Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2005, 06:56 AM
Elite Fan

Charlie Hunnam #7 - The Angelic Lamb

Welcome to the Charlie Hunnam Thread!

Everything you need to know before you start posting can be found here.

Previous Threads:

Charlie Hunnam #6 - Because soon we will need new character names to play with!
Charlie Hunnam # 5 Home of the Gay Chicken Dance
Charlie Hunnam #4 Ladies&Gentleman...Rythan&Choyd,the 2 Biggest Freaks in the World!
Charlie Hunnam # 3 Because Choyd and Rythan live here!
Charlie Hunnam # 2 So young, so bad...so what?
Charlie Hunnam (Ryder) Appreciation Thread

Next Thread title: ??

Choyd you weren't around to start the new thread so I had to do it! But since we're the same person ( aren't we?) I guess it's okay.

I took the thread title from the first post of thread #6 because I couldn't think of anything original. If you have any better suggestions, post them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mia~
Girls! I just reread the last Charlie thread! We have to go back to the crazy days! I couldn't stop laughing!
But we'd scare everyone away again! I absolutely the pic you posted! Are you sure I can't borrow Charlie?

Brek thanks for posting the links! I already knew the pics from the Spin shoot, but I don't think I've seen the other ones yet.

Dori, why don't you ask the site owner about the pic you're searching, maybe they know which one you're talking about...
Old 08-30-2005, 07:26 AM
Ultimate Fan

New thread We made it!!!

Rythan, don't worry...I plan on staying here and be able to start the next thread and as you said we are the same person! But I'm 100% sure that you can't borrow Charlie...well...maybe for awhile...but always supervised!

Life as Mia
Old 08-30-2005, 07:38 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen

Dori, I love the last picture. I'd love you forever if you'd find your disc. Seriously.
Elle Scans

ELLE PAGE 1
ELLE PAGE 2
ELLE PAGE 3

I have been meaning to write .net (what I call them because I am .com) I am just worried that there might be this compitition thing going which is silly because I am currently offline and I really don't know the webmaster or if he/she would be like that. Then I worry that since the picture no longer seems to be on the site that maybe she was told not to have it on her site which would surely mean she is not going to part with it....then I also wonder if I am not crazy enough that I only imagine the picture. cue the scary music
Old 08-30-2005, 08:04 AM
Elite Fan

Choyd, good to know that you plan to stay here. Hmm... if we're the same person, there's actually no need for me to borrow Charlie, is there? Damn.

Oh my god, I love you Dori!!!!

...Charlie was whisked off to LA and is shooting a Gus Van Sant film about surfers;... - there's no such film, is there? Or did I just miss it?

You definitely worry too much about .net and the picture!
Old 08-30-2005, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Fan

damn right!

*sigh* I'm really bored...and I have to make my birthday list! Just 21 days until my 21st birthday!

Life as Mia
Old 08-30-2005, 02:52 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen

Oh my god, I love you Dori!!!!

...Charlie was whisked off to LA and is shooting a Gus Van Sant film about surfers;... - there's no such film, is there? Or did I just miss it?

You definitely worry too much about .net and the picture!

You are very welcome. I hope to have .com up soon where a lot of my collected pictures/transcripts and what not will resided

The Gus Van Sant film from what I can tell is/was called "The Lads" was to have been filmed 1999 which may or may not have happened. I do know that CHAPs has some pictures of Charlie with a surf board and that at least some filming took place.

I do know that there is an interview from circa 2002-3 that said Charlie did not take to surfing very well and has a fear of sharks so that may have been what happened to that movie. Another movie from that time that I don't know what happened to is "The Great Trek" Charlie was to play real life character Peter Barton who at 17 traveled with a crew across Sahara in a Cooper only that too seems to be missing without explanation...add to that "The Beauty of Jane" ???

And if I didn't worry I wouldn't be me. lol

A nice review of Charlie's performance

Quote:

Jeffery Wells
Ruffians
It's doesn't aspire to high art or try for the sort of emotional engagement that makes you choke up, but Lexi Alexander's Green Street Hooligans is nonetheless a very intense emotional hybrid thing, which is to say a sports movie and a bloody gang-violence movie mashed into one.

I don't know how well this mostly London-based film is going to do in the States given the exotic milieu and the thuggish attitudes (i.e., the world of boozed-up, ultra-violent British soccer fans), but it's vibrant and original enough to warrant being seen and grappled with. It sure as **** is an experience and an education.

