Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburgo1001 (View Post)
I know. What the heck were we thinking? I blame it on youthful foolishness.
That and just having a natural knack for common sense on what constitutes GOOD writing!!!

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrhmLz (View Post)
That and just having a natural knack for common sense on what constitutes GOOD writing!!!
Yeah, that too. But in all seriousness, one of the reasons why I clung so desperately to the hope that it was all going to be a fake out was that when SR came in, he claimed that he would respect Bell and Peter's vision and that the story would remain the same under his direction. But clearly, that was all a big fat lie and the retconned John May death was one of the very first changes he made to the show. It just took me until I read some of the season 2 spoilers to realize it.

Last edited by Hamburgo1001; 09-27-2011 at 01:21 PM
Old 09-28-2011, 07:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yeah, that too. But in all seriousness, one of the reasons why I clung so desperately to the hope that it was all going to be a fake out was that when SR came in, he claimed that he would respect Bell and Peter's vision and that the story would remain the same under his direction. But clearly, that was all a big fat lie and the retconned John May death was one of the very first changes he made to the show. It just took me until I read some of the season 2 spoilers to realize it.
gosh, that makes me upset. Clearly, he had no intentions of doing that and it all blew up in his face as a showrunner. It's one thing for me to disagree with a direction or directions and not like them, but it's comletely something else for me not to even have a handle on what SR wanted to do. And I still don't - to me, there was no solid flow of ideas coming from him. Everything was all over the place, all that I can walk away from this show and say is that he managed to accomplish completely dismantling what the show was supposed to be about.

Sadly, his direction was so bad, I'd have to look back and say that under his writing thumb, killing off John May was probably one of the kindest things he did. I shudder to even think of the possible directions for John May had he stuck around, especially when I start to think about SR's clear disdain for good V Fifth Column characters and remember what he did to Ryan. And what he was in the process of doing to Joshua, or Lisa.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
gosh, that makes me upset. Clearly, he had no intentions of doing that and it all blew up in his face as a showrunner. It's one thing for me to disagree with a direction or directions and not like them, but it's comletely something else for me not to even have a handle on what SR wanted to do. And I still don't - to me, there was no solid flow of ideas coming from him. Everything was all over the place, all that I can walk away from this show and say is that he managed to accomplish completely dismantling what the show was supposed to be about.
Agreed. SR definitely had no clear vision for V. His ideas were clashing all over the place. I just don't understand why guys like Bell and Peters were already demoted after 2 or 3 episodes while SR was allowed to shilly-shally for almost 2 freaking years. How is something like this possible?

Quote:
Sadly, his direction was so bad, I'd have to look back and say that under his writing thumb, killing off John May was probably one of the kindest things he did. I shudder to even think of the possible directions for John May had he stuck around, especially when I start to think about SR's clear disdain for good V Fifth Column characters and remember what he did to Ryan. And what he was in the process of doing to Joshua, or Lisa.
Yeah, looking at what SR did to a character like Ryan, it's fairly obvious that he would have deconstructed the John May character too. And I still shudder to think of what a potential second John May flashback could have entailed.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Agreed. SR definitely had no clear vision for V. His ideas were clashing all over the place. I just don't understand why guys like Bell and Peters were already demoted after 2 or 3 episodes while SR was allowed to shilly-shally for almost 2 freaking years. How is something like this possible?
I'll never completely understand myself. He should have been gone at the end of S1, the latest, and I mean the ... latest.

Quote:
Yeah, looking at what SR did to a character like Ryan, it's fairly obvious that he would have deconstructed the John May character too. And I still shudder to think of what a potential second John May flashback could have entailed.
Nothing good - and we both know that, I'm sure. I can already see the flimsy writing on the walls, the twisted of canon to suit SR's purposes for Anna. John May would have probably been villainized and sacrificed at the storyline altar for 'Anna', in order to give her sympathetic story and keep it flowing.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I'll never completely understand myself. He should have been gone at the end of S1, the latest, and I mean the ... latest.
Yeah, the way I see it, SR should have been demoted the moment he started to map out his own character arcs and ignored everything that Bell and Peters had outlined. That's like the craziest thing about this whole mess for me. SR was basically being handed a nearly completely developed product. All he had to do was to work out the missing mythology and put it all together. Instead, his ego took over and he screwed everything up.

Quote:
Nothing good - and we both know that, I'm sure. I can already see the flimsy writing on the walls, the twisted of canon to suit SR's purposes for Anna. John May would have probably been villainized and sacrificed at the storyline altar for 'Anna', in order to give her sympathetic story and keep it flowing.
Yep, I am suspecting the same thing. There's this tiny little part of me that would like to think that SR was just trying to fool us and he was going to bring John May back alive and kicking, but I just know that wasn't going to happen. Not with the way the story "progressed."

One final Michael Trucco picspam:

Source

I'm gonna miss having this thread to come to.

Last edited by Hamburgo1001; 10-01-2011 at 01:38 PM
Old 10-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^ I'm going to miss it too, Alex. This character was destined to be one of my favorites, I just know it.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Elite Fan

Mine too. I think I would have liked John May at least as much as I did Michael's character Sam Anders on BSG, if not even a little bit more. It's such a shame that it didn't work out.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

In another writing universe. *sighs* RIP, John May!

Old 10-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Elite Fan

RIP, John May! I'll never forget you and what you could have been. And always remember: John May Lives!
Old 10-02-2011, 05:45 AM
Elite Fan

Nice picspam

Bye John May, you could have been an awesome character I'm gonna miss this thread too

JOHN MAY LIVES