Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-03-2004, 06:41 PM
Master Fan

Episode discussion - 1x08: Will Bella Scout Her Mom? (old thread)

With the last day of Rawley Summer Session comes bad news for Will, who learns that the funds for his scholarship have been withdrawn, and Bella, who must fight against the sale of her family's gas station and home. The gang hits the road with Bella, determined to find her mother, who after ten years of silence is the one person who can save the station. On the journey, after running into car trouble, Bella, Will, Hamilton, Jake, Scout and Sean find themselves stuck in a cabin overnight, where tempers collide between all. Bella's eventual meeting with her mother opens up possible truths to the past, while Jake's true identity finally comes to light.

Transcript (html)

fics | vids | stupid little life

Last edited by Silversun; 11-29-2004 at 09:28 PM
Old 05-04-2004, 07:42 AM
Master Fan

This was a cute episode! i liked it.

The train tracks was my favorite scene especially Will kissing Scout's cheek [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2004, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Fan

this ep started a lot of the basis for a lot of stuff... all the Will/Scout slash out there, the Townies... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] And considering it was the end for em, I guess you could very well speculate where they'd go with it.

When the guys see Jake? [img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img] Meanwhile, I liked the way in which the ending came about in this 'and then there was one..' kinda way. Nicely done. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Scout became a bit trying as the season got on, and I think this was his most annoying yet [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Although the scene in the cottage was pretty damn [img]smilies/spineyes.gif[/img] for all involved [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~ "Gas, gas, honk. Gas, gas, honk. Honk, honk, punch. Gas, gas, gas." ~
Old 05-04-2004, 10:26 AM
Obsessed Fan

I really liked it how Bella said Jake's a girl, they're not gay. and when Scout said What's he doing in a dress?.

I also liked the Will-kissing-Scout-on-the-cheek-part. I made me write slash... [img]smilies/eyebrows.gif[/img]

I used to be schizo but now we're fine.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Peetch Mlba:
<STRONG>and when Scout said What's he doing in a dress?. </STRONG>
I love that scene. It's hilarious [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2004, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Fan

It's all about how everyone finds out about Jake being a girl. Will's face and his quote...

"What the hell?"

[img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img]

And then when Scout and Sean came to the cabin and everyone's like "Scout, Sean!" and then Scout says "Jake?" with that look on his face... [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

**ETA**: There was the deer-watching scene that, IMO, made for a whole bucket of corn...lame. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] But then, without it, Ham wouldn't have come out and said "Wow, baby look at that" to Jake, so...once again, a scene saved by J/H.

Of course, it is all about the J/H shower scene, or "almost" shower scene (damn you Finn [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] ), and there was nothing more adorable than their goodbye scene...I'm not ashamed to admit that it made me cry, especially since they played that fantastic "Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" medley at the end that I love so dearly. It still left the door wide open for a fall season (*WB Execs* [img]smilies/pout.gif[/img] ), it was a good ending.

And plus...if there had been a regular season and depending on how bad the writers would have screwed the characters over, the birth of Nicky's wondrous fic wouldn't be so perfectly timed or so desperately needed. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/kiss.gif[/img]

Excuse me whilst I pry my lips off of her ass... [img]smilies/mischief.gif[/img]

[ 05-04-2004: Message edited The Fifth Element ]

Janine || [ @FF.net ] [ @AO3.org ] [ @WP.com ]
Old 05-04-2004, 03:35 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by The Fifth Element:
<STRONG>And then when Scout and Sean came to the cabin and everyone's like "Scout, Sean!" and then Scout says "Jake?" with that look on his face...</STRONG>
That was the most hilarious part! And then
Bella: "Jake's a girl."
Scout: "Jake's a what?"
All: "A GIRL!"
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

<STRONG>
Quote:
Excuse me whilst I pry my lips off of her ass... [img]smilies/mischief.gif[/img]</STRONG>
[img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img]

Ooh, I totally agree that the Scout/Will kiss opened the way to a lot of slashfics. Did you guys know for my very first fanfic episode, I couldn't decide whether the major storyline was going to be Will falling in love with Bella, or Will falling in love with Scout? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] The whole thing may have turned out very differently...

fics | vids | stupid little life
Old 05-05-2004, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Fan

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Now that would have been interesting Nicky! [img]smilies/eyebrows.gif[/img]

Actually, my friend and I actually had a few issues with the writers so it did occur to us that in the hands of the fic writers (the more adequate ones anyway) it might have been better! I reckon it's better open ended anyway (that, and there's not much else we can do now is there? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] ), we got a range of what-was-to-be [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 05-05-2004: Message edited emjay ]

