Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Elite Fan

Nikki Blonsky News Thread #23 || Because with a new project and a new boyfriend Nikki B. is on a roll!

Nikki Blonsky News Thread #23

Welcome to the News thread. Come here for all the latest in Nikki News

Videos

Interview

PopStar! Inteview

Interview

Upcoming Appearances

Quote:
Featuring Nikki Blonsky, star of the 2007 film revival of Hairspray playing Tracy Turnblad, for which she won a Critic’s Choice Award for “Best Young Actress” and “Best Ensemble.” Nikki also starred in the Lifetime original movie Queen Sized and has appeared in several TV series, including Ugly Betty. Her first solo appearance was with The Turtle Creek Chorale, the renowned Dallas-based men’s chorus. Nikki appears as Dolores in the 2011 film Waiting For Forever.

Men Alive is pleased to be collaborating with Nikki on several song and dance selections from Hairspray.

You Can't Stop the Beat! Join us for our high-octane, rock n' roll party, mixing the glitz and glamour of two Broadway classics. You'll dance, you'll swing, and you'll jive to this fast and furious show featuring dazzling dancing, beautiful ballads, and sensational surprises. Get ready for some hot summer nights full of big hair and big dreams because rock 'n roll is here to stay!

Fri & Sat, July 15 & 16, 2011
The Irvine Barclay Theatre
Men Alive - The Orange County Gay Men's Chorus

Pictures

The Young Hollywood Awards

ABC Family Upfronts

Millions for Milkshakes

GLAAD Awards

Toy Story 3 Premiere

The View

Promoting Huge

Huge Book Signing

Teen Choice Awards 2010

New York Fashion Week

Alzheimer Telethon

"High" Broadway Opening Night

SVEDKA Vodka Presents The Innovative Artists' Upfronts

8th Annual GLSEN Respect Awards Gala

Bette Midler's New York Restoration Project's 10th annual spring picnic at Gracie Mansion

News/Projects

Announcements Coming Soon

Interviews

Quote:
"... The 21-year-old Blonsky, who is content to be plus size and fun size (she towers at 4’11”) talked ‘Huge’ on and off the small screen and how jaded she really isn’t by Hollywood standards.
“I just adore her,” Blonsky says of her character. “Like Will, I’m not as naïve as Tracy,” she says of her inaugural spin on Hairspray’s Turnblad.
“(To Tracy) the world was amazing, and everything was so fresh and so clean and I wanted to make the world a better place—and I still do. I still hold that quality of Tracy in me,” she shares.
“But I’ve been around a few years now, and I’m a little smarter. I get the game now. That’s where I connect with Will,” Blonsky says. “I see through people.” ...
Read More

Quote:
“I totally advocate being who you are, loving who you are, live and let live,” Nikki told Crushable, while speaking to reporters today. “Just love what God gave you because God gave it to you for a reason…I’m meant to be a 4-foot-10 plus size actress and I’m perfectly okay and happy with that. If we all accept who we are and love who we are we’ll all be okay.”
Read More

Quote:
TVF: What's the target audience for Huge?
Nikki: It's a show for everybody. No one in this world can say they have never had a body issue. The series also deals with other life challenges, such as eating disorders and sexual orientation. There's something for everyone.
Read More

Quote:
There’s been some chatter on blogs about the fact that everyone on “Huge” in plus-sized. From my point of view, as a blogger, I see people wondering if the show is going to stereotype women of size. How, as someone on the show, do you make sure you’re not perpetuating stereotypes?

The thing is, everybody forgets plus-size people are just people. We’re people! We. Are. People. We have the same feelings, we deal with the same issues that people who are a size 2, a size 4 and a size 6 are. We go through relationship problems, we go through friendship issues, we go through everything. Breakups, make-ups. Every single issue skinny people go through, plus-size people go through, too. We’re all human beings and we have to remember that our looks are something that are only with us for a certain time. It’s our spirit that people will remember us for as time goes on and we grow older.

