Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2013, 06:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessec12 (View Post)
Those few scenes in S1 to me showed that Red didn't hate Kelso. But then after that it seemed like most times Red saw him he wanted to stick a foot up his rear end.
Kelso "dating" Laurie probably didn't endear him to Red. I wonder why Jackie didn't tell Red that Kelso cheated on her with his daughter. Maybe because that would've been akin to hiring a hitman to kill Kelso. Red really might've done Kelso some bodily harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessec12 (View Post)
I liked Red's line in the ep with the canoe (S6) where he says about Kelso "he may not be smart but he has more fun than all of us combined". Something like that.
Yup! "Sparks" (622).

RED: Look at that crazy bastard. He may not be smart, but he has more fun than all of us combined.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Fan Forum Star

I loved that line from Red, I think he didn't dislike Kelso in the end, he just annoyed him easily.
I am an original”
Old 10-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Dedicated Fan

That is a great line from Red and the whole canoe bit was funny…although to me Red getting drunk and buying a canoe instead of wedding stuff for Eric and Donna was kinda like What? But *shrug* I don’t think Red really disliked any of the kids as much as it seemed, h just got really annoyed with them. He’s had nice moments with each of them, Kelso and Fez included.

But yeah, dating Laurie did not win Kelso any points with Red. I think Kelso may have even reminded him of his buddy Frank. I think he said it once himself too.

Here’s something I’ve always wondered about, Kitty’s smoking. Now I get that her smoking was kinda a stress reliever (and to me I preferred seeing her smoke rather than drink) and when she quit the second time it was due to DJR quitting in real life too—also where the idea of Kitty’s Birthday (That’s today?!) came from. But what about Red?

He seemed like someone who was upset by seeing smoke. He took the cigarette out of Laurie’s mouth in Thanksgiving and let’s not forget Eric gets Suspended. Maybe it was because those two are his kids, he doesn’t want to see them smoking. But the same went with Kitty, he didn’t seem to like seeing her smoking either. That scene from Hyde’s Christmas Rager comes to mind.

Why do you think this was?

I think it would also be safe to say Red smoked too. We saw it in Drive In and I remember there being a carton of cigarettes mention in RK’s honeymoon story.

So any thoughts on why Red was against seeing Kitty smoke even though he smoked—though not often? Just curious.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannygirl704 (View Post)
That is a great line from Red and the whole canoe bit was funny…although to me Red getting drunk and buying a canoe instead of wedding stuff for Eric and Donna was kinda like What? But *shrug* I don’t think Red really disliked any of the kids as much as it seemed, h just got really annoyed with them. He’s had nice moments with each of them, Kelso and Fez included.
Post-S4 Red was just ... odd because his character was sacrificed for punchlines. And that's where the canoe came in. "Sparks" is another season 6 throw-away episode, but at least it's funny -- and has a sweet J/H moment.

Quote:
But yeah, dating Laurie did not win Kelso any points with Red. I think Kelso may have even reminded him of his buddy Frank. I think he said it once himself too.
Maybe because Kelso reminded Red of his (dead) friend Frank, Red tolerated Kelso more than he would have. Red thought of Frank as a dumbass (and he was, considering how he died), and Kelso was the kettleheaded king of the dumbasses as far as Red was concerned.

Prissy, you bring up an interesting point about Red and smoking. I think he wasn't an habitual smoker by the time the show took place. He'd probably quit when Kitty got pregnant with Laurie, and -- unlike most people -- was capable of having the occasional cigarette.

My brother's not a smoker, but way back when (20 years ago) when he was in college, he smoked socially. He didn't smoke throughout the day or at home or in college. Only at parties or bars. And this phase of his lasted only a few months (thank God). A few friends of mine were like that, too, back in high school. A cig here, a cig there -- with weeks in between.

But Kitty was fully addicted to cigarettes, and Red had probably heard enough horror stories from her about how they caused cancer. He couldn't have wanted his family to poison themselves.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

I think Red was just a habitual smoker as well, and wasn't addicted to it. I never got the feeling that he was addicted to it like Kitty. He seemed to only smoke on occasion.
I am an original”
Old 10-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstock87 (View Post)
I think Red was just a habitual smoker as well, and wasn't addicted to it. I never got the feeling that he was addicted to it like Kitty. He seemed to only smoke on occasion.
Now beer and fatty food, on the other hand...

I wonder if Red could get used to drinking non-alcoholic beer.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

I can't imagine Red drinking non alcoholic beer....
I am an original”
Old 10-20-2013, 07:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I can't imagine Red drinking non alcoholic beer....
He'd probably rather drink Coke. At least it has caffeine.

---

I like that, in most cases, Red would listen to Kitty on things he was resistant to -- like letting Hyde move in with them. It's a bit scary how Red acted when he thought Kitty was pregnant. He was scared and resentful and was pretty much an ass about it (got drunk, argued with Kitty that he's "having a Corvette!" etc.). I understand his feelings, but this was the first time Kitty hadn't really been able to get through to him.

Eric was the one who did.

That was a great moment for Eric, and Red listening to him shows he actually respected Eric on a deep level. All Eric had to do was speak Red's language.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

I loved that moment between Eirc and Red. I like the moments between Eric and Red where he shows how much he respects Eric.
I am an original”
Old 10-22-2013, 07:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I like the moments between Eric and Red where he shows how much he respects Eric.
Me, too. They're so rare!

I like the episode where Eric freaks out after a drugged-up Red says, "I love you," to him. Eric and Kitty don't know what to make of it, and they go a little trying to figure it out. Eric eventually becomes optimistic about it <--- He wants his daddy's love so badly.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

I loved that moment too. Kitty and Eric were so confused!
I am an original”
Old 10-24-2013, 07:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Kitty and Eric were so confused!
And Kitty finally understands when Red tells her the dentist drugged him. That's sad.

---

I was trying to figure out what episode to use for the "Guess the Episode" game, and I looked through the episode "Jackie Moves On". Kitty and Red have an interesting storyline there. Turns out she pawned Red's mother's necklace, and he pawned Kitty's father's watch while they were having money troubles. By the end of that episode, they hugged each other with these sad/disturbed expressions on their faces.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

I just watched that episode, I loved them so much in it.
I am an original”
Old 10-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Dedicated Fan

So here’s some RK artwork. It’s one I made for another board awhile back and since RK didn’t have a name on there I was asked to pick one. I picked ‘The Golden Couple’ since they’d been together the longest, they were the ones that stayed together throughout the series, they were the oldest, and mostly they were great examples of the kids and their relationships. Of course now I realize it kinda sounds like The Golden Girls lol

I can add ‘Park Walkers’ in its place but I’m having trouble finding the image without the next. I know I have it somewhere…but in the meantime here you go:

Old 10-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I just watched that episode, I loved them so much in it.
Colleen, you always seem to see the episodes right before I talk about them.

Quote:
So here’s some RK artwork. It’s one I made for another board awhile back and since RK didn’t have a name on there I was asked to pick one. I picked ‘The Golden Couple’ since they’d been together the longest, they were the ones that stayed together throughout the series, they were the oldest, and mostly they were great examples of the kids and their relationships. Of course now I realize it kinda sounds like The Golden Girls lol
No worries about "The Golden Couple" text. It's pretty (and The Golden Girls is a great show). I added your art to the OP. Thank you for sharing your lovely work with our board!