Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Master Fan

Scout Calhoun Appreciation thread

Yes, after rewatching the episodes carefully, (and with the Jahammer love in some sort of perspective this time round,) I completely fell in love with Scout.

What is there not to like about him? He's cute and honest and devoted and has a quirky little sense of humour. I love him with Bella, and he's very slashable with Will. That's a mark of true versatility for you.

Fanon has seen Scout mutate into this bumbling idiot who, more often than not, lives to start fistfights with Sean and is out to ruin Bella and Will's budding relationship; but he's completely different in the canon episodes. He's cultured but not stuck-up, sympathetic without being patronising, and I don't think he's anywhere near as selfish as Bella made him out to be - if you're totally in love with someone, you'd want to find out if they are your sibling or not, right? It's Bella who I'm having real trouble understanding this time - personally I found her irrational and overreacting a lot of the time (like a typical teenage girl, I suppose). Scout's a sweetie.

Not to mention he is very pretty.

Join in the Scout!love, people.

fics | vids | stupid little life
Old 04-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Elite Fan

I'm very guilty of thinking of fanon Scout as the real Scout. *apologizes* I remember (long ago) when I started rewatching the episodes but had to stop after the pilot. I loved Scout in the pilot, he was so sweet and completely in love with Bella. Must start rewatching soon.

(Erm, think we should merge this with the old Mark/Scout thread we have? Or close the old one and use this one as the new one?)
Old 04-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Master Fan

*whines* But I don't wanna appreciate Mark; I just wanna appreciate Scout.

I hate what fanon has done to Scout. I don't know how it happened at all.

(Conversely, I love what fanon has done to Ryder. After watching the episodes I realised my fanfic!Ryder was completely OOC, as with most fanfic!Ryders, but I like ours much better. )

Does anyone else think Scout is really good-looking? I remember first watching the show and thinking he has this amazing, classic beauty to him. It's breathtaking sometimes.

Old 04-14-2005, 03:24 AM
nki
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversun
Fanon has seen Scout mutate into this bumbling idiot

i'd choose his friendship with Will over his relationship with Bella. Bella/ Scout developed fast. I think they fell in love then learned about their (possible) real relationship in one episode. It was too fast, and a bit too 'perfect'. Then they spent all the remaining episodes trying to deny their feelings, find out the truth, etc. (even more reasons to hate WB for cancelling YA...)

pretty? maybe... even Will couldn't resist his charms...
Old 04-14-2005, 04:46 AM
Master Fan

I love Scout/Will! I am completely obsessed with this pairing at the moment. That kissing scene was the perfect fangirl moment.

You know, when I rewatched the episodes I couldn't help getting this really niggly feeling that Bella isn't in love with Scout anymore. He's still in love with her, I think that's clear - if they found out they're not siblings he'd ditch Paige in a heartbeat. But when I try to envision the scenario, I actually think she'll be very passive and not really let go of Sean but not really dash Scout's hopes either. I don't know, maybe I'm taking too cynical a view of Bella recently. But I really think she'll hum and ho between Sean and Scout, ostensibly staying with Sean for the time being but stringing Scout along for a long time.

Old 04-21-2005, 04:58 AM
Part-Time Fan

Hey there.

NKi, Iwould like to know where you got this picture or do you have the episode where you've taken it.

I'm curious to know because it's a French channel on which I first watched the 8 episodes of Young Americans and fell with the story of Jake and Hammie.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:15 AM
Obsessed Fan

I'm indecisive when it comes to Scout. He wore his heart on his sleeve, he was (mostly) selfless, generous, and caring.

What's fanon?

Oooh, I share your niggly feeling. It seemed that Scout was the only one that wanted to push things, to find out whether they were related. He seemed genuinely devestated that they couldn't be together, and had a hard time moving on... Poor guy.

"Drink this blood and we'll become immortal, baby..." ["Immortal" by The Rasmus]

Are YOU listening?

In an mmmbop I'm ...
Brek
Old 06-27-2005, 07:12 PM
Master Fan

fanon = fan-created state of affairs (say, via fanfic) relating to the show, which could be substantially different to what is actually the case. A well-known example would be Draco from Harry Potter, who is an absolute bastard in canon but turns out to be quite the awesome guy in a lot of fanon.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:50 AM
Obsessed Fan

Fanon is basically a fan-fic? And Draco's an ae in the books and movies...I'm just hoping he'll turn out to be misunderstood later and try and redeem himself.

So, Scout hey...

"Drink this blood and we'll become immortal, baby..." ["Immortal" by The Rasmus]

Are YOU listening?

In an mmmbop I'm ...
Brek
Old 07-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Master Fan

Fanon's not really "a" fanfic, more like a state of affairs created by many fanfics/other fan creations all pointing toward the same thing. One fanfic can't really have the power to create fanon, but a bunch of fanfics, say, all portraying Scout as kind of stupid, will gradually create the fanon conception that he is, even though he's not in canon.

*schnoogles Scout*

Old 07-05-2005, 02:38 AM
Obsessed Fan

Thanks for the clarification.

Do we think Scout's dumb?

Are YOU listening?

In an mmmbop I'm ...
Brek
Old 07-05-2005, 03:40 AM
nki
Absolute Fan

I think some are just sticking with that WBSHM cabin scene. ("A girl!") Everyone remembers that and Scout was somehow stereotyped with this certain characterization. I wouldn't say dumb. More like...clueless.

He's always there for...everyone. Which could be endearing and/or annoying. There are times that he just feels the need to mind other people's business. I don't think it's a character flaw. It's just one of the many things that makes him Scout.

Scout. whattaname.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:47 AM
Obsessed Fan

Honestly, Scout was one of the only characters that acted the age they were supposed to be portraying. For a 15 year old, I think exclaiming "A girl" was pretty accurate to how a 15 year old boy would respond to that sort of situation.

Are YOU listening?

In an mmmbop I'm ...
Brek
Old 07-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Master Fan

I loved him in that scene, he was so adorable. And everyone was mean to him.

Old 07-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think Scout and Bella fell in love too fast. Sure the chemistry was there but I think it was unrealistic for them to fall in love after one day.

However, Scout is a very sweet person. Like it was said before, he's helpful without being patronizing. Even though he's very cultured, I think he has a very ingenuous charm. He might have been a little dumb in the "a girl!" incident but I think that adds to his innocence.