Fan Forum Hero

Awesome!

~Heidi
Old 07-18-2021, 08:54 PM
Obsessed Fan

X
Old 07-18-2021, 09:58 PM
Elite Fan

All episodes of his new show are on peacock now! I’ll probably end up pirating it
Old 07-20-2021, 06:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetuned (View Post)
All episodes of his new show are on peacock now! I’ll probably end up pirating it
Awesome! Might be just the thing to binge watch while I'm off work

~Heidi
Old 07-21-2021, 08:53 PM
Obsessed Fan

X
Old 07-27-2021, 02:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I watched the first 3 episodes of Dr. Death, which are available on the free version of Peacock, and I'm ashamed to admit that I will probably pay for the service at least long enough to watch the rest. Yes, I got hooked.

It's actually pretty good. The only complaint I have is that the series begins near the end of the doctor's career - just before he loses his license and gets arrested. It then does all these flashbacks to show you his college years, and basically the rest of his past. Because Josh doesn't look a lot different in many of the flashbacks, it can be difficult to realize that it IS a flashback. I found myself getting confused frequently.

Josh does a good job depicting a man who obviously has some serious problems - either mental health issues or drugs or a bit of both. But he plays it with enough subtlety that you really aren't sure what is driving the character to do what he does. That keeps it pretty interesting.

~Heidi
Old 07-27-2021, 02:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I watched the first 3 episodes of Dr. Death, which are available on the free version of Peacock, and I'm ashamed to admit that I will probably pay for the service at least long enough to watch the rest. Yes, I got hooked.

It's actually pretty good. The only complaint I have is that the series begins near the end of the doctor's career - just before he loses his license and gets arrested. It then does all these flashbacks to show you his college years, and basically the rest of his past. Because Josh doesn't look a lot different in many of the flashbacks, it can be difficult to realize that it IS a flashback. I found myself getting confused frequently.

Josh does a good job depicting a man who obviously has some serious problems - either mental health issues or drugs or a bit of both. But he plays it with enough subtlety that you really aren't sure what is driving the character to do what he does. That keeps it pretty interesting.

~Heidi
Old 07-27-2021, 02:54 PM
Elite Fan

Wow! That seems interesting! I hate when you can’t tell what’s supposed to be a flashback and what isn’t, not to mention jumping on at a midway point of a characters arc
Old 07-28-2021, 01:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's particularly interesting to see all the hoops the two other doctors have to jump through to get anyone in the medical community or the state oversight boards to do anything at all about a doctor who is a menace to his patients. It's just mind-boggling that he was allowed to continue to practice - and perform surgery - for so long.

I'm the child of a doctor, and I'm the first one to defend them - to stress that they are human just like the rest of us and are subject to stress and illness and just having a bad day. They make mistakes sometimes, no matter how much they try not to. No good doctor is unaware of how important it is for them NOT to make mistakes that can cost people their lives. But sometimes they can be worse than police in how they protect their own. The show really points out how the medical community can close ranks and exploit loopholes in order to protect one of their own.

~Heidi
Old 07-28-2021, 03:40 PM
Elite Fan

You definitely have a point in that. Whether it’s law enforcement or the health industry they’ll pull out all the stops to cover up or avert attention
Old 07-28-2021, 10:13 PM
Obsessed Fan

Thanks for the update!

Yeah, doctors defend their own. That's not because they are mean or they think they should be above consequences, but because that's human nature. We are loyal to our tribes and the more difficult, stressful and full of life/death decisions a "tribe" is responsible for, the tighter and more defensive it becomes. The problem is that some awful people can cause a lot of damage to lives and the reputation of the whole institution if bad doctors are allowed to thrive.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

While I understand the need to protect one's "tribe", with those two groups especially, they also take oaths to protect everyone. So when one of their own violates that oath, it just surprises me that more of their peers don't want to do what's necessary to get that person out of the ranks.

~Heidi