I’m actually looking in the mirror right now and I know that in 10 years, I won’t look like this. I’ll look 31, not 21. So I think people will just become so invested in our characters and what’s going on in the show and what’s going on in the characters. They’re not going to really even be noticing that we’re plus-size, other than the fact we look more like your neighbors or the people you go to school with, rather than the fake facades of what Hollywood has said everybody should look like.
Read More

Quote:
Speaking out of the earshot of the play's writers, Nora and Delia Ephron, Blonsky began to talk about her own relationship to her clothing.

Blonsky immediately recalled the memory of one of her first gowns—her high school prom dress. The gown was a “gorgeous ivory white dress with gold,” she said, but admitted she had to lose 65 pounds to fit in it. Needless to say, a determined Blonsky worked hard and reached her goal to fit back into the dress.

The most memorable part about her “lucky dress” was finding out the day before her prom that she had gotten her debut role in “Hairspray.” Prior to this, Blonsky did not wear many dresses and now, Blonsky smiled and said, “I have been wearing dresses ever since.”
Speak, Mammary: 500th Performance Of Love, Loss and What I Wore

Quote:
Because the work is resonant for all things girlie, especially wardrobe, it is easy for audiences to remember that special dress they cherished, that hideous hat they hated and were forced to wear by protective moms. Nikki Blonsky said she had a dress that she lost 65 pounds to wear; now her clothes are custom made. The Hairspray film star in her stage debut now wants to play, if she could only grow taller and older, Mary Poppins. Are there any producers in the house?
Regina Weinreich: Off-Broadway: Love, Loss, and What I Wore, The Divine Sister, You've Got Hate Mail

Quote:
After dancing from teenage ice cream shop server to overnight movie star thanks to the 2007 film adaptation of Hairspray, it seemed inevitable that Nikki Blonsky would end up on the New York stage. However, post-Hairspray the charming young actress moved on to weight-sensitive projects such as Queen Sized and TV’s Huge. Now the Long Island native is finally making her way to the theater scene as part of the January cast of off-Broadway fashion-centric hit Love, Loss and What I Wore. Broadway.com caught up with Blonsky to talk about Hairspray memories, her own personal style and her future in Hollywood.

Love, Loss and What I Wore marks your New York stage debut. Congratulations!
Thanks! Since I did the Hairspray movie, every time I’d come back to New York people would ask, “Oh, are you going to do theater here any time soon?” Nothing presented itself that I was really in tune with, but once I saw Love, Loss and What I Wore, I was like, “I have to be in this!” [Former cast member and Grease film star] Didi Conn told me it’s so much fun, and I love musicals because of her, so I was like “OK, I’m taking Didi Conn’s advice!”

Do you have any clothing-related memories?
My grandmother’s ring was given to me the day she passed away, and that’s something I’ll have with me the rest of my life. I’ve actually snuck it in and worn it in movies. It has an M on it, because her name is Margaret, and it’s something I’ll pass down to my children. Every time I look down at my hand, there’s my nanny right there!

How would you describe your own style?
Being a New Yorker, not to be cliché, I wear a lot of black. I have a very curvy and voluptuous figure so I accentuate that and I’m not afraid to wear a belt to show my waist. I like to wear a lot of sweaters, nothing too thick, but the very dainty, pretty ones. I just like to look New York chic, but not overdone because that can get annoying.

You starred in the ABC Family original series Huge this past summer. What was that experience like?
I loved the show and everything it stood for. The title and the writers were genius. I loved the character I was playing because she was so different from me and not just the obvious [style choices] of her electric blue hair and boy clothes. It really gave the plus-sized community a show they could tune into every week and feel comfortable watching. Unfortunately, I don’t know if the world wasn’t ready or the media wasn’t ready, but the show was canceled. I have faith that in the future another show will come along where I will be able to celebrate my body and who I am.

After Hairspray and Huge, do you feel you're being typecast in plus-sized roles?
I have a new film coming out in February called Waiting for Forever with Rachel Bilson and Blythe Danner. I auditioned to play a young mom, a role that had nothing to do with being plus-sized, and I got it. That was the first moment I said, “I’m not always going to be typecast.” [Director] James Keach really gave me faith and hope that I will not always be put in the corner and pulled out when a movie needs a cute, funny plus-sized girl. I’m always down for those roles, but there’s so much more depth to me. I think when people see me in Love, Loss and What I Wore they’re going to forget that I’m a plus-sized woman and see me as a character full of emotion.

