Old 03-15-2014, 10:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

Struggle {3.15} Episode Discussion | Original Air Date March 16, 2014

Struggle {3.15} - Episode Discussion

Sunday, March, 16 10/9c on ABC

r e v e n g e

EMILY'S BLACKOUTS THREATEN HER FRIENDS, HER MISSION AND HER LIFE,
ON ABC’S “REVENGE”

“Struggle” – As Emily's blackouts grow increasingly violent, her only hope lies with the person she betrayed most, while Victoria makes a drastic move to deal with someone from her past, on “Revenge,” SUNDAY, MARCH 16 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

“Revenge” stars Emily VanCamp as Emily Thorne, Madeleine Stowe as Victoria Grayson, Henry Czerny as Conrad Grayson, Josh Bowman as Daniel Grayson, Nick Wechsler as Jack Porter, Gabriel Mann as Nolan Ross, Christa B. Allen as Charlotte Clarke and Barry Sloane as Aiden Mathis.

Guest cast includes Justin Hartley as Patrick Osbourne, Gail O’Grady as Stevie Grayson, and James Tupper as David Clarke.

“Struggle” was written by Michael J. Cinquemani, and directed by Chris Misiano.

“Revenge” is broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC’s selected HDTV format, with 5.1 channel surround sound. A TV parental guideline will be assigned closer to airdate.

For more information on “Revenge,” visit ABC.com/Revenge.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Supreme Fan

Looking forward to this episode as usual!
TV shows that I love: Gilmore Girls | Grey's Anatomy | Veronica Mars | Charmed | The Crown | Game of Thrones | Killing Eve | Damages | The Good Wife/The Good Fight | His Dark Materials | Homeland | Brothers & Sisters | The Resident | Everwood | Person of Interest | Fringe | Parenthood | Revenge | Big Little Lies| One Chicago | Everwood | Bones | Big Bang Theory | Marvelous Mrs Maisel | The Good Place | & More.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:36 PM
Supreme Fan

tftnt!!!

Can't wait to see the David Clarke flashbacks!
It was a Perfect Illusion
Old 03-16-2014, 11:13 AM
Supreme Fan

TONIGHT!!

Old 03-16-2014, 07:46 PM
Master Fan

I...am losing my patience with this show. This storyline screwed things up, there are tons of loopholes and Emily is floundering. The only good thing so far is Stevie and even Marguax has less to do with her magazine being hi-jacked.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:16 PM
Part-Time Fan

Oh I am so glad Emily's memory loss episodes are gone (seems like it - thanks to Aiden - wow, I never thought I will be thankful for him! )
It took authors too long to get they were loosing fans.

I had a lot of expectations for Steve Greyson, but seing her crying (after Jack lest her room) and learning about her alcohol addiction. I thought she will be a great additiong to Emily's team, but not any longer and I actually think she will hurt Emily somehow. I still have no clue why Conrad wanted Steve there... I suspect something will happen to Steve...

It was nice to see Emily and Jack together. I liked no Margo around! This story about Margo and her magazine seems unnecessary to me and everything looks good without it at all.

Yay for Patrick departure!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY HE IS GONE!!! I hated to see Victoria "working" with Nolan though.

Looking forward for next week episode. I am so GLAD we have our Emily back!!!
Old 03-16-2014, 08:25 PM
Supreme Fan

I hope the blackouts are over. They need to be. As much as I dislike Aiden, I am glad he "fixed" her.

I am so pissed that blackout!Emily ruined the infinity carving!

Victoria continues to make me feel for her. That phone message Patrick left her Interested to see what she has in plan for Stevie.

I liked Patrick, but understood it was time for him to go. I really enjoyed the Nolan/Victoria scenes, especially when they had their wine moment.

I loved that Nolan made her a new box!

I have some feeling that Emily is going to get into a fight with Jack over Stevie and they won't talk for a while - because she is going to try and get as much info out of her. I hope I am wrong about that though.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:57 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmenow (View Post)
I hope the blackouts are over. They need to be. As much as I dislike Aiden, I am glad he "fixed" her.

I am so pissed that blackout!Emily ruined the infinity carving!

Victoria continues to make me feel for her. That phone message Patrick left her Interested to see what she has in plan for Stevie.

I liked Patrick, but understood it was time for him to go. I really enjoyed the Nolan/Victoria scenes, especially when they had their wine moment.

I loved that Nolan made her a new box!

I have some feeling that Emily is going to get into a fight with Jack over Stevie and they won't talk for a while - because she is going to try and get as much info out of her. I hope I am wrong about that though.
The only reason I could handle Patrick's presence is b/c I love Justin Hartley.

