Old 03-27-2017, 03:52 PM
Master Fan

#508 "Left in Charge" ~ Episode Discussion

Episode Title:

Left in Charge

Air Date:

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Synopsis:

Needing to pay their electric bill, Bay and Daphne throw a "lights on" party at their apartment above the Cracked Mug, but things go awry when Toby overhears two students making disability jokes.

Toby and Bay's high school frenemy Simone turns up looking glamorous and successful.

Meanwhile, as Daphne and Chris get to know each other better, she starts to suspect that he's hiding a big secret.

Kathryn and Regina do some old-school snooping on Luca after Regina sees a questionable text on his phone.

Director: Dawn Wilkinson

Writer: Liz Sczudlo
Old 03-28-2017, 07:35 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'm truly disappointed in the writing of this show. A big reason I pulled back from the show. Seems like Bay really took a bad turn by not pursuing the college thing. It was cool seeing Simone again, I felt like it was the old show again. Instead of these pointless filler story lines.. Sick of LW
Old 03-28-2017, 08:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailpolishchick2 (View Post)
I'm truly disappointed in the writing of this show. A big reason I pulled back from the show. Seems like Bay really took a bad turn by not pursuing the college thing. It was cool seeing Simone again, I felt like it was the old show again. Instead of these pointless filler story lines.. Sick of LW
Yeah I honestly think she just doesnt even care not forawhile anyway
Old 03-29-2017, 12:00 PM
New Fan

I liked the part of the episode about Toby and Carlton, and the Toby/Bay interaction (although I wish there had been more of it). The whole Bay/Simone storyline also seemed pretty realistic in terms of the competitiveness and each person trying to make it seem like they have a glamorous life. I think that happens a lot when former school friends meet up as adults.

I'm annoyed that Bay had to take responsibility for the bills and Daphne was let off the hook by everyone. What do you guys think - was that fair? I'm not sure because I can't separate this episode from my general frustration with Daphne for the fact that Bay took the fall for her, but... it feels like, if both Bay and Daphne are living in the apartment, shouldn't both of them share the responsibility for the bills? Just because Daphne goes to school, it doesn't mean she doesn't have living expenses, right? So if she doesn't have a scholarship or a job to cover those things, then her parents should be helping her, right? I mean, if she lived in a dorm, they would be paying for that - so then they should be helping her pay for the electric bill. But also, I'm not sure it's fair that because Bay isn't going to college, she has forfeited her parents' help. She did try to go to college and wasn't admitted, and then the whole felony fiasco happened... I'm not sure it's fair to say she had a choice, and since she chose not to go to college, then the expenses are her own problem.

That said, I also didn't buy that Bay would be that oblivious ("We have an electric bill?") considering that she spent 10 months in China where, presumably, she did have to pay her bills together with Daphne. And of course, we all knew what was going to happen the minute she let the party invade the Cracked Mug. This is one of those things where it seems the writers are treading water with the characters' growth, but at least, we did see a bit of growth for Bay at the end of the episode.

As for the rest of the episode, I was annoyed with Daphne falling into her doubly cliche role of (1) spotting something medical (Chris's bruises) and (2) "saving" someone and trying to do the right thing. We've seen this story play out so many times already, and it's boring.

It was nice to see Bay and Travis seem to be happy and on the same wavelength, and I always like to see Bay signing without talking, because she becomes a lot more expressive with her face - so it was nice to see her and Daphne signing behind Chris's back.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:16 PM
Supreme Fan

Actually, I was glad that John told Bay that the "bank of Kennish" had closed. The toughest thing for a parent is to tell a kid to figure it out on their own, which Bay did. Of course, we all know that it was just a plot device so that Bay would throw a party and things would end up in catastrophe. Bay was raised with having her parents' money at her beck and call and no doubt took that for granted, that it would always be there. Daphne is involved in an internship, which is unpaid. All John is paying for are her books. Bay is living in the apartment rent-free, courtesy of Regina (which Regina reminded her of). There might be a missing scene there. All Bay would have would be utilities. For her to say "I didn't know I had a power bill" is reckless. There would have been bills coming to the house. She knew she had to pay Noelle for a chair and pay for her supplies, so she made sure that happened. She went to every adult for money, which is the kid's way to do things. Yet she lived in China paying for stuff on her own, without her parents' money. She knows how to survive. Just like when Regina told her that she herself struggled first, and then learned from it, they're trying to let Bay grow up. Which I'm glad for. I'm glad that they are showing Bay that she CAN do it ... and sometimes when the need is there, you creatively figure out how to get it done.

Slowly, we're seeing that everybody is growing up. Toby is married with a baby. He's learned responsibility. Travis learned that when he made the choice to go away for 10 months to stay in China with Bay, his baseball game suffered so he had to work twice as hard to get back in shape. The baseball team went on without him, and they found a hot pitcher that's tough competition. Daphne learned that she came back late in the game regarding college classes. So all of the kids are growing up and becoming adults. Bay watched her childhood drive off, saw a teen girl drive off in the car her dad bought her. But she will come out of it with, as John explained, the knowledge that she herself can pay her bills. There's a power in that. A feeling of accomplishment. But just the same, Simone should have been made to pay some of the money for the damage to The Cracked Mug. She can definitely afford it.

