Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Extreme Fan

Queen Guinevere | Angel Coulby [6] Because we're "Dancing on the Edge" waiting for October!

Welcome to the
Queen Guinevere | Angel Coulby
Appreciation Thread - #6

The Beauty Behind the Legend
~Name: Angel Coulby
~Date of Birth: August 30, 1980
~Home: London, England
~Studies: Queen Margaret University
~Guilty Pleasures: French Wine, Cheese, Kentucky Fried Chicken
~Things She Enjoy (besides acting): Horseback Riding, Dancing, Music Festivals, Knitting, Cooking, Photography, Reading

Angel Trivia

~She was “lazy” at her Drama studies while in college.
~She would love to do theatre in New York.
~She liken swordplay to dancing.
~She landed the part of Guinevere with one audition.
~She previously worked with Anthony Head on the BBC Series Man Child
~She loves "His Dark Materials" book series by Philip Pullman

The Queen

~Name: Guinevere “Gwen”
~Home: Camelot
~Family: Arthur Pendragon, Husband, Thomas, Father (deceased), Mother (unknown), Elyan, Brother
~Occupation: Queen of Camelot
~Other Skills: Expert in the Weapontry of Pots, Seamstress, Ability to mend and work with armour and weapons, Superb Investigator, Motivational Speaker
~Personality & Contributions: Guinevere has been known to be confident, but humble, compassionate, yet firm, sensible, but brave. She risked death to retrieve the healing flower from Arthur (who’d been jailed for disobeying his father) that would heal a dying Merlin. She stood up for the women of Ealdor and convinced Arthur to let them help fight off the bandits that were attacking their village. She saved Arthur from the beast Cornelius Sigan raised to terrorize Camelot. She called Arthur on his selfishness while staying in her home and taught him a lesson in humility. She helped Merlin expose the Witchfinder. She convinced Arthur not to execute Gauis. She saved Arthur from the curse of King Alined & Trickler. She risked her life to get fresh water for those injured by the dragon attack. She helped Merlin stop the goblin. She gave up Arthur for the greater good. She stood up to Uther when he accused her of practicing magic. She came up with a plan to rescue Sir Leon from Camelot and executed that plan with success – all on her own. She stood up for the "people" before the Court of Camelot when Aggravaine opposed giving them shelter from the Dorocha and won their support. She saved Arthur from the enchanted assasin Merlin. She saved Merlin from the monster Lamia, but more importantly she saved herself. When Guinevere was banished from Camelot due to a betrayal shrouded in deceit, forced to leave all she had and all she knew - She survived. She found a new home/village, and when she found herself in trouble she used her wits and fled when the opportunity presented itself. She ran down Morgana and faced her down, confronting her as to why she hated her and took her on with a sword. Guinevere is a strong, beautiful, clever, resiliant young woman who is more than capable of taking care of herself. She is also Arthur’s conscious and strength and Merlin's partner in friendship and crime-solving. Guinevere is in essence the "Hunter's Heart" and the soul of Camelot.

All The Queen’s Men

~Arthur Pendragon – Prince Arthur became smitten with Guinevere after she saved his life from Cornelius Sigan’s beast. However, Gwen continued to see him as nothing more than an arrogant prat until he stayed a few days in her home. Though things started out less than promising due to Arthur's arrogance and self-centeredness, Gwen eventually discovered a softer side to him and before the Prince left her home to return to the castle the two shared a kiss. Unfortunately him being a Prince and her a servant, they concluded that being together was not possible. Nevertheless, after the return of Lancelot, a couple of humiliations, nefarious love enchantments, countless threats of death and Arthur’s relentless pursuit of Gwen, Arthur and Gwen found their way back to each other. He saved her from the dragon attack. She saved him from King Alined's spell. He risked his life to save her brother. She gave him up for the good of Camelot. He defied his father by refusing to marry a Princess because of his love for her. He offered to give up his crown and leave Camelot for her. He vowed that when he becomes king they would be together, and Gwen agreed to wait for him. After defeating Morgana and Morgause they expressed their love and joy in Camelot’s courtyard for all to see with a kiss and a hug.