I feel bad for Victoria, but that trope is overused in this genre.

I'm still confused by why they wanted to show David a the bad guy.

Nolan actually speaking to Victoria was a miracle.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:23 PM
Loyal Fan

Definitely an improvement over last week's episode, though I still had a few issues. First, the negatives (because I want to end on a positive note) :

* I know I could be accused of letting my Aiden-hate cloud my judgment on this, but I really couldn't stand his rough treatment of Emily -- yanking her out from under the bed, tying her up, dunking her head in the water even though she was begging him not to...and whatever he did off-screen to knock her out before they got to the warehouse (hitting her on the head? drugging her?). Yeah, yeah, it worked (more on that below), and yeah he was angry, and yeah she was about to do something stupid, but it still made me cringe.

* Now, about the blackouts -- I've been pretty vocal about how I wanted them wrapped up as soon as possible, but the way they've been handled just looks kind of sloppy or like the writers didn't know what they were going to do. First it looked like she was blacking out because of the head trauma she sustained. Then they dropped the hint last episode that she might have her mother's illness. And now it's just...over? Because Aiden dunked her head in the water a few times? Don't get me wrong, I'm so glad it's over. I just don't understand why it was done in the first place, because the explanation (more on that below) just isn't that satisfactory.

* So if I'm understanding this correctly, Emily starting blacking out because she subconsciously blamed her father for his involvement with Victoria. But why is she just now upset about this? She's known about their affair for years. Are we just supposed to assume that her marriage to Daniel made her snap and blame David in a way she didn't before?

* And why did Aiden dunking her head in the water bring all of that rushing back? If I'm remembering S2 correctly, Takeda's drowning exercise was tied to Emily's mom trying to drown her. So why did Aiden think that was the way to go again? Did Takeda just try drowning Emily all the time for all sorts of "training" reasons and it was just coincidence that her mom once tried to drown her? Or was the "drowning" this time supposed to be tied to the watery beach/rain setting of her David memory? But Aiden wouldn't have known about that. Ugh. I guess I'll just try to ignore it and move on.

* And I hate that the infinity carving is ruined now. Couldn't Emily have come to right when she was about to deface it? I guess it wouldn't have had quite the same dramatic impact, but it still would have unnerved her.

* I'm not really a Margaux fan, but it felt very strange to have Conrad and Charlotte discussing Pascal coming into town in an episode where Margaux didn't even appear. I vaguely remember some clashing between Conrad/Margaux last episode (I think), so that must be what Charlotte was referring to. But the explanation felt clunky.

Okay, the positives:

* EMILY AND JACK! TOGETHER! ON THE PORCH! AND THEN ON THE PHONE! I had a feeling they'd finally share screen-time this episode, and I'm so happy I was right.

* The Nolan/Victoria team-up was a really interesting twist. Patrick/Nolan bored me a little at times, but GM sold me on Nolan still caring for Patrick despite everything (though that line about "accident" being a euphemism for "Patrick did it" was hilarious). And it was nice to see Victoria do the right thing, even if caused her pain -- and that she went to Nolan for help in spite of their history.

* EMILY AND JACK! Oh, sorry, I already mentioned that.

* I really like the way this Stevie/Jack story is developing. It occurred to me during this episode that the writers have taken so much away from Jack that it's really nice that he's getting someone back. I like Stevie, I do believe she's genuine, and I really love that Jack is giving her a chance. And NW and GO were just great in their scenes.

* I'm cautiously optimistic about the Stevie/David twist. I didn't see it coming and I'm curious about where it's going.

* Love the new infinity box.

* I'm glad Emily is back at the beach house.

* I'm also glad that it looks like Emily/Aiden are finally winding down. Aiden's line about David falling for the wrong woman, coupled with his pointed look at Emily, kind of said it all -- Emily is the wrong woman for Aiden, and I think he's finally started accepting that. Because I also didn't get the sense from BS's performance tonight that Aiden still wants her in a romantic way. He just seems done to me, just as he told Nolan. He wants her to get her revenge, he wants her to find closure and happiness, but he seems to have given up on that being with him.

It also seems quite telling to me that shortly after the last Emily/Aiden scene we had Jack on Emily's porch seeking her advice, opening up to her, taking her hand in his, and then her thanking him for giving her another chance.

I can't wait for next week.