Were you upset that plans for a Hairspray sequel were scrapped?
I love Hairspray so much. It’s just magical to me. I would just die to work with John Travolta again. We’re very close, and I still speak to him all the time. Same with Amanda Bynes and Zac Efron, which I know girls will like to hear. It was such a fun, life-changing experience for all of us.

So what’s it like making out with Zac Efron?
Well, it wasn’t a hard day at the office [laughs]. He’s a wonderful guy and very talented. I’ll leave it at that!
Broadway.com | What's Up, Nikki Blonsky? The Love, Loss Star on Her Stage Debut and Kissing Zac Efron

Quote:
"I just feel so blessed to be a part of this show with these women." exclaims Blonsky, who entered the cast this January. "I think the beauty of having a rotating cast is that the stories have a different personality when they're told by different people that bring their own personal stories to it." says producer Daryl Roth. "Women in the audience (and men in the audience) relate to things differently so the dynamic changes with every cast. Plus it has – for me – the great joy of being able to employ so many great women."
Five-Hundred Performances and Eighteen Casts

Quote:
Following last week's New York stage debut of Nora and Delia Ephron's Love, Loss, and What I Wore, Nikki Blonsky -- of "Hairspray" and "Huge" fame -- spills about the commute, her cast mates, Didi Conn and having her own doll. She plans to follow her run in the show with a trip to Gainesville, Fla., to participate in PALS at Shands Children's Hospital -- a teen-mentoring program that came in second for the Noble Peace Prize this year -- which she's been a part of for the past three years. We think those kids are in for a welcome show of support and, of course, some Cold Stone-inspired show tunes.

Let's talk cast camaraderie. We chatted with your cast mate Alexis Bledel about her experience. How do you feel you and the other women in the show have bonded?
The minute Alexis and I met, we were just talking and the conversation didn't stop! [Laughs] And Judy Gold is really great, doesn't let anyone get away with anything. Anita [Gillette] -- I want to hug her every time I see her. She reminds me of family and has a warm maternal quality about her. And Pauletta [Pearson Washington] is one of my girlfriends. I can just chat with her about boys and whatever the case may be.

What made you decide to do the show?
I went to see it when Didi Conn and Loretta Swit were in it and after the show Didi came out -- who I've idolized since I was young and saw "Grease" -- and she said, "You have to do it!" When Didi says it, it helps a lot.

So now you're nearly a permanent New Yorker.
I had that period when I would come in for auditions and trucking back and forth, but this is much more intense. This is every day. And I love New York City -- it's truly the city that never sleeps!

Any favorite snack spots?
I love Vynl -- it's one of my favorite restaurants, and not only because my best friend takes me there and not just because they have my "Hairspray" doll.

Wait -- hold up! You have a doll?
I wave at myself! [Laughs] It was definitely a shock. My friend didn't tell me, but I look and was like, "Oohhh! Well, that's cool." I went about my business, but it's definitely an interesting experience.

Anywhere else?
Love Crumbs cupcakes -- I just can't get enough. The white chocolate is just out of this world; it's ridiculous.

We heard a little rumor you were working at Cold Stone before your "Hairspray" debut.
Yes! I worked there for a year and a half. I got the call that I got "Hairspray" when I was working one of my shifts!

Did you ever sing for tips?
Yes!

Any favorite requests?
From David Letterman -- on the air, live!
Talking Shop With Actress Nikki Blonsky | City's Best

Quote:
Anyone helping to change the way we feel about beauty – particularly plus-sized beauty – is a Real Beauty in our book, and Nikki Blonsky is certainly no exception. We first met the star (you likely know her best as Tracy Turnblad from Hairspray) at the OneStopPlus fashion show (the first plus-sized runway show to show during Fashion Week) this past September and we were instantly impressed. With her Huge (literally) billboard in Times Square (bathing suit clad, no less), we knew this was a girl whose confidence we coveted, whose message we subscribed to and whose presence we wanted to be in. And while Huge, with its plus-sized cast, was canceled shortly thereafter, Nikki is nevertheless on to big things. Currently starring on Broadway in Love, Loss, and What I Wore and with an upcoming role in Waiting For Forever (staring Rachel Bilson), Nikki is no doubt a Real Beauty.

