Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2021, 03:20 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyQ (View Post)
I think Esta coming out of the shadows has also helped us keep the conversation going!

They did another return to Budapest in 1997 but it was all sets. Edmund and Tad dressed up as women to get in the country and get Maddie back. I remember wishing Gillian had gone with them. It would've made sense. She could've helped them sneak into Dimitri's castle and help hide them. Instead she stayed behind and that's when she got arrested with Kelsey.

I always imagine them going on their honeymoon and running into Gillian's father and drama steaming from that. Another thing we were cheated out of.
I've seen photos of those Tad and Edmund scenes but I can't remember seeing the scenes themselves. I didn't know they were in Budapest... interesting. Gillian could've gone then too.

Yup, that could of been their next storyline. They ended up writing that Ryan found out about his "dad" Chris Stamp shortly after that too but then McTavish undid that when she came back. Although maybe it wouldn't of worked as well with Michael Nadar gone and them getting rid of Dimitri, but they still could of done it. Heck they could of gone off on an adventure looking for Dimitri and found Gillian's father.

Gothic Marrick intrigue in Budapest would've been so much better than Ryan getting Liza pregnant or whatever else I erased from my mind that happened.

The only decent thing about that story is seeing old faces like Jesse, Natalie, Cindy etc. but I'd much rather have Gillian back alive of course. Those people still could of visited others as ghosts LOL. Jesse hung around after Gillian and was paling with Tad.

I thought it was sort of interesting that going back to even watching their FIRST wedding night before they were actually in love, they talked about going back to each other's home towns for a real honeymoon and neither time did it happen.

Last edited by tslpsh; 12-16-2021 at 03:26 AM
Old 12-16-2021, 06:26 PM
Elite Fan

All your ideas sound so fun and instead we got Gillian being a ghost for the whole summer. Ugh.

Gillian being involved with whatever was going on with Dimitri and Edmund was always great. They sort of stepped away from that when Ryan came into the picture.

That is interesting about seeing each other's hometowns. They talked a lot about the future and having kids together and growing old together. It seems like the only thing that came true is Gillian thinking they were star-crossed.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:03 AM
Loyal Fan

After it awhile, even the writers didn't seem to know what they were doing with ghost Gillian. I too would of liked her to have more with Dimitri and Edmund. They dropped her schooling too. They had her try out for weather girl, but then Agnes Nixon came in and made her a Candy stripper. I don't know maybe McTavish wasn't interested in exploring Gillian's career and family as much.

I'm putting this under a spoiler tag, as it's a lot.

"Whether I'm near you, or I'm away from you. It's all torture."

Spoiler:
Old 12-17-2021, 10:04 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think they changed head writers during the ghost storyline and that's one of the reasons it was such a mess. In her exit interview, I remember Esta saying the new writer really didn't want it. I don't blame the person. It was horrible.

On a happier note, I LOVE the blackout scenes. It starts off hilarious with Gillian trying to iron, burning her hand, and then hitting Ryan in the head when the lights went out, but then it becomes so romantic with her admitting she still loves him and him saying she's in every single one of his dream Damn Joe had to ruin it lol.
Old 12-20-2021, 11:42 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslpsh (View Post)
After it awhile, even the writers didn't seem to know what they were doing with ghost Gillian. I too would of liked her to have more with Dimitri and Edmund. They dropped her schooling too. They had her try out for weather girl, but then Agnes Nixon came in and made her a Candy stripper. I don't know maybe McTavish wasn't interested in exploring Gillian's career and family as much.

I'm putting this under a spoiler tag, as it's a lot.

"Whether I'm near you, or I'm away from you. It's all torture."

Spoiler:
I always thought it was weird how they just dropped her going to school. They did have her mention Scott tutoring her when she was trying to make Ryan jealous. Wasn't there also mention of her maybe becoming a nurse? Iirc it was just once and obviously nothing came of it. Sort of seems like they didn't know what they were doing with Gillian in general. I don't know why. Personally I think her background was a lot more interesting than Ryan's.

Love those gifs. The blackout has become one of my favourite scenes.
Old 12-23-2021, 10:23 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think Gillian was very nurturing but not meant to be a nurse. I mean she almost poured acid on her hand that one time lol.