A year past and all was going well in her relationship with Arthur until his father died. Arthur was crowned king, and the pressures of his new responsibilities and the ill advise of an evil uncle spurred Arthur to end their relationship. Arthur quickly realized his error and apologized. Gwen accepted him back into her life and later accepted his proposal of marriage only for them to be torn apart by her betrayal (a kiss) with Lancelot – due to an enchantment by Morgana. Believing the betrayal to be real, Arthur banished Gwen from Camelot. However, after a series of consequential events and realizations, Gwen’s path crossed with Arthur in Ealdor – Merlin’s hometown, where she’d gone to start anew. Driven by love and longing Gwen and Arthur shared an emotional reunion. However, the reunion was short-lived when Arthur still found that he was angry over Gwen’s betrayal. The distance remained between them until they witnessed a heartbreaking event which drove Arthur to yield to his heart and forgive/trust Gwen again. Arthur proposed once more. Gwen accepted. They were married and last we saw he’d crowned her Queen of Camelot. However, the truth about the enchantment/betrayal had yet to be discovered.

~Elyan – Guinevere and her brother had once been close, but for a reason not addressed he left Camelot many years earlier. Gwen heard nothing from her brother, not even when their father was killed, but was made aware of his location when Cenred kidnapped her brother in an attempt to lure Prince Arthur into a trap. It was a bittersweet reunion for the brother and sister. However, while locked away in Cenred’s dungeon they talked out their issues. Elyan and Gwen seemed to be well on their way to rebuilding their relationship. Unfortunately they have hardly spoken since their reunion in Cenred’s dungeon. When Gwen was confronted with betraying Arthur with Lancelot, Elyan said nothing to defend his sister and looked on her with disgust and did nothing to help her as she left Camelot due to her banishment. Whether Elyan and Gwen will come together once more remains to be seen. Perhaps now that she is Queen, things will be different between them.

~Merlin – From the first day she met Merlin, she admired him. He wasn’t afraid of Prince Arthur “the prat” and his quirkiness was endearing. Guinevere became fast friends with Merlin upon his arrival in Camelot. She taught him all about armour so that he could properly do his job assisting Prince Arthur. She assisted him with helping Lancelot become a knight and saw the goodness in his heart. As a result, Guinevere developed a minor crush on Merlin. She even kissed him when he survived nearly dying after drinking from a poison chalice. However, Gwen’s crush quickly faded when Merlin didn’t return her affections. In recent years Merlin saved Gwen from execution when Uther accused her of sorcery. Gwen helped save Merlin from the power of the evil Formorroh and an attack by the monster Lamia. Merlin saved Gwen from death after she lay injured and in shock in the woods after Morgana tried to kill her. They are now the closest of friends, have been for years. Some like to call them the BFFs or the Camelot Detective Agency because of the work they’ve done to solve the mysteries that often plague Camelot.
~Lancelot – Guinevere met Lancelot, who was instantly smitten with her, when he came to Camelot in hopes of becoming a knight. Gwen grew fond of Lancelot while assisting Merlin in helping him fulfill his lifelong dream. Nonetheless, being a commoner, Lancelot’s dream was not meant to be, which led to his decision to leave Camelot. Having grown to care for Lancelot, Gwen asked him to stay, but he refused and immediately left town. However, a little more than a year later Guinevere and Lancelot crossed paths again when she was kidnapped by Hengist and Lancelot was working as a gladiator of sorts in his village for sport. Lancelot and Gwen professed to having feelings for one another, and Lancelot vowed to save her. Only he failed in his vow and was ultimately rescued by Prince Arthur and Merlin who’d come to save Gwen. After learning that Arthur defied his father to save Gwen, Lancelot realized the Prince had deep feelings for her and in turn made the decision to leave Gwen behind so as not to get in the way of the blossoming love between her and Arthur. Gwen was heartbroken by his choice, but quickly got over him and embraced her feelings for Arthur. Guinevere did not see Lancelot for nearly two years when he again resurfaced to assist Arthur with defeating Morgana. At the end of Series 3, Lancelot was saddened to witness that Gwen and Arthur were very much in love. Nevertheless that didn’t stop him from giving her longing eyes. Yet Gwen failed to return his affections, and in fact asked Lancelot to protect Arthur when he and the knights planned a dangerous mission to close a magical veil. Lancelot died on this mission. Gwen was devastated with guilt. However, months later Lancelot mysteriously returned to Camelot – alive, and unbeknownst to Gwen (and everyone else) he was no longer the real Lancelot, but a puppet being controlled by Morgana in an effort to destroy Gwen’s impending marriage to Arthur. When Lancelot’s return failed to stir Gwen’s affections, Morgana tasked him with presenting Gwen with an enchanted bracelet that would reawaken her former affection for him. The bracelet worked causing Gwen to kiss him which was witnessed by Arthur. A fight ensued between the men and just as Arthur was about to kill Lancelot, Gwen stepped between the men, stopping the fight and suspending Lancelot’s death. After this incident Gwen never saw Lancelot again. For she was banished from Camelot and Lancelot took his own life – per Morgana’s directive.

