Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-12-2017, 12:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Possible Board Closure Discussion: Please Read and Respond

Possible Board Closure Discussion: Please Read and Respond!

Amy and I have been discussing this, and we think that it may be time to close this board. Our post counts have been declining over the past few months and we have very few regular posters. As you know, Fan Forum requires that we average at least 15 posts per day, with lower numbers than that leading to warnings and then possible closure of the board. We would prefer to go out under our own terms rather than be forced to close due to low post counts.

Please let us know what you think. We'd be glad to hear any suggestions or advice to renew interest here. Remember that to keep the board going, we need the commitment of a few regular, dedicated posters. As much as we love this board, please don't just post to "save" the board and then disappear again, because we'll be in the same position that we're in now if you do.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think this might be a good decision

I came in here to save the board so I'd be able to discuss the last season.
But with this last season, my interest has completely faded

I've loved posting with you guys though This was a great board and atmosphere to post on!

Last edited by girl under the floor; 04-12-2017 at 01:32 PM
Old 04-12-2017, 01:36 PM
Dedicated Fan

I agree. I've only been around for the last few months and I've really enjoyed posting here, but I don't think I'll be re-watching the series and I don't feel like there would be much to discuss. Maybe I'll see some of you on other boards.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:44 PM
Master Fan

That's the way I'm feeling, too. It feels like the right decision!

I've loved every discussion here, and I really do hope I see all of you on other boards in the future. If anyone ever wants to chat about anything, just send me a message. I'm here!
Old 04-12-2017, 08:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

I am sorry to see the board go, but I get it. I loved that I found this board and I wish I had of started when the show first aired. I hope to see you guys around you are a friendly bunch .
Emily
Old 04-12-2017, 08:39 PM
Supreme Fan

I will be sorry to see the board go, but since the interest was waning in the show for a while and the show is now over, it makes sense. Given the whisper the show ended on, I can't see many people willing to do a re-watch. The first season of the show was undoubtedly the best with the strongest writing. Just seems LW lost interest in each season and just let it go with a shrug by the time the show was cancelled.

I hope to see everybody around here on in other fandoms. Best wishes to all of you.

Amy, I'm so sorry you were disappointed. You were one of the biggest believers and supporters of Bay/Emmett and I know that you were let down. I thought of you when the credits rolled. I realized that my interest had decreased in the show so much that I was watching the finale out of curiosity, and not of interest. I just wanted to see how they would end it. Less about being glad that Bay ended up with Travis at the end, but more like I was relieved that the show couldn't be messed up anymore.

Sad when you reach that point on a show, but it was done to the fandom.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 04-13-2017, 03:53 AM
Part-Time Fan

I loved the first few seasons of the show but the last one was awful, in my opinion. I won't be posting here and I think it's a good decision to close the board. I don't know why the show ended up being so hard to enjoy, did something happen (new writers brought in or something)?

Harry Potter ~ The Lord of the Rings ~ Costume Dramas ~ Disney ~
Old 04-13-2017, 05:53 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barstool Prophet (View Post)
I am sorry to see the board go, but I get it. I loved that I found this board and I wish I had of started when the show first aired. I hope to see you guys around you are a friendly bunch .
Aw, thank you for that!

I'm going to post a few more things today and this week, so I hope you'll check back.

I've loved this board, too. I'm going to miss it. I hope to see people around the forum in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes&FredFan (View Post)
I will be sorry to see the board go, but since the interest was waning in the show for a while and the show is now over, it makes sense. Given the whisper the show ended on, I can't see many people willing to do a re-watch. The first season of the show was undoubtedly the best with the strongest writing. Just seems LW lost interest in each season and just let it go with a shrug by the time the show was cancelled.
The writing for the first 23 episodes WAS so good! Best television I have ever seen. I have no idea what happened, but everything changed after episode 23 "This Is the Color of My Dreams." Ironically, that was the first episode I ever watched on live TV, and the last seven episodes of Season 1 did not live up to the first 23. Nothing was really the same after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes&FredFan (View Post)
I hope to see everybody around here on in other fandoms. Best wishes to all of you.

Amy, I'm so sorry you were disappointed. You were one of the biggest believers and supporters of Bay/Emmett and I know that you were let down. I thought of you when the credits rolled. I realized that my interest had decreased in the show so much that I was watching the finale out of curiosity, and not of interest. I just wanted to see how they would end it. Less about being glad that Bay ended up with Travis at the end, but more like I was relieved that the show couldn't be messed up anymore.

Sad when you reach that point on a show, but it was done to the fandom.
Thank you, Donna! That means a lot to me.

I watched the finale more out of curiosity than I watched it out of interest, too. When we received word that the series would not be returning for more than 15 months, I remember thinking, "What if something happens and I die before then? I have to know how things turn out for Bay & Emmett. I cannot leave this earth and not know." But none of the other stories were resonating with me.

