Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2022, 10:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh that is the worst! Second hand stories.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:37 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I was listening to Audicted today and it was the debut novel ep and it was said that first time authors should get a pass when a book isn't perfect because at least they had the courage and stamina to write something. I do agree they should get a for that, but then it's the agent & editors responsibility to tell the debut author what the story needed. M.A.'s agent and editor should've told her to develop the rebellion more and not lock up her main character.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
but then it's the agent & editors responsibility to tell the debut author what the story needed.
I agree.

But, maybe the lower star reviews can let her know what to do different next time.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

with each book she'll get better.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

Practice makes perfect.
Old 01-16-2022, 05:03 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I'll see what the plot of her next book is before committing
Old 01-16-2022, 08:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

And borrow it from the library.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

yea, wise idea.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:14 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Thank you to NetGalley and Ballantine Books for providing an ARC of The Wedding Dress Sewing Circle in exchange for an honest review.

The book follows three main characters. There is top fashion designer who lives in London, Cressida Westcott, her niece Violet Westcott, who starts off spoiled and shallow, and selfless vicar's daughter Grace Carlisle. The London Blitz brings the three women together when Cressida's London home is destroyed and she is forced to stay with her niece and nephew, Hugh, who live on a country estate.

I've read most of Jennifer Ryan's other books and I enjoy how she shows women coming together to do their part during the war, namely WWII. Cressida, Violet, and Grace come up with an innovative way to help other women, since goods are scarce and/or very expensive, by using their individual talents to create a wedding dress exchange and mend clothing that is close to tatters. I liked learning about the clothing rationing/coupons during the war and also how coveted a silk parachute was.

All three women were likable and evolved from the people they were at the beginning of the novel. Cressida learned to not be alone, Violet matured and let go of her frivolous cares, and Grace gained confidence. Jennifer Ryan does a good job of showing the camaraderie amongst women and how every woman has a valuable talent or skill to offer.
goodreads
Old 03-09-2022, 10:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

I will read that tomorrow
AND have my own reviews to post.
Old 03-10-2022, 12:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I wish I had made the review longer but I didn't know what to say. It was a sweet book where every girl found romance.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think the review was a fine length. You talked about character growth and how the author did a good job of explain the times and how it brought women together.
Old 03-12-2022, 03:37 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Hopefully the publishers appreciate it.
And if they don't , at least my feedback percentage on Netgalley is 100%
Old 03-12-2022, 09:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

Does that help your chances to get more galleys?

I Must Betray You
by Ruta Sepetys

Quote:
Romania, 1989. Communist regimes are crumbling across Europe. Seventeen-year-old Cristian Florescu dreams of becoming a writer, but Romanians aren’t free to dream; they are bound by rules and force.

Amidst the tyrannical dictatorship of Nicolae Ceaușescu in a country governed by isolation and fear, Cristian is blackmailed by the secret police to become an informer. He’s left with only two choices: betray everyone and everything he loves—or use his position to creatively undermine the most notoriously evil dictator in Eastern Europe.

Cristian risks everything to unmask the truth behind the regime, give voice to fellow Romanians, and expose to the world what is happening in his country. He eagerly joins the revolution to fight for change when the time arrives. But what is the cost of freedom?

A gut-wrenching, startling window into communist Romania and the citizen spy network that devastated a nation, from the number one New York Times best-selling, award-winning author of Salt to the Sea and Between Shades of Gray.
Ruta is one of my favorite authors. She really does her research and she beautifully weaves what she has uncovered in a seamless way. It never sounds like an info dumb of facts. She writes in a way that shines a light on the forgotten and untold stories of history. Her books should be required reading.

I had a wide range of emotions when reading I Must Betray You: paranoia, suspicious, suspense, guilty, tears of sadness, tears of inspiration to fight tyranny, anger, shock, betrayal, mourning. It was a rollercoaster, but a good kind. You want to be this emotionally invested when reading.

I loved this part. It was like an "Eye of the Tiger" get pumped up moment.
Page 271: "It's all my fault. He was trying to save me."
"No. We're all trying to save our country," said Alex. "Every one of us. And if you haven't noticed, the young people have been the bravest. No regrets in bravery."

I loved the pacing towards the end. It really ramps up and is non-stop as the revolution starts.

Writing the chapter numbers in Romanian was a nice touch. Though I am sure when I tried to pronounce it I was no where close.

This is defiantly a story that will stay with me for a long time. Cristian is an inspiring character and Romania's story is one that should not be forgotten.

4.5 out of 5 Stamps
Old 03-13-2022, 11:37 AM
Fan Forum Legend

It does help, but what also is needed is a big profile and links to where you post reviews and I am too lazy to write myself a big profile, so I do get turned down for books.

awww stamps as a rating system.