Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2022, 12:45 PM
Master Fan

Oh that's too bad, keepsmiling that your husband has no spot to do stained glass, and the art people and wood people don't want glass in their studio! Especially as he raised so much for the Benevolent Fund last time. I think the place we're planning to move (hoping to move) has the same policy - they won't put you out on the street. And there's a costume shop across the street!

I'm sure you'll figure out some festive/funny outfit for your Halloween party! Enjoy!
I'm hoping we get some trick or treaters to give candy to. Last year a lot of them passed our house by, even though I have it decorated.

All the apartments at that CCRC have a little shelf outside the doors, I guess to put down packages etc while you unlock the door, but everybody has them decorated for the different holiday. It's very festive. So I can bring at least a few of my holiday decoration things when we go there. But I need to pare those down a lot too.

My cousin and her husband just downsized from a huge mansion to a 2-bed/2-bath house in Western MA near her son, and she had a nightmare of getting rid of things (at $700 per truckload) ad she sent me lots of advice to start now and do a little at a time.

Good advice! Have I taken it yet...
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
MyrnaLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 08:57 AM
Total Fan

ML..........Yes it is better to start downsizing now, at the end you might get in a rush and get rid of something you wished you would have saved. I know that happened to me. A lot of our stuff ended up in various grandchildren'ls homes. I still remember our oldest grandson driving off with a trailer full of bedroom furniture, table and chairs, freezer chest and lots of blankets, quilts, pillows, etc.

Time for lunch, hubby just returned from a World Wide Tour Seminar. Guess I missed that during my walk. I won't miss lunch though.
keepsmiling7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 02:23 PM
Master Fan

Our cable TV box started making a lot of noise - It had been noisy for awhile but recently it got louder. Husband got worried and turned it off at night, so it didn't burn down the house. I couldn't figure out what could be going on in there, as it's mostly electronics, didn't think it had moving parts. Anyway, I called them and then we brought the old box to the cable store, where the very nice (and bored) men there thought it might be the fan in the box going bad (who knew) and gave us a new box, and wire, and remote control. I came home and hooked everything up - and we are back in (TV) business again, and one less odd noise in our old house.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 11-08-2022, 02:27 PM
Total Fan

ML.....you took care of the cable box in fine fashion. Are you getting ready for a big Thanksgiving? Can't believe that we have already lived here over a year. I remember we had an outstanding Thanksgiving dinner here, and many families came to join in. Don't know what our family will be doing, but they will all be with us here for Christmas. I will get a suite at the Sheridan Hotel. The kids will all be picking up food at various locations on their way. We'll have presents then everyone will go on Christmas day to be with other families. We have to share!

HI PODMOM.......hope all is well in your world.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:45 PM
Master Fan

Sounds like wonderful holiday plans keepsmiling! I don't know if it's a big Thanksgiving, but usual sized. Mlette and her fiance are coming, and his mother - because his father goes hunting up at their cabin in Maine, every Thanksgiving! What is wrong with that man? I looked it up and deer season ends Nov 26, so I guess he wants to go before it gets over for the season? Strange man, I'd never put up with it.

My SIL from across the street is probably coming, along with her caretaker, but we're not sure about that yet. Oh the big news is, she liked the assisted living apartment and the place and agreed to move there so she might be going there next month (we can't wait). It's just in the next town; I wouldn't mind visiting her there.

Funny, my best friend and her fellow went to look at a CCRC in Florida near them, and he really liked it, and is all gung-ho to move there now! They are going for one of those 'try it out' weekends. It would be funny if she ends up moving to that place before we do, when we've been interested/on the list for a few years already (because Mr ML is NOT ready to move there or gung-ho). And she has a lot of energy and has already started getting rid of things to downsize too.

I'd be very happy not to make Thanksgiving dinner - or do it up there instead; I think they have family party spaces available. I know my daughter is never going to make Thanksgiving dinner, because she's not a big cook and she's also a vegetarian, and would never cook a turkey. Speaking of turkey, we need to buy one - Thanksgiving is in 2 weeks! (Except in Canada, when it was in October already).
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 11-12-2022, 02:59 PM
Total Fan

ML......you mentioned that your daughter would never do the big Thanksgiving dinner, well she isn't the only one. We have so many families that come here to eat with the residents that they had to make changes this year. Each apartment can invite only 2 guests, they have to turn in the reservation a week before Thanksgiving, and the guest charge is $19 per person. This may slow down some of the crowds. It appears that the younger generation is just not taking over this old tradition so MLette is part of the group. The usual charge per guest is $10 and the food is very good and worth it.

Good news about your SIL. Bet she will be pleased with her move once she is settled.
I'm guessing that PODMOM is getting ready to have a big Thanksgiving for her family.
Old 11-12-2022, 06:12 PM
Master Fan

It's true - it seems like young people for the most part aren't interested in cooking meals anymore. That's interesting keepsmiling that they had to limit the number of families coming to eat at your place (and raise the price, which is no surprise with this inflation).

In fact with this inflation/recession etc I'm starting to wonder if we can afford to move to that CCRC we've been planning on. They just raised their monthly fee 9% for first person, 3% for second person for next year. Probably raised the buy-in prices too.

