Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2020, 04:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

^^ Aww that split down the middle charm necklace. I used to get those type of things with good friends.

The season 4 look of Brenda was so good, she wore so much plaid. Oh and I loved those little moments she shared with Dylan in the corridor of university. You can see their bond begin to re-establish after the strain of season 3 tore everything about them apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulan (View Post)
It's a scene when she tells him and Brandon that she's got a role of Maggie the Cat, I think.
Ah yes! Thank you
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 12-26-2020, 04:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Aww that split down the middle charm necklace. I used to get those type of things with good friends.
Aww, cute!

Quote:
The season 4 look of Brenda was so good, she wore so much plaid.
She wore it in S3 as well, and even a bit in S2, but somehow it looked much better in S4.

Quote:
Oh and I loved those little moments she shared with Dylan in the corridor of university. You can see their bond begin to re-establish after the strain of season 3 tore everything about them apart.
I loved them too. It was not just reestablishing or reaffirming the connection, but it had some new quality, new understanding between them. On the intellectual level. Brenda and Dylan were always depicted as smart and interested in art, but we did not see them discussing it much while they were in a relationship, because they were too focused... on a relationship Now poetry talks were such a new pleasure for me as a fan.

I also do not think the strain of S3 tore everything about them apart. It did seem so in Back in the High Life Again, which seemed written and done by some people who were never connected with the show. But already Parental Guidance Recommended reassured us who and what Brenda/Dylan were, with Iris' line "You stood by him when no one else did" and "This is just one step in a long journey" or whatever was the other line. And the very next episode, The Child Is Father to the Man, cemented that their connection is indestructible. S3 finale made it even more clear.

Quote:
Ah yes! Thank you
You're welcome.

Brenda stands alone. Because she can.
Icon by oth. fan

Last edited by yulan; 12-28-2020 at 05:35 AM
Old 12-28-2020, 07:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Icon by oth. fan
Old 12-29-2020, 02:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

^ Aww what a sweet cuddle. And her gold dress was very Xmas themed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulan (View Post)
Brenda and Dylan were always depicted as smart and interested in art, but we did not see them discussing it much while they were in a relationship, because they were too focused... on a relationship Now poetry talks were such a new pleasure for me as a fan.
That's an excellent point. In seasons 1 and 2, they were too busy with passionately sucking each other's faces to have a really deep conversation (other than the 'Isn't It Romantic?' serious talk they had about AIDS, of course.)

I just thought of the 'Desperate Valentine' episode where this literally is the plot for them - Brenda wants to talk more but Dylan just wants to make out.

Quote:
I also do not think the strain of S3 tore everything about them apart. It did seem so in Back in the High Life Again, which seemed written and done by some people who were never connected with the show. But already Parental Guidance Recommended reassured us who and what Brenda/Dylan were, with Iris' line "You stood by him when no one else did" and "This is just one step in a long journey" or whatever was the other line. And the very next episode, The Child Is Father to the Man, cemented that their connection is indestructible. S3 finale made it even more clear.
I have so many mixed feelings about season 3. Every time I go back to revisit any D/B episode involving the triangle (which is basically episode 2 onwards), I just have this uncomfortable feeling watching them together after hearing all the retcon "playground soulmates" stuff for D/K and all those romantic moments he had with Kelly under the stars.... Such a huge betrayal to Brenda from both of them. It was hard for me to really want Brenda with Dylan again after it all unfolded and he quite literally chose Kelly in that awful show-changing episode.

Yes I did love the Iris moments with Brenda but I'm not sure it really counts as good D/B material if his mother is the one doing all the hopeful talking whilst Dylan is busy making out with Brenda's best friend in the same timeline. The writing just got so sleazy by that point, I stopped caring about Dylan until the Erica siblings bond developed in season 4.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 12-29-2020, 10:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

That’s a very sweet picture of them. She looks great in the gold dress.

I loved them re connecting in season four.
I am an original”
Old 01-01-2021, 04:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstock87 (View Post)
I loved them re connecting in season four.
It was very much needed for them to get back to a healthy place with each other, in the race against time towards Shannen's departure. I'm sure that many of the writers feel embarrassed about how much DB were torn apart in season 3. It's one thing for them to break up but the various retcons which took place in order for the triangle with Kelly to go full steam ahead was insulting to fans' intelligence.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 01-03-2021, 03:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
In seasons 1 and 2, they were too busy with passionately sucking each other's faces to have a really deep conversation (other than the 'Isn't It Romantic?' serious talk they had about AIDS, of course.)

Well they actually had a lot of deep conversations in S1-2, AIDS talk is absolutely not the only one. About Dylan's dad, his alcoholism, what she meant to him, how he fell for her, his scar, his mother, his additional struggles with alcoholism, how lucky they were to find each other etc. etc. There's a lot of examples. Those deep conversations were about their relationship or themselves and the other issues, not about the art. S4 brought the conversations about that too. Although, talking about art in way was what brought them together - when he asked her whether she watched Animal Crackers and they talked about the old movies.

Quote:
I just thought of the 'Desperate Valentine' episode where this literally is the plot for them - Brenda wants to talk more but Dylan just wants to make out.
And eventually he realizes she is deeply involved in music, has respect for it and falls for it too. That is what I liked - they were both into making out with each other and into the concert. It's not like one had to exclude the other.

I like the scene in S3 Christmas episode when Kelly asks the two of them whether they find Shakespeare boring and they both say no. Although it was a triangle time when Kelly/Dylan were favored, scenes like this showed subtly what Brenda and Dylan had in common. And this followed:

Quote:
Yes I did love the Iris moments with Brenda but I'm not sure it really counts as good D/B material if his mother is the one doing all the hopeful talking whilst Dylan is busy making out with Brenda's best friend in the same timeline.
It does, IMO, because insights from someone external to triangle were very much needed. It would not matter so much from Dylan himself so fast because it would drag the triangle some more. Brenda and Dylan needed some distance from each other. Iris was a good person to give a statement on the state of affairs because she had an insight into different stages of their relationship, did care about Dylan, and was supposed to be sort of wise.

Icon by oth. fan
Old 01-05-2021, 05:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

I did always enjoy their conversations. They hit some deep in them.
I am an original”
Old 01-06-2021, 01:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Icon by oth. fan
Old 01-06-2021, 04:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I always loved their shared interest in literature

I still remember when Dylan had to literally force a bond with Kelly in season 3 over old movies that she had never seen. With Brenda, nothing had to be forced.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 01-10-2021, 11:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I still remember when Dylan had to literally force a bond with Kelly in season 3 over old movies that she had never seen. With Brenda, nothing had to be forced.
Caro once said, "What Kelly demanded from him Brenda was getting effortlessly." So true.

Icon by oth. fan
Old 01-10-2021, 09:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

I loved their bond over literature as well. It was so natural.
I am an original”
Old 01-11-2021, 06:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Indeed. I am really impressed that writers managed to add something new to the old pairing without making it seem forced.

Icon by oth. fan
Old 01-13-2021, 02:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

So great:

Icon by oth. fan
Old 01-14-2021, 10:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

I love that!
I am an original”
Closed Thread   Post New Thread