Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Master Fan

National Board Of Reviews has named AMWM as one of their top 10 Independent Films:
Quote:
The National Board of Review has named A MOST VIOLENT YEAR the 2014 Best Film of the Year.

Top 10 Independent Films: Blue Ruin, Locke, A Most Wanted Man, Mr. Turner, Obvious Child, The Skeleton Twins, Snowpiercer, Stand Clear of the Closing Doors, Starred Up, Still Alice

The National Board of Review honors diverse members of the film community at their annual Awards Gala, which also acts as a fundraiser for student grant philanthropy. Hosted by Lara Spencer, this year’s gala will take place on January 6, 2015 at Cipriani 42nd Street in New York City.
NATIONAL BOARD OF REVIEW ANNOUNCES 2014 AWARD WINNERS - National Board of Review
HitFix is reporting AMWM is excluded from WGA Awards:
Quote:
Every year there is an interesting list of ineligible contenders for the Writers Guild of America (WGA) Awards. Sometimes it's because the film's production company was not a guild signatory (though these things can often be amended retroactively, if there is a will to do so). Other times it's because the writer is not a WGA member. Whatever the case, it's their rules, and they're not that unreasonable, so no reason to get too bent out of shape about it. HitFix has obtained a copy of the official WGA ballot for this year's awards, so let's see what didn't make the cut this year…

Also nearly always ineligible are animated productions, as the companies involved are not guild signatories. So both "The Boxtrolls" and "How to Train Your Dragon 2" are absent from the adapted category. Other omissions include Andrew Bovell's "A Most Wanted Man" and Hossein Amini's "The Two Faces of January."
Exclusive: Selma, Theory, Mr. Turner among 2014 scripts not eligible for WGA Awards
Old 12-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for sharing the news, Lindsey! I'm sad about the omission, but pleased about it being included in the other list.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:33 AM
Master Fan

I feel like voters and award shows have kind of forgotten AMWM already. It's currently ranked #41 at Rotten Tomatoes' 2014 ranking and that's above award contenders like Foxcatcher and The Theory of Everything.

I think AMWM script to excluded from the WGA Awards because it's produced under a UK production company. Variety mentions the following:
Quote:
The guild’s restrictions are far more rigorous than those of SAG-AFTRA or the Directors Guild of America. Most exclusions stem from the requirement that scripts be produced under WGA jurisdiction or under a collective bargaining agreement in Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or the U.K.
Advertisement
EDIT: Academy voters received their AMWM screener:
Quote:
So far academy members have received these DVD screeners at home to be considered for Academy Awards:
Nov. 25: "A Most Wanted Man"
http://www.goldderby.com/news/7798/o...086-story.html

Last edited by winterbird; 12-04-2014 at 03:08 PM
Old 12-23-2014, 10:52 AM
Master Fan

Rachel gets a honorable mention into RopeOfSilicon's Top Ten Movies of 2014 List:
Quote:
THE ACTORS
I don't know if it's my problem or Hollywood's problem, but the rest of my honorable mentions are largely driven by male performances [...]

I will say Rachel McAdams does stand tall alongside her male counterparts in A Most Wanted Man and thankfully there were some more strong female performances to discuss in the films that made my ultimate top ten, which we can get into right now... just click on over to the next page.
Top Ten Movies of 2014 | Rope of Silicon
Old 12-23-2014, 10:39 PM
Master Fan

I'm so proud of her for that one!
Old 12-24-2014, 05:51 AM
Master Fan

Rope of Silicon usually writes good stuff on Rachel for years now They always support her and seem to love her work so far.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Master Fan

Well then I love them!
Old 12-25-2014, 11:08 AM
Master Fan

AMWM is part of Montreal Gazette's Critic's Top 10 movies of 2014:
Quote:
10. A Most Wanted Man
Philip Seymour Hoffman goes out with pitch-perfect panache in this gripping spy thriller, based on the John Le Carré novel. In his last major starring role, Hoffman — one of the finest actors of any generation who died of a drug overdose at 46 last February — turns in a particularly haunting performance as the chain-smoking, rumpled, melancholic German espionage operative, equally suspicious of his intelligence overlords as of the alleged terrorists he is monitoring.
Boyhood and Birdman among critic’s Top 10 movies of 2014 | Montreal Gazette
Old 12-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Master Fan

