Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2021, 04:45 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

NCIS isn't too big on crossover episodes in general

I don't think that the lack of crossover eps in the later seasons had much to do with the initial dislike, but more with finding the period when everyone is available at the same time.

At least we got Tony & Deeks working together during that one crossover episode

I can totally see NCIS Hawaii, if it gets picked up have a crossover with Magnum... It'd be a missed opportunity for the show if they wouldn't...

Yeah, so far NCIS was able to bring in good new characters, I've never felt like that they were replacing someone with a similar character... It's just takes getting used to, I guess...
Old 03-13-2021, 04:54 PM
Graphics Team Manager

I agree . It is hard to fit in a crossover when all shows are telling their own stories, then finding a time which suits everyone's schedules. Then it also wasn't necessary for either show. I think more were done early on in LA & NOLA to help establish them & encourage fans to watch. That's not so necessary now. Then if you look at NOLA they haven't had a crossover with NCIS for a while either. Its established itself as its own show now

We have been lucky with what we did get

All characters NCIS have brought in have been great . They know better than to try to replace characters with similar ones. But I don't see this new one as being a replacement to anyone. Her character isn't going to be the same role as Sloane's was & it has been so long that it wouldn't be a true replacement for Quinn either. To me a replacement is like what Ziva was for Kate, Bishop for Ziva, Kasie for Abby, Nick for Tony... & maybe Sloane for Ducky. This is just a new character joining the team/show which happens to be happening after someone left earlier in the season

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 03-13-2021, 05:01 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

True, she sounds like a completely new character

Luckily enough the others weren't exact copies, or characters with same character straits even though they replaced each other...

NOLA needed to become its own show without the DC office always popping up to help them out... Still it's quite sad that NOLA & LA never had any crossover moments... Understandable but a shame
Old 03-13-2021, 05:06 PM
Graphics Team Manager

They've done good when they have replaced characters

Yeah NOLA had a little too much help from the DC office . Missed opportunity there, I agree

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 03-14-2021, 02:24 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

I didn't really expect them to crossover with both of them being run with different production groups, and not even within the same city/area... But still it's sad that we won't see the 2 teams working together...

NOLA had Abby, Gibbs, McGee, Bishop, Coast guard Abby & even Fornell popping up at some point
Old 03-16-2021, 08:22 PM
Graphics Team Manager

I didn't expect it to happen either, it just would've been nice to see them do it

NOLA had too much in a short period of time

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 03-17-2021, 08:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I did not bother me that in the beginning there was so crossover. My main issues with NOLA was storyline related and Pride's demons started to override, and then the cast turn over. Not the fact they kept it in the world of the original NCIS. And had some of the characters pop up. That is what they tend to do with Spinoff's, and especially those in the same universe.

LA was no better in the early years. But because their premise was so much different than the mothership. It did not make it easy to cross the shows, and maybe that was Mark's issue with the show. I forgot exactly why he was against LA. Or he just did not think they should be doing spinoffs. But they were a success, and therefore, he became a producer on NOLA

Anyways, NOLA had it's own flavor. But it never could match with the original and LA.

I can't comment on last night's episode since I have not watched it yet. But I have heard about it.

Casting alert.

Mark's real life wife, Pam Dawber has been cast on NCIS for four episodes. Sharing scenes with Gibbs. She apparently plays a reporter...

Source: Ew.com

https://ew.com/tv/ncis-casts-pam-daw...d-mark-harmon/

If you have not seen last night's episode yet. There is a spoiler alert mentioned in the article about the characters, and mentions what happened.
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!
Old 03-17-2021, 02:24 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

Yeah, Pride & his demons There's a reason why I've never watched S4

Anyways, thanks for sharing the article It'd be interesting to see Mark interacting with his RL wife
Old 03-17-2021, 04:42 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Thanks for the news

Quote:
LA was no better in the early years.
LA had nothing on NOLA when it comes to characters appearing. Vance you expect to appear & again he didn't appear all that often I don't think. Then Abby made two appearances in the first season, that's it. NOLA had every episode almost at first had at least one character from NCIS appearing. Then it went into The Pride Show which annoyed fans too (that annoyed me more too)

Quote:
Or he just did not think they should be doing spinoffs.
Maybe what you're thinking of for Mark is actually what Donald Bellisario felt? He wasn't consulted about CBS doing a spinoff so there were issues there about that. Mark also could've agreed with Donald's feelings?

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 03-17-2021, 06:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinebrighterxx (View Post)
Thanks for the news

LA had nothing on NOLA when it comes to characters appearing. Vance you expect to appear & again he didn't appear all that often I don't think. Then Abby made two appearances in the first season, that's it. NOLA had every episode almost at first had at least one character from NCIS appearing. Then it went into The Pride Show which annoyed fans too (that annoyed me more too)

Maybe what you're thinking of for Mark is actually what Donald Bellisario felt? He wasn't consulted about CBS doing a spinoff so there were issues there about that. Mark also could've agreed with Donald's feelings?
Given Mark ran off Bellsario off the show after first several years. I do not think Mark was thinking much about Bellsario. They might have been thinking similarily, but probably for different reasons. It's been a long time. So, I forget what happened back then, and who was for and against it. Except I remember Mark had definite feelings about LA. CBS obviously wanted to capitalized on NCIS which was starting to become even more of a hit. LA was a very different child of NCIS. NOLA for good and bad was more in line, just in a different enviornment.

