Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

WMC Books Discussion #1- Because these books are 'stay up all night page turners'

[from james patterson online];

about;
Lindsay Boxer, Cindy Thomas, Claire Washburn and Jill Bernhardt, the stars of 1st to Die, 2nd Chance, 3rd Degree, 4th of July, The 5th Horseman, and The 6th Target are the founding members of The Women's Murder Club. Together, they solve crimes together in their home city of San Francisco. They often get together to talk about clues and life over Mexican food and drinks at Susie's.

[fans of women's murder club series];
1. Ashes & Wine
2. Sweet_Honeycomb
3. DreamWalker
4. addicted2much
*if you want to be added, just as the thread*

the characters;

LINDSAY BOXER — The Detective
Meet Lindsay Boxer, a homicide detective for the San Francisco Police Department. Lindsay is 5'10" tall. She was a sociology major and graduated from San Francisco State (to which she transferred from Berkeley when she found out that her mother had breast cancer). She loves beer and butterscotch praline ice cream. She has a border collie named Martha. She enjoys running, loves to read travel books and mysteries and her secret hobby is Tai Chi. Lindsay is divorced, has a younger sister named Cat and a father named Marty, who was also a member of the SFPD. Marty left Lindsay's mother when Lindsay was 13. One thing that very few people know about Lindsay is that she has a tattoo of a one-inch gecko on her left buttock.

CINDY THOMAS — The Reporter
Meet Cindy Thomas, pretty, blonde and city cool. She's an up and coming reporter for the San Francisco Chronicle. Cindy is a graduate of the University of Michigan where she was a sociology major. She loves yoga, jazz music and, like her friend Lindsay Boxer, loves to read travel books and mysteries, she's even a member of a book club. She also has a tattoo, but unlike Lindsay, she has two small G-clefs on her shoulder.

CLAIRE WASHBURN — The Medical Examiner
Meet Claire Washburn, Claire is black and heavyset; she always jokes, "I'm in shape…round's a shape." Claire is wise, confident, kind and the Chief Medical Examiner for San Francisco. She is married to Edmund, a kettle drum-player in the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra. Claire and Edmund have two teenage sons. Her tattoo: an outline of a butterfly just below her waist. She also goes by the nickname "Butterfly" and has it embroidered on her lab coat at work.

YUKI CASTELLANO — The Attorney
Yuki Castellano is an ambitious, young San Francisco district attorney who is passionate, brilliant, given to speaking at 90 miles per hour, and sometimes wears a magenta red streak in her glossy, black, shoulder-length hair. Her parents met at a graduate school mixer for foreign students and married within three weeks. Her mother is Japanese and her father Italian-American. Yuki's favorite drink, when out with the other members of the Club, is a Germain-Robin sidecar.

the books;

1st to Die is a dazzlingly powerful new thriller by master suspense novelist James Patterson, the #1 bestselling author of Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider.

Four women-four friends-share a determination to stop a killer who has been stalking newlyweds in San Francisco. Each one holds a piece of the puzzle: Lindsay Boxer is a homicide inspector in the San Francisco Police Department, Claire Washburn is a medical examiner, Jill Bernhardt is an assistant D.A., and Cindy Thomas just started working the crime desk of the San Francisco Chronicle.

But the usual procedures aren't bringing them any closer to stopping the killings. So these women form a Women's Murder Club to collaborate outside the box and pursue the case by sidestepping their bosses and giving one another a hand.

The four women develop intense bonds as they pursue a killer whose crimes have stunned an entire city. Working together, they track down the most terrifying and unexpected killer they have ever encountered-before a shocking conclusion in which everything they knew turns out to be devastatingly wrong.

Full of the breathtaking drama and unforgettable emotions for which James Patterson is famous, 1st to Die is the start of a blazingly fast-paced and sensationally entertaining new series of crime thrillers.

The Women's Murder Club is back! A brutal madman sprays bullets into a crowd of children leaving a San Francisco church. Miraculously-or was it intentionally?-only one person dies. Then an elderly black woman is hung. Police homicide inspector Lindsay Boxer senses a connection and together with medical examiner Claire, assistant D. A. Jill, and Chronicle reporter Cindy, finds a link that sends a chill through the entire nation. This killer's motives are unspeakable.