The lads doing what they know, love and do best in Lexi Alexander's Green Street Hooligans And it's absolutely a career springboard for British actor Charlie Hunnam, who steals the show with a second-banana performance as a violent, in some ways immature, soccer fan who is nonetheless man enough to bring a sense of balance and compassion to an otherwise loutish lifestyle.

Hunnam starred in Nicholas Nickleby, and was in Cold Mountain, a Katie Holmes thriller called Abandon and the British TV series Queer as Folk, but who noticed? Now this 25 year-old has punched through the superficial tag it is to call him a younger Brad Pitt with a Brit accent. What matters is that he conveys an inner groundedness and conviction on top of a sense of basic decency that you find yourself recognizing and responding to right away.

Hunnam is not just the star of Green Street Hooligans -- he's a star waiting to happen. Maybe. If he's lucky and has the right agent and can do an American accent. (There seems to be some question whether or not he appears in Robert Towne's Ask the Dust, which will debut at the Tellruide Film Festival in a few days). Whatever happens, he's got it inside.

Charlie Hunnam

Green Street Hooligans is a story about a young American (Elijah Wood) on a visit to London who gets caught up in the violent world of English soccer fandom by joining a "firm," which is a term for a gang that asserts and defends the honor of a given soccer team by parading around after soccer matches and confronting other firms and kicking their ribs in, or vice versa.

It sounds repulsive and cro-Magnon on one level, but European guys take soccer (which, of course, they call football) very seriously. And a lot of British working- class dudes are extremely furious about...well, I don't know what precisely but apparently a lack of opportunity within a still-fairly-restrictive social caste system and having to make do with certain economic terms. I've been to London a few times and have felt this. The social-rage levels over there are much more intense among the disenfranchised than they are here.

And there are elements that go with being a firm member...tribal love, loyalty, security...that you're not ever going to find vegging out in front of a computer or a TV, so there's something to be said for it.

If you're at all receptive to the values I'm speaking of and you can roll with fairly realistic depictions of street violence, Green Street Hooligans is affecting in a hormonal, territorial way. If it doesn't exactly speak to Americans where they live in terms of being avid sports fans, it certainly is different and bracing and a movie to kick around and talk about and send your friends to.

Unless, that is, you happen to be one of those absent-sports-gene types who just doesn't feel it or get it, in which case it may seem too exotic and what-the-hell?

I'm kind of in this camp (my favorite spectator sports are tennis and baseball), but I get what the film is putting across and I respect the effort and the craft that Alexander and co-screenwriters Dougie Brimson and Josh Shelov have put into making this world come alive.

The German-born Alexander, a late twentysomething who grew up with football fandom and knows this universe fairly well, has made a name for herself with Hooligans and has already gotten a gig out of it -- a thriller for Disney called Labor Day.

When you`re watching Hooligans...I'm sorry, Green Street Hooligans ...you have to keep telling yourself, "A young woman directed this, a young woman directed this." But then Alexander is a former World Kickboxing champion who used to scrap with a Mannheim, Germany, firm for three years, so...

Green Street Hooligans won both the grand jury prize and the audience award for best feature at the South by Southwest festival last March, which should indicate something.

(It used the original British title of Hooligans at that Austin venue, and I can't quite understand why the distributor, Odd Lot Releasing, feels that adding the words Green Street makes the film more appealing to U.S. audiences.)

Wood's character, a Harvard journalism major named Matt Buckner, is the audience's tour guide into this bizarre world of Brit football fanaticism. He gets into it by getting kicked out of Harvard only three weeks or so before graduation when his snotty fortunate-son roommate arranges for him to take the rap for cocaine found in their dorm suite.

(This isn't a very convincing beginning. In Josh Shelov's original script Matt gets the boot after he and some classmates are accused of having cheated on an exam, and he is specifically ousted because his friends don't stand up for him -- an issue of loyalty that is dealt with later in the film.)

Matt flies from Logan to London to visit his sister Shannon (Claire Forlani), who's married to a steady-seeming guy with a vaguely pissy attitude named Steve (Marc Warren). But Matt has arrived on a day when Steve is taking Shannon to see Chicago in the West End, so he's temporarily placed in the care of Steve's wild-assed brother, Pete (Hunnam).

Suspicious of this wimpy-looking yank, Pete reluctantly takes Matt to his local pub to meet his crew, who are called the GSE -- i.e., Green Street Elite, a two-fisted firm devoted to the West Ham soccer...I mean football team.