~ "Gas, gas, honk. Gas, gas, honk. Honk, honk, punch. Gas, gas, gas." ~
Old 11-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'm crying my eyes out. Literally. I just watched the last episode of YA, and when Jake see's that her bikes fixed and stuff I just got choked up. It was the end, I can't believe it. I knew it was coming obviously, but I didn't know I was going to feel like this. I'm seriously upset, I can hardly see the screen . When she gets on her bike and puts her helmet and shades on and smiles, it's so sad . I know it was a show and that was it's end, but they give some reference to it going on, like it's real.They made it sound like they'd be together again, that she'd be coming back if "they don't kick her out". I just, well, I can't see it to be honest....something about that ending, makes me think that was it. They'd never see eachother again

Oh if only you could see me now. I'm gutted, really I am.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:32 PM
nki
Absolute Fan

I think everyone cried with that one. Not only because we know that it is the last ep but because of the whole scene itself. It was like goodbye but as Jake said...Who said it's over? A lot of fanfics have been written to continue the story and i haven't read anything which didn't come up with a way to get them back together.

you all know what happened to my files so aside from going avatar crazy, i also watched this JH music video. one of the simplest gesture which always makes me smile is that part when Hamilton's all sad and he was saying that it was over and Jake does this thing with her nose to make Ham look at her and says,,,"who said it's over?"

The last episode left us all wondering and which may have also served as an inspiration for a lot of fans to continue the story one way or another. There were so many questions left unanswered and I remember thinking that it was such a waste if that was everything to YA. I mean it was so good that I found it quite impossible for a story to have such an ending. That's when I learned about fanfic, fan forum, etc...so Jake was right...who said it's over?

-the shower scene, of course
-the tracks--another head-grabbing scene.
-Hamilton's towel...(you know what happened)
-Jake lifting Ham's head with her nose to make him look at her
-Jake trying to compose herself and they do this little wave...then she reaches up again to kiss Hamilton.
-Jake slowly kissing Hamilton lightly before noticing her bike(notice Hamilton still looking at her as he kisses her lightly on the cheek...)
-Jake grabbing Hamilton's face and says "No..." Ham just smiles and roars...or grrrs...whatever... + the sounds he made during the shower scene..."yea.../yay"

I try to skip the last part when Jake drives off because I would just upset myself. They had a good ending but I just wished it didn't end with jakeandhamilton crying. They could've at least showed the part where Jake turns back to Hamilton or maybe even 30 seconds of what happened in New York. These things really make me wonder about what could have been...what would happen, what episodes should've been shown for the second season of YA. Come to think of it, if they left us hanging with the ending, maybe they were really prepared for the second season. The script was written already. It was like a surprise party with everything else prepared..only to find out that the celebrant wasn't coming...no celebration after all. But then again...on a brighter side...the party can still go on. After all, you couldn't waste time sulking when you know you could still have fun. I've spent so much time ranting about the WB when I could just enjoy watching the lovely YA to brighten up my day...

**I seem to be enjoying posting really long messages today... You can just sum it up with jakeandhamilton+YA=, actually...***
ETA: i didn't realize that it was that long...

Last edited by nki; 11-01-2004 at 04:38 PM
Old 11-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Master Fan

Aww, lovely post Nikki . I guess that's exactly the way all Jahammers felt after last epi . And the same happened to me, only after watching the last epi of YA I found out about fanfictions and FF. I needed more J/H stuff

See? That's what I was talking about too! The little gesture of Jake and Ham and their noses touching slightly and so perfectly

Quote:
Originally posted by nki
one of the simplest gesture which always makes me smile is that part when Hamilton's all sad and he was saying that it was over and Jake does this thing with her nose to make Ham look at her and says,,,"who said it's over?"
Hannah, so which epis is your fave?
Old 11-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Part-Time Fan

Well I couldn't watch all of episode 5 or 7 because they wouldn't play, so I can't say for sure I have a favorite episode. I hated the fact that J&H got like NO screentime compared to B/W/S
But I have some fav scenes (the ones I saw anyways).

~ Jake and Hamilton trying to get Jake's bike back lol! "what are you doing?? Ben's in love with you not her!" Katherine's face is classic, trying to stop Ham from laughing lol.

~ Ham hitting Jake with the boat oar lol. Aw, poor Jake.

~ When Ham said to Jake about being in love with her. That was sooooo sweet

~The whole computer thing in episode 1. Katherine's voice was spot on, though I don't yet why they dubbed it?? she clearly said dads bank account not mums lol.