I love that it gets so much attention still.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:55 AM
Master Fan

AMWM was also included in Indiewire's Zach Hollwedel's Top 10 Films Of 2014:
Quote:
4. "A Most Wanted Man"
Philip Seymour Hoffman’s early death was one of the sadder pieces of news to come out of Hollywood this year, but Anton Corbijn’s film offers proof the thespian was on the top of his game when he passed. Hoffman delivers an astounding performance as Günther Bachmann, infusing the character with simultaneous gruff, mercilessness, and humor. “A Most Wanted Man” is a great modern espionage thriller—smart, fast-paced, and unpredictable to the end.
Zach Hollwedel's Top 10 Films Of 2014 | The Playlist
Old 01-09-2015, 09:48 AM
Master Fan

That's so amazing! Thanks for sharing, Lindsey.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:34 PM
Master Fan

UK contest to win the blu-ray:
Quote:
To celebrate the release of Anton Corbijn’s A MOST WANTED MAN on DVD and Blu-ray on 19th January from Entertainment One, we’ve got three to giveaway on Blu-ray!

Adapted from John Le Carre’s acclaimed novel, A MOST WANTED MAN is a smart and subtle psychological spy-thriller featuring an outstanding final lead performance from Academy Award winner Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Our review will be here later this week for this impressive and finely-paced thriller, and to be in with a chance of winning just tell us which other book Le Carre has written:

A: Tanker, Ship, U boat, Scull
B: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
C: Iron Man, Superman, Batman, Pub

Send your answer, with your name and address, to our box below with the subject ‘A Most Wanted Man‘. We’ll pick those winners on 25th January.
Win ‘A Most Wanted Man’ Starring Philip Seymour Hoffman On Blu-ray - The Hollywood News
Old 01-16-2015, 02:23 PM
Part-Time Fan

Jessica Kiang of Indiewire thought "A Most Wanted Man" was one of 2014's underrated films:

Quote:
Underrated: “A Most Wanted Man”
Perhaps “underseen” or “under-talked-about” is a better way to describe any film that has a 91% Rotten Tomatoes score and a very respectable 73 on Metacritic, but perhaps because our own review of Anton Corbijn’s John Le Carré novel adaptation was so muted, it feels like “A Most Wanted Man” made much less of an impression than it ought to have. Yet when I finally saw it, it turned out to be exactly the kind of film we purport to want more of —a grown-up movie that doesn’t handhold us through its moral gray areas (and it’s all gray area) and that sets out its stall with somber intelligence and a lovely sense of broken but partially functioning humanism. A lot of that is in Philip Seymour Hoffman’s performance (included in our 21 Best of the Year), and while it’s hard not to have sentimental feelings about the actor’s death in February cloud the issue, the depth he brings to this role exists whether you wish to read in some meta-textual foreshadowing of real-life tragedy or not. Corbijn’s direction is remarkably quiet and unshowy, even more so perhaps than with “The American” which felt like a more overtly stylized film, if just as considered. So “A Most Wanted Man” is slow for a film that can roughly be described as a spy thriller, but both its plotting and its mood are grounded and believable, even as it shapes up for a very Le Carré-esque downbeat ending. Convincingly portraying modern-day espionage as a profession of compromise and cynicism and shabby men in small rooms trying hard to remember the ideals that got them there through the double crosses and the politics, “A Most Wanted Man” is thoughtful, meaty entertainment, featuring a perfectly modulated grace-note performance from Hoffman.

The Most Overrated And Underrated Films Of 2014 | The Playlist
Old 01-17-2015, 07:24 AM
Master Fan

That's really great, thanks for sharing Lis!
Old 01-18-2015, 07:42 AM
Master Fan

I love it, and it's all so true. Thank you for sharing it!