I like John & Kathryn, but I knew that they would be okay, even if they separated. I lost my connection to Toby. He needed to continue making music and not spinning the discs, for me to be interested in his story. And Regina and Daphne I began to actively dislike after Episode 23. In the beginning, they both seemed bristly to me, but I saw sincerity in their heart. I could not find that honesty in their characters after Episode 23. They became two-dimensional to me.

But I still cared about and loved Bay & Emmett, both as a couple and as individuals. I was interested in their story. I missed the days when I cared about all of the characters in that way. I wish the writers at Switched at Birth found a way to recapture that. I know that they are capable, because I cared about the characters in their special episode "Occupy Truth" this season. The writers needed to find the honesty of their core characters, in the way that they did for the guest stars in that one episode.

Season after season, the stories for Daphne, John, Kathryn, Regina, and Toby felt trite. That's sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Rose Scarlett (View Post)
I loved the first few seasons of the show but the last one was awful, in my opinion. I won't be posting here and I think it's a good decision to close the board. I don't know why the show ended up being so hard to enjoy, did something happen (new writers brought in or something)?
IT DID! You hit the nail on the head. The story was depressing, rather than uplifting. The characters were almost impossible to like. The characters treated each other horribly. I found myself wondering if that WAS the ultimate message from the writers: "human beings are awful creatures." I suppose it's true in some ways, but what an awful message to send out into the world year after year.

Plus, people like to make connections when they watch or listen to a story, and the writers of Switched at Birth had a habit of negating every message that viewers could discern. Whenever I tried to hold onto some thread, some pearl of possible wisdom, the writers immediately yanked it out of my grasp.

It became so frustrating that I started researching if other writers do that. I came across information on Immanuel Kant. He was a German philosopher who was noted for the magnitude of "his destructive, world-crushing thoughts" and considered as a sort of philosophical "executioner." Yep, that's Switched at Birth!

The show did become hard to enjoy. I have a high threshold for pain, but Switched at Birth exceeded my limits and NOT in a cathartic way.

When I first stumbled upon the series in August of 2012, I remember binge-watching the first 22 episodes and thinking, "These writers have wisdom, knowledge, and insight about life that I desperately need. This story is such a gem." And then, week after week, year after year, it became more difficult, and finally impossible, to discern any of that. Rather than a writer dropping breadcrumbs to lead viewers to sudden epiphanies, the writers began dumping out their whole bag of tricks and saying, "See if you can find something meaningful in this mess." I kept searching until the end, but I couldn't find a worthwhile message. Then, at the very end, it felt as though the writers slapped a bumper sticker maxim on the pile of mess that they'd dumped out, and said, "There, you go!"

Switched at Birth ended up being superficial, whereas it appeared to have depth in the beginning. That makes me sad.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:52 AM
Elite Fan

Figured I'd pipe in.

I think it's a good idea to let the board go as well. There's always the TV forum where people can start an SAB thread.

It's bittersweet for me, even though I haven't moderated the board for well over a year, I was here with it since 1B aired, and it was a lot of fun discussing the show and couples and just being silly when we had nothing to discuss.

I have a lot of fond memories from the board, but I know how difficult it was at first for Heather and I and then Amy and I to keep the board alive and that's when the show was still airing.

After I left, Amy did a wonderful job attempting to keep the board afloat despite the dwindling audience. I think that's really what did it in. If you have a show that sticks to its core and doesn't travel too far away from its original premise, then I think you have a good chance at keeping a loyal fanbase who will want to discuss it even long after it's over.

However, the show failed at many, many points. I don't think it's any secret that I was a huge Bemmett shipper (Or maybe it was? I think I kept my preferences hidden well! totally kidding) and yeah, that was a hugely disappointing ending for me, but beyond that, the show stopped being enjoyable long before this. They were a symptom of a much larger problem with the show.

I think LW and Co stopped writing for their [main] characters and started writing instead for guest stars and the next topical issue.

Bringing awareness to issues is important, but it provides less of a emotional connection when it's done sacrificing characters and their integrities.

Anyway, sorry for the length. I just wanted to say that yes, I think saying goodbye to the board is a good idea. I'm sure we'll all see each other around.

Amy-again, you did a great job here, and I have tons of respect for you as my former co-mod and a fellow fan and poster.

I'm sorry I couldn't be around more to help, but the show left me depressed quite frankly.

AnastasiaGrey- I'm sorry! I forgot your name! I think you did a fine job holding up the board with Amy.

To others who came here after I left, I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to know you and post with you, but you all seem really cool!

Donna-I hope to see you around as well!

From the bottom of my heart, thank you SAB board, and goodbye.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S (View Post)
I can see why you are disappointed. Basically, you must feel like all of that work was for nothing.
Thanks, John!