I was really behind on General Hospital and I just caught up. They had two characters get stuck in a sauna (not Cameron's character) and it was very similar to when Ryan and Gillian got stuck in a sauna. I feel like whoever wrote that scene maybe got the idea from them. I've only ever watched AMC & GH. Is getting stuck in a sauna a common thing on soaps lol?
Old 12-23-2021, 10:42 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

The only soaps I watched were AMC and OLTL, and Ryan/Gillian were the only couple I remember getting stuck in a sauna. If it didn't happen more, I'm surprised cause it's an easy way for them to get naked. Then again, at the same time it can quickly get dangerous and deadly lol.
Old 12-24-2021, 06:55 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyQ (View Post)
I think Gillian was very nurturing but not meant to be a nurse. I mean she almost poured acid on her hand that one time lol.

I was really behind on General Hospital and I just caught up. They had two characters get stuck in a sauna (not Cameron's character) and it was very similar to when Ryan and Gillian got stuck in a sauna. I feel like whoever wrote that scene maybe got the idea from them. I've only ever watched AMC & GH. Is getting stuck in a sauna a common thing on soaps lol?
I saw that scene with Chase and Brook Lynn. Weird as heck she was wearing a blazar in a hot steam room, but yes I got flashbacks of Ryan and Gillian's hot sauna scenes too... of course the R&G versions were way better, in dialogue, sexual tension, chemistry etc. The Chase and BL scene just came across as sort of goofy and silly which undercut any sexual tension there was suppose to be.

I ran across some Robert and Holly scenes on youtube in a sauna, but I can't remember from the soaps off of the top of my head other steam room moments. I do know AMC had Tad and Dixie stuck in a bath room at one point in towels, and there was a Liz and Lucky scene years ago where they were both in towels upstairs at Kelly's because for some reason there was only one shower there.

I don't think there are any of the old AMC writers over on GH now, but some have said these writers like to go to youtube and rewrite old dialogue in the show. Some Robert and Anna and Duke and Anna fans pointed out they stole old dialogue from old couples of those couples and used it for Anna and Finn. They have Spencer and Trina mimicing old Nikolas and Gia moments yet they refuse to acknowledge on screen that Trina is Gia's aunt who used to date Spencer's father, but whatever.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:27 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrey (View Post)
I always thought it was weird how they just dropped her going to school. They did have her mention Scott tutoring her when she was trying to make Ryan jealous. Wasn't there also mention of her maybe becoming a nurse? Iirc it was just once and obviously nothing came of it. Sort of seems like they didn't know what they were doing with Gillian in general. I don't know why. Personally I think her background was a lot more interesting than Ryan's.

Love those gifs. The blackout has become one of my favourite scenes.
I think she dropped the medical thing after the break up with Jake. I never really bought the whole Gillian wants to be a Martin thing much anyway. Although I do remember after they got back together, when Ryan said that seeing Gillian in her candy striper uniform made him want to 'unwrap you like a piece of candy'. They had her be a waitress for like a couple episodes. IA that Lorraine Broderick gave Gillian a rich background that I wish they would of done more with.

Some Christmas gifs

Spoiler:

Last edited by tslpsh; 12-24-2021 at 08:51 AM
Old 12-24-2021, 01:04 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I saw that scene with Chase and Brook Lynn. Weird as heck she was wearing a blazar in a hot steam room, but yes I got flashbacks of Ryan and Gillian's hot sauna scenes too... of course the R&G versions were way better, in dialogue, sexual tension, chemistry etc. The Chase and BL scene just came across as sort of goofy and silly which undercut any sexual tension there was suppose to be.

I ran across some Robert and Holly scenes on youtube in a sauna, but I can't remember from the soaps off of the top of my head other steam room moments. I do know AMC had Tad and Dixie stuck in a bath room at one point in towels, and there was a Liz and Lucky scene years ago where they were both in towels upstairs at Kelly's because for some reason there was only one shower there.

I don't think there are any of the old AMC writers over on GH now, but some have said these writers like to go to youtube and rewrite old dialogue in the show. Some Robert and Anna and Duke and Anna fans pointed out they stole old dialogue from old couples of those couples and used it for Anna and Finn. They have Spencer and Trina mimicing old Nikolas and Gia moments yet they refuse to acknowledge on screen that Trina is Gia's aunt who used to date Spencer's father, but whatever.
They need to get better writers if they can't think of their own material and need to steal from past soap scenes. The only thing I like about this is it means they're watching Ryan & Gillian scenes, and I'm hoping they like what they seem enough to hire Esta.

