Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2019, 06:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazzhopper (View Post)
Sometimes I think about how lamenting these writing issues might be pointless since maybe That 70s Show never strived to be the kind of show with quality writing.
Maybe the writers thought that was quality writing? But critical thinking is a good thing, even about TV shows with inconsistent writing.

The pointlessness is more -- the crud has been out there for many years, consumed by many people. As Shakespeare wrote, "What's done is done and cannot be undone." So no amount of lamentation will change it. Analyzing it, though, and reading other people's analysis, has definitely helped me recognize certain things about it I hadn't.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:21 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
So no amount of lamentation will change it.
Indeed
Old 11-19-2019, 03:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Maybe the writers thought that was quality writing? But critical thinking is a good thing, even about TV shows with inconsistent writing.

The pointlessness is more -- the crud has been out there for many years, consumed by many people. As Shakespeare wrote, "What's done is done and cannot be undone." So no amount of lamentation will change it. Analyzing it, though, and reading other people's analysis, has definitely helped me recognize certain things about it I hadn't.
I agree with you. Analyzing the show has helped me over the years. I always enjoy your analysis too Lisa.
I am an original”
Old 11-20-2019, 05:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstock87 (View Post)
I agree with you. Analyzing the show has helped me over the years. I always enjoy your analysis too Lisa.
Aw, thanks, Colleen!

Although lamenting and analyzing the bad writing won't change it, it's also a way of grieving something that liveed up to its potential enough to be mourned when it didn't. In the case of That '70s Show, the grief never ends.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:42 AM
Obsessed Fan

So am i the last one to know that deleted scenes from S5 finale are now on Youtube?
Old 12-12-2019, 06:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishik5 (View Post)
So am i the last one to know that deleted scenes from S5 finale are now on Youtube?
Yes, Dasha. Yes, you are.

I love the Red and Kitty ones, in particular.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:28 AM
Obsessed Fan

Well that's just great
Makes me wonder though if more miracles will happen I doubt we'll see the actual deleted scenes, but maybe the ones with the original music at least?
Old 12-12-2019, 07:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Well that's just great
They went up only a few weeks ago, though. So you're not that late to the party.

Quote:
Makes me wonder though if more miracles will happen I doubt we'll see the actual deleted scenes, but maybe the ones with the original music at least?
Enterprising fans (not me) who have or find access to that material might make that happen.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

i started rewatching this, i feel like the last time i did i was posting my thoughts somewhere but i dont see any season 1-6 threads at all.. is there a reason there arent any? like a general season 1 discussion thread would be cool to have.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
i started rewatching this, i feel like the last time i did i was posting my thoughts somewhere but i dont see any season 1-6 threads at all.. is there a reason there arent any? like a general season 1 discussion thread would be cool to have.
Hi! We don't have enough regular posters to maintain threads for each season, but any aspect of That '70s Show that doesn't fit into the existing threads can go in this thread (General Discussion), or you can discuss season 1 with us here: http://www.fanforum.com/f27/classic-...-age-62767421/
Old 12-29-2019, 06:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

what constitutes as classic?

Season 1 has been okay, but not one of my favorites i dont think. I cant remember when I started to really get into the show. I am still enjoying it of course, and I like its cute/funny but not super hilarious just yet. I do love Red a lot and how mean he is to Eric . Jackie was so annoying in these early years lol. I also really like Hyde in season 1. And Eric.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
what constitutes as classic?
Considering no one's posted in that thread for over ten years, I'd say any episode that a person considers a classic is a classic. Although I do think certain episodes have more iconic storylines, character moments, and humor than others. A lot of people think "Dine and Dash" (3x13) is a classic, for instance.

Quote:
Season 1 has been okay, but not one of my favorites i dont think. I cant remember when I started to really get into the show. I am still enjoying it of course, and I like its cute/funny but not super hilarious just yet. I do love Red a lot and how mean he is to Eric . Jackie was so annoying in these early years lol. I also really like Hyde in season 1. And Eric.
I like a lot of season one's humor, but the writers were still clearly figuring out who some of the characters were. Red, Kelso, and Fez were more complex in season one, and their characterizations eroded -- Kelso's pretty quickly -- as the seasons went on. Kelso lost the quality of being a math and tech prodigy after season one.

Red became even more of a hardass, and his love for Eric became harder to recognize.

Hyde is used as a villainous foil to Eric during much of season one, for the purpose of showing how good Eric is (for Donna) by comparison. Once that non-triangle triangle story ended (Donna never expressed or showed or returned any romantic feelings toward Hyde), Hyde's characterization was overhauled, and he became almost the opposite of who he is during the first two-thirds of season one (although his conspiracy-paranoia remained).

Season one is also very firmly grounded in the socioeconomics of the 1970s. That got phased out except for the most superficial references.

For me, season two is when the show really gelled in characterization, story, and humor. Who the characters are -- and what they wanted -- drove the plot and humor.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:19 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Considering no one's posted in that thread for over ten years, I'd say any episode that a person considers a classic is a classic. Although I do think certain episodes have more iconic storylines, character moments, and humor than others. A lot of people think "Dine and Dash" (3x13) is a classic, for instance.
A wonderful definition!
Old 12-31-2019, 07:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazzhopper (View Post)
A wonderful definition!
Thanks.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

Interesting. Never really thought about the show in that much depth. Ill try to rank the seasons as I go just based on personal preference. Season 1 has been fun but there has def. been slower episodes imo. And personally Im really sick of the jackie/kelso trainwreck lol.

I finished season 1. I would give it a high 7 or low 8 ranking I think.

I loved to see Hyde moving in with Eric.