Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2024, 11:44 PM
Graphics Team Manager
the fight never ends

NCIS - "A Thousand Yards" (21.07) Ep. Discussion Thread (Airs Apr 15th @ 9PM)

NCIS 21.07 - "A Thousand Yards"
Original Airdate: April 15, 2024 @ 9PM

x

Episode Summary
NCIS comes under attack by a mysterious enemy from the past. Also, Vance tries to
mend fences with his estranged son by explaining why, despite the ongoing dangers
of his job, he still chooses to stay at NCIS.
Source

Chelle » join GTmy articon
shinebrighterxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 11:55 PM
Extreme Fan

Man, almost hard to believe I've been with this franchise for 9 and a half years now, and now it's celebrating such a huge milestone.

Anyhoo, looking forward to all the 'honoring the past and looking towards the future' stuff, along with all the little Easter eggs, and yes. the Team LA representation and whoever gets to make an 'extra special, blink and you'll miss it' appearance! (if I'm correct o who I think it'll be, get ready for the biggest celebration you've ever seen from me!)
Ladybird16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 01:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the thread.
I think it was a good season so far.
This episode sounds interesting too and it is nice to see at least one of Vance's kids again.
nuwanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 01:37 AM
Graphics Team Manager
the fight never ends

Quote:
it is nice to see at least one of Vance's kids again.
The 'estranged' part intrigues me. I don't think we knew previously that they were estranged. It sounds like it'll be some tough conversations between Vance & his son. Looking forward to the ep

Old 04-14-2024, 12:10 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

I don't think that we have seen Vance's son in years... we know that her daughter became an ncis agent, but I guess now we will learn what happened with his son...

... looking forward to the milestone episode.
I agree, so far I have enjoyed s21 as well with its coherent story telling...
Old 04-16-2024, 02:58 AM
Graphics Team Manager
the fight never ends

Well that's one way to get Vance's son's attention . Understandable why he's hurting & estranged though

Interesting the explosions were in places with connections to Tom Morrow & Kate Todd. Makes sense for this episode to throw back to the early seasons. Now Fornell too Targeting NCIS's history?

Kensi & Tennant teasing Torres

I'm glad the attack alerts were fake, also that McGee's family wasn't home. One more reference of Delilah & the twins & still not seeing them.

Poor Jared being used like that . Shame a part of his still blames NCIS & his father

scary what people can make up & convince people of. Then the motivation behind it is just to get a contract renewed?

Nice how McGee gave the guy from cyber a chance in interrogation

Interesting how the power was hacked & who was responsible for that

Oh so now they're saying the first case Fornell & Gibbs worked together was Yankee White's case... but there must still be faults in that ep as they had to know each other before then based on what we know later of their history & shared ex-wife?

Nice how they connected back to the first episode. Of course secret service won't ground the plane. Nice how they stopped it, but of course when the media reports it it has changed to say they worked with other agencies

The clips during the flashback between Vance & Jared were nice. I like how they connected all the shows in "you are my light in the darkness"

I'm glad Jared gets it now

I'm not sure who the 'cameo appearance' was meant to be? Was it really a blink & you miss it & I blinked?

Old 04-16-2024, 11:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I guess it was the only credible way of why we have not gotten to see Jared. So, to say they were estranged. As he's gotten older, and was out of the house. Neither getting the other, was a way to bring him back and question "why is NCIS still so important to Leon" after all that it has cost him, and his children.

Great to hear Kayla is succeeding. Now a agent afloat.

Love the call backs, to the first episode. I did also find it interesting that they are saying that the reason "Yankee White" was a very different Fornell/Gibbs was because it was the first case that they worked together. Despite yeah, them having a more private history with Diane.

To use Fornell, and to use the pilot episode. They did have to do a little rewriting.

But given it's been 21 years, it's credible, that a child would be involved.

It's amazing how McGee has come. Now an acting director LOL.

Still can't see the actor who plays Voss without thinking of him as Hodgins on Bones. Although he was also in a episode of early NCIS. So, technically, this was his second episode.

Nice to see Vance and Jared reunited.

They really did a excellent 1000 episode. Amazing the franchise has grown this big.
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!
Jasper1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 12:30 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

The story made sense, and felt real - it was a good way for Jared, and also for all old & newer fans to remember what makes ncis different...

