Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Zachary Levi

Donna
Old 11-21-2015, 07:31 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Matt Czuchry

She looks so good standing behind that bar. Very sexy.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:55 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Zachary Levi

She does.

Donna
Old 11-25-2015, 08:24 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Zachary Levi

https://amp.twimg.com/v/83104ec0-8da...4-e32d9514a92b

Donna
Old 11-27-2015, 06:41 PM
Fan Forum Star

Gorgeous.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Zachary Levi

Donna
Old 12-03-2015, 10:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

love those!
add me?
Old 12-04-2015, 05:08 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Zachary Levi

Nikki, I added you.

Donna
Old 12-07-2015, 08:10 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Zachary Levi

Why is Blood & Oil reducing Billy and Cody's story to a cheap ratings grab?

Quote:
Blood & Oil's Billy/Cody storyline is just plain bad storytelling

Well, I tried, you guys. I really did. I wanted to like Blood & Oil — and, for the most part, I was able to overlook its shortcomings until tonight. But the latest development between Billy and Cody LeFever brought me to my breaking point.

I am having an existential crisis of the first-season-show variety. Did I just blow nine hours of my life on a show that was not worthy of such an investment? Should ABC just cut their losses now and let the fledgling show go? Or can it be saved?

If the latter is going to happen, they're going to have to do some major damage control where Billy and Cody are concerned.

In full disclosure, I don't mind the show's melodramatic slant — if a western and a soap opera got hitched and had a little modern baby, it would be Blood & Oil... and I'm down with that. I welcome this last dose of escapism on Sunday evenings before the weekly grind begins again.

What I do mind is that the show has now tipped the scales entirely in the direction of melodrama, particularly when it comes to the relationships.

Was I surprised when it came out that Jules was having an affair with Hap behind her boyfriend/his son Wick's back? Not really, because Hap and Wick were both set up as slightly seedy characters from the show's start.

It's the way the show has recently zeroed in on any relationship of apparent substance in the name of cheap ratings grabs that has my guard up.

First, it was Billy and Cody's Nigerian friends, Ada and Kess. They were such a loving, beautiful couple — the first people to help Billy and Cody adapt to this slick new oil town. So not only did it irk me when they had Ada share a kiss with the couple's food truck partner, Finn, but I also found it unbelievable.

Still, I gave B&O the benefit of the doubt when they divulged more information about the couple's story. Kess had gambling problems in Nigeria too, and it was the reason Ada had agreed to move here. These things can put a strain on a marriage.

However, and this is a big however, there are couples who don't buckle under pressure. There are couples who take their vows very seriously. I'm not naive. I obviously know people do stray and make mistakes. But I also know some people don't, and those kinds of couples are no longer represented.

Because tonight, we saw Billy and Cody crumble when Billy kissed his new geologist partner, Emma. Some may argue that she kissed him, and she did. C'mon, though. He definitely kissed her back.

It's the first season, and our ride-or-die husband and wife heroes are already bailing?

Sigh. I feel like this was what B&O thought would get a ratings spike for a faltering show — a show they were certain would be their fall lineup's biggest hit. And while it has all the necessary ingredients, it simply hasn't panned out as predicted.

I've watched the show all season, and I've even defended against those who've said it has crossed the threshold from dramatic to campy. Tonight's development, however, made me question how ABC could possibly sustain the show.

For me, one of the biggest draws of the series (outside of Don Johnson) was the relationship between Billy and Cody. Perhaps because of Chace Crawford and Rebecca Rittenhouse's undeniable chemistry. Or perhaps because I thought they reminded me of me and my husband on some level.

I think much of the magic in the show stemmed from their willingness to do anything for each other and to stick it out even when things got tough. That was kind of their song and dance from the very first episode. It's frustrating that it was already such an uphill battle rooting for them since they'd been plagued by problems from the onset, and for all of our optimism they just ended up another pedantic trope of young love gone awry.

People are cynical, yes, but we want more of a happy ending than seeing our heroes' seemingly unbreakable bond fracture before the close of the first season.

Were you as annoyed by Billy and Emma's kiss as I was?

Donna
Old 12-08-2015, 07:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Zachary Levi

‘Blood & Oil’ Fate Uncertain, Cancellation Likely

Quote:
Blood & Oil was supposed to be a ratings winner for the ABC network. Many assumed it would be similar to the network’s mega-hit Revenge and a little bit similar to the primetime soap, Dallas. As it turns out, the ratings just haven’t been there for the show to continue on. Shortly after it began airing, ABC decided to cut the series down to only 10 episodes. According to CarterMatt, the Blood & Oil season finale is Sunday, but it should be called the series finale. The future is looking grim for the show, and cancellation is incredibly likely at this point.

The cast of Blood & Oil is nothing short of star-studded. Don Johnson plays the oil tycoon Hap Briggs, while Chace Crawford plays the young man Billy who wants to break into the business so badly, there isn’t anything he wouldn’t do to make it happen. Social media seems to be following the show, but the actual ratings aren’t reflecting that. While there has been no official confirmation from ABC on a cancellation, it looks like Blood & Oil is officially over after the “season finale” Sunday night.

When asked what went wrong with Blood & Oil, there are several answers depending on who you ask. Some believe it was an overload on characters, while others will say the story lines were too mundane. Billy and Cody’s love story took a backseat so that fans could see Hap and his shenanigans in the oil business. His son, Wick, was also thrown in the face of the viewers, but his character wasn’t particularly liked. As the season moved on, the ratings began to fall. While Don Johnson and Chace Crawford had their own fan bases, it wasn’t enough to propel the show into instant ratings success.

Because the next episode of Blood & Oil is dubbed the season finale, there will likely be no closure to any of the story lines. As fans watch Billy and Cody drift apart, they want some resolution. Will Billy choose the oil and money over the love of his life? Last week, it appeared that is where it was headed, especially with the kiss he shared with Emma. With all of the happenings and only one hour to close everything up, there isn’t enough time to conclude every storyline.

According to Gossip & Gab, Blood & Oil was going to attempt a pregnancy storyline with Jules. She revealed she was pregnant last week, and now, no one will ever know whether Hap or Wick fathered her child. Cody is back with Jules after seeing Billy kiss Emma. As things are falling apart, Blood & Oil could redeem itself with the ratings. Because the network opted to cut the full season order for the show, there wasn’t much time to succeed. After 10 episodes, the fans who invested in Blood & Oil are sad to know the show is likely going to be canceled.

ABC hasn’t had the best of luck in recent years with new fall shows. The network banked heavily on the success of Blood & Oil, and it didn’t pan out. Without an official announcement, fans are left hanging in the balance. Do they watch the season finale and hope for the best, or do they cut their losses and act like Blood & Oil never existed? Predictions indicate that the official cancellation announcement will come after the new year, when the shows that were renewed return. Fans are saddened by the possibility of Blood & Oil’s ending, but at this point there is very little hope left. A cancellation is devastating news, especially for something like Blood & Oil, which had potential to span several seasons if the writing was done properly.
I hope that it won't be cancelled.

Donna
Old 12-20-2015, 03:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thank you for everything, Donna.

Welcome, Nikki.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:51 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Zachary Levi

Jade, you're welcome.

Donna