Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2004, 04:28 PM
Obsessed Fan

+ from The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen:

"Then, about a year and a half too late, it hit me. I was never going to be perfect. And what had all my efforts gotten me, really, in the end? A boyfriend who pushed me away the minute I cracked, making the mistake of being human. Great grades that would still never be good enough for girls who Knew Everything. A quiet, still life, free of any risks, and so many sleepless nights to spend within it, my heart heavy, keeping secrets my sister had empowered herself by telling. This life was fleeting, and I was still searching for the way I wanted to spend it that would make me happy, full, okay again. I didn't know what it was, not yet. But something told me I wouldn't find it here."

+ from White Oleander by Janet Fitch:

"Tell me you would sacrifice the rest of your life to have me back the way I was."

"He stared at me all the time. I felt his eyes while I painted. But it didn't bother me, Paul Trout's intense, blinkless stare. It wasn't like the boys in the senior classroom, their stares like a raid, moist, groping, more than a little hostile. This was an artist's stare, attentive to detail, taking in the truth without preconceptions. It was a stare that didn't turn away when I stared back, but was startled to find itself returned."

+ from Broken Chords by Barbara Snow Gilbert:

"There's an advantage of her, my mom, being gone. I never had to worry, even once, about letting her down."

"I didn't want to hurt you -- but those doubts, they made me sick, real sick -- inside. ...the reality is much worse. Because I would have been miserable, smothered, by that life you planned for me, and eventually, I think -- I would have hated you for it."

"Passion. Had she ever truly had a passion for piano? Tashi had said, "You seemed to be having a very good time." But a very good time to a three-year-old was fun, not passion."

+ from Dancing on the Edge by Han Nolan:

"I don't want to be a miracle. I just want to be a girl. I just want to be normal."

"Dr. DeAngelis once said that we would be talking about love, what it means, how it feels. I told him I didn't believe in love. "You can't touch it, or see it," I had said ... "I won't believe what I can't see." He said, "Then believe what you feel."

+ from Lucas by Kevin Brooks:

"I wanted to look back. I was desperate to look back. But I couldn't. I was afraid he might not be there."

"All I can remember is a strange, buzzy feeling in my head, an intensity of excitement and sadness that I've never felt before and probably won't ever feel again."

"I closed my eyes and prayed for a nightmare. You can wake up from a nightmare."

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
22 Umbrellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:59 PM
New Fan

"...you can mourn the living, noah. i did. before i met my father. but that will take your soul. sooner or later, you have to come back..."

l.j.mckinley
Old 10-10-2004, 06:29 PM
LMS
Part-Time Fan

My fav Shakespeare quote (from Merchant of Venice)

"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?"
LMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Fan

From Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice

"You're a perfect devil, Lestat!" he was saying. "That's what you are! You are the devil himself!"

"Yes, I know," I said, loving to look at him, to see the anger pumping him so full of life. "And I love to hear you say it, Louis. I need to hear you say it. I don't think anyone will ever say it quite like you do. Come on, say it again. I'm a perfect devil. Tell me how bad I am. It makes me feel so good!"

And from Memnoch The Devil

"I am here, still, the hero of my own dreams, and let me please keep my place in yours. I am the Vampire Lestat. Let me pass now from fiction into legend."

I Lestat!

From Dune by Frank Herbert

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Suga*Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 07:04 PM
Part-Time Fan

ok this isn't quite as sophisticated as all the Shakespeare, but hey i think it's funny:

The First Discworld Novel, The Colour of Magic, by Terry Pratchett

(whilst Ankh-Morpork is up in flames)

"He started it," said Rincewind simply.
Bravd and Weasel looked at the figure, now hopping across the road with one foot still in his hourses stirrup.
"Fire-raiser, is he?" said Bravd at last.
"No," said Rincewind. "Not precisely. Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunder storm wearing wet copper armour and shouting "All the gods are bast**ds"."
Old 10-26-2004, 07:17 AM
Supreme Fan

amazing quotes everyone!
and I love Shakespeare too.. your posts remind me of this one that I love:

Lysander to Hermia: I mean that my heart into yours is knit, so that but one heart we can make of it.

Verses are the best
- Alex - is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Loyal Fan

Fight Club...one of my all time favorite books and movie. Edward Norton just captured the voice of the book, at least that's how I feel about it. If you haven't read it I'd recommend finding time. It's well worth it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Crossbow
"I'll not be sworn that Love may not transform me to an oyster, but I'll take my oath on it: until he make an oyster of me, he will never make me such a fool!"
Is this from Much Ado?

Everyone's got such nice quotes. Guess what, I'm gonna quote some Buffy. This is from Monster Island a Buffy/Angel crossover by Christopher Golden and Thomas E. Sniegoski. I read the book when I was going through some things with my parents and this one line just calmed me down and helped me look at my situation with a new perspective. Gotta love Lorne's char in that respect.

