Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2021, 07:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Ok, I will definitely make lists and notes.
BehrItAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

all the things that don't make sense in the beginning make sense in the end.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

Ah. A connect the dots.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:49 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Sort of like that.

I remember being confused by "the murderer"
Old 05-11-2021, 01:14 PM
Master Fan

I just finished Angie Thomas' latest book Concrete Rose and I loved it.

I really liked The Hate U Give and this prequel is even better in my opinion. It really zoned in on the main character Maverick Carter (the dad from THUG) and I found myself rooting for him the whole time. Angie Thomas writes in a way that really gets you invested in the story and feel connected to the character. The story feels very realistic (unfortunately so at times) and it really moved me. It might be partly because I work with adolescent boys who get themselves in all kinds of messes and it reminds me of them a little. But mostly, it's because it's a story about the resilience of a kid who's had it rough and I love a good underdog story. /
Ankatje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

We need more stories about people rising up from their not so good circumstances. We need people to have those inspiring stories.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMouse (View Post)
We need more stories about people rising up from their not so good circumstances. We need people to have those inspiring stories.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:13 AM
Fan Forum Legend

No victimhood stories, please
Old 05-12-2021, 06:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Agreed. What downers. No one likes a whiner.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

We want victorious people.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:51 AM
Fan Forum Legend

goodreads

Thank you Netgalley and Random House Publishing Group-Ballantine for granting me access to this book.

The Ride of Her Life: The True Story of a Woman, Her Horse, and Their Last-Chance Journey Across America by Elizabeth Letts is about Annie Wilkins. She is a down on her luck woman from Maine, living in the mid-1950s, and only given four years maximum to live. Annie decided she would take her most trusted companion, an amiable dog named Depeche Toi, her horse, Tarzan, and head out west to sunny California, so she could fulfill her lifelong wish of seeing the Pacific Ocean. Along the way, they picked up another equine friend, Rex, and met a lot of human friends, too, who were always willing to offer a helping hand.

I never knew the story of Annie Wilkins, but hers was an inspiring tale. She brought excitement to a country, because many people in every state became interested in her trip. More than once while reading, I thought how fun it’d be to pack up everything and head out on the road, exploring towns and cities so unfamiliar to me, and meeting new people. Annie was a woman with courage, faith, and determination. Sometimes she was a little stubborn, too, but it made her relatable. When her trip had setbacks, she kept going with her head held high. The book shows, even though not all the scenery or weather conditions were familiar to Annie, the people were the same. Complete strangers were more than willing to give what they had to make Annie feel welcomed and encouraged. I enjoyed The Ride of Her Life for showing that no matter where you go, people want to help. It’s a sentiment more often forgotten in present time, I think. I think these days, we are more likely to hear of division.

Elizabeth Letts brought Annie, and her four-footed companions, to life. I felt I really knew their personalities, I cared about them beating the odds, succeeding, and getting to see the Pacific Ocean together. I was especially moved when Annie’s equine friends, Tarzan and Rex, got into some trouble. It is a skill on Elizabeth Letts’ part to make me feel the worry, peril, and triumph of something that happened more than sixty years ago. I also liked reading how, as much as the world has changed, going from a time when television was new to nowadays where people prefer their smartphones, people don't really change. People care about each other.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:06 AM
Master Fan

That sounds like a really interesting book! What an adventure... I'm glad you enjoyed it
Old 06-04-2021, 11:33 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks

I bawled at the end. I didn't want to get so spoiler-y in the review, but I had to put the book down to cry.

She was an amazing woman. I'd never have the guts to take that kind of adventure even though it sounds like an incredible experience. She didn't go to every state, but it would be cool to see all 50 of them.

Along the way she met a guy who was going to all 50 state capitals on a bike. After he was done with the US, he wanted to do the rest of the world.

I forgot to mention in the review, but it had inspirational quotes at the beginning and even within each chapter, which I liked.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:55 AM
Master Fan

How we like to torture ourselves with books... I have to say the books that really make me emotional are definitely among my favourites. It sounds like a really great book Victoria, the kind of non-fiction that is super interesting to read!
Old 06-04-2021, 07:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I just described the really sad scene to Steph and she's in tears too

I love books that make me cry. And it was a nice non-fic to read because the woman, Annie, was always pushing herself forward.