Old 06-09-2021, 03:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulan (View Post)
S1 David was so silly.
He was adorable!
Also, I know some people probably perceive his behavior (towards Kelly) as creepy but I just saw a naive young teen who wanted to be noticed.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 06-10-2021, 12:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Well, he invaded her privacy way too much and way too often although she protested it, so I do not really find that charming. But he also had sweet and funny moments.

Brenda stands alone. Because she can.
Icon by oth. fan
Old 06-10-2021, 12:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I see what you mean, but I never enjoyed when she dwelled on it when it was convenient for her to be nasty. Like that time in season 2 when Jackie and Mel are on a date, and how Kelly just starts using it against David to drive them apart. The look on David's face should be enough to shut her up; he was clearly remorseful and humiliated.

I think back then, TV shows had a habit of portraying outsider characters spying on people for 'comical effect'. They did it in Saved by the Bell; the main guys often spied on the girls - in locker rooms, in bedrooms etc and audiences laughed along. It's ironic that what was perceived as funny back then is completely rejected as acceptable now, but yep we've changed with the times.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 06-11-2021, 01:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I see what you mean, but I never enjoyed when she dwelled on it when it was convenient for her to be nasty. Like that time in season 2 when Jackie and Mel are on a date, and how Kelly just starts using it against David to drive them apart. The look on David's face should be enough to shut her up; he was clearly remorseful and humiliated.
I do not think it was just an excuse for her to be nasty She did not do that out of meanness. She was scared she would have to share her mother again, and I think it was quite understandable that she did not like David. I personally thought that he finally got a lesson he deserved, for disregarding Kelly's protests before.

And he learned something indeed, given he never repeated such a behaviour. So, positive points for him. Maybe he gave up because their parents started dating, but maybe also because he finally got the message that such a behaviour was not welcome.

Somehow her harsh scolding in front of their parents was supposed to be a bigger problem and rudeness than him following her into intimate spaces like a dressing room with the camera without her consent. Over and over. Uhm, no.

Quote:
I think back then, TV shows had a habit of portraying outsider characters spying on people for 'comical effect'. They did it in Saved by the Bell; the main guys often spied on the girls - in locker rooms, in bedrooms etc and audiences laughed along. It's ironic that what was perceived as funny back then is completely rejected as acceptable now, but yep we've changed with the times.
Just because something was considered acceptable back in time does not mean it should have been. "Black face" mask and open racism was also considered ok for "comical effects", for example. Spying on girls to see them without clothes, and even worse, to film them, either for the sake of public distribution or private masturbation or whatever, is never ok, especially if the girls say so. I was not happy when the boys in high school spied and peeped into the locker room, for sure. No one was.

That could eventually be funny if the peeping Toms are caught and punished, which David sort of was, so in that sense, comical effect sort of worked. But not the normalization and romanticization of his behaviour. However, he was also not properly scolded until Kelly did that at the dinner. And I will say it again, that finally worked.

Icon by oth. fan

Last edited by yulan; 06-11-2021 at 01:16 AM
Old 06-11-2021, 03:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulan (View Post)
I do not think it was just an excuse for her to be nasty She did not do that out of meanness. She was scared she would have to share her mother again, and I think it was quite understandable that she did not like David. I personally thought that he finally got a lesson he deserved, for disregarding Kelly's protests before.
I know she schemed with Steve to be the evil step-daughter who Mel would not want to live with and her agenda was clear. And yes, David's behavior had been problematic. But I think that Kelly got a wake-up call from her own behavior as much as David did. Sometimes, tact goes a long way. She thought she was more mature than a "geek" like David, and tried to be clever at that dinner table. But all she ended up doing was bringing them closer together as a found family, so I guess fate has its funny ways of making things work out
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 06-12-2021, 04:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I know she schemed with Steve to be the evil step-daughter who Mel would not want to live with and her agenda was clear.
Well, I would not exactly call it a scheming. Steve gave her a quick advice and she followed it through... literally It is not like they set up some elaborate plan and intrigue.

Quote:
But I think that Kelly got a wake-up call from her own behavior as much as David did. Sometimes, tact goes a long way.
Of course. That was the point, I guess.

Quote:
She thought she was more mature than a "geek" like David, and tried to be clever at that dinner table.
I am not sure how much maturity we can count on when we talk about 16-17 year-old teens I don't think her goal there was to be mature. On the contrary, she probably wanted to look as immature as possible to chase Mel away. After all, she was just a teen who wanted her elusive mother for herself. I don't think maturity matters in that. It reminded me of Perfect Mom scene when Jackie said they were best friends, and she said she needed a mother, not a friend.

But she did consider herself superior to David, that's for sure.

Quote:
But all she ended up doing was bringing them closer together as a found family, so I guess fate has its funny ways of making things work out
Well, that point was too early to call them a family. I guess it would not have been an interesting SL had the things run smoothly also. But I did like how she was there for Jackie during all the turmoils with Mel.

Somehow I never really got to see all 5 of them as a family. Maybe because the marriage was so short-lived. And later when Jackie and Mel reconciled, Kelly and David were already adults (young, but adults) and it did not seem significant somehow, IDK.

I liked David's reaction at that dinner table. Embarrassment was proper, and he got positive points. Not as a victim, but as someone who was able to take the blame, and then empathy too because the scene was too much. He did not get angry and defensive. Steve would have got all self-righteous and probably called her a **** in front of their parents, for example. David was nice and embarrassed, and he apologized.

And he was super cute and empathetic at the end of the episode too.

Icon by oth. fan
Old 06-19-2021, 07:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

He was so hot on Desperate Housewives

~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 06-19-2021, 07:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Indeed. I liked his character.

Icon by oth. fan
Old 06-19-2021, 12:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

I did not know he was on there.
I am an original”
Old 06-19-2021, 12:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Icon by oth. fan
Old 06-20-2021, 02:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstock87 (View Post)
I did not know he was on there.
Oh. You can watch it on Disney Plus. He was in Season 7.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 06-20-2021, 02:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Icon by oth. fan
Old 06-22-2021, 12:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

With all his kids:

Icon by oth. fan
Old 06-22-2021, 06:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

Wow four! Not bad!
Old 06-22-2021, 06:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, and they're so pretty!

Glad to see Kassius (his son with Vanessa) there too.

Icon by oth. fan
Closed Thread   Post New Thread