The writing this season has been bad, but I did like that the girls are growing up.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 04-01-2017, 03:31 AM
Part-Time Fan

Whatever happened to Daphne's car? Does she still have it?
Old 04-01-2017, 08:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S (View Post)
Whatever happened to Daphne's car? Does she still have it?
I thought she did
Old 04-02-2017, 05:11 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AnastasiaGrey~ (View Post)
I thought she did
If Bay was forced to give up her car, then why wasn't Daphne?
Old 04-02-2017, 11:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

I am a broken record, but if they are paying for Daphne's school, they should give Bay something too. I hated that they went down this route. I hope Regina and Bay have a scene where they make up.
Emily
Old 04-03-2017, 01:37 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barstool Prophet (View Post)
I am a broken record, but if they are paying for Daphne's school, they should give Bay something too. I hated that they went down this route. I hope Regina and Bay have a scene where they make up.
The weird thing is that I don't even think the writers feel as though Regina and Bay are on "the outs" with each other. Regina fussed that Bay broke the mugs. Bay sold her car to pay her bills and repay Regina for the damages to The Cracked Mug. In the writers' minds, everything seems to be good now. They've made up and moved on, according to the vibe I'm getting.

My guess is Daphne still has her car, although she might have sold it off screen when she first went away to college. She was intent on attending Gallaudet in Washington D.C. (and she was going to take an airplane to get there), right up until the day before she was supposed to leave. So perhaps Daphne had sold her car when she was going to be leaving and that is why she decided to live on campus at UMKC in Season 4, so she would not need to commute.

Didn't Bay say something about Regina's coffee house being super close to UMKC so that Daphne could live with her above The Cracked Mug, instead of living with J & K or Regina?

As for John making Bay take responsibility, I'd like that scene a WHOLE lot more, if he made Daphne and Toby do that, too. As it plays out on screen, all of the parents (and Bay herself) seem to accept that Bay is the impetuous child, while Daphne and Toby are the more adult of the siblings.

I don't buy it. Toby just confessed to Lily that he is STILL gambling and has to move back home to live with his parents so his wife can return to work. They still accept the gift of free babysitting services and a discount on living expenses, so he can repay his gambling debts. Daphne is still doing poorly in college and needing to retake classes (like chemistry). She ran off to China for a year and returns to see that many classes are already filled, and I don't see her studying, ever. Instead, she is making out with guys and partying.

Last edited by ollibear; 04-03-2017 at 01:43 AM
Old 04-03-2017, 01:08 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barstool Prophet (View Post)
I am a broken record, but if they are paying for Daphne's school, they should give Bay something too. I hated that they went down this route.
I agree 100%.

I can't believe John said that Bay chose not to go to college. She wanted to go, but didn't get accepted initially. Then, when Daphne chose to go to UMKC at the last minute, Bay was under house arrest for Daphne's crime - it's not like she could have chosen to go too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear
As for John making Bay take responsibility, I'd like that scene a WHOLE lot more, if he made Daphne and Toby do that, too. As it plays out on screen, all of the parents (and Bay herself) seem to accept that Bay is the impetuous child, while Daphne and Toby are the more adult of the siblings.

I don't buy it. Toby just confessed to Lily that he is STILL gambling and has to move back home to live with his parents so his wife can return to work. They still accept the gift of free babysitting services and a discount on living expenses, so he can repay his gambling debts. Daphne is still doing poorly in college and needing to retake classes (like chemistry). She ran off to China for a year and returns to see that many classes are already filled, and I don't see her studying, ever. Instead, she is making out with guys and partying.
You put this so much better than I did, but this is exactly what's been bothering me. Bay and everyone else are acting like Bay is the immature problem child, as usual. Meanwhile, everyone is getting help from the parents in some form, and is going to continue to do so. True, Bay is getting to live rent-free in the apartment above the Cracked Mug. But so is Daphne! Except it looks like the only one responsible for the bills is Bay for some reason, even though they are both using the electricity.

Also, Regina is coming off as a huge hypocrite, because hasn't she herself been living rent-free in the Kennishes' guest house for what, five years now?
Old 04-04-2017, 05:19 AM
Part-Time Fan

In my opinion, Bay's problem is that she has NEVER put her foot down. She, alone, was responsible for keeping Daphne out of jail. She, alone, was the reason why Daphne is able to pursue her goal of becoming a doctor. SHE had to sell her car to pay the bills. SHE had to forfeit her chance of becoming an artist. Taking the fall was even the cause of the breakup with her boyfriend.
Bay did all of these things and has gotten NOTHING in return.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
In my opinion, Bay's problem is that she has NEVER put her foot down. She, alone, was responsible for keeping Daphne out of jail. She, alone, was the reason why Daphne is able to pursue her goal of becoming a doctor. SHE had to sell her car to pay the bills. SHE had to forfeit her chance of becoming an artist. Taking the fall was even the cause of the breakup with her boyfriend.
Yeah pretty much
Old 04-07-2017, 02:42 PM
Dedicated Fan

I just got to watch this episode.

Quote:
I agree with all of this.

It is ridiculous that Bay is responsible for all of the bills just because Daphne is going to school. Lots of people work and go to school. And if her classes are so difficult that she couldn't realistically work full time and go to school, she could pick up shifts at the Cracked Mug on weekends. She should be contributing something. If she can't do that, then she's not ready to be out on her own. She should move back to the dorm. I just about cried when Bay had to sell her car. I felt so bad for her.

I never really liked Simone, but it was a nice throwback to earlier seasons to have her back just for one episode and to see the rivalry between she and Bay flare up again. Just goes to show money and success do not always equal happiness.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by charming_essa (View Post)
I just got to watch this episode.

I agree with all of this.

It is ridiculous that Bay is responsible for all of the bills just because Daphne is going to school. Lots of people work and go to school. And if her classes are so difficult that she couldn't realistically work full time and go to school, she could pick up shifts at the Cracked Mug on weekends. She should be contributing something. If she can't do that, then she's not ready to be out on her own. She should move back to the dorm. I just about cried when Bay had to sell her car. I felt so bad for her.

I never really liked Simone, but it was a nice throwback to earlier seasons to have her back just for one episode and to see the rivalry between she and Bay flare up again. Just goes to show money and success do not always equal happiness.
Yeah pretty much