The #1 bestselling new mystery series of the past decade comes roaring back with 3rd Degree, a shockingly suspenseful thriller featuring the Women's Murder Club.

One of James Patterson's best loved heroines is about to die. Detective Lindsay Boxer is jogging along a beautiful San Francisco street when a fiery explosion rips through the neighborhood. A town house owned by an Internet millionaire is immediately engulfed in flames, and when Lindsay plunges inside to search for survivors, she finds three people dead. An infant who lived in the house cannot be found - and a mysterious message at the scene leaves Lindsay and the San Francisco Police Department completely baffled.

Then a prominent businessman is found murdered under bizarre circumstances, with another mysterious message left behind by the killer. Lindsay asks her friends Claire Washburn of the medical examiner's office, Assistant D.A. Jill Bernhardt, and Chronicle reporter Cindy Thomas to help her figure out who is committing these murders-and why they are intent on killing someone every three days.

Even more terrifying, the killer has targeted one of the four friends who call themselves the Women's Murder Club.

Which one will it be?

While the investigation rages furiously, Lindsay works very closely with a federal officer assigned to the case. At the same time, she learns that one member of the Women's Murder Club is hiding a secret so dangerous and unbelievable that it could destroy them all.

Detective Lindsay Boxer and the Women's Murder Club make a courageous return for their fourth and most chilling case ever-one that could easily be their last.

In a late-night showdown after a near-fatal car chase, San Francisco police lieutenant Lindsay Boxer has to make an instantaneous decision: in self-defense, she fires her weapon-and sets off a chain of events that leaves a police force disgraced, an entire city divided, and a family destroyed. Now everything she's worked her entire life for hinges on the decision of twelve jurors.

To escape scrutiny during breaks from her trial, Lindsay retreats to the picturesque town of Half Moon Bay. But soon after her arrival, a string of grisly murders punches through the peaceful community. There are no witnesses and there is no discernible pattern. But a key detail recalls a case Lindsay worked on as a rookie years before-an unsolved murder that has haunted her ever since. As summer comes into full swing, Lindsay and her friends in the Women's Murder Club battle for her life on two fronts: before a judge and jury as her trial comes to a climax, and facing unknown adversaries who will do anything to keep her from the truth about the killings-including killing again.

James Patterson fine-tunes the tension as never before in this breathtaking addition to the best-selling detective series to debut in a decade.

SOMEBODY DIES.
A young mother is recuperating in a San Francisco hospital when she is suddenly gasping for breath. The call button fails to bring help in time. The hospital's doctors, some of the best in the nation, are completely mystified by her death. How did this happen?

APOCALYPSE NEARS.
This is not the first such case at the hospital. Just as patients are about to be released with a clean bill of health, their conditions take a devastating turn for the worse.

Accompanied by the newest member of the Women's Murder Club, Yuki Castellano, Lieutenant Lindsay Boxer probes deeper into the incidents. Could these cases just be appalling coincidences? Or is a maniac playing God with people's lives? When someone close to the Women's Murder Club begins to exhibit the same frightening symptoms, Lindsay fears no one is safe.

THE 5TH HORSEMAN RIDES.
It is a wild race against time as Lindsay's investigation reveals a hospital administration determined to shield its reputation at all costs. And while the hospital wages an explosive court battle that grips the entire nation, Lindsay and the Women's Murder Club hunt for a merciless killer among its esteemed medical staff.

A TERRIFYING ATTACKER
A burst of gunfire leaves several people dead–and one woman fighting for her life. That victim is a member of the Women's Murder Club, four friends who join forces on their toughest cases. Detective Lindsay Boxer pursues one lead after another to capture the man who tried to kill her friend…but the clues don't seem to make sense.

CHILDREN ARE VANISHING
While Assistant District Attorney Yuki Castellano prepares to prosecute a high-profile trial, the city suffers from a chilling crime spree. Children of wealthy families are being abducted–along with their nannies. Yet the kidnappers are silent and do not demand a ransom. Parents everywhere fear the worst. Now with the entire city gripped in fear, Lindsay must frantically work with her new partner to connect these horrific crimes.

