Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2004, 10:19 AM
New Fan

For me, the books are just about always better than the movie. For example, I saw the Princess Diaries movie and then read the book, and I couldn't watch the movie for a while because I saw all the things that were very different from the book. all text all text
PrincessKrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 10:20 AM
New Fan

For me, the books are just about always better than the movie. For example, I saw the Princess Diaries movie and then read the book, and I couldn't watch the movie for a while because I saw all the things that were very different from the book.
PrincessKrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 05:12 PM
Supreme Fan

I think it really depends on both the book and the movie. Robert Ludlum's Bourne series are really good books but they would have made booring movies so the liberties the writers took with the movies was really good. Also, sci-fi, the books and movies are on totally different levels. Take Frank Herbert's Dune series, great books, great Sci-fi channel mini's. But they can't really compare because they are very different in many ways.
Old 10-24-2004, 05:52 PM
Master Fan

I think the books are always better than the movie, because when you read the book you get to see things from your perspective, characters aren't cast, they're how you imagine them, and things are so much more descriptive and I think a book is just a lot more interactive. But I love movies, and I love many movies based on books. Usually seeing a movie inspires me to go read the book its based on, and I end up liking the book better. A lot of times both are good, like LOTR.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:04 PM
Master Fan

i don't think i've ever seen a movie better than the book. some have come close like the harry potter series and the green mile. but by far i prefer the book.
n e r b l e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Obsessed Fan

book or movie

it depends as most of you have stated. The Notebook..i loved the movie and i just finished reading the book....i actually liked both, but in a way i loved the movie more, someone posted the Bourne series..and i have enjoyed the movies so much more....however Stephen Kings books...how can you bring them really to life. I never have read the Green Mile, but i read the Body (Stand by Me...not bad movie version), Shawshank Redemption)Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption ) but what about The Stand? didn't like the mini series. It ..still waiting for the beast....

You just have to hope that some of the books that are made into movies will get a wonderful treatment....

Actually who didn't love Bridge Jones Diary...and the book itself was fabulous.
EJami powerful, tangible, wild & completely off the charts Choice, not chance, determined destiny. He, too, has been changed in his turn, changed utterly: & a terrible beauty was born. Love comes in many forms & faces, as there are many roads to truth.
Dommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:31 PM
Supreme Fan

I think it also depends on the author. Some authors are very good at giving you enough information to create a scene in your mind but not give you so much that they force their opinion on you. Some authors aren't good at creating those images to I like the moves better because I can see the book instead of just having a blank sketch of it in my head.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:22 AM
Elite Fan

IMO, so far I think the book has always been better for me, then the movie. I mean I love most of the movies that are based on the book, but for me I love the books.

Some movies I've seen have totally screwed it up (whereas I've loved the book) so it's hard for me to tell sometimes whether to watch it or not unless I know someone who's read the book, and told me that the movie was awesome.
Dearest Cecilia, the story can resume. The one I had been planning on that evening walk. I can become again the man who once crossed the Surrey Park at dusk, in my best suit, swaggering on the promise of life. The man who, with the clarity of passion, made love to you in the library. The story can resume. I will return. Find you, love you, marry you and live without shame.
|| JESS
NZOCFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:50 PM
Extreme Fan

Well usually the book is much better than the movie. But for me, About A Boy, the movie verse is totally better than the book.
deeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:43 PM
Total Fan

I usually prefer books to a movie based on the book. I cant think of any movie I preferred over a book actually!
I've read The Notebook and A Walk To Remember by Nicholas Sparks, and seen the movies, and I definitely prefer the books! No question! You cant get over the depth of the relationship in a movie, no matter how good the actors are, you are never able to know what is going on in their heads.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 05:39 PM
Total Fan

I find most of the time I like the book better then the movie. I have to read the book first though because once I see the movie sometimes I have a hard time getting involved in the book no matter how much better the book may be.

icon by

Sarah
Sunnyolaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Part-Time Fan

I have always loved the book better, but To Kill a Mockingbird came very close to the movie being as good as the book.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:24 AM
Elite Fan

I have never encountered a movie that I liked better than the book. I have heard that there are some out there, but I have yet to encounterone.

Then again, I don't read books that are based on movies, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:09 PM
Addicted Fan

Sometimes when I'm reading a book I think "This would make a better movie than a book," but those ones almost never really get made. Jurassic Park was one, though.

Funny story about that book: I was up late reading it and I was at a really tense part where the characters are being stalked by a T-Rex, and suddenly I saw a movment out of the corner of my eye. AAAARRRRGH!!!! THERE'S A TYRANNOSAURUS IN MY BEDROOM!!!!

It was a mouse.

Note that I'm much larger compared to a mouse than a Tryannosaurus would be compared to me. The mouse and I both froze and stared at each other in stark terror for about 5 seconds before it vanished into thin air, as mice are wont to do.
Crossbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 08:28 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Crossbow

Funny story about that book: I was up late reading it and I was at a really tense part where the characters are being stalked by a T-Rex, and suddenly I saw a movment out of the corner of my eye. AAAARRRRGH!!!! THERE'S A TYRANNOSAURUS IN MY BEDROOM!!!!

It was a mouse.

Note that I'm much larger compared to a mouse than a Tryannosaurus would be compared to me. The mouse and I both froze and stared at each other in stark terror for about 5 seconds before it vanished into thin air, as mice are wont to do.
I always freak myself out when reading thrillers or horror books too!!

When I was reading Jurassic Park 2. I kept thinking what a great movie it would be. He seemed to have written it to be a movie. He followed the ending of the movie and not his book. A lot of action and seemed to be plotted to be a movie. I was shocked when they didn't really use any of the ideas from the book for Jurassic Park 2. I was so disappointed when I saw that movie

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread