Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2021, 01:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'd say...romance tropes bother me less.
The happy ending is sometimes boring (that's why I loved Jojo Moyes' Me Before You...) But it's ok, I can live with that.

If thrillers are too obvious I tend to lose interest. Especially when I know the culprit from page 1 (or whatever).
Old 04-01-2021, 01:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Me Before You sounds so incredibly sad.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:05 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMouse (View Post)
Me Before You sounds so incredibly sad.
I cried...I cried the first time I read it. The second time...I cried with the movie...Watched the movie like 5 times already - still - cried.

I think "Me Before You" really is my all time favourite (so far) in it's genre.
"After Me" and "Still Me" are also worth the read...But if the story ended with the ending in "Me Before You" I wouldn't even mind the sad ending. It was really an ending that felt "humane" and "understandable".
Old 04-02-2021, 10:47 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I cried...I cried the first time I read it. The second time...I cried with the movie...Watched the movie like 5 times already - still - cried.
awwww but isn't it great when a book or movie makes you cry every time? Sometimes I fear a story making me cry will be just a one off. I want it to stir up emotions every time.

I am surprised the writer wrote sequels. Especially since I'd fear the audience wouldn't want to read the main girl moving on to some other guy.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:09 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
awwww but isn't it great when a book or movie makes you cry every time? Sometimes I fear a story making me cry will be just a one off. I want it to stir up emotions every time.

I am surprised the writer wrote sequels. Especially since I'd fear the audience wouldn't want to read the main girl moving on to some other guy.
I love that! Crying every time...It's also my "go to book" when I sort of want to find relief for sad feelings If that makes sense.
And obviously the books that get you every time, are the ones that end up being re-read. And sometimes an author can accomplish that several times...But sadly, I haven't encountered an author that had that effect with every book. It isn't always a first book that has the effect.

Moyes did a good job with the sequels...Even though Louisa moved on eventually, you get all of it. And you sort of understand her decisions at the end of the second book, which lead to a surprisingly good third book.
These three are a coming of age story that needed three books. If Moyes would've cut in the story and made the three into one book that had a few more pages and in doing so avoid the stress of publishing sequels, then that one book wouldn't have worked...like at all. You'd miss too many details to get the picture.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
But sadly, I haven't encountered an author that had that effect with every book. It isn't always a first book that has the effect.
Ruta Sepetys books make me cry every time I read them.
And I cried each time I read She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. The Book Thief too.

I am surprised the second and third book never became a movie.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLil'Duck (View Post)
Ok so instead of one book, you just threw in 6 I think I really like it here
Go big or go home!

Quote:
Totally. Sometimes it's fun to know exactly what you are in for and it's just a feel good kind of book. But it would be incredibly boring to me to mostly read books like that.
BehrItAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:27 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Ruta Sepetys books make me cry every time I read them.
And I cried each time I read She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. The Book Thief too.
Ok so +1 Wally Lamb and +... Ruta Sepetys.
-1 for The Book Thief though - yes - that one got to me too...Other books by Zusak not so much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehrItAll (View Post)
Go big or go home!
Guess I'm going big

Quote:
I am surprised the second and third book never became a movie.
Maybe Emilia Clark didn't want to...OR she was still too busy being Khaleesi-Mother of Dragons It can all still happen...
Old 04-03-2021, 02:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Other books by Zusak not so much...
I read Bridge of Clay by him and I liked it. I can't remember if I cried, but I liked it because it reminded me of my dad and his brothers.

Quote:
Maybe Emilia Clark didn't want to...OR she was still too busy being Khaleesi-Mother of Dragons It can all still happen...
for all the fans getting what they want
Old 04-03-2021, 06:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

All those books made me cry too.

I still have to read Bridge of Clay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLil'Duck (View Post)
Guess I'm going big
Enjoy!
Old 04-04-2021, 01:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I still have to read Bridge of Clay.
I had to assign each brother a spot in our dad's sibling order to keep everyone straight.
Old 04-04-2021, 02:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

I will write it down
Old 04-04-2021, 03:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Good idea.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:49 AM
Part-Time Fan

Confusion does appear to be the key word in reviews on "Bridge of Clay"
Old 04-05-2021, 08:34 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Wow. I think that happens when there is such a big list of characters AND when it's not linear.