Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2021, 02:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

You did see the 1970s Orient Express movie.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

Did I see the whole thing? I don't remember it all.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:58 PM
Fan Forum Legend

We were kids and saw it once. But I do remember we saw it.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

I can't say much. Don't remember enough.
Old 12-11-2021, 05:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Then everything in the story will be new to you.
Old 12-19-2021, 02:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

I listened to 3 audiobooks this week that were included in the Audible catalogue. Thought it best to review them in one post.

The Chimes by Charles Dickens, narrated by Richard Armitage; 3 hrs and 40 mins; December 15, 2021; 2 out of 5 Bells.

Quote:
This classic story is the second in a series of five Christmas books Dickens was commissioned to write – beginning with A Christmas Carol. A haunting tale set on New Year’s Eve, The Chimes tells the story of a poor porter named Trotty Veck who has become disheartened by the state of the world – until he is shown a series of fantastical visions that convince him of the good of humanity. Though much different from and certainly a bit darker than A Christmas Carol, the moral message of The Chimes is equally poignant – touting the importance of compassion, goodwill, and the love of friends and family.
The story is ok. It’s very depressing until the very end.

I really only listened because it’s narrated by Richard. And I want to read more classics like Dickens.

I think this was probably inspired It’s A Wonderful Life.

Ok, I looked it up and It’s A Wonderful Life was actually inspired by A Christmas Carol.

Now, I’ve never seen It’s A Wonderful Life, but I think The Chimes is the better inspiration because of the themes (like the bells/an angel gets its wings.). A Christmas Carol is more….cheery? Even though Scrooge is a miserable grump, other characters are still grateful and happy. Everyone in The Chimes is just sad and it’s so pessimistic until the very end.

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, narrated by Hugh Grant; 22 hrs and 44 mins; December 16, 2021; 5 out of 5 Bah Humbugs.

Quote:
A Christmas Carol is a novella by English author Charles Dickens. It was first published by Chapman & Hall on 19 December 1843. It tells the story of a bitter old miser named Ebenezer Scrooge and his transformation resulting from a supernatural visit by the ghost of his former business partner Jacob Marley and the Ghosts of Christmases Past, Present and Yet to Come.

The novella met with instant success and critical acclaim. The book was written and published in early Victorian era Britain, a period when there was strong nostalgia for old Christmas traditions together with the introduction of new customs, such as Christmas trees and greeting cards. Dickens’ sources for the tale appear to be many and varied, but are, principally, the humiliating experiences of his childhood, his sympathy for the poor, and various Christmas stories and fairy tales.
Everyone knows this story. I know it from films and TV specials. The one I have seen the most is The Muppets version.

Since this edition was included in the Audible plus catalogue I thought I should listen to the source material. The adaptations are true to the book and that was comforting. I like a good redemption story.

I also enjoyed Hugh’s narration.

Wanderlust by Lauren Blakely, narrators Grace Grant and Richard Armitage; 8 hours and 46 minutes; December 17-18, 2021; 4 out of 5 Bucket Lists.

Quote:
A charming British hero, the woman who tempts him, and a hands-off arrangement that’s oh-so-hard to maintain.

My bags are packed and I’m ready to go. All I have to do is board a plane, and I’ll be on my way to fulfilling a promise I made long ago. Bonus points — my last week in Paris looks to be even better when I meet a gorgeous, clever American woman and make plans to take her back to my flat that night.

But before we can get together for what would surely be a fantastic final fling, my boss hits me with a double whammy. My previous client didn’t pay, so there’s no trip, and the new client I now desperately need is none other than the tempting American I’m about to take home.

Have I mentioned this timing bloody sucks?

I’ll admit it — I have a big weakness for a hot British accent. As in, they make me swoon, sigh, and want to toss my panties. Good thing I can avoid that kind of temptation in Paris. So it’s just my luck that the man who’s the key to success in my new job is the man whose voice makes me melt. Oh, and we have to spend all our days together for work.

Thanks a lot, fate.

To top it off, I quickly learn he’s witty, kind and has a heart and mind I’m falling for fast.

All I have to do is resist him every single freaking day. That’s so easy. Not.

But then I learn that’s nothing compared to the real hurdle we face.

What could go wrong with falling in love in Paris? Nearly everything, it seems…
I don’t read or listen to romance. It’s not my genre. I only listened to this because I didn’t pay extra and Richard Armitage’s voice.

I don’t like listening to love scenes. It’s weird and cringe worthy, so I fast forward those.

Some of the flirtatious innuendos are (intentionally) funny in an eye-roll kind of way.

Uncomfortable love scenes and corny jokes aside, I really liked this book.

I liked the themes of:
– time (with the sun dials and clocks around Paris, the days counting down.)
– and space (looking for off the beaten paths of Paris, being homesick, wanting to travel the world.)

But what I was most invested in was Griffin grieving his brother and his commitment to complete his brother’s bucket list. There were some moments when I got emotional, like when Griffin was remembering his brother’s corny jokes and he missed them. I miss my nonno’s corny jokes. I also got emotional at the end when Griffin has a revelation about his bucket list.

This romance book that I thought would be all fluff got deeper than I was anticipating. Bravo for the unexpected outcome!

I do have one criticism. Joy works in the perfume industry. I know she’s not a Nose by profession, but I thought those people were not allowed to drink any alcohol because their sense of smell has to be preserved. Was that’s a faux pas?

On the narration: Richard was great, as always. He’s got a great, sexy voice for a romance novel. I was also impressed by his ability to switch to an American accent and have it sound more female. The same goes for Grace Grant switching to a male, British accent.
Old 12-19-2021, 05:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Wow! You had a marathon of Richard's voice. That must've been nice.

Quote:

This romance book that I thought would be all fluff got deeper than I was anticipating. Bravo for the unexpected outcome!
Romance has to offer more than just kissy kissy to be worthy of time.

Quote:
The same goes for Grace Grant switching to a male, British accent.
Did she end up sounding as deep as Richard?
Old 12-21-2021, 09:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Did she end up sounding as deep as Richard?
Well, no. But you knew she was switching characters.
Old 12-22-2021, 02:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

with audiobooks with 2 narrators, they should have narrators do the back and forth of quotes in a chapter. So when the girl says something the female narrator says it and when the guy says something the male narrator says it.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh so more of a radio drama.

The book itself - the chapters are broken up into the male and female point of view.
Old 12-23-2021, 01:45 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yes, exactly.

do most romances break up chapters like that?
Old 12-23-2021, 10:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

I only read like two, so I can't say. Flip through the books in that section at the book store.
Old 12-24-2021, 01:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

eh, takes too much time to do that
Old 12-24-2021, 07:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

And they might think you want to buy one.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yea, I don't want to be suckered into buying something I am unsure of.