I am hoping my SIL actually moves to that place and makes a good transition/is happy there.

Mr ML has a poker game the end of this week, so I can't really set up the table for Thanksgiving until after that.

Hope all is going well with Podmom and everybody else!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 11-17-2022, 06:37 AM
Total Fan

ML.....you are so right about the rising prices. We expect our rent to go up whatever the amount of SS increase is. That's how they made adjustments last year.

Fun times here, we've had a musical program with the local residents and recently had a holiday Bazaar. Today I have a resident's council meeting and this afternoon meet with the staff to train to show prospective new residents around the facility.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, and that just so happens to be hubby's birthday. We will take special refreshments to the Happy Hour Friday after Thanksgiving to celebrate his #87.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:42 PM
Master Fan

Happy birthday to your hubby Keepsmiling!

My friend and her fellow went to the CCRC they are interested and found out they don't have the money to move there. She was disappointed, but they did realize they liked the set up, if they can find one they can afford - might have to move to another state, though.

Sounds like you are busy and having a good time!

It looks like my SIL will be moving the first week of Dec to the assisted living place.
We will have to throw a party (to celebrate that she's moved)!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 11-20-2022, 09:36 AM
Total Fan

ML........it's nice that your SIL will finally be moving to assisted living. When I took a tour the other day of prospective new residents, one gentleman coming from Sun City asked how we knew it was the time to move. I said for us it was simple, we had a deep freeze in Feb. of 2021 and lived in an all electric house. I hope to never be that cold again! It was bad enough to be cold but be in the dark too. Besides with hubby's mobility issues this has been perfect for us.

Had a movie yesterday, the Tom Cruise new Top Gun. There was a big crowd for that. We had a health talk on "dementia" the day before. You'd be surprised how many residents here have a spouse in the facility close by for memory care. Our place has 60 acres connected with a wonderful walking path. The memory care, assisted living, skilled nursing facilities are close by but not in the same building.
Old 11-22-2022, 02:08 PM
Master Fan

I remember that deep freeze Keepsmiling as my son lost power/heat too. If they didn't have a gas stove (and her dad's house didn't have a generator) I don't know what they would have done. Sadly they also had a gas fireplace (they had never used) but didn't know where they'd put the 'key' that turned it on! They bought a generator of their own since then (and found the fireplace 'key').

That's when my Dad moved to assisted living - after the Hurricane when he lost power and sat in the dark (and FL heat) by himself behind the hurricane shutters and he realized he'd had enough of that - it was time! But he was almost 95 by then.

That Tom Cruise movie sounds like great fun - I heard it was very well received/made a ton of $. i don't know when we'll ever go to a movie (in a theater) again. As I've said, I'm, ready to move, Mr ML is still out playing.

Just found out my SIL is moving to the new place Dec 8.

Thanksgiving is fast approaching! I have to make pies tomorrow, and Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday. Mlette and her fiance and his mother are coming to dinner (and my SIL, although I'm not thrilled about having her). Hope it all goes well! The turkey is defrosting in the fridge. Despite all the talk about turkey shortages and high prices, we found what we were looking for at a good price (hope it's a good turkey)! I should be cleaning today (hahahah!)
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 11-25-2022, 07:41 AM
Total Fan

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Our dinner here was delicious, had all of the traditional dishes we love. Enjoyed sitting with other residents and sharing our previous holidays.

Hubby celebrated his birthday both Thanksgiving day and will celebrate again when his daughter comes over from Houston. He got tons of cards because they put birthdays in our local news letter. He loved that.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:37 PM
Master Fan

That's wonderful keepsmiling that everyone sent your husband cards for his birthday and he got to celebrate twice. Sounds like a wonderful meal.

MLette came over the day before T-day and helped me make pies and roast brussels sprouts. Everything went very well, it was a good Thanksgiving, although they had to leave early to beat the (early) sundown so his Mom wouldn't have to drive home in the dark to NH.

They came back (Mlette and John) for leftover Thanksgiving dinner lunch today, plus my husband's sister stopped by to visit our SIL across the street, before she moves to the Home in a few weeks. We had pie and tea and, again, they left on the early side, to get home before dark.

Now I have to put away the Thanksgiving decorations and bring out the winter/December/Hanukah things! :> And my son is coming to visit us in about 10 days (for a week). Keep hoping nothing comes up (wife putting herself in the hospital) to keep him from coming.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 11-29-2022, 06:18 AM
Elite Fan

Hey everyone

Hope you all had a wonderful thanksgiving!

MyrnaLynne I hope you enjoy the visit with your son!
Ekua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:55 AM
Total Fan

ML....you are so right, down with the Thanksgiving decorations. I'm in transition too and trying to get a start on shopping for our large family. Some things I ordered on-line have arrived and I've been able to get them wrapped.

We have lots of activities planned for the holidays here. The Sun City Rockettes are coming to perform tomorrow. Lots of church groups will bring Christmas music and programs. Our residents council will have a special party and I need to get gifts for the gift exchange. I don't think this is a white elephant exchange so I need to get more information.

Hello PODMOM......are you covered up with holiday plans and activities?
Reply   Post New Thread