Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Master Fan

Helena Bonham Carter #1 - One of the Most Diverse Actresses of All Time!

Who is Helena?
Helena Bonham Carter, daughter of Raymond Bonham Carter, a merchant banker, and Elena Bonham Carter (née Propper de Callejón), a psychotherapist, was born in Golders Green, London, England on May 26, 1966 and is the youngest of three children. She is the great-granddaughter of former Prime Minister Herbert H. Asquith and her blue-blooded family tree also contains Barons and Baronesses, diplomats, and a director, Bonham Carter's great-uncle Anthony Asquith, who made Pygmalion (1938) and The Importance of Being Earnest (1952), among others. Cousin Crispin Bonham-Carter is also an actor.

After experiencing family dramas that included her father's stroke-which left him wheelchair-bound-and attending South Hampstead High School and Westminster School in London, Bonham Carter devoted herself to an acting career. That trajectory actually began in 1979 when, at age 13, she entered a national poetry writing competition and used her second place winnings to place her photo in the casting directory "Spotlight." She soon had her first agent and her first acting job, in a commercial, at age 16. She then landed a role in the made-for-TV movie A Pattern of Roses (1983) (TV), which subsequently led to her casting in the Merchant Ivory films A Room with a View (1985) and Lady Jane (1986), which was her first leading role.

Often referred to as the "corset queen" or "English rose" because of her early work, Bonham Carter has continued to surprise audiences with magnificent performances in a variety of roles from her more traditional corset-clad character in The Wings of the Dove (1997) and Shakespearian damsels to the dark and neurotic anti-heroines of Fight Club (1999) and many of Tim Burton's films. Though consistently a versatile and engaging actress, Bonham Carter has never won a major American film award. However, she has received a number of critical awards and has been nominated for five Golden Globes, an Oscar, a SAG Award, and two Emmys.

Bonham Carter was nominated for a Golden Globe for the fifth time for her role in partner Tim Burton's film adaptation of the Steven Sondheim musical, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007), for which Burton and co-star Johnny Depp were also nominated. Since their meeting while filming Planet of the Apes (2001), Bonham Carter and Burton have made four movies together. They live in adjoining residences in London, sharing a connecting hallway, and have two children: Billy Ray Burton, 4, and Nell Burton, who was born December 15, 2007. Ironically, a mutual love of Sweeney Todd was part of the initial attraction for the pair. Despite that, Bonham Carter has said in numerous interviews that her audition process for the role of Mrs. Lovett was the most grueling of her career and that, ultimately, it was Sondheim who she had to convince that she was right for the role.

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Pt 2

Helena returns at Bellatrix Lestrange in the finale
installment of Harry Potter, which releases 7/15/11

Watch Newest Trailer

Whats Next for Helena?
Dark Shadows
Role: Dr. Julia Hoffman
Director: Tim Burton
Type: Film
Release: 11th May 2012

Great Expectations
Role: Miss Havisham
Director: Mike Newell
Type: Film
Release: Autumn 2012

HBC Worshipers
Ice Queen Follower (Cordy)
CHAD_Major (Marilyn)
AudreyRose (Audrey)
Darya_James (Darya)
sethamgal
XXXEmmaXXX
snatches of sunshine
LaraCroft01
Queen C[
lowriderSTi
Jacquelyn
JacksonAvery
mcgonagalls
hiddleskittlesღ
effie
baelfire24

HBC Questionnaire!
1. Why do you like Helena?
2. What is your favorite character and why?
3. What is your favorite movie and why?
4. What new project are you looking forward to most?

darylbeth

Last edited by your creation; 02-28-2013 at 01:02 AM
Ice Queen follower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:08 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for starting the thread

&& Helena really is one of the most underrated actress out there

Every role: small or big her performance is amazing

Can I be added to the list?
Marilyn
|Sweet Disposition| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:13 AM
New Fan

I'm Audrey, just joined FanForum and have just been scanning through some threads. And I finally came across this HBC one. How awesome! I adore her! But, aside from that, I'll fill out the Helena Questionnaire

1. Why do you like Helena? Not only is she extremely talented, but she isn't afraid to be herself in any situation. It's very refreshing and inspiring!
2. What is your favorite character and why? Dinah from The Heart of Me, I'm not exactly sure why, but there was something about her spirit that was just beautiful and completely stood out to me.
3. What is your favorite movie and why? Till Human Voices Wake Us, so beautiful and so underrated. I love this film above others because it's a symbolic, artsy love story that is full of perfect cinematography and wonderful acting.
4. What new project are you looking forward to most? Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2! I cannot wait!

And, if you're adding people to the list, I would love to be added
- Audrey Hepburn
AudreyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Part-Time Fan

She's such an amazing actress, I love all of her movies to tell you the truth.

Fight Club and Sweeney Todd are one of a kind.

Add me please?
Darya_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Master Fan

Welcome everyone! So happy to see some more fans I was getting worried I was all alone!

I'll add everyone to the list today and my answers for the questionnaire.

Did everyone get to see the latest Harry Potter trailer? I'm excited and sad for the Bella/Molly duel.

darylbeth
Old 06-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Part-Time Fan

Yeah the movie look good though. I'm so looking foward to it.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Master Fan

Same here! I'm really excited for Great Expectations! It was one of my favorite books as a kid, I'm so happy that she will be in it.

1. Why do you like Helena? She is unlike any other. Not afraid to be herself, screw what the rest of the world says, if you're happy with your self then that is all that matters. Her talent is extraordinary, how she can range from one height to another, its fantastic!

2. What is your favorite character and why?
This is a hard one, I love pretty much all her characters. To choose one, right now I would say Bellatrix simply because it is what is currently in my mind due to DH2 excitement.

3. What is your favorite movie and why? Again, another truly hard choice for me. The Kings Speech was just amazing, her performance blew me away, truly no words can describe it.

4. What new project are you looking forward to most? Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Pt 2, Great Expectations

darylbeth
Old 06-17-2011, 12:33 PM
MST Manager

Thanks for starting this thread here. Welcome to all the fans that have joined!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Master Fan

Your welcome! I was quite shocked there wasn't already a thread for her! I am very happy to have started it, and got two newbies along with it So very exciting.

darylbeth
Old 06-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Part-Time Fan

Has anybody seen The King's Speech?
Old 06-17-2011, 03:31 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darya_James (View Post)
I have, and I thought it was phenomenal. Well-deserving off all the awards and praise it garnered. Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush were great, but - although for her lack of screen-time, Helena Bonham Carter was definitely the screen stealer.

I highly recommend it to whoever hasn't seen it already!
- Audrey Hepburn
AudreyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darya_James (View Post)
Yes, it was great! As Audrey says, Helena is not on screen as much as you would hope, but each scene she was in, you took notice. She stole the movie.

Btw, I'm watching Sixty Six on Netflix now. Haven't seen this one yet. Its a british film, of course, she plays the boys mother.

darylbeth
Old 06-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Part-Time Fan

Old 06-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Master Fan

Fight Club is one of my faves!

Here are some Helena icons I've made, thought I'd bring them over

darylbeth

Last edited by Ice Queen follower; 06-17-2011 at 06:29 PM
Old 06-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Moderator Support Team

awesome thread can i be added to the list?
Summer Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top