Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-08-2005, 05:32 AM
Absolute Fan

Which fandoms do you write for?

I love writing and reading fics. However, I tend to write fics in only specific fandoms. While I enjoy and read fics from other fandoms, I'll stick to only one or two when it comes to writing.

For example, I love Veronica Mars, Alias, Lost, and Harry Potter. I have read almost all the Veronica Mars fics I could get my hands on, I read Harry Potter and Alias fics from time to time, and I read and write Lost fics. I don't write Veronica Mars fics because I don't have any plot bunnies that won't get out of my head. And I don't write Alias and Harry Potter because I feel the fandom is too big for a itty bitty tiny person like me. I get scared I'll be eaten alive

So do you all write in the fandoms you have interest in or do you just stick to a select few?
Old 02-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Elite Fan

While I read many other fandoms like The OC, Smallville or Queer as Folk, I only feel comfortable writing Young Americans fanfiction. It is probably because I am very familiar with the characters and the storylines, but also because, like you, big fandoms with thousands of stories and many more characters and storylines scare me. For example, I wouldn't dare to write a Smallville fic because I haven't even watched that show a lot and was never a real fan, the only reason I read SV fics is because I need my occasional Clark/Lex slash.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Addicted Fan

For "real" fic (i.e. actual stories) I've only written for Smallville, and only two full stories. (I'm working on a Harry Potter one, but that's not really moving.)

For parodies, I write just about anything that crosses my path. So far I've done Shakespeare, Star Trek, Phantom of the Opera, Lord of the Rings, and a lot of Smallville. I'm definitely better at mocking other people's stories than at writing my own.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Master Fan

I only write for Young Americans. Sometimes I'd do a crossover between YA and some other fandom (BtVS, the Matrix) but that's about it. I think the main reason is because I'm not really into fanfic writing anymore. I'm continuing with YA because I'm in the middle of a series. But once that's finished I think my fic writing days will be over.

I would love to write for Harry Potter and explore some dark interesting crevice, but as mentioned above, the huge fandom is a little intimidating. Mostly because there are lots of fabulous writers there already dealing with a range of important and interesting storylines, and I'm not sure what I can really bring to the mix.

fics | vids | stupid little life
Old 02-08-2005, 04:59 PM
Obsessed Fan

Hmmm...I think I've only really written for Roswell and TFATF. I'm not sure why that is, since I love (and read) a ton of other fandoms. Maybe those are the only ones I've felt I had anything new to add to?
Old 02-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Master Fan

I'm completely swamped with schoolwork this year, but I used to write a lot of Roswell and a bit of Buffy fic (and Ros/Buffy crossovers, of course). I'd like to write Point Pleasant fic as well as return to Roswell and Buffy, but I don't know if I'll ever have time to write for PP.

Old 02-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Addicted Fan

I've write mainly for the Harry Potter fandom. I used to write for the Dawson's Creek fandom in my mid-teens.

I've also written short stories and poetry for other fandoms. Er, a ficlet for 'The Hours,' a poem for 'The Narnia Series.' Other random things over the years.

Gabrielle
Old 02-09-2005, 02:51 AM
Dedicated Fan

I write Smallville fan fic, Clark based fan fiction. I've only been reading fan fiction since i got into Smallville so i'm not really familiar with other fandoms.

~*Write Your Soul Down Word For Word*~

*This is Smallville Clark, Land of the Strange, Home of the Weird"
Old 02-09-2005, 03:29 AM
Master Fan

I write mostly all Queer as Folk fics and that's all I read too (unless its a cross-over with another show containing QaF like The OC or Dark Angel)

I love writing for this fandom because I know about all the main authors of the archive I post my stories on, Plus I just love the show.

I dabble in Young Americans time to time...but I don't update nearly as I do my QaF fics

Old 02-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Master Fan

It's so cool that you write for so many different fandoms. I like it.

*takes a deep breathe*

I write for Stargate, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Scrubs, Dark Angel and hopefully soon NCIS. I know, I know...only I can take the first step and start writing it myself.

Oh, and I love crossover stories. Adore them completly.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversun
I only write for Young Americans. Sometimes I'd do a crossover between YA and some other fandom (BtVS, the Matrix) but that's about it. I think the main reason is because I'm not really into fanfic writing anymore. I'm continuing with YA because I'm in the middle of a series. But once that's finished I think my fic writing days will be over.

I would love to write for Harry Potter and explore some dark interesting crevice, but as mentioned above, the huge fandom is a little intimidating. Mostly because there are lots of fabulous writers there already dealing with a range of important and interesting storylines, and I'm not sure what I can really bring to the mix.
Silversun: I say just go for it if you are comfortable with the characters. I've loved many shows, and there were quite a few that I never missed an episode - Hill Street Blues, Beauty and the Beast, China Beach - but I only write for BtVS and AtS. And that's because I think that I can write many of the characters pretty well, and it's the one show at present that I feel where I can still find avenues to explore.

It can be quite an intimidating fandom with thousands of fanfics and a somewhat divided fanbase, and you'll likely never see me on a suggested fanfic list, but despite the many stories and plots out there, I've felt some satisfaction at coming up with some rather original plots that still fit well into the Buffy/Angelverse. That's my favorite thing, and why I'll likely continue to write in this verse, because even if I only get a few reviews, I still love reading "This is the strangest, most original story I've ever read." Hee. I amuse easily.

Oh and "You really write - insert character name here - very well." doesn't hurt either.

So if you love Harry Potter - go for it. With all of the Harry Potter fans, there are still some I'm sure who will be looking for that new angle that only you have to offer.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Nymph
So if you love Harry Potter - go for it. With all of the Harry Potter fans, there are still some I'm sure who will be looking for that new angle that only you have to offer.
That is assuming that I actually do have an interesting new angle to explore. Which at the moment seems a bit unlikely. Oh well, perhaps one day inspiration will strike.

Feel free to call me Nicky, by the way.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:56 AM
Master Fan

Lorency: You write for Lord of the rings that is so scary...I could never write in that fandom...what couples do you write?

Old 02-10-2005, 07:49 AM
Dedicated Fan

I'm one of those people who started writing fan fic by writing real-people fic. I don't do too much of that now, but when I do, I write the occasional story about *NSYNC members.

I've been writing fiction for Degrassi for a little over a year now, and so far I've done two shorts about Lost. I've written one crappy Moulin Rouge short, part of a Baby-Sitters Club round robin 'fic (don't laugh! Okay, laugh if you want to. ), and a short about one of the characters in Sloppy Firsts. Everything else is just fragments that I've never finished.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Master Fan

Ooh! I used to love the Baby Sitter's Club! Still do, I think.