Matt is regarded with some distance but then wins the respect of the firm when the GSE gets into a street fight with another firm and he throws himself into battle with real ferocity.

I had trouble with watching this at first, with Wood being so small and sensitive-seeming with those big watery eyes of his. But then I understand and sympathize with his having wanted to de-wimpicize and add some machismo to his persona after playing Frodo in the Rings films. (Has there ever been a more dewy-eyed, super-weenyish lead character in a major franchise?)

Trouble arises when a GSE member named Bovver (Leo Gregory) uncovers evidence that suggests (without actually proving) that Matt may be an undercover journalist secretly writing a story about the firm. This leads to all kinds of betrayals and soul-searchings and double-backs, and eventually the GSE gang going up against an especially hated firm whose leader has been nursing a particular rage against Pete's family for years.

It's not hard to step back in the middle of all this and ask yourself, "Why don't these guys just chill and pull back from this stupid-ass gang attitude that necessitates getting into fights all the time?" It seems so primitive and stupid and unenlightened, etc. I understood the meaning of it and felt it to a certain extent, but it wasn't exactly coursing through my veins.

Then I read Lexi Alexander's explanation for the behavior of these guys (who are legion over Europe), and I started to feel it a bit more. As I mentioned earlier, she was part of a firm in Mannheim, Germany, for three years (accepted by the males because of her black belt kick-boxing abilities) and knows the turf.

"Reliable. Protective. Loyal. Consistent. That's what I remember most about the firm...which was more than you could say about any of our parents," she writes. "The firm was our family. What we missed at home, we found in each other..in our firm. The riots were about proving our love, because obviously a bunch of guys don't walk around telling each other, 'I love you, man.'

"Standing next to your friend when you're facing thirty guys who want to punch your face in -- that's love.

"Coming back for somebody who fell or was left behind, despite the fact that you're most likely going to get your ass kicked -- that's love.

"Watching your mates out of the corner of your eye in a fight, and making sure you come to [their] rescue when needed -- that's love.

"Getting arrested and not remembering anyone's name when the cops question you -- that's love."

The message of this film, she says, is never abandon a friend when the chips are down.

Green Street Hooligans director Lexi Alexander, star Elijah Wood at Austin's Draft House after South by Southwest screening last March.
"When your friend is sick, don't run. When your friend has a crisis, don't run. When your friend is going through a streak of bad luck, don't run. When your friend is being treated unjustly, stand behind him/her, or better yet, stand in front. And when you become successful, don't leave your friends behind."

That gets me. I know that if I had a dollar for every fair-weather friend I've ever had, I could buy a new 100 gig computer. I know I could certainly use a friend or two with a "firm" attitude. Couldn't we all?

On the other hand, I haven't punched or even shoved anyone since I was in the seventh grade. And I need my fingers to be agile and unswollen because I have to type all the time. And British blokes can afford to lose a couple of teeth now and then because they have a good national health care system to turn to -- I don't.

There's a 1988 Gary Oldman film called The Firm (dir: Alan Clarke) that covers the same territory. Here's the Amazon page for a buyable Alan Clarke DVD package that includes The Firm. I hear it's strong and worth seeing. Anyone...?

© Hollywood Elsewhere 2004
Old 08-31-2005, 03:31 PM
Master Fan

Gus Van Sant? That's awesome! It could really be Charlie's big break.

Thanks for starting the new thread Anja! Hee, I love the title.

fics | vids | stupid little life
Old 08-31-2005, 08:33 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversun
Gus Van Sant? That's awesome! It could really be Charlie's big break.

Thanks for starting the new thread Anja! Hee, I love the title.
The Gus Van Sant surfing movie was a movie that was to have been film way back in 1999 it most likily did not occure or was never completed or was completed and went the way of buried and forgotton file.

However I have just learned from Zap2it that Charlie only just...

'lined up another project!!!'

So yeah!!!

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com)- Buzz from early screenings of the football thug drama "Green Street Hooligans" suggests that while Elijah Wood may be the film's biggest star, 25-year-old Charlie Hunnam gives its breakout performance.
Talking with reporters about "Hooligans," the ultra-selective young actor -- "Hooligans" is his first film since a vivid and villainous role in 2003's "Cold Mountain" -- revealed that he's just lined up his latest project.

"I spent 18 months between "Cold Mountain" and doing this movie and I just spent another 18 months and I actually just took a movie two days ago," Hunnam reveals. "I'm doing the new Alfonso Cuaron film."