I forget how much of a presence the original NCIS had on NOLA as it was setting up. Still, it was a spinoff, and intent on being a companion to the mothership. LA had a percentage, but being in Los Angelas, and a very different show than the original. And Mark's feelings about it. Probably lessen how much a direct.

And then of course later Granger came in, as their Vance. Given what seemed like a different command structure than on the original. NOLA was more of a companion show. For good and bad.

Eventually it turned into something different, and definitely leaned on Pride's issues. And the constant turn over. So NOLA did not help its case.

Unless a spinoff goes in a complete different way. It does not bother me if the originals show up. Of course the show has to exist in its own way. Eventually it dropped off. Although I was not always a fan of the spinoff episodes between NCIS and NOLA. But some of them were entertaining.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the article!
Old 03-17-2021, 11:12 PM
Graphics Team Manager

The only 'issue' I had with NOLA having originals was the fact that it felt like it was every episode. They didn't let it stand on its own, its like they never were sure on the show from the start. Or Mark was trying to guarantee its success by getting his cast to appear on the other show. It had nothing to do with if the episodes were good or bad, it was the fact that it didn't seem fair for NOLA. I felt it should've been given more of a chance without the assist of constantly having someone appear. If you look at our crossover thread you can see 4 out of 5 of the first 5 episodes had someone. That is what I'm remembering & it felt like a whole lot more but it was just the 3 other episodes which had Borin in it that season. In the end it actually was only 7 out of 22 episodes so it wasn't much I suppose but felt like a lot.

Quote:
I do not think Mark was thinking much about Bellsario.
Possibly but I mainly was saying that maybe you are mixing up the opinions. I forgot about their issues but they still could've had the same opinion about it regardless of their differences. The only opinion I know about is Donald & he was against LA being created without his input or permission. I've never heard about Mark being against it. It also has been a long time so it is easy to get confused on who thought what about what. Then who knows if people get misquoted on things too. Anything Mark has done has to protect his coworkers & the show so if he felt that LA would affect that then possibly he was against it but that's on him if he wants to be strange like that . Only thing I've heard is that he didn't get along with the LA cast so that's why they haven't crossed over. Not that Mark had issues with the show itself being made. You could be right, I have no idea. That's just what I know & remember

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 03-18-2021, 02:31 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

(I can't say that I remember reading anything about Bellisario/Mark around 2009...) I can understand their initial wariness about the spin offs ... The NCIS franchise reminds me a bit too the CSI franchise...

In our franchise the OG & LA were/are a success, just like Las Vegas and Miami went on for many years. But NOLA & CSI NY were a hit & miss...

NOLA found its ground in the end, but it took them a long time to figure out the show & find the right cast... The Pride episodes were interesting, maybe in retrospect I would be able to enjoy them more... Since at times it felt too much...

LA also had quite a few character-centric episodes... I'd probably rather watch Pride's episodes than watch the episodes about Sam & Sudan...
Old 03-18-2021, 03:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree. LA has it's issues, more so in more recent years although they took time to get on their feet in the first season. The cast did not gel in my view until Deeks stumbled onto the team, and then joined fulltime.

It was very different from the mothership, which made it compelling. They retooled it a lot from the two episode plant pilot on NCIS. When it went to series, and Hetty gave a compelling leadership.

And Callen had a tragic backstory that were always cagey with. But it was still unique.

Yeah, it made it different for Sam to be a family man we would see, but to know sometimes he would fully in on his undercover ops.

What makes it unhappy for me with NOLA is last season and this season it seem to finally find it's own, and the newish cast has gelled well... I have liked it a lot.

Of course when you add several spinoffs, there is a glut. That happened with NOLA. And there was a lot of backstage drama in recent years in the wake of the Metoo movement. And casting turnover...

That dulled the show.

I am curious if NCIS: Hawaii does go to series. What it will differ except it will be on a island, and very different from the others. It can't be just another version of Hawaii 5-O.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:49 PM
Graphics Team Manager

It is a huge shame that NOLA has finally found its footing. Everything works & now we don't get more.

NOLA had a few issues in the background towards the start but so do other shows. Unfortunately for them they had their made public. It is a good thing that people are now more willing to speak up & the power is going more into the actors hands but negative press for a show isn't good. NCIS obviously had issues when it started out too, but was it publicized as much? Or continued to be mentioned? Of course its also been going for a lot longer than NOLA so the issues from the start are fresher in people's minds. But I feel like it had issues which have tainted the show while NCIS was able to move on from it... but then NCIS also only had Sasha leave, while NOLA had Zoe & Shalita possibly for backstage issues

NCIS: Hawaii is a in a tough spot. It has to be different to H50, NOLA, NCIS, & LA imo

Chelle » join GTmy art
Closed Thread   Post New Thread