It was a disappointing ending to the series, but my work here was a labor of love. Bay & Emmett mean a lot to me, and I could discuss their story for the rest of my life and never grow bored with it. I adore them.

Tiana has been my rock on this board, and I appreciate her support. I could not have kept the board alive without all of you. Thank you for that. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfan714 (View Post)
Figured I'd pipe in.

I think it's a good idea to let the board go as well. There's always the TV forum where people can start an SAB thread.

It's bittersweet for me, even though I haven't moderated the board for well over a year, I was here with it since 1B aired, and it was a lot of fun discussing the show and couples and just being silly when we had nothing to discuss.

I have a lot of fond memories from the board, but I know how difficult it was at first for Heather and I and then Amy and I to keep the board alive and that's when the show was still airing.

After I left, Amy did a wonderful job attempting to keep the board afloat despite the dwindling audience. I think that's really what did it in. If you have a show that sticks to its core and doesn't travel too far away from its original premise, then I think you have a good chance at keeping a loyal fanbase who will want to discuss it even long after it's over.

However, the show failed at many, many points. I don't think it's any secret that I was a huge Bemmett shipper (Or maybe it was? I think I kept my preferences hidden well! totally kidding) and yeah, that was a hugely disappointing ending for me, but beyond that, the show stopped being enjoyable long before this. They were a symptom of a much larger problem with the show.

I think LW and Co stopped writing for their [main] characters and started writing instead for guest stars and the next topical issue.

Bringing awareness to issues is important, but it provides less of a emotional connection when it's done sacrificing characters and their integrities.

Anyway, sorry for the length. I just wanted to say that yes, I think saying goodbye to the board is a good idea. I'm sure we'll all see each other around.

Amy-again, you did a great job here, and I have tons of respect for you as my former co-mod and a fellow fan and poster.

I'm sorry I couldn't be around more to help, but the show left me depressed quite frankly.

AnastasiaGrey- I'm sorry! I forgot your name! I think you did a fine job holding up the board with Amy.

To others who came here after I left, I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to know you and post with you, but you all seem really cool!

Donna-I hope to see you around as well!

From the bottom of my heart, thank you SAB board, and goodbye.
Thank you, Alyssa! I will always think of you as the heart of this board. My first year participating (August 2012 to August 2013) was such an exciting experience. I owe that to you. You made things fun.

Everything changed with the beginning of Season 3-A. In that moment, Switched at Birth lost its depth and its warmth. It became shallow. At the end of Season 2-B, Becky Hartman Edwards had left her writing position, and I suspect that is why the show changed.

Hartman-Edwards had been brought on by the network in the very beginning as a mentor for Lizzy Weiss, and she had been the glue that held it all together. I still remember Sean Berdy's interview when Season 3 premiered. The interviewer asked him what surprised him the most about the upcoming season, and he said three or four times, "I am surprise by how quiet Emmett is this season. I wasn't expecting that." He kept saying it. He seemed depressed.

I remember he added in the words, "It's good writing though. It's a good season." But it wasn't. Season 3-A was an awful season. It fell flatter than a pancake. It was just so, so bad. At least at the end of Season 3-A, Bay & Emmett finally made love. That moment felt honest.

You hit the nail on the head, Alyssa, when you said that Lizzy Weiss sacrificed the integrity of her characters. She did. They stopped feeling authentic after Season 2. Most of the writing staff left during Season 4, so the last season was mostly new writers. The show became hugely depressing in Seasons 3 and 4. It was serious subject matter, and it was being covered glibly. Without the depth that the topics truly required, it sucked the life out of me, as I watched each episode.

In Seasons 3 and 4, Lizzy Weiss did this weird thing with her story. She chose to have characters make these huge sacrifices for others, sacrifices that caused them great harm. But these characters made their sacrifices for shallow reasons, and then, instead of the ultimate message to viewers being something deep and meaningful, something with weight, something like, "Look at how human beings harm themselves," Lizzy Weiss's message to viewers appeared to be flippant.

Her message was something like, "Isn't it nice that this character made such a huge sacrifice for no important reason? Let's ignore the pain and suffering, so we can focus on the fact that these two characters are friends now!" And it was sick. It was gratuitous. No return was ever extracted for these huge self-sacrifices, and they had done great harm to the giver.

No moments of self-doubt or regret were ever displayed by the character making the sacrifice, which rings disingenuous to me. This self-harm inflicted was presented to viewers, as a beautiful, noble gift, when it had not even been necessary and the character making the sacrifice had never even explored the wisdom of it.

It pained me to see characters harm themselves without the character or the audience ever exploring the reasons behind it. Self-harm is too serious of a topic to be treated so lightly by the writers.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

Dp

Last edited by ~AnastasiaGrey~; 04-15-2017 at 07:22 PM
Old 04-13-2017, 04:08 PM
Administrator

That remark was mean-spirited, uncalled for and untrue, and it's been edited out.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy