Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2020, 05:27 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen3to5 (View Post)
Thanks! I've seen some of your fan art around Tumblr too

Thinking about it, I have to say that my favorite thing about Eric and Jackie's relationship is something Eric never gets to see: whenever Donna and Jackie talk about their relationships, Jackie - through all the usual put-downs about his masculinity - is generally supportive and trusting in Eric as a good boyfriend for Donna.
Neat!

And yeah, she really roots for them, which almost feels like a secret being kept from him, which now that I think about it is actually super cute in a ship context like aw Jackie you liiiiiiike him (or support him for your friend but still Shh its cute you’re cute you like him)
Old 12-18-2020, 09:23 PM
Master Fan

I was a big fan of Jackie and Eric's bantering scenes. Only wish there were a few more of those throughout the seasons.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Noir (View Post)
I was a big fan of Jackie and Eric's bantering scenes. Only wish there were a few more of those throughout the seasons.
Agreed. I wish they'd had more interaction, period. Jackie does talk about Eric a lot, mostly with Donna, but it's not the same.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:22 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Definitely would have loved more Eric and Jackie scenes, that's for sure
Old 06-26-2021, 08:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
Definitely would have loved more Eric and Jackie scenes, that's for sure
You and so many other T7S fans.

I'd want to see J/E develop a begrudging respect and friendship, nothing romantic. They both love the same people (Donna and Hyde), which is a good foundation to work from.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yes it would have
Old 06-26-2021, 10:46 PM
Obsessed Fan

I always saw a lot of bromance potential between them
Old 06-27-2021, 07:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yes it would have

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishik5 (View Post)
I always saw a lot of bromance potential between them
A brosismance (just to make sure Jackie's gender is part of that term ). But, yeah, if Eric and Jackie became really close platonic friends (they truly aren't attracted to each other romantically or physically <--- particularly Jackie toward Eric), that would creep everyone out as much as Jackie and Hyde did becoming romantically involved.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:51 AM
Obsessed Fan

They had their moments though and i would really like if their interactions developed into something more.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Same here
Old 06-28-2021, 07:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
They had their moments though and i would really like if their interactions developed into something more.
Quote:
Same here
Their relationship dynamic was so half-formed that it's tough to pin down what a truly in-character friendship would look like. Whenever Laurie wasn't on the show, Eric (and the writers) transferred his sibling hostility onto her -- to the point of him using the same insults on Jackie as he did Laurie (minus the sl**-shaming). Jackie and Eric agree to become "secret" friends in "Jackie's Cheese Squeeze" (4x19) after Eric trades in his his hostility for compassion. He offers to stay by Jackie's side while she waits for Kelso, to stay by her side as backup support if Kelso were unable to get the proper perspective on what Jackie did -- only for Jackie to betray Eric at the first convenient moment.

"Jackie's Cheese Squeeze" had the potential to change the status quo between Jackie and Eric, but the writers wanted their cake and to eat it, too. In the end, Eric has no reason not to go back resenting Jackie and act hostile toward her. Jackie, obviously, didn't consider Eric's friendship and support worth more than using him as a way of deflecting Kelso's anger at her onto him.

Jackie and Eric's dynamic was given no true, lasting development. In the season 7 finale, Jackie's kind words to him are for a joke because of the above. "Hahahah. Jackie always insulted Eric and acted disgusted by him and treated him disrespectfully, but now she's all, 'You've always been very special to me," etc.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:48 PM
Obsessed Fan

If only writing process on the show was more organic and thoughtful. But we've got what we've got. Luckily we also have you
Old 06-30-2021, 06:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
If only writing process on the show was more organic and thoughtful. But we've got what we've got.
True. I get frustrated (and disappointed) when such potential is wasted, though.

Quote:
Luckily we also have you

While season 6 was a season where Jackie and Donna's friendship should have deepened (storyline squandered), season 7 could've been a great time for Jackie and Eric's friendship to develop. The moment Jackie learns Eric's trying to find what he's passionate about, her ego would take over, and she'd make it her mission to help him. Taking up roller-disco could've been her idea, and he is really surprised how much he likes it. Jackie, of course, tells him he doesn't have a great chance of making a career out of it since roller-disco was on its way out a year ago, but at least he likes it.

The T7S writers, though, were very much about separating Eric from the majority of the other characters, save Donna and his parents. Most episodes, he's not interacting with Hyde, Kelso, Fez, or Jackie in significant ways.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:25 AM
Obsessed Fan

Maybe they were setting up ways to write Topher out of the show?
Old 07-01-2021, 12:41 AM
Fan Forum Legend

That's definitely possible