Last edited by northboundtrain; 03-16-2014 at 09:38 PM
Old 03-16-2014, 09:27 PM
Master Fan

I'm worried, now that Daniel saw that picture. Emily has screwed up one too many times this season and it's painful to watch.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:30 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by northboundtrain (View Post)
* Now, about the blackouts -- I've been pretty vocal about how I wanted them wrapped up as soon as possible, but the way they've been handled just looks kind of sloppy or like the writers didn't know what they were going to do. First it looked like she was blacking out because of the head trauma she sustained. Then they dropped the hint last episode that she might have her mother's illness. And now it's just...over? Because Aiden dunked her head in the water a few times? Don't get me wrong, I'm so glad it's over. I just don't understand why it was done in the first place, because the explanation (more on that below) just isn't that satisfactory.

* So if I'm understanding this correctly, Emily starting blacking out because she subconsciously blamed her father for his involvement with Victoria. But why is she just now upset about this? She's known about their affair for years. Are we just supposed to assume that her marriage to Daniel made her snap and blame David in a way she didn't before?

* And why did Aiden dunking her head in the water bring all of that rushing back? If I'm remembering S2 correctly, Takeda's drowning exercise was tied to Emily's mom trying to drown her. So why did Aiden think that was the way to go again? Did Takeda just try drowning Emily all the time for all sorts of "training" reasons and it was just coincidence that her mom once tried to drown her? Or was the "drowning" this time supposed to be tied to the watery beach/rain setting of her David memory? But Aiden wouldn't have known about that. Ugh. I guess I'll just try to ignore it and move on.
I agree. I'm really glad that it's over, but the explanation behind them and how Emily got rid of them was just a bit.. stupid.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:20 AM
Dedicated Fan

Great ep, such a bittersweet exit for patrick! He realised that being around his mother is poisonous. Glad that Emily has finally gotten over her fits! It seems Aiden has redeemed himself too, I thought they were going down a 'dark' root with him, next week looks epic!
Old 03-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Supreme Fan

One of the better episodes of the season.

- Patrick's exit was handled pretty well. He started out as a nice character and I rooted hard for him and Nolan, but after everything he's done I am kind of glad he's gone now. Victoria and Nolan drinking for him was a nice scene though. Maybe he'll return one day, a changed man, worthy of Nolan? I hope so. They share chemistry.

- Emily's black outs are finally over and we got a reason. Not really happy with the reason, because it seems really simple, but I'm just glad we got an answer. A mind can work in mysterious ways, so it could be true. Glad that Emily is changing for the better again.

- Emily's scenes with Nolan were nice. Him giving her a new box, so cute! <3

- Jack and Emily scenes...finally! About time. I am not hoping that Emily will ruin Jack's connection with his mother now that Emily knows Stevie visited her dad. I don't think Stevie has any bad secrets. She's a nice character to me imo. Her scenes with Jack were nice!

- I didn't even hate Aiden this episode. He handled Emily in a strong way, but that's what she needed. I actually saw some minimal chemistry when he comforted her when the truth came out.
TV shows that I love: Gilmore Girls | Grey's Anatomy | Veronica Mars | Charmed | The Crown | Game of Thrones | Killing Eve | Damages | The Good Wife/The Good Fight | His Dark Materials | Homeland | Brothers & Sisters | The Resident | Everwood | Person of Interest | Fringe | Parenthood | Revenge | Big Little Lies| One Chicago | Everwood | Bones | Big Bang Theory | Marvelous Mrs Maisel | The Good Place | & More.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:01 PM
Master Fan

I didn't watch the whole thing, but I just have to say that I don't like these blackouts Emily is having. I also don't like Aiden being back in the picture.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:07 AM
Part-Time Fan

Funny old episode, it felt slow and a bit of a filler but it was kind of a re-set....bye bye Patrick, Emily back from her blackouts, and Stevie & Jack tentatively trying to connect.

I loved the Emily & Aiden scenes - he showed tough love, but it was needed and she understood that he was the ONLY one that knew what was needed. Confirmation again that these two have a deep connection and understanding through shared experiences as adults. However, it was a bitter sweet parting, as he was resigned to her journey continuing and he felt he could no longer be around - time was not right for them, would it ever?

Nolan hooking up with Vic was a bit odd - I mean she's Ems sworn enemy. But the writers wanted to tidy things up, so we'll move swiftly on.

Em back to the beach house and Nolan giving her e new Infinity box - now this really did feel like 'and off we go again'.

I hope it's not another merry dance of more extraneous characters that hang around for a few episodes and just seem to fill much valued screen time. Pascal and Nolan's new housemate Javier are not welcome new arrivals for me, but the former will bolster Victoria's and Margauxs story line.

So what secrets does Stevie have? Is Carl really the daddy and does she know more about David Clarke and his involvement with flight 197?

Finally a good read, how the writers have got things wrong this season.
Revenge "Struggle" Review: Trimming the Fat - Revenge Community - TV.com

I agree.