Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2004, 09:39 AM
Part-Time Fan

Ethan Hawke Appreciation thread 1

I like very much this actor and there arent' any forum to talk about him!!!!

Do you like him!???? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-17-2004, 09:44 AM
Part-Time Fan

Old 04-17-2004, 09:49 AM
Part-Time Fan

taking lives with Ethan Hawke

Oscar-nominee Ethan Hawke again surrounds himself with talent in his latest movie thriller, "Taking Lives."

Hawke tells The Early Show co-anchor Rene Syler in “Taking Lives,“ his character, local art dealer James Costa “witnesses this brutal crime and because of that, he gets stuck in this investigation and starts falling in love with his leading investigative officer.”

The officer is FBI profiler, Special Agent Illeana Scott (Angelina Jolie), who has been tracking the killer. She uses Costa as bait because he may be the killer's next victim.

It was easy to imagine his character falling in love with Jolie's Scott. “Doesn’t take a lot of method work to imagine that,” he says. He actually compares his co-star with Marilyn Monroe.

“I hope she wouldn’t mind me saying," he says, "I have a theory she’s kind of in the 2000s what Marilyn Monroe was in the ‘50s because women love her and men love her. She has this overt sensuality, sexuality. But in her case, Marilyn was a victim, as a ‘50s kind of women, and there is something deeply empowering about Angelina. I really like her. I never worked with somebody that commanded so much attention.”

Another star he enjoyed working with in the film is Kiefer Sutherland, who like Hawke started acting at a young age.

Hawke notes, “A little affinity with him. He’s still here; we’re still getting to do this. But then, also, he’s very good. When I was 14 and saw him in ‘Stand By Me," he was like the best actor I have ever seen.”

To continue to enjoy the craft, Hawke says, he likes to take a break between projects to recharge his batteries.

He explains, “Because I started acting so young, I felt a real need to kind of constantly reassess what it means to me. You know, the child actors who then grow up, it’s a long casualty list. There are very few people like Kiefer, myself, who get to keep doing it and keep enjoying it. The key to be able to keep doing it is to keep enjoying it.

"I also like to write," he says. "I have written a couple of books. I take off time and I do that. And I’ve got a couple of kids. The problem with making movies is you always have to travel, which is really hard on the whole parenting thing, to uproot yourself to Montreal, L.A., wherever it is.”

About his family life, he has managed to handle his separation from wife Uma Thurman with candor while something so private has been played out in the media.

Hawke notes, “The truth of the matter is that ‘Dead Poets Society’ came out when I was 18. I’ve had to do all my learning in front of people. So I feel like I don’t really know it any other way. I know it’s an added element. I wish it weren’t that way.

"I sometimes make a joke that I call it, like, a luxury tax, like I have so many great things in my life that it’s the little tax on having so much good fortune, that you got to have people think they know something about you, you have to experience other people’s judgments or opinion or whatever. Nobody likes that.”

And yet he says, he has learned not to let that bother him.

He says, “Life is painful. Ultimately, the only thing that’s really painful is the reality of life. What other people say about you is irritating, but it’s not legitimate suffering. I mean, people talk. It doesn’t matter if you’re stacking groceries at the Piggly-Wiggly in Kansas City, people are just going to talk smack about you. It’s still going to hurt your feelings. So you just got to try to believe in yourself and know if you make mistakes that it’s really how you respond to them that matters. And what people say about you doesn’t really matter. It doesn’t amount to that much.”

Some Facts About Ethan Hawke

Ethan Hawke was born in Austin, Texas, in 1970.

His parents divorced when Hawke was 3 years old. He moved with mother, making stops in Vermont, Georgia and New York before eventually settling in West Windsor, N.J., when she remarried when he was 10.

Hawke made his feature acting debut in Joe Dante's "Explorers" in 1985.

Hawke published his first novel, "The Hottest State" in 1996.

In 1997, he starred in the sci-fi thriller "Gattaca" with Uma Thurman, whom he later married and divorced.

In 2001, Hawke earned an Oscar nomination for his role in "Training Day."

The writer/actor made his feature-film directorial debut in 2002 with "Chelsea Walls", based on Dylan Thomas' "Under Milkwood"; it starred Uma Thurman.
http://www.cbsnews.com
Old 04-17-2004, 10:09 AM
Part-Time Fan

Ethan talks about him and Uma
http://www.celebrity-exchange.com/ce...than-hawke.jpg

This famously earnest actor earned an Oscar nomination for Training Day and is set to appear in the thriller Taking Lives alongside Angelina Jolie, although these days his personal life is what's grabbing the headlines.

"I'm 33 years old. While I'm sitting here my marriage is not working," Hawke told ABCNEWS. "Everybody knows it."

Last year, Hawke and his wife actress Uma Thurman split after eight years together. Their union produced a daughter and a son, and their breakup became a media sensation. "It's like this is our marriage … and now there's all these other voices in the room,' said Hawke.

"You know you hate to have your grandfather read about it. You hate to … that's what makes you feel ashamed you know," said Hawke.

Finale to a Red Carpet Romance

Hawke and Thurman became acquainted on the set of the sci-fi drama Gattaca, and fans proceeded to watch them with admiration as they wed and were then frequently photographed at high-profile events.