~ I actually loved the scene at the resturant when Jake gave Ham the lecture (and rightly so) about him actingly differently. I mean I know he was being really nice and was a gentleman, but it was like he was treating her too differently. Just because she was wearing a skirt, it didn't make her a different person. He, after all, didn't fall in love with the girl because he didn't know thats what she was. He fell in love with the person.
But yeah, I felt sorry for both of them. It was obviously a weird time, but I kind of felt more for Jake, because she didn't want him to get all manly with her. She wanted them to be equals, no more, no less. She, like him, fell for the personality. Igorance, on his part at least, was bliss.

~ The scene when Bella tells Jake that she wondered "why this beautiful girl was dressed like a boy" . I just loved the way she said it, I wasn't expecting that. I thought she was just gonna say "are you a girl?" - It was nice, and Jake taking her helmet off and smiling was sweet.
It funny because when I looked like the screencaps of Bella and Jake sitting next to eachother in the cafe, I (for some reason lol) thought that Bella knew she was a guy. But she didn't. It was cool though, because she knew something was up straight away, the look she gave Jake lol.
"Cute coat" lol. Ham was thinking "Jake don't be too obvious", Will and Scout were thinking "My God, he is super gay", and Bella was like "So...why is she dressed like a guy? and WHY don't these guys realise it??" lol. Her face was like puzzled because the guys clearly had no idea at the time, introducing Jake and Ham as fellow 'guys from Rawley', and Bella's like "yeeeaaaahhh....alrighty!"

The thing is I feel that we were given way too little in the visual J&H stake, but the story went on really fast. I mean what we should have had was (if they were to just keep it as one season) to be around 14 epsosdes; for the progression to take a lot longer, and for them to have A LOT more screentime.

Last edited by the_stud; 11-01-2004 at 08:48 PM
Old 11-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by the_stud
I hated the fact that J&H got like NO screentime compared to B/W/S
That's probably because W/B/S supposely were the main characters and the B/S drama was supposed to be the main storyline.

Quote:
Originally posted by nki
one of the simplest gesture which always makes me smile is that part when Hamilton's all sad and he was saying that it was over and Jake does this thing with her nose to make Ham look at her and says,,,"who said it's over?"
That's so sweet. The whole scene is one of my favourite J/H scenes.

Quote:
-Hamilton's towel...(you know what happened)
Oh, I do.

Quote:
I try to skip the last part when Jake drives off because I would just upset myself. They had a good ending but I just wished it didn't end with jakeandhamilton crying. They could've at least showed the part where Jake turns back to Hamilton or maybe even 30 seconds of what happened in New York.
I actually don't do that. I just can't stop the tape during that scene. I need to see the ending to tell myself once again that the show is over. And I actually love these last scenes because they leave so many possibilities open. Of course it's annoying to not know exactly what will happen once the gang comes back to Rawley Academy, but isn't it more fun this way? I'd rather have a good open ending than a bad ending that answers all questions. Actually, there is no ending that would answer all questions, so this was probably the best solution. Besides, they didn't know that the show would be cancelled when they were shooting it, and they wanted to leave everything open for the next season.

Feel free to post on the other episode discussion threads as well, btw. They are somewhere on page 2 or 3 I think.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:01 PM
Part-Time Fan

Hiya

I was making a video animation of the scene with Ham and Jake in the showers, and I noticed that they must've loop some footage together. When Jake's says "ok" to showering with Ham, the camera cuts to Ham, then back to Jake, who moves her head back exactly the same way as she did before it cut to Ham.
To check this, I cut out the pictures of Ham, and linked the two scenes of Jake moving her head back together, and it runs really smoothly.

If that doesn't make sense, then hopefully this will.
The scene that we saw was like this:

Jake: ok...
Ham: ok?
Jake: yeah, ok...ooook

But I actually think it went

Jake: ok...yeah ok...ooook
Ham: ok?

I know that it would be weird if thats the way it was....and actually it probably wasn't lol!! but if you watch closely, she says ok and she leans back, then when it cuts back to her she does EXACTLY the same thing again. It is pretty identical, because as I said I spliced it, and there are no chinks, it runs smoothly.

Ok, reading back over this I think I'm being silly lol. But although it wouldn't really make sense if it was how I think, it looks like it could have been because of her movements.

*End of rabblings* lol
Old 11-04-2004, 01:37 PM
nki
Absolute Fan

details...details... i wouldn't be able to analyze the scene because...it is one of those scenes.,you know?

rose said that the set was closed because of (some?) nudity with the scene...

i'll leave now with a and some (jakeandhamilton should have been in the title...>will/bella/scout...her mom? what about jakeandhom? ham...)