Hunnam will appear in "The Children of Men" opposite Clive Owen and Julianne Moore. The actor didn't give any specific information on his role except to describe the character as outrageous and to hint at the use of dreadlocks. That may provide some assistance for fans of P.D. James' futuristic novel, set in 2021, 26 years after the last human was born. The project will likely be Cuaron's first feature since "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban."

In Hollywood, the tendency among young actors is to try to work as much as possible (regardless of the quality of the material) in order to maintain a profile and to build a body of work. Hunnam, who first attracted attention on the original British "Queer as Folk" and in the short-lived FOX comedy "Undeclared," seems to have learned an important lesson toplining 2002's adaptation of "Nicholas Nickleby."

"'Nickleby' was something that I regretted taking because I didn't feel like the director's and my visions were unified at all," he explains. "I felt like we had a completely different approach to our respective crafts and a different vision of what this film should be and I realized very quickly that in that situation, the actor's always going to lose."

Directed by Douglas McGrath, "Nickleby" picked up a Golden Globe nomination for best picture, but was subsequently ignored by the Academy and failed to make $1.5 million at the domestic box office. A supporting role opposite Katie Holmes in "Abandon" also failed to stir up excitement, though his part as an albino killer in Anthony Minghella's "Mountain" drew acclaim.

Hunnam's work in "Hooligans" is earning comparisons to a young Brad Pitt and not just because of thematic similarities to "Fight Club." In the new film, Hunnam plays the leader of the Green Street Elite, a violent "firm" of West Ham soccer supporters. Hunnam's character ushers Wood's callow Yank into a dangerous world of brawling, brotherhood and sport.

"I just have been trying to negotiate my career with absolute integrity and grace and zero compromise and only do... projects that I feel passionate about directors that I feel passionate about," he says. "And if I can't find anything, then I just don't work."

Hunnam's comedic work in "Undeclared" is now out on DVD. His grittier turn in "Hooligans" hits select theaters on Friday, Sept. 9.

IMDB

The film is set in a near future where the human race has lost its ability to reproduce, England has descended into chaos, until a strict warden, Xan Lyppiatt, is brought in to institute martial law., when a woman discovers she's pregnant, with what would be the first child in 27 years, it inspires a group of revolutionaries. The story is centered around an Oxford history professor, Theodore Faron (Clive Owen), who is Xan's cousin.

I am not sure who Hunnam will be but Xan Lyppiatt (the warden) or Rolf (the leader of the revolutionaries) may be good guesses
Old 08-31-2005, 11:43 PM
Master Fan

Eh well. But yay for the new Cuaron movie! Premise sounds interesting, too.

fics | vids | stupid little life
Old 09-01-2005, 03:55 AM
Ultimate Fan

A new Charlie movie???? And with Alfonso Cuaron??

*dances around the room*

He is a genious! I loved POA, Great Expectations and of course 'Y tu mama tambien'. I can already feel this will be an amazing project for Charlie!

Life as Mia
Old 09-01-2005, 05:31 AM
Elite Fan

That's so good to hear! The movie sounds quite interesting.

I loved the following paragraph. I'm sure there are tons of (young) actors that don't feel that way and would rather get another role in random teen movie #286.
Quote:
"I just have been trying to negotiate my career with absolute integrity and grace and zero compromise and only do... projects that I feel passionate about directors that I feel passionate about," he says. "And if I can't find anything, then I just don't work."
Old 09-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Fan

I'm with you Rythan With his good looks he could have easily made a bunch of stupid american teen movies, but he has just waited to do something he really liked and something that he really believes in. I really respect him for that. Of course I would have liked to see him in a lot more movies, but at the end of the day I prefer this much more. Because he is not just a pretty face.

Life as Mia
Old 09-04-2005, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Fan

Did everyone leave again?

Life as Mia
Old 09-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Master Fan

That's another coincidence with Heath Ledger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mia~
I'm with you Rythan With his good looks he could have easily made a bunch of stupid american teen movies, but he has just waited to do something he really liked and something that he really believes in. I really respect him for that. Of course I would have liked to see him in a lot more movies, but at the end of the day I prefer this much more. Because he is not just a pretty face.
Wow, thanks for those scans and the article!

Anja, cool title for a Charlie thread
Old 09-07-2005, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Fan

Sus!

Let's bring back to life the thread.... (AGAIN)

http://web.newsguy.com/ittamiss/pics/ch14.jpg

Life as Mia