"Trust me, sometimes being a disappointment to your parents is the best thing you can do in life. I'm a planet-size disappointment to my family, and, wow, thank goodness for that."

Discrimination = Moral Values?
Rivulet027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 08:18 AM
Addicted Fan

"I love you," she whispered.
"You hurt me," I said.
"Same thing," she retorted.
We've hardly been separated since.

-"The Story of Junk," Linda Yablonsky

There lies the beauty: I'm done with thinking. All it ever did was make me cry.

-"The Story of Junk," Linda Yablonsky

I dislike arguments of any kind. They are always vulgar, and often convincing.

-"The Importance of Being Earnest," Oscar Wilde

"'Do you believe that men have always slaughtered each other as they do today, that they've always been liars, cheats, traitors, ingrates and thieves, weak, fickle, cowardly, envious, greedy, drunken, miserly, ambitious, bloodthirsty, slanderous, lecherous, fanatical, hypocritical and foolish?'

'Do you believe that hawks have always eaten pigeons when they find them?'

'Yes, of course.'

'Well, then, if hawks have always had the same character, what makes you think men have changed theirs?'

-"Candide," Voltaire

I'm sort of an atheist. I like Jesus and all, but I don't care too much for most of the other stuff in the Bible. Take the Disciples, for instance. They annoyed the hell out of me, if you want to know the truth. They were all right after Jesus was dead and all, but while He was alive, they were about as much use to Him as a hole in the head. All they did was keep letting Him down. I like almost anybody in the Bible better than the Disciples. If you want to know the truth, the guy I like best in the Bible, next to Jesus, was that lunatic and all, that lived in the tombs and kept cutting himself with stones. I like him ten times as much as the Disciples, that poor bastard.

-"The Catcher in the Rye," J. D. Salinger

There are things that have to be done and you do them and you don't talk about them. You don't try to justify them. They can't be justified. You just do them. Then you forget them.

-"The Godfather," Mario Puzo

Outcast on a cold star, unable to feel anything but an awful helpless numbness. I look down into the warm, earthy world. Into a nest of lovers’ beds, baby cribs, meal tables, all the solid commerce of life in this earth, and feel apart, enclosed in a wall of glass.

-"Unabridged Journals," Sylvia Plath

I talk to God but the sky is empty.

-"Unabridged Journals," Sylvia Plath

I can't decieve myself out of the bare stark realization that no matter how enthusiastic you are, no matter how sure that character is fate, nothing is real, past or future. And if you have no past or future, which, after all, is all that the present is made of, why then you may as well dispose of the empty shell of present and commit suicide.

"The Journals of Sylvia Plath," Sylvia Plath

Why the hell are we conditioned into the smooth strawberry and cream, Mother Goose world, Alice in Wonderland fable, only to be broken on the wheel as we grow older and become aware of ourselves as individuals with a dull responsibility in life?

"The Unabridged Journals," Sylvia Plath

Gabrielle
Old 11-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Rivulet027
Is this from Much Ado?
Yup. It's from Benedick, I think in Act III.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cold-Blooded Piece of Toast

I can't decieve myself out of the bare stark realization that no matter how enthusiastic you are, no matter how sure that character is fate, nothing is real, past or future. And if you have no past or future, which, after all, is all that the present is made of, why then you may as well dispose of the empty shell of present and commit suicide.

"The Journals of Sylvia Plath," Sylvia Plath
Good heavens. What was she talking about?
Crossbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:37 AM
Loyal Fan

I ed studying Much Ado in my Shakespeare class. We just ended it and are starting Taming of the Shrew.

Discrimination = Moral Values?
Rivulet027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 12:32 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Crossbow
we are quite the Shakespeare geeks here, aren't we?
We are.
But the guy had the best quotes of all time in his books...
Old 11-15-2004, 11:21 AM
Extreme Fan

I do love nothing in the world so well as you: is not that strange?
Mavericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:18 PM
Master Fan

One of my favorite quotes is in my sig. It's from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Fan

I The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I like this one at the minute - "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."
Suga*Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 12:52 AM
New Fan

"Everyone can make scrambled eggs Remy. Its programed into you at birth, the defalt setting. Like being able to swim and knowing not to mix pickles with oatmeal. you JUST know"

"And of course, Miss Remy does her crosswords in ink. What don't you make miskakes?"
"nope."
"You're here though"
"ok, i made one."

Both from "This Lullaby" by Sara Dessen

"Someone once said it's the good girls who keep diaries, the bad girls never have the time. Me? I just wanna live a life I'm gonna remember, even if I don't write it down." -Brooke Davis
MrzChadMurray155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread