[ 03-27-2004: Message edited TORIAxXx ]
Old 03-27-2004, 06:29 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
29. You read "To Kill A Mockingbird" and think of Scout Calhoun
I sooo did that! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Life as Mia
Old 03-27-2004, 08:10 AM
Master Fan

29 I am sooo guilty of [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

31. As you walk towards your next class with a library book that's due in one hand, you mutter under your breath 'I have to pee and return a book'
Old 03-27-2004, 09:00 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by talliann:
<STRONG>Nicky, I think Peach was just posting another comment for the YA-obsession [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]. She's still pretty young, but who knows? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] maybe in the future she named her daughters Jake Hey Therese, how are you doing?</STRONG>
Maybe I will. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm only 17 though. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Besides, I'm not a mother-kind-of-person, if you know what I mean. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

I used to be schizo but now we're fine.