Fans.

1| pendragonღ
2| defyprobability
3| Melanie Garcia
4| Miss Fate
5| FunSizeKristy
6| ~*blackXS*~
7| onlydreaming
8| autumn_hope
9| kellie101
10| MPGirl
11| ღEmrys
12| arakha
13| Ashes0909
14| stumps101
15| *Catherine*
16| J'adore
17| lisagslack14
18| BreanBamonFan
19l tjtangles
20l WikkedAngel
21| IslandBeachBum
22| starryxnight
23| Pan
24| Vintage_Love
25| barneyrocks
26| ticfortac
27| lostie86
28| LuckyRabbit
29| claudypritz
30| McQueenFanFirl
31| ursa major
32| Guinevereღ
33| merthurwen
34| tammyb22
35| AGDoren
36| MiAjeM3
37| bamonfan
38| dlittleone
39| MyzButterfly
40| Myna
41| ≡IxX≡
42| frenchgleek
43| kilgarrah
44| SuitUp
45| BeautifulContradiction

“We’d seen an awful lot of actresses for Gwen and we were getting right down to literally three days we were about to do the read-through and the filming and we still hadn’t cast her. And we just hadn’t quite found the right actress that had the sort of level of dignity that you would believe was a queen whilst at the same time, could be sort of humble and also, you wanted somebody that had a comic ability as well - that was another key thing. And then Angel came in one day and she read it and James Hawes and I - that was the director - looked at each other and said, “wow, she’s fantastic.” And again, it was great because Angel has this extraordinary presence on screen and she has a great ability to do really big emotional scenes whilst at the same time, have a real lightness of touch.” -Johnny Capps, Executive Producer (Merlin)

"I've really enjoyed seeing Gwen moving on in the story and getting feistier. She's still humble, but she's stronger too, and she gets to be quite herioc!" -Merlin Fan Magazine December 2011

“To me, Gwen in the beginning was a slightly bumbling young girl with a big future. I think she has poise and grace, even if she’s angry or impassioned…she believes that having humility is vital.”Young Performer Magazine Sept/Oct 2011

“I’ve always known I wanted to be an actress ever since I knew what it was.”NiceGirlsTV.com, June 2010

“I've always said, she's a blacksmith's daughter, and he made swords. He probably would have taught her a bit of swordplay. So I think she'd be quite good with a sword.”Newsrama, May 2010
Filmography.
Dancing on the Edge (2012)
Merlin (2008 - )
Blue Murder (2007)
Life Is Wind (2007)
The Visit (2007)
Talk to Me (2007)
New Street Law (2007)
Secret Life (2007)
Gina’s Laughing Gear (2007)
Magicians (2007)
The Bill (2006)
Tripping Over (2006)
Vincent (2005-06)
Dr. Who (2006)
Hustle (2006)
Imagine Me & You (2005) – movie
The League of Gentlemen’s Apocalypse (2005)
Murder Investigation Team (2005)
The Jacket (2005) – movie
Holby City (2004)
Conviction (2004)
As If (2004)
Making Waves (2004)
Manchild (2003)
The Second Coming (2003)
The Good Thief (2002)
Having It Off (2002)
Casualty (2002)
Orrible (2001)
The Scariest Place on Earth (2001)

Previous Threads
The Once and Future Queen
Because she’s doused with liquid awesome!
Because Saturday Nights means KFC, French wine and watching the "lovely" Angel
Because "Angel has this extraordinary presence on screen" - Johnny Capps
Long Live the Queen!

Future Thread Titles

~Because we're "Dancing on the Edge" waiting for Angel's next movie

~Because she has a good heart, but she's not quite as selfless as Gwen.

~"You know the thing about these chapters...is that I haven't read them."

~Because she'd love to work in New York

~Because we agree with Angel, Gwen needs more sword fighting scenes.

~Because "No one would sacrifice more for Camelot than her."

Credits;
GIFs by brightporcelain, allblackcherry, fyeahangelcoulby
Fanart by mydearreckless, brightporcelain
3x13 pictures by farfarawaysite.com
3x7 pictures by Merlin screencaps by EMMAJANE
2x4 pictures from LancelotandGuinevere tumblr
Character and story information from merlinwikia.com
Everything else from Adoring Angel Coulby

Experience the Legacy

Last edited by ursa major; 10-11-2012 at 05:04 PM
Old 06-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Passionate Fan

Yay you started the new thread! I love new threads cause I get to see that beautiful pic of Angel at the beginning
Old 06-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Extreme Fan

Hi Myna!! And you're welcome!