We sat down with Nikki Blonsky and asked her to weigh in on Real Beauty

What do you think makes someone beautiful?
I define beauty as how you feel about yourself when you wake up in the morning. You know, how you feel about your personality – I think personality is truly what drives someone with their beauty – it defines beauty. We have to remember that as we get older, beauty fades but personality stays and that’s the one thing you have to remember – your looks will go away but people will remember you for your personality.

How do you deal with the pressure for body perfection in our culture?
Well, I feel very blessed that in my life I’ve had various roles that have come into my life – and changed my life with regard to my body image– but I think it’s what I’ve done after with them that helps the most. Speaking with kids about being plus-sized and it being okay and, you know, I just think that in my industry, if I were a size zero, I’d just be competing against all the other size zeros. But there are a lot less size 18s or size 16s, like myself, so I’m really not competing against a lot more girls. So, in my field, I’m kinda happy!

If you could give your younger self advice about beauty, what would it be?
I always say I don’t have any regrets, so I think I always listen to my mom…but I would always just say that I would probably tell myself to listen to my mom a little bit more because she was right about everything. She always says “mothers are always right” and I always said, “mom, no you’re wrong” and I’m going to be 22 and you know what, she’s 100% right.

What is your one, can’t-live-without-it beauty product?
Right now I’m really, really loving St. Ives. I just came across it because my mom bought it because she’s doing the whole “I’m getting wrinkles junk” – and I’m like “no you’re not” – and she bought this St. Ives lotion. And now I use it every day and it’s made my skin unbelievably firm and beautiful. So, I’m just a big fan of St. Ives right now.
nikki-blonsky-on-real-beauty from thebeautybean.com - StumbleUpon

Quote:
My favorite Broadway Love song is "So In Love" from Kiss Me Kate. I love it because I love Cole Porter’s music and I played Kate in a high school production of Kiss Me Kate and singing "So In Love" made me feel so full of emotion and true love.

Read more: Nikki Blonsky Favorite Love Song (BroadwayWorld.com)
Quote:
Nikki Blonsky: "I just lost 20 pounds. I'm very conscious of what's in my mouth. But I don't even care about a boyfriend anymore. I'm only interested in my dogs. They mean everything to me."

Read more: High celeb turnout for Turner - NYPOST.com
Quote:
Hairspray’ actress Nikki Blonsky is lucky in love — and gushed about her new beau — exclusively to Micah Jesse!

“We’re [just] having fun. We met four years ago… We were friends four years ago. Then, I was doing press for ‘Hairspray’ and I was all over the World and we really hadn’t seen each other until last month… He initiated, and I was like, alright, let’s go! I’m down,” Nikki gushed to MJ about boyfriend Tommy. “He’s really nice. He is wonderful! He treats me better than any guy ever has. I feel like a Queen in his arms.”

The 22-year-old actress wasn’t the only one celebrating love on Monday night, however. Her parents, who are celebrating their 23rd wedding anniversary, took the whole fam (including Nikki’s new squeeze) to a vivacious dinner at brand new NYC hot spot restaurant Apl.

“My dad’s favorite thing is the CRUMBS Collossal Cake, so I had them deliver one. And I surprised my Mom with orchids,” Nikki told MJ. And for Father’s Day? It looks like Nikki and Pops will be spending it doing what they love doing most — fishing and BBQ’ing.

Nikki’s Summer plans? “I have some exciting stuff going on. In July, I will be in Orange County, CA to do the Men Alive gay men’s choir. This time the show is called ‘Greasy Hairspray’…it’s going to be a good time! I am singing all the ‘Hairspray’ songs with the men’s choir. It’s me with a bunch of beautiful men — I couldn’t ask for anything better!”

And up next for the smiley star?

