Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2013, 12:10 PM
New Fan

David & Kelly (Brian and Jennie) #1: From Reluctant Relatives to Lifelong Bond

Here is a new thread dedicated to David and Kelly. I know there is one about David DONNA and Kelly, but that's different.

This is about the relationship between these 2 characters, who ended up half brother and sister, and yet when the show began David is obsessed with Kelly and worships her from afar, never dreaming she will become part of his life in that way.

He desperately wants her. She is his fantasy. In season 1, you can't go an episode without David worshipping Kelly, either trying to sneak up on her with his video camera, giving shout outs on the radio station, or even going to Brenda's house and photographing their slumber party.

As season 2 rolls around, we have the uncomfortable Play it Again, David episode, where Kelly reaches the end of her tolerance for him. Yet it is the beginning of a very different kind of relationship.

Unlike a traditional friendship, this one came about more due to the others in the gang accepting David. Kelly was the last one to accept him, and in the beginning had to choice: her mother began dating his father...Her nightmare of nightmares was coming true.

True throughout season 1 and the first half of season 2, she hated David, only on the last episode does she really come to accept him.

But if you look real closely there are moments between them, even in those early episodes.

Like during the episode Perfect Mom when she thanks him at her house for making the video, and kisses him, yes, kisses him, on the cheek.

Or how about BYOB when she dances with him and says "you're pretty good."

During The Next Fifty Years, when they're leaving Scott's house, she does this really warm gesture to him on her way out, something again you wouldn't expect.

The question I have is this: Does she really hate him at first like she says, or is she slightly turned on by his crush on her?

David's not ugly. He may be dorky at first but that is how he was written to be.

Does Kelly get turned on by knowing this kid has a crush on her?

i suppose we can only try and read between the lines.

I couldn't see a Kelly and David thread anywhere, and so here we are, one dedicated to the probably the most awkward friendship (at least initially) of them all.

Enjoy

Last edited by Crystal Clear; 08-23-2019 at 04:25 PM
Old 09-09-2013, 09:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Hi Beverly,

Thanks for creating the thread. While, the David/Kelly friendship is different than David/Kelly/Donna friendship, I'm not sure if this is a good idea to create a new thread since it took over 5 years for the Kelly/David/Donna thread to get to 226 posts.

I'm thinking we can just have the David/Kelly discussions in the Kelly/David/Donna thread. What do you think?

Feel free to let me know what you think, everybody.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:20 AM
New Fan

I say keep them separate. The other thread might be too long by now and contain too many pages. This way people can build a new one.

Plus, I think you have to agree that David and Kelly on their own do have an interesting relationship.

There are a lot of threads already which deal with friendships between the characters, so why not include this one as well?

Let's let everyone else decide i guess
Old 09-10-2013, 04:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for a thread about these two! Love their deep friendship and they´re wonderful siblings.
Can I be added to the fanlist?
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~Icon by fanforum~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 09-10-2013, 06:52 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWhiteRose (View Post)
Thanks for a thread about these two! Love their deep friendship and they´re wonderful siblings.
Can I be added to the fanlist?
Cool. I knew this would gain people's interest. Besides, there's a Brandon, Dylan and Brenda thread, and then there's a Brandon & Brenda thread, and a Dylan and Brenda thread.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ok. Looks good. Do you or anyone who wants to create an OP (opening page)? Since this is an appreciation thread, I was thinking about renaming this thread as:

David & Kelly Appreciation Thread: Because being siblings brought them closer as friends.

Last edited by heyitsrachel; 09-10-2013 at 07:50 PM
Old 09-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I also think Kelly/David thread makes sense as separate from Kelly/Donna/David thread. They did have a sort of sibling thing going on without Donna, and in S1 she played no role in their complicated interaction They went through so many transformations, but I still sort of think of David first and foremost as Kelly's S1 stalker. I loved how she gradually accepted him though.