I apologize to all the fellow Angel/Gwen fans for the typo in the title. Someone called just as I was editing the title and posting and messed me up.

Anyway, I've PM'ed a moderator and asked them to fix it.

Experience the Legacy
Old 06-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Passionate Fan

Oh! Once again I thought it meant something significant No prob Just happy to have another thread to gush in
Old 06-26-2012, 01:26 AM
Master Fan

You know what I like about Gwen and Angel the most. Is that Gwen has every chance to be a Mary Sue and yet she's not. Angel makes the character real, she gives her heart.

I know this is shallow, but I'm really looking forward to all her pretty dresses as queen. I always had such costume envy when it came to Morgana's outfits and I'm sure it will be the same with Gwen's outfits. That and at least one scene where she's wearing the crown like a banquet with a visiting royal.

I would hope that Gwen whose work every day of her life would be given something to do. Perhaps some of the duties Arthur had when he was prince. Like keeping track of their provisions for food, both perishable and things like grain, fresh water, etc. Be in charge of the palace servants, make sure they are being treated right and that they are staying on task. Bettering life for the poor people of Camelot, especially the children. I just can't see Gwen being happy just sitting around in a pretty dress all day, eating chocolates, and working on getting pregnant. She would go stir crazy mad with boredom and would want something she could sink her teeth into.

I would love for Gwen to have her own storyline other than being Arthur's wife. Like working to better the life in Camelot for the people. Or her learning to defend herself by Arthur and the knight teaching her sword fighting. Maybe even her finding out Merlin's secret. And her being torn between her BFF with Merlin and her love for her husband Arthur. I would like to see her be on good terms with the visiting royals. Where she is well informed in the politics of court.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for the new thread, nice OP.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Extreme Fan

eternal - You're welcome!

Quote:
I know this is shallow, but I'm really looking forward to all her pretty dresses as queen. I always had such costume envy when it came to Morgana's outfits and I'm sure it will be the same with Gwen's outfits. That and at least one scene where she's wearing the crown like a banquet with a visiting royal.
I love almost every oufit Morgana has worn. Even her black dress of scorn and cloak was a nice design with interesting material.

From what I've seen so far of Gwen's new gowns I kind of feel as if they dropped the ball a bit. There are a couple of dresses I find beautiful, but for the most part I'm disappointed with her new wardrobe and especially her hair.

But...that aside, Angel looks absolutely radiant. And I don't know if it's the design of the dresses or what, but she looks like she's lost some weight.

Experience the Legacy
Old 06-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrios (View Post)
You know what I like about Gwen and Angel the most. Is that Gwen has every chance to be a Mary Sue and yet she's not. Angel makes the character real, she gives her heart.

It just shows how great of an Actress Angel is. She really does her best all the time.

I'm with you. it's going to be really great to see how Gwen looks as Queen, I think she'll rock the outfits. I hope they give Angel a lot of great stuff to work with.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Passionate Fan

Angel is a fantastic actress. She has so many layers and even great comedic timing too. Plus she's gorgeous I seriously cannot wait to see Gwen/Angel in her new gowns. I know I keep saying this but maybe my repetition will make it come to be in reality, I want lots of different colors and different fabrics!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

TFTNT ursa_major
Old 06-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Extreme Fan

Emma - You're welcome!

Thanks for correcting the thread title.

Experience the Legacy
Old 06-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

No problem
Old 06-30-2012, 07:32 AM
Master Fan

I'm so behind on Merlin news that I juuuuuust got around to taking a look at the new onset pics. I have a love/hate relationship with the costumes on Merlin so at first I wasn't surprised that I felt underwhelmed by the first few dresses I saw.
Of course, there's something to be said for the elaborate dresses since my favorite Guinevere dress is her coronation dress:

That one is just s t u n n i n g.

Last edited by kindness is free; 06-30-2012 at 11:14 AM
Old 06-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Fan Forum Star

Betty I had to edit your post as it contained outfit spoilers.

I love her coronation dress
Old 07-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Passionate Fan

Her coronation dress is the best so far! Her Season 5 dresses seem to be gearing up to be like the past. Hits and a few misses. Can't wait to see them air.