“I’ve been given lots of excellent scripts lately… I can’t really say too much about it, but it might be me reuniting with another character from ‘Hairspray’…” she hinted. She was adamant the reunion will not be with John Travolta, although she said “maybe some day.”

So who could it be? Zac Efron? Michelle Pfeiffer? Christopher Walken? James Marsden? Amanda Bynes? Queen Latifah??? We’re running out of guesses here…

Guess we’ll have to wait and see!
Hairspray’s Nikki Blonsky Talks New Love With Micah Jesse! – EXCLUSIVE : MicahJesse.com | Celebrity News, Entertainment, Fashion + Latest Trends from Micah Jesse - The Georgia Peach, In The Big Apple!

Nikki's Charities

Camp Shane's Nikki Blonsky Scholarship

DoSomething.org's Jeans for Teens

Get The Latest News on 'Huge on Facebook and Twitter

Huge | Facebook

Huge (ABCFhuge) on Twitter

Keep Up With Waiting for Forever News on Facebook!

Waiting For Forever | Facebook

Check Out Nikki's Official Website!

Nikki Blonsky--The Official Website

Follow Nikki on Twitter!

Nikki Blonsky (NikkiBlonsky) on Twitter

NZ | Icon by Shelle

Last edited by ButterflyBabe; 06-08-2011 at 09:27 PM
Old 06-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Absolute Fan

Woot!
I’m actually looking in the mirror right now and I know that in 10 years, I won’t look like this. I’ll look 31, not 21. It’s our spirit that people will remember us for as time goes on and we grow older.-Nikki Blonsky
Old 06-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Master Fan

love the title

from Fairy Tail
Hottest Dragon Slayer
Old 06-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Elite Fan

I just took like an hour and updated the OP. So. Much. Formatting.
NZ | Icon by Shelle
Old 06-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Absolute Fan

Well done Mel So excited for her. I agree..something with Jimmy would be awesome
I’m actually looking in the mirror right now and I know that in 10 years, I won’t look like this. I’ll look 31, not 21. It’s our spirit that people will remember us for as time goes on and we grow older.-Nikki Blonsky
Old 06-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Elite Fan

I feel sort of weird posting this in here, but Nikki made Page Six with her new boyfriend

Quote:
"Hairspray" star Nikki Blonsky has landed a new boyfriend, aspiring model and actor Tommy Potoeski. The curvy actress was spotted smooching Potoeski outside Lower East Side eatery APL on Monday. Potoeski, 25, joined Blonsky and her parents, Karen and Carl, to celebrate their 23rd wedding anniversary over a four-hour dinner. Blonsky's rep confirmed the two are dating. Potoeski has numerous photos flaunting his abs on Modelmayhem.com.

Read more: Nikki Blonsky and new boyfriend Tommy Potoeski smooch outside of APL on the Lower East Side - NYPOST.com
We just need to make a Nikki/Random Hot Guys thread.
NZ | Icon by Shelle
Old 06-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for updating the OP Mel, I owe you

It's so weird to me how the new boyfriend thing is such big news, tbh but good for her
Old 06-09-2011, 12:33 AM
Elite Fan

You do.

I think part of it is the 'wow a plus sized girl can have a model boyfriend.' but hey it's true so it's good people can see that.
NZ | Icon by Shelle
Old 06-09-2011, 06:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the new thread Mel

Shelle
Old 06-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Elite Fan

No problem.

Geez it hit People.

Nikki Blonsky Dating Tommy Potoeski : People.com
NZ | Icon by Shelle
Old 06-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Elite Fan

Wow. It hit People. That's a bit much.

The OP looks great, btw!

[ Sasha MJ
-I l o v e y o u m o r e. ]
Old 06-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah it really is a bit much.

Thanks!
NZ | Icon by Shelle
Old 06-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Elite Fan

They're cute pictures though I'm really happy for her.

[ Sasha MJ
-I l o v e y o u m o r e. ]
Old 06-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Elite Fan

Judging by her twitter right now she seems really happy which is wonderful to hear.
NZ | Icon by Shelle
Old 06-10-2011, 05:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

She does seem really happy and they make a cute couple

Shelle