Now, about the question if she had a crush on him... I don't think so. She used him to avoid Steve and to help Brandon's campaign, but that's it. Not just he was dorky, he was younger than her and did not use the best way to approach her I mean, who would want to date an indiscrete stalker?! Beside, Kelly was into cool guys. In S1 she tried to make a move on Dylan and Brandon, and her exes Steve and Roger were considered cool... Ross Weber, the guy she lost virginity with, as well. She said in Spring Dance that she dated all the cool guys in school and that she's fed up with them though. So maybe there was a chance for David hadn't they decided to give Donna more space and therefore pair them up. If he had been more of nice appreciative kid maybe Kelly would have decided to go for that instead of coolness and popularity. Kelly and David did share sweet moments in Perfect Mom, B.Y.O.B. and spring Dance. The way S1 looked, I think it sort of headed toward Steve/Kelly/David triangle. S1 was open for so many possibilities

Brenda stands alone. Because she can.
Icon by oth. fan

Last edited by yulan; 09-11-2013 at 12:27 AM
Old 09-11-2013, 04:53 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulan (View Post)
I also think Kelly/David thread makes sense as separate from Kelly/Donna/David thread. They did have a sort of sibling thing going on without Donna, and in S1 she played no role in their complicated interaction They went through so many transformations, but I still sort of think of David first and foremost as Kelly's S1 stalker. I loved how she gradually accepted him though.

Now, about the question if she had a crush on him... I don't think so. She used him to avoid Steve and to help Brandon's campaign, but that's it. Not just he was dorky, he was younger than her and did not use the best way to approach her I mean, who would want to date an indiscrete stalker?! Beside, Kelly was into cool guys. In S1 she tried to make a move on Dylan and Brandon, and her exes Steve and Roger were considered cool... Ross Weber, the guy she lost virginity with, as well. She said in Spring Dance that she dated all the cool guys in school and that she's fed up with them though. So maybe there was a chance for David hadn't they decided to give Donna more space and therefore pair them up. If he had been more of nice appreciative kid maybe Kelly would have decided to go for that instead of coolness and popularity. Kelly and David did share sweet moments in Perfect Mom, B.Y.O.B. and spring Dance. The way S1 looked, I think it sort of headed toward Steve/Kelly/David triangle. S1 was open for so many possibilities
Great points. It could have gone anywhere after season 1, and season 2 David is notably different. I'm glad you noticed the sweet moments between them. Yeah its unlikely it turned her on having him after her, but still, to have an admirer like that does count for something.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It does. I also think she would have appreciated him more and been nicer to him in S1 if he had not been so obsessed with her looks, sex appeal and popularity, but admired her in more shy and modest way, and tried to get to know her as person. I think she would have fallen for that, romantically or as a friend.

Icon by oth. fan
Old 07-11-2016, 05:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

Loved them as siblings.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~Icon by fanforum~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 07-11-2016, 07:11 AM
Master Fan

I thought they were hilarious as step siblings
Old 07-11-2016, 08:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I thought it would be like Cruel Intentions and David will still have the hots for Kelly. Ok, maybe it's not exactly like Cruel Intentions..but still.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I love this scene:

Icon by oth. fan
Old 07-12-2016, 04:32 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsrachel (View Post)
I thought it would be like Cruel Intentions and David will still have the hots for Kelly. Ok, maybe it's not exactly like Cruel Intentions..but still.
Could have been but at least Kelly didn't say "Down boy"
I can imagine David saying: Oh come onnnn!!
I think you know which scene I'm referring to in Cruel Intentions - which was a good movie even though I'm not a fan of Sarah Michelle Gellar

I liked that scene as well Esma

Last edited by HipHopKingMike; 07-12-2016 at 08:29 AM
Old 07-12-2016, 07:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think Shannon could've played the Sarah Michelle Gellar part just as well.

"You can put it anywhere."

Closed Thread   Post New Thread