Back to Ryan & Gillian, I love the gifs. Makes me sad they only have 3 Christmases together
Old 12-24-2021, 04:18 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

I don't remember them having so many nice Christmas moments. I love the one where Gillian is wearing the reindeer antlers, how cute lol.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:44 AM
Elite Fan

I think the antlers were from Jake?

I hope you guys had a Merry Christmas and ate, drank and got lots of good stuff.

Quote:
I think she dropped the medical thing after the break up with Jake. I never really bought the whole Gillian wants to be a Martin thing much anyway. Although I do remember after they got back together, when Ryan said that seeing Gillian in her candy striper uniform made him want to 'unwrap you like a piece of candy'. They had her be a waitress for like a couple episodes. IA that Lorraine Broderick gave Gillian a rich background that I wish they would of done more with.

Some Christmas gifs

Spoiler:
I could buy Gillian being attracted to that stability she never had but to the point where she picks it over Ryan? Heck no. And I absolutely love Ryan/Gillian but boy it would have been so nice to see her achieve some goals and dreams that were not so closely tied to the man she was with. Ryan, Jake or otherwise.

And you brought presents! They really did have lots of lovely Christmas moments. That third to last one? Ryan looks so coy and excited giving her the cameo. I never noticed that. That's sweet.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:27 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrey (View Post)
I think the antlers were from Jake?

I hope you guys had a Merry Christmas and ate, drank and got lots of good stuff.

I could buy Gillian being attracted to that stability she never had but to the point where she picks it over Ryan? Heck no. And I absolutely love Ryan/Gillian but boy it would have been so nice to see her achieve some goals and dreams that were not so closely tied to the man she was with. Ryan, Jake or otherwise.

And you brought presents! They really did have lots of lovely Christmas moments. That third to last one? Ryan looks so coy and excited giving her the cameo. I never noticed that. That's sweet.
I hope you and everyone else had a great holiday, too.

Yes, exactly. Gillian having personal ambitions outside of her love interest that weren't so tied to who her love interest was would of been great. I think that was my problem with it. That and it seemed over compensating that this worldly somewhat haughty spoiled girl suddenly was happy being a home body, melding into the background. It seemed too much of a character change. I think she would need something that was more challenging at the end of the day. I enjoyed her 2 second stint as the weather girl even if it didn't turn out well.

You make a good point about Gillian looking for some sense of belonging and stability and a family unit. Especially after Dimitri 'died'. There was a great scene where she mentioned always feeling like an outsider, her father rejected her then she was in a new country where English was a second language.

Actually, one of my favorite R&G scenes was the second sauna scene. Who ever wrote the dialogue that day was on fire. There was great banter, but also great insight into the characters. Ryan mentioned in that scene how he and Gillian were both outsiders, and that's what drew them together. I was glad to hear him say that after a year of him acting like he was too messed up to Gillian, and only Hayley understood him cause she had a messed up childhood like he did.

Last edited by tslpsh; 12-29-2021 at 11:28 AM
Old 12-29-2021, 05:34 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

I don't remember much of what Gillian did outside of Ryan, but if that's true I hate that. I hate when women have no outside life or storyline outside of their love interest. It didn't seem as bad as other pairings I've seen though cause Gillian was such a spicy firecracker that didn't let anyone dictate her or what she does at the same time. So she didn't seem stifled with Ryan. I don't remember much from her relationship with Jake but I wouldn't be surprised if that relationship suppressed her. Especially seeing how she just SETTLED with thinking her quick pregnancy was his and let her tell him she can't get an abortion. WTF? "Take your muscles and sit over there." lol! They did always have the best banter, another thing I love with my couples.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:57 PM
Elite Fan

I watched it not that long ago and that whole thing with her wanting to be a perfect housewife really was a bit much. It almost made me uncomfortable. It's just such an outdated view for any woman but, like you said, especially one as worldly and vivacious as Gillian.

Since you mentioned it, I get what they were going for with Ryan and Hayley but it always felt so forced. And I don't even remember how it ended exactly. Didn't she just suddenly decide she didn't want him anymore?

Gillian and Ryan had some great moments in saunas. I guess it's a fitting setting for them. Steamy.

Esta's reading of that line in the gif and that little move she pulls when she says muscles is genuinely one of my favourite things.