... I understood the Yankee White case as being the first official case where Gibbs & Fornell worked together, and the decision afterwards being made that if it is about NCIS Fornell would be the agent to handle...

... in my mind it didn't disregard the history they had with Diane, or that they couldn't have run into each other previously - but it was the turning point in office relations...

... enjoyed all the small references, and the little video footage from the FBI interview which was used 21 years ago where FBI has saved the day

And yes, I cannot see the actor as not being Hodges either, and I think he was a rookie agent in s2 or s3 before Bones became a thing
Old 04-16-2024, 02:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

We have gotten so much of Kayla in the past. We rarely saw Jared after Jackie died, and period right after... It's good to go into a new territory, and he got to see why the agency was so important. Even if it still had bitter memories because of his loss of his mother.

Yeah, I can buy that Gibbs and Fornell might have known each other before Yankee White. Because of Diane. But Yankee White was the first case, that they truly did work on, and it went from there, and the friendship grew.

And "for 20 years be has been saving NCIS asses" as he would say LOL.

Love that the episode gave nods to franchise. But looked at the pilot episode.

Poor Jared. In finding out about the girl's true nature.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:26 AM
Graphics Team Manager
the fight never ends

It is possible I confused people a little. I had no issues with this episode. However the history between Fornell & Gibbs has always been a bit murky as in their first interactions Gibbs pretends to be Ducky's assistant & Fornell only later learns that they're from NCIS & not the local medical examiners. However Fornell should've known that already or at least know who Gibbs was. Maybe he didn't know what Gibbs did for a living back then though. But from what I remember their backstory is that Gibbs even tried warning Fornell not to marry Diane. So it never really made that first episode make sense so it seems there are mistakes there. Unless Fornell didn't recognise him or just played along to see where they were going with it. So my fault lies with that first episode where they clearly didn't know what they were going to do with the Fornell character. Back then they certainly couldn't have foretold they'd have the opportunity to celebrate 1000 episodes in a whole franchise of NCIS shows. They would've been taking each episode as they came. Later deciding that Fornell was fun & should be kept around & that giving him a connection to Gibbs made it more interesting. All understandable when a show is finding itself. But to now say that episode is the first time Fornell & Gibbs/NCIS worked together is interested - especially given how many more times they cross paths. I wouldn't have expected that. But I guess it does make that scene in the pilot make more sense as to him not recognising who they are. Even if Fornell should've still known Gibbs.

It is highly possible other FBI agents crossed paths with NCIS prior to that, but none had met Gibbs yet (Tom Morrow probably would've done that on purpose where he could knowing Gibbs) or Gibbs behaved himself in the past. Or did some smaller things & this was the last straw for Gibbs. Fornell proved he could fend for himself/deal with Gibbs so then got stuck being the one to handle NCIS/Gibbs from that moment forward. I can believe that it was the first case they worked together even without expecting it. It is just that one scene from the pilot which they can't ever fix.

Old 04-17-2024, 07:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Of course, yes, when they did the pilot. They did not know where the show would grow, or that they would enjoy the character of Fornell. And the team of him and Gibbs would be so interesting and funny to see, so for this episode to rely on the pilot and to use Fornell because Gibbs is now gone, and was not coming for it. They had to do a little fancy footwork.

So, yeah, I can buy that Gibbs would have known Fornell due to their private lives, and maybe like his knowledge of Vance before he took over as director. You see someone around the office, or agency but Yankee White was the first case that he truly did work with Fornell. And then their friendship would grow deeper as a result of working together.

Even then, Fornell really did not seem to know about Gibbs in the pilot. And they only wrote in the tie in about Diane, later on. But still, it makes it plausible.

Even if a little murky.

Last edited by Jasper1975; 04-17-2024 at 12:12 PM
Old 04-18-2024, 12:21 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

I think we still handle little murky...

I tend to think of that scene from the pilot as Fornell playing along and claiming to not know Gibbs... as otherwise it doesn't fully add up...

... but I can totally believe that they let Fornell to work sith Gibbs on any joined assignment after the pilot ep... the only one who was able to handle Gibbs' ways.