The fanfare turned to scathing headlines more recently when tabloids claimed that Hawke had an affair while shooting a film in Montreal.

"Uma and I did not split up over anybody's infidelity," said Hawke. "We had a lot of problems before I ever went to Montreal. "

Hawke believes he and the luminous star of Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill were undone by the stresses of married life between two successful actors. "You know you'd come up with these rules: 'One person works, the other person doesn't. Well, then somebody's always out of town,'" said Hawke.

When they decided to travel together, different complications arose.

"Then I'm living in a hotel room taking care of my kids while you're off on a film set six hours a day doing what you love. Do that for nine months and see what a good mood you're in," said Hawke. "I don't know if it's just too hard to be married to a woman that wants to be a movie star. I know that she has that right to want that."

Celebrity Bites

But Hawke questioned if he simply has too much "boy" in him to make it work. Yet it's the boy in Hawke that Hollywood always prized.

He started acting in movies when he was 14, after being raised in Texas and New Jersey by a socially conscious mother. Hawke said he had a general "mistrust" of anybody wealthy, which proved a conflict when the offers starting flooding in following his success as a brooding musician in Reality Bites alongside Winona Ryder.

As Hawke explained it, "The more money they offered me, the more I thought I probably shouldn't do this."

"And that was the real pivotal moment where I just didn't want to be famous," said Hawke. "You know I was really, I was really scared of it."

He says being thrust into celebrity too young can destroy any sense of humility. "As a young man … you don't know anything about yourself. And add on to that, you're on the cover of magazines. People are interviewing you about what you think," said Hawke. "You feel like a real phony.

"And I met a lot of famous people when I was about 24. And none of them seemed very appealing," said Hawke. "And so I didn't know why I would struggle to be that kind of person."

So he put the brakes on his acting career, and spent two years writing his first novel, The Hottest State. When he returned to films, he preferred roles in quirky low-budget projects and was turning down offers like Independence Day.

"I read like 30 pages of it and, 'this is garbage,' and I threw it out the window … and so then that Fourth of July I had to go and watch like everybody fill in and watch Will Smith in this part," said Hawke. "I didn't even get those lines that were supposed to be funny."

Growing Up

Turning down major roles may not have been the savviest career move. Hawke has since realized it was "cocky" to turn down offers thinking they would be there when he was ready for the stardom.

It eventually took a big boost from director Antoine Fuqua to put him in the Training Day car alongside Denzel Washington. Hawke's Oscar nomination for his "good cop" role has led to higher-profile Hollywood offers.

His next big project is as a guy who's witnessed a murder in the gritty drama Taking Lives, which opens later this month. Then he'll revive his Before Sunrise character in the sequel Before Sunset due out in June.

Meanwhile, Thurman's career is hotter than ever; thanks to her spectacular work in part one of Quentin Tarantino's ultra-violent epic Kill Bill.

As their lives move forward apart, Hawke says he misses their "dream." So how does he deal with having the whole world see Thurman pictured in a magazine — with another man?

"Yeah, it's very tough. You know and so you gotta start — you know you gotta think about your kids," said Hawke. "It's really important to me that their mother be happy. And that I be happy … That's the way grownups do these things … So that's what I'm trying to be. Grown up."

http://abcnews.go.com
Old 04-17-2004, 10:13 AM
Part-Time Fan

first pics about Before Sunset!!!!

[img]null[/img]

Old 04-24-2004, 04:37 PM
Part-Time Fan

Old 05-03-2004, 06:35 AM
Part-Time Fan

he have a new fan page!!!!!!!
http://www.fan-sites.org/ethan-hawke

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2004, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by esthercs
Hawke made his feature acting debut in Joe Dante's "Explorers" in 1985.
I haven't seen that movie in ages. I loved it when I was a kid.

I definitely want to see "Before Sunset".
Old 08-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Part-Time Fan

8/11/4 Ethan Hawke with his kids in Central Park
Old 08-11-2004, 06:14 PM
Pav
Elite Fan

I love Ethan since I saw ALIVE. Thanks for opening the thread!
Old 08-12-2004, 02:18 PM
Part-Time Fan

Yeah!!! I saw him for the first time in Reality Bites and one of my favorites films: Before Sunrise. After them I searched for more films like Alive....
Anyone knows any good website about him???
Old 07-13-2005, 06:41 AM
Passionate Fan

A few pics to bump this thread...
*click to see large*
Old 09-06-2005, 12:58 AM
Elite Fan

MIDDLE GROUND

Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke team up for a play date with their children Maya, 7, and Roan, 3 (not pictured) at a New York City park on Thursday. The actors, who were married for five years, split in 2003.

Source: people.com
Old 09-06-2005, 01:58 AM
Passionate Fan

NIce to see that they're stell getting along. And that they just look like a total random family is so adorable. Glad they're not pulling the Madonna/Posh Spice way...
Old 06-06-2006, 11:41 PM
Master Fan

Just dropping some Ethan-themed avatars...

[07]Before Sunrise
[14]Before Sunset

Preview:

More for your viewing pleasure ...
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top