WHO WILL THE NEXT TARGET BE?
From James Patterson, "the man who can't miss" (TIME), comes the most shocking and frightening case ever faced by Lindsay Boxer and the Women's Murder Club.

meet the author;

James Patterson, the subject of a recent Time magazine feature called, "The Man Who Can't Miss," is

* The bestselling author of the past year, bar none, with more than 12 million books sold in North America alone. In total, James's books have sold an estimated 130 million copies worldwide.
* The creator of the #1 new detective series of the past dozen years, featuring Alex Cross and including the Hollywood-adapted Along Came a Spider and Kiss the Girls, starring Morgan Freeman.
* The creator of the #1 new detective series of the past 5 years, featuring Lindsay Boxer and the other members of the Women's Murder Club. The most recent bestseller in that series is the record-breaking The 5th Horseman.
* The first author to have #1 new titles simultaneously on New York Times adult and children's lists. James's first foray into kid-accessible fiction, the critically acclaimed Maximum Ride series, debuted on the list at #1 and remained there for 12 straight weeks. The series has so far been on the New York Times bestsellers lists for more than 54 weeks, proving that kids love pageturners, too!
* One of a handful of authors whose sales have been growing over the past two years, even as bestselling fiction sales have been sluggish.
* The author of novels--from The Thomas Berryman Number (1976) to Honeymoon (2005)--that have won awards including the Edgar, the BCA Mystery Guild's Thriller of the Year, and the International Thriller of the Year award.
* One of Forbes magazine's top 100 celebrities.
* The creator of the books behind six movies on the Hollywood fast-track, including the young adult series Maximum Ride, an adaptation of the celebrated illustrated children's book, santaKid, the thrillers Honeymoon and Lifeguard, the Alex Cross series, and a stunning horror novel to be published later on in '07, You've Been Warned. His Women's Murder Club series has also been green-lighted as a pilot for ABC television, and could be on the air as soon as fall, 2007.
I know better
But I still feel you all around icon

Last edited by fall like stars; 08-14-2007 at 10:54 AM
Old 08-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks a lot for this! I've never read the books, but I'm now mighty interested in maybe picking up the first one. I have a long "waiting to be read" list, but this series is creeping up.

I loved reading the character descriptions. So excited to "see" them on tv. Yuki sounds very cool.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Moderator Support Team

Great opening post Shauna!

I love James Patterson. It has been awhile since I've ead these and I don't think I've read the last couple. I'd definitely like to get around to re-reading and reading them soon though.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Awwww, glad you like the opening post girls.

And they GREAT books, to me at least. Definitely worth giving a try. I LOVE James Patterson novels in general, but these are my favorite out of his books, and one of favorite book series ever.

I was very excited when I found out that an actual TV show was going to be based after the books. And not only that, but the series seems to be really truthful to the books....to the characters.

There is actually a TV movie out called, 1st to Die, based off the first book, and erm, I seen it once but that was before I read the books. I don't really remember much about it though. I think it was pretty faithful to the 1st book but I thought the person who played the lead role of Lindsay, was horribly mis-casted.
I know better
Old 08-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Master Fan

OMG! I can't believe there's a show based on these books. I love James Patterson. I'm stunned.

icon credit: miss-rebel86
Old 08-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Hehe, I know......me too! I'm so excited.

Okay, I'm thinking about starting a list of people who are a fan of the books. If anyone wants to be on it, let me know.
I know better
Old 08-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Master Fan

Please add me. I have all of the books.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Moderator Support Team

Add me please.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

You two have both been added.
I know better
Old 08-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Add me. I have to start reading the books.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Added you. You totally should..they are awesome.
I know better
Old 08-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for adding me. I can't put the books down once I start reading them. Total page turner.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I like that the book title are in numerical order.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Thanks for adding me. I can't put the books down once I start reading them. Total page turner.
Your welcome. And I know!..Once I start reading one of the books, it's very hard for me to put down. It's so addicting.

Quote:
I like that the book title are in numerical order.
Me too..that's very cool!
I know better
Old 08-16-2007, 07:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I checked the library and 1st to Die